Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 729 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:36am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Oct 25, 2004, 10:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Oct 25, 2004, 10:09pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Mark,

Sounds like your hard drive is toast just like Denis suggested.

Denis,

That is great news about starting the business!!! eBay is a great place to start searching for equipment. Also, try the link below, they list SMD / SMT equipment all over the world.

http://www.equipmatching.com/used_equipment

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Denis Luzin Oct 25, 2004, 10:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you Joe!

Scotty Scott Oct 26, 2004, 11:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
RE. DELL. I agree with Mikael Wejsflog as I had a Dell 7000 laptop which lasted only 3.5 years then the motherboard went bust. Not worth replacing so I bought the unfortunate Sony GRX550. I am recommending Fujitsu-Siemens at my computer club at the moment but this is only based on a 1 year observation but support is local at a high-tech superstore.
But maybe this make could develop faults in the near future - who knows?!.
But the question still remains as to why a giant like Sony treats its customers like dirt when it can well afford to sort out the problems that this forum has so widely discussed.

Regards,
Scotty - another satisfied Joe K customer.

justin lee Oct 26, 2004, 01:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem, just recently I have discovered that my laptop , Sony Vaio PCG-GRV 670, is only showing up 256 mb of ram, half of the orginal. I have read about the pressure memory technique but am worry about further damaging my laptop. Should I try it? I have notice that my laptop does show 512 mb on the first startup on a day, but if i restart or shut down and turn it back on, it only shows 256 mb of ram. I have contacted Sony but to no avail. If I buy a 512 ram memory stick for slot 1, would this be okay, since I have read the first post stating that it may not work.

mark doyle Oct 26, 2004, 02:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks for your opinions denis and joe.
I was hoping that it wasn't the Hdd since I could access it when I boot from fllopy or cd but one could only hope. I guess I'll just find a way to ghost it to my desktop p.c. untill I get another laptop nonsony by way! thanks again I'll keep on checking from time to time though to see if anyone else has encountered the symtomatic problem.'
mark.

Joe K Oct 27, 2004, 12:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 27, 2004, 12:34pm EDT

Hi Justin,

You asked:

"Should I try it?"

---- You can only do damage if you apply too much pressure on the connector. Also, do not apply pressure on the thin plastic tabs that hold the RAM chip in place, apply the pressure on the body of the connector. Please be aware that this is only a temp fix.

"I have notice that my laptop does show 512 mb on the first startup on a day, but if i restart or shut down and turn it back on, it only shows 256 mb of ram."

---- That is because when the system is cold, the leads on the DIMM connector are making contact with the motherboard pads. As the system gets warm, those leads start to lift away from the motherboard and losing contact. The actual DIMM leads are not really "lifting" away, the motherboard is actually pulling away from the leads of the connector.

"I have contacted Sony but to no avail. If I buy a 512 ram memory stick for slot 1, would this be okay, since I have read the first post stating that it may not work. "

---- 512mb RAM will work in one slot. As long as the slot is working.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Joe Kabalan
justin lee Oct 27, 2004, 02:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Joe for the fast reply, I will try buying a 512 memory stick for slot one. I hope it works. Anyway I have read that you are a great person and is excellent in repairing sony vaios. I was wondering how much would you charge to fix something like this? Thanks again in advance.

justin lee Oct 27, 2004, 02:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe, I have another question regarding the memory. I am planning to purchase a 512 memory card. Is there a compatiblity issue that I should know of concerning brand names. I know that I need a PC2100, 200 pin sodimm memory card, but there are many brand names. Do you have a recommendation? Currently I am looking at the Corsair and Kingmax brands from newegg.com.

thanks in advance.

Paul Secret Oct 27, 2004, 06:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all. I also have a faulty F series (an FX105 to be accurate).

Basically when you power it on the HD clicks and the power light comes on (plus the HD activity light for a second) then it just goes quiet - no HD activity but the power stays lit. At no point does the screen come on.

My questions are:
Does this fit the profile of any particular know fault?

Is it something I could attempt to repair myself - and what to try (have tried removing the CMOS bat)?

