Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1168 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:37pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Oct 01, 2004, 10:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Oct 01, 2004, 10:26pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Monica,

On your FX240, the DC jack (plug) inside the notebook (in the back) is known to come loose and lose contact inside thus creating the condition of "losing power while plugged in". This also could very well be a bad AC Adaptor. If you have another one to test with try it. If you still have a charging problem, try wiggling the plug at the back of the laptop a little to see if it makes contact and starts charging the battery.

Another way to test to see if you have a DC Plug problem is to use a Docking Station, if the docking station charges the battery then you definately have a DC Jack problem.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Monica Reategui Oct 02, 2004, 02:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

Monica Reategui Oct 02, 2004, 02:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
oops!
Joe,
Thanks for replying about my problem. for a minute i thought it will get lost in the chain. I can't belive that from the memory DIMM issue it is now going to the AC Adaptor issue. I think what you said is very true. If i wiggle the cable doesn't work though but if i unplug it while i have it on and plug it back in, the indicator shows the battery is fully charged after a minute. Meaning that while it shows in 78% charged it all of a sudden says it is fully charged? odd isn't it?

I guess that the AC adaptor is going bad as well. How can this be if my laptop has been seating in my desk all this month! has not fallen or hit anything. I don't have a docking station and i know this laptop will die one day just hopefully not soon so I will might as well buy a new one. What other laptops do you recommend to buy in the future. I am growing skepticism with this brand. Help Please, i love this laptop, it has been my companion for so long. i had apache server, java SDK, macromedia, MS Office running all together and it was working like a charm. Now with only one 128mb, i had to take the apache and SDK out and stay with only Macromedia products and my Office stuff i sometimes need. I hate to lose it but i know it is failing on me. :(

do you suggest i buy a new ac adaptor? how about to upgrade my memory. i like buying them at crucial.com but i read here that sony is propietary [sorry about the spelling]with its products and aftermarket chips makes it vulnerable.

help, suggestions? thanks,

Monica, a desperate Vaio user.

Joe K Oct 02, 2004, 08:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Monica,

I'm not sure what your problem is actually.

The fact that the battery "jumps" to being fully charged may mean your battery is simply not taking a full charge. Try this test, turn off the laptop. Remove the battery from the laptop. Now, plug in the AC power and turn the laptop on,

Does it turn on?
If it turns on, wiggle the plug while it's on, does it power off?

If it stays on and does not power off while you wiggle the power plug at the back of the laptop, chances are your AC Adaptor is fine and the DC Jack it plugs into inside the laptop is also fine. You most likely have a battery that is not taking a full charge.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Monica Reategui Oct 02, 2004, 11:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

thanks again. It is the battery, i took it out and plug the ac adaptor. I wiggled the cable and it never turned off. Best Buy gave me this battery while my laptop was on warranty since the other one was not charging very well either. after a half hour the battery will die. the new seemed to be working fine. although now it just starting giving me this uncharging issue. :(

sony sells the battery for $249! and other sites sell it for$108. do i want to spend more on this laptop. i mean is fine but not sure how worth is it. also, how about adding memory? i need it to at least be a bit faster and i had to take my other Crucial memory chip from the second slot to make it work like it does now. i will try to read your solution about the DIMM slots.

thanks again Joe.

Monica

Denis Luzin Oct 05, 2004, 01:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All!
Does anyone have old motherboard with memory issue for GRX5xx notebook?
Do you want to sell it?
I'm living in Kazakhstan, no Sony service, no good laptop repair service here.
My GRX316MP (same as GRX560) started to not boot about month ago. I tried to look at the motherboard and disassembled notebook.
After some testing I found RAM issue AND powerboard issue.
Few days ago I've fixed RAM issue and it started to work almost normally, except not charging battery in right bay.
I've disassembled it again and soldered some contacts on powerboard that was looking corroded.
Assebled again, started from battery. Everything was OK till I've plugged AC power in. Notebook shuts down immediately. No power on after it.
I've disassembled it once again and acted not as accurate as needed - I've damaged cable between motherboard and power on button. I've cut cable, cleaned contacts and used a piece of plastic to hold cable in motherboard's connector. Unfortunately I've missed right direction of cable and put is vice-versa.
When I've tried to reset notebook resistors on power button board started to smoke. I've reconnected the cable and now when I'm resetting notebook "CAPS" and "NUM" lights doesn't go off and notebook doesn't power on. I hope that the bettery board and keyboard controllers are only components that isn't working now, but I'm not sure.
I've already ordered PWS-17(power board) and cable. But it looks like I will have to change motherboard.

If anyone have used GRX5xx motherboard with RAM issue only I will gladly buy it from you.

Regards,
Dennis

Gary Longhurst Oct 05, 2004, 06:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I have to take my hat off to Joe Kabalan at AQS and add my name to the list of extremely satisfied customers. After sending my good as dead GRX316SP to him he has cured the memory slot problem and the laptop has gone from unuseable back to 100% stable for a fraction of the price that Sony wanted.

I received extremely quick and friendly service and the results are spot on.I would have absolutely no hesitation in recommending Joe & AQS to anyone who is having these problems.

