Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1117 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:02am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Oct 28, 2004, 11:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Oct 06, 2007, 10:57pm EDT

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Milton,

I highly suggest you clean the CPU cooling fan and heat sink assembly before you end up with the power circuit problem. If you do develop a power circuit problem, we can take care of it, but preventive maintenance is always a good thing.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Joe K Oct 29, 2004, 12:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Paul,

Dennis maybe right about the CPU being bad. Try removing the coin cell CMOS battery under the small door on the bottom of the laptop. It's removed by depressing it further into the notebook and pulling it out. With the CMOS battery out, apply AC power and try to power on the system.

Let us know what happens.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Paul Secret Oct 29, 2004, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, same with CMOS batt removed as before.

Also, I noticed that the HD makes one or two soft clicks in the second after the initial whirr of powerup before it falls silent.

Cheers

Guido Licheri Oct 30, 2004, 01:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

I contacted a PC magazine in Italy and they contacted sony about my 2 GRV 616 now dead.

Can you tell me if possible how many vaio did you repaired approx. until now?

Thanks you for all.

Guido

Gilbert Olson Oct 30, 2004, 02:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 30, 2004, 02:08pm EDT

Hello All,
I am a Vaio owner as well, GRX580 bought 2-03. Bought it from Ultimate Electronics. Also bought an extended warranty from retailer. I use my computer extensively, daily. I own 2 companies and this computer is with me all day every day. 6-10 hrs daily it is likely to be on. I have been happy with it since purchase.
However, when I bought it I did not receive the $200.00 rebate I applied for. Also get this... the Sony website did not even recognize the model # of this computer when I went to register it online. Had to call it in, to this day I am not a registered owner of a $2700.00 laptop even though I jumped through hoops to get it registered. No big deal. Let it ride I told myself.
Then about 5 weeks ago my computer crashed while surfing, it did so exactly after hitting enter to execute a task. Never to reboot again. Long story short is, it went to retailer for service, Plano, Tx. From there it was sent to a third party repair company called Fast Track Service Center out of Bloomington, Mn. From there it was sent to a repair facility in California. I do not know who. The repair order states "replaced CPU power board tested and returned". I got it back yesterday.
Cool it works fine at the store, no black screen, runs POST, boots ok fine I'll take it home. Well I get home and tadaaaa no 512mb RAM, 256 instead. So I call the young lady who was just a dream to work with at that particular Ultimate Electronics, her hands are tied, she will have to get back with me next Monday. No big deal I say. She does not know what I NOW know. Only last night did I find this forum and extensive thread.
I tried all of the common sense, obvious "quick" fixes before finding this site, only to have my thoughts reinforced. Placing pressure on the memory board has no effect on this system.
My question would be... has anyone experienced this issue after getting computer back from "CPU Power Board" ( motherboard ?) replaced?
Also I did not see a recent post regarding the status of the Class Action Suit. Is there actually a lawsuit or not? If so, how might I participate. This computer will fail again... no doubt.
I will keep you informed as to the outcome of the dead mem slot after repairs...thank goodness I still have a extended warranty that is valid for 5 more months.

Gilbert H. Olson
President, CEO
Willow Capitol Investments
Regional Sales Mgr.
Automated Information Retrieval Southwest, Inc. (AIR)
http://www.airsw.net

Gilbert Olson Oct 30, 2004, 02:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Once Again,

Just a follow up and questions.... In thinking about the loose terminals at the mem slot it occured to me that I probably should tighten them up as best as possible, using the cardboard/ wedge solution. I know its just a patch, temporary until correct course of action can be obtained through warranty. But I wanted to see if it worked...it did. I'll have a bullet in my gun for the repair folks. I do not like the fact that I have now applied a cheesy "rig" to my expensive computer. If I were to have left it alone would that have damaged a mem card? Should I leave it as is for now...reporting 512mb RAM after cardboard installation?
Joe K, do you accept 3rd party warranty companies as payee? If not I'll suck it up and pay it then argue with them. Also, does your repair seem to be a long term correct repair. In other words, can I get many years of service after that repair assuming all things being equal and reasonable?

Thank you all for your time, best regards,

Gilbert H. Olson
President/ CEO
Regional Sales Mgr.
Air Southwest

Joe K Oct 30, 2004, 04:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 06, 2007, 10:56pm EDT

Hi Paul,
Yes, the clicking noise I think you're talking about is normal. That's just the hard drive initializing itself. You shouldn't be hearing any loud clanking though. I'm also assuming you left the rear memory slot empty right? You have to have one stick of RAM installed at all times in order for the system to boot. Use the front RAM slot. If no luck, then your system needs further detailed troubleshooting.

Guido,
I don't have exact numbers, I can tell you that between the GRX, GRV, FX and GRZ lines we've repaired about 350 - 375 full systems for end users. Between our regular eBay Buyers / Sellers and repair center / depot customers which include single motherboard repairs (out of system / case, motherboard alone) it would have to be approaching the 600 or 700 within the past year and a half. Please be advised these numbers are an estimate.

Gilbert,

What's a "CPU Power Board"? Never heard of it, I just went through the service manual that lists every single part in that system and there is no such part. We do not work on "Terms" such as net 30 ect with anyone that we haven't established a relationship with. That means if the warranty company would like us to repair your notebook, they would have to pay us before that laptop leaves here and is sent back to you. See if they'll go for it?

You asked:

"If I were to have left it alone would that have damaged a mem card? Should I leave it as is for now...reporting 512mb RAM after cardboard installation?"

----------> There is a good chance that either the RAM chip would have been damaged or possibly the CPU itself, but that would probably result if you used the system for a long period of time. You should use the system with the pressure fix temporarily definitely make sure the warranty company resolves the issue ASAP.

"does your repair seem to be a long term correct repair. In other words, can I get many years of service after that repair assuming all things being equal and reasonable?"

----------> Our repair of the memory slots should last the life of the computer. As for the rest of the system, I have no idea and cannot make any claim as to the longevity of any part in that computer.

Joe Kabalan
Kenneth Y Oct 30, 2004, 04:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

Found this site today and read most of the messages in here.

I have a old sony vaio laptop PCG-748 and I'm having problems to boot up my computer.......
A week ago I noticed that my battery was not charging so I wiggled the AC connector and was able to charge a little bit until my AC adaptor stopped working...In the meantime my battery was draining when I was using the computer. A day later I tried to boot up the computer and went half way and the computer shut down. I tried powering it on again but nothing happened. (NO led was on/flashing even though the AC power was plugged in)...
So thinking it was just the AC unit (tested the unit and confirmed it was dead)..I went to buy a replacement one on ebay. When I got it and plugged it in nothing happened. I tested the new AC and is functioning.

My question is ... should I buy another battery?? Is my current one completely dead? I tried taking out the battery and boot using the AC but still doesn't work...so could it be the connection on the motherboard and the AC power plug?? If so how can i fix it.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks : )

Kenneth

Gilbert Olson Oct 30, 2004, 05:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Joe,

Thank you for your timely response... on a Saturday no less. I suppose my question about the "CPU Power Board" was more a rhetorical one that should have been directed to the folks who repaired it. Indeed I have never heard of this part before myself. I am not a professional as you are but, I have built (assembled) each and every desktop I have owned, and several for the family as well. So I am quite familiar with computer hardare. This VAIO is the 1st proprietary computer I have owned.

To quote the entire comment by the repair tech..." Sent BTF, REF 9830 replaced cpu power board tested and returned". Exactly as written...is the "BTF, REF 9830 a reference to a repair bulletin issued in some sort of industry document? Not sure myself. Pobably an internal dispatching, payroll code of some sort.

Thanks for your opinion on the use of the cardboard. I will heed your advice and use it temporarily.

I would not allow work to leave until I was paid as well. Furthermore I would not allow anyone, let alone an aftermarket warranty company, dictate pricing. Your response implies you have had some degree of experience with them. They can be impossible to deal with, thats why I was curious to know if you would accept their payment. I'll bet they won't go for having you make the repairs anyways.

I know you have no way of predicting other component failures, I was curious as to the degree of longterm success of your repair procedures. I understand they are permanent fixes, that is what I am after.

I come from a 20 yr career in the new car dealership service and repair industry. I am currently master certified by ASE. I have worked with the public in a high profile, extrememly demanding environment as well. I must say Joe, although I know it is self serving to some extent for you to come to this board and help folks, I have not seen too many people talk about your demeanor. You are a good man. I am glad I have found this web forum, even if it is only to be able to send my computer to you for the fix.

Best Regards,

Gilbert H. Olson
President / CEO
Regional Sales Mgr.
AIR Southwest, Inc

Gilbert Olson Oct 30, 2004, 05:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

For what its worth I have posted the only response Sony has on their website regarding the RAM memory loss issue. I found this last night while searching for my answers. This has been cut and pasted from their support pages, specifically the knowledge base pages pertaining to my model # PCG-GRX580.

" IQ Knowledge Base Article C336582

The amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) displayed in the System Properties window is less than the amount of RAM physically installed in the computer.

SOLUTION:
The amount of Random Access Memory (RAM) available to the operating system may be less than the amount of RAM physically installed in the computer. Some video adapters, antivirus applications, and the BIOS cache may utilize system memory. This memory may no longer be available to the operating system and may not be listed in the System Properties window."

Paul Secret Oct 30, 2004, 07:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,

Yeah the HD clicks just sound like normal activity - just reporting it in case it was helpfull in any way. Yes I tried the RAM in both slots - and only tried without to see if the resonse was any different (and therefore perhaps give some clue).

What can I try next? If I was based in the US I would send it too you but I imaging the shipping cost might make that prohibitive. I am worried that if I take it to a local repair shop they would just send it to SONY or just say "new motherboard required" and ask for . Based on the fact this machine has cost me nothing I'm tempted to just sell it on eBay as is. I would like to get it running and am not afraid to try the repair myself if possible (I've built nearly every PC I've ever owned) and am pretty handy with a soldering iron - if I just knew what I was looking for!

Cheers

Paul

Denis Luzin Oct 30, 2004, 10:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kenneth,

Two cases with your problem:

1. DC jack on your motherboard is broken out (most like), SONY DC jacks are weak and soldered to motherboard very slightly, your jack probably lost central lead as it happens with other VAIO models. In this case you need to replace jack. Jack itself can be found at eBay and soldered quite easy, but I strongly recommend you to bring your laptop to professional repair service for that.

2. When your AC adapter failed it may caused damage to motherboard. If you are familiar with screwdriver you can check a fuse located at motherboard near to jack. If it is clean and no signs of fire and you have a simple lov voltage tester (Ohmmetr for example) you can just check this fuse. Fuse is marked as "F..." or "FB..." on the motherboard. It is white in color and easy to find. If your tester reports that fuse has 0 or near to 0 resistance (fuse allows current to came through) - the fuse is OK and you should bring the computer to the repair shop for motherboard/powerboard diagnostics, if not - you should also go to the computer repair shop and ask them to oversolder the fuse with the same/compatible one.

I had two F series VAIOs came to me with fuse burnt out. Both of them started to work fine after fuse oversoldering.

Remember, you are disassembling your laptop at your own risk. Do not mix screws, they have diffenet lenght and you can simply damage motherboard when you are putting long screw to the place of short one.

Before disassempling and tisting you should put out your battery and disconnect AC adapter of course.

Best regards,
Dennis

Kenneth Y Oct 31, 2004, 12:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for your response Dennis.

I will try to get someone (a professional) to check it out for me.

Thanks again,

Kenneth

Alex H. Nov 01, 2004, 10:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all, I've been experiencing similar problems, I have a PCG GRV680 and I bought it like 20 months ago. Like 4 days ago Windows XP started to show me blue screens and I had to restart my computer, almost every program was having problems, and I found out that my pc was detecting only 256mb in the bios and in windows system properties, so I put the recovery CD and installed windows again.

All was fine except for the fact that it was still detecting 256mb. I think it is only detecting one memory slot. The strange thing is that today, i turned on my pc and it appears me 512mb, I think I read that it is temporary because then the notebook heats on.

So I have 2 questions\
1) I don't live in the USA but I bought in in Best Buy and I payed for extended warranty. Do you think they will solve the problem? Or I should buy a 512mb memory?

2) I think many of you have this problem. When you have many programs and using all the resources, your notebook turns off, because of the heat. What advice could I follow to avoid this? How can I clean my notebook? Can they clean my notebook for free in Best Buy or can I do it?

THANKS!!!

Kris R. Nov 01, 2004, 06:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everybody,

I have a question, can anyone tell me if the Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ 610 has a CMOS battery? Sony says that it doesn't, yet my clock will not keep time, it even goes backwards. We have formatted and re-installed Windows XP Home Edition, no difference, so I am guessing that is is not a software conflict. It doesn't matter if I have this thing running on AC or battery, I get the same results. Also, it has decided that we have the second optional battery, which we don't. I think it is possessed!! Someone please help!
Thanks,
Kris

Kris
Joe K Nov 01, 2004, 09:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 06, 2007, 10:57pm EDT

Hi Alex,

There have been reports that Best Buy's regional service center will repair the DIMM Slots under warranty. So definitely have this repaired using your warranty. If you buy a 512mb chip it will work for now, but there is always a good chance the "Good" slot very well may go bad in the near future. I'm sure Best Buy would clean the CPU cooling system if you tell them it's overheating.

There are directions I send to people that ask me about cleaning the cooling system, so I'll post it below. The directions are for the GRX line, but the GRV series is very similar.

=============================
In order to simply clean out the CPU and Video Chip cooling fans, follow these directions.

>>>>>>>>>>REMOVE ALL POWER FROM THE SYSTEM (AC ADAPTOR AND BATTERY)<<<<<<<<<

Remove the power button bar lock screw under the USB flip door on the left side of the laptop. Then slide the power button bar to the left and up. Then flip the power button bar to rest against the LCD screen. Try and avoid pulling the power button and memory reader cables out of the connectors on the motherboard. These cables become damaged very easily.

Then, remove the Keyboard lock screw located in toward the center of the system and flip the keyboard up and rest on the touchpad area, there is no need to remove the cable from the motherboard connector. Now, you have full access to both fans and cooling systems. Take a small screw driver or other similar object and stick it in between the fan blades to stop the fan from spinning. With the fans held in place (do one area at a time) apply compressed air to the fans and heat sink components from top (inside system) and back vent area (back of laptop) and bottom air inlet located on the bottom of the laptop.

Re-assemble.
=============================

Kris,

The GRZ series DOES have a CMOS battery. I have no idea why Sony would tell you that. Remove the power button bar and it's a green battery right below it. It sounds like you to simply unplug the battery from the motherboard and re-connect it. Check the voltage of the battery (with no AC or Battery power) it should read 2.4v.

Joe Kabalan
Kris R. Nov 02, 2004, 06:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I knew they were feeding me a line. I hate to sound stupid, but I don't want to mess things up, I am not afraid to take things apart, but is there a trick to getting the power button out? I had no problems replacing the monitor on my son's Panasonic Toughbook, but these Sony's are so different. I think it is more that, to me, they seem so "delicate", I don't want to break it. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate your help, you are a God send!

Kris

Kris
Luke Johnston Nov 02, 2004, 07:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Things that make you go Hummmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I own a Vaio PCG-GRZ630 and also developed the No Boot Problem. I tried everything. I even