If my only option is to send away (im in the UK), would I be better to try and sell on eBay for spares - the machine is 3 years old but has been unused since it's first month due to the problem (we were sent a replacement and this one was never colected). Apart from not working the unit is in perfect condition! Any ideas what it's worth for spares or as a fixer upper?

Was so pleased to find this group, hope you can help.

Regards

Paul

Joe K Oct 27, 2004, 08:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Paul,

Did you try removing or moving the RAM chip out of the slot clostest to the rear of the system? Only leave a RAM chip in the front slot.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Oct 27, 2004, 08:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Justin,

We charge $149.00 plus return shipping for the RAM slot repair. Turn around time is usually 1 - 2 business days.

As for the RAM, any name brand will do fine. Just as long as the specs you mentioned match up, you'll be fine.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Paul Secret Oct 27, 2004, 09:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe, thanks for the response. As I recall the machine only ever had 1 RAM used which was the factory default slot. Since then we removed that RAM and added it to the replacement lappy :) I did put the RAM back in the other day to see if I could get it to start - but I can't remember which slot I tried. I'll try again when I get home.

Joe K Oct 27, 2004, 09:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Paul,

The RAM from Sony comes in the bad slot (toward rear of system)

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Paul Secret Oct 27, 2004, 09:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In that case I'll head home and check it asap. Many thanks.

Paul

Kevin Walker Oct 28, 2004, 08:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Got my FX340 back from Best Buy repair yesterday. I was told they repaired it at the Best Buy service center and not at Sony.

They told me that the memory slot was resoldered.

It worked flawlessly last night. Hope that was it. Anyone want to buy it now? :)

justin lee Oct 28, 2004, 09:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks again for the quick reply Joe K. I was wondering if I should leave the memory card in slot 2 even though its not working. Will it further damage my laptop in anyway, or should I remove the memory card just to be safe.?

Joe K Oct 28, 2004, 09:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Justin,

Remove the RAM that is in the non-working slot.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Joe Kabalan
Paul Secret Oct 28, 2004, 06:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone. I tried booting my machine with the memory in the other slot as suggested - and also the original again both times I also tried it with some extra pressure on the memory slot. Same symptoms as before:

LED's flash on, internal fan comes on and harddrive starts to spinup for less than a second. The hardrive then goes quiet. The screen stays black. The Power / Batt LED's stay lit and the internal fan stays on. Otherwise nothing else happens (although the battery charge indecator flashes).

For the record, I also tried booting with no memory in place and the exact same behaviour is seen.

What to try next?

Thanks

Paul

Denis Luzin Oct 28, 2004, 08:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear Paul,

Do you have another RAM module? Is it bit thicker or bit thiner than original came with laptop?
If thicker - try to put this one to one slot and then to another one if no success. If still no success - try pressure thing again.
You can also try to put your laptop into cool place, let it cold down and then try to boot it again (if bad soldering this may help temporary), but do not put your laptop into freezer!

If this will not help - there can be two issues:
1. Both memory slots aren't in working order (fixable) (most probably)
2. Your CPU died (exchangeable) (probably)
3. Physical damage of motherboard (almost no chance, but who knows?) - this also may be fixed, but not by SONY (almost no way)
4. Something else (don't know)

Anyway, I can strongly recommend you to send your laptop to Joe, he has big experienece with VAIOs, he also has all diagnostics equipoment needed, so he can fix it for sure.

Best regards,
Dennis

Milton Velez Oct 28, 2004, 08:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well folks, I just finished 28 pages of reading and my emotions have been on quite a ride. I have a GRZ660. I bought it about 18 months ago and just last night, I noticed it was sluggish. I rebooted and checked System Properties. It reported only 256 of the 512 installed. So, I freaked out and decided to swap the sticks. That worked until the next reboot. So here I am... a little nervous at the thought of system failure (from some people's stories) or a little livid from the apparent indifference of an electronics giant. One would think they have read these stories and would be willing to help, if ONLY to make us SHUT UP!

Anyway, I'm going to try the tips on vaioshutdown.com, but I think Joe will save the day (Joe, I don't even know you, but you seem like a godsend.)

Is there anything other than the overheating (my fan gets extremely loud sometimes) and memory issues that are unique to the GRZs?

milton :(
new jersey

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.