Gary Longhurst

Esley Chester Oct 07, 2004, 06:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, I've just completed 25 pages of reading the same type of problems I've been dealing with for 2 months. Sony wants to charge me $700 to send my GRZ610 for them to swap the motherboard.....yeah right! I can't afford that. If someone can send me information about the class action suit I would really appreciate it, I'm jumping on that wagon because that is the only way I think I can replace or fix my computer at this time. The only tactics I haven't read about in starting the computer is taping the laptop on the right side. When I do this, the hard drive will kick in. Sometimes it will boot all the way up and run and sometimes it won't I have to re-boot several times (even if I don't move the computer) to get it to work. I'm going to play with the memory as suggested later and re-post to inform the results. Joe Kalaban, once I get some extra money and a break from work, I will call and send my computer to you if I can't get it to work properly. This laptop is only 18 months old! I thought the computer technology would pass the computer but this is still a good fast computer. Thank everyone for taking their time to post. I'm glad I ran accross this site, now I feel like I have a team with me against Sony.

Sip Chester

Mark Traphagen Oct 07, 2004, 07:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sip:

Sounds like you and I had a similar problem, since banging the right side of my GRV670 would ususally get it to boot. Solution that worked for me was putting something small and heat resistant, like a chip of a broken CD, between the memory holders and the access panel, so that there would be slight pressure on the holders. Since doing that, my laptop boots 95% of the time.

Esley Chester Oct 07, 2004, 07:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Mark, that is what I'm going to try. I haven't mustered the energy to want to fool with it today.

Sip

Esley Chester Oct 08, 2004, 08:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I'm fully frustrated again! I got up this morning with time on my hands to mess around with my computer and tried all the tricks I read about. I removed eash memory chip, changed them around, and also tried the broken piece of CD as an interim control. None worked, I had to go back to tapping on the right side to boot. After 7 trys, I got it up and running. Is there anything else it may be??? Maybe a loose motherboard or something???

Sip

Mark Traphagen Oct 08, 2004, 11:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sip:

Just as a final test, try pressing on the memory chip access panel as you press the power button. If it boots right away, you just need to "thicken" whatever you put under the panel to put on the pressure. I had to play with it a bit until I got the right amount of pressure. Crazy that we have to do such things on a multi-thousand dollar machine, isn't it?

Mark

Esley Chester Oct 08, 2004, 11:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Mark, I'll try that one too and yes you are right.....it's a shame we have to go through all these "things" just to do the common task of booting up a $2000.00 machine that Sony won't be responsible for.

Sip

Steven Proe Oct 08, 2004, 02:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Folks: This is what Sony should do as had HP andnow Dell Laptops. Millions of Dell Power Adapters recalled.

It can be found at " http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-54031129.html "

Hope this helps in the classaction suit as to what a repituable manufacture of Laptops should and has done when a faulty product is discovered.

thx. to All
Steven Proe

Esley Chester Oct 08, 2004, 02:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just tried to press on the memory door as I turned on the computer and it took me 6 times to finally get booted. I'm back to taping on the right side again. This is crazy!!!

Sip

Predator Oct 08, 2004, 04:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow Esley. You sure posted a lot of things on this page. Anyway, number one solution to this problem.

1. NEVER GET SONY FOR COMPUTERS.
2. GET SONY FOR EVERYTHING BESIDES COMPUTERS.
3. FOLLOW THIS ADVICE.
4. IT WILL SAVE YOU MONEY AND TIME.

;););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););););)

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
DFI LanParty UT nForce4 Ultra-D

New Forum: http://www.cyberitforums.com
Esley Chester Oct 11, 2004, 01:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I'm back to square one. I tinkered with this laptop and "thought" I had the problem fixed. I eventually removed the battery and put some torge on some loose screws. It booted up 6 consecutive times but last night.......nothing for several attempts. This morning, after 4 times, it came up and is working fine. What a freaking waste of time!!!! Did anyone get any information on the class action suite? I still would like information on how to join. Thanks

Sip

Pedro Ferreira Oct 11, 2004, 01:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear friends!

I have a PCG-GRV 616 and I have the same problem. My computer is only 13 months old. I'm very disapointed with it. No more Sony notebooks, especially after reading this!
If someone have the answer, please could you send it to me?
Thank you
Pedro

Tony Felber Oct 11, 2004, 01:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same issue here, I have been working with it for a couple of weeks. The pressure fix doesn't always work and when I remove/replace DIMMs I sometimes get 256 and sometimes 512.

I think the design of the MB is the primary problem and the reason Sony won't offer a solution. If you have removed the top cover and looked at the heat dissipation mechanism you will see there are two solid tubes hooked to a heat sink over an inch from the the CPU. The fan blows air through the heat sink, but this mechanism can't possibly dissipate the heat generated by the 2.4MHZ or faster CPU.

Then there is the issue of the temperature shut off and memory. By looking at the layout of the MB you can see the caps utilized for the temperature shot off and the memory slots are in very close proximity to the CPU. So if the heat can't be dissipated by the heat sink it goes elsewhere, to the caps and DIMM slots and deteriorates the solder, etc.

So, as you can probably see, replacing the MB won't fix the problem, only extend the inevitable. I own a number of Sony products including TV's, camcorders, digital cameras, Clie TH55 handheld, DVD players, and notebooks. I recommend their products to all my friends. But, no more!!!

Kevin Walker Oct 12, 2004, 09:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 12, 2004, 09:35am EDT

I'm having some of the same issues with my PCG-FX340. I have one month left on my 3yr extended warranty. I dropped it off to Best Buy repair yesterday.

Question is, what do you think Best Buy repair will do. Fix it correctly, send it back to me with the same problem...or offer me some type of replacement.

Thanks.

Kevin

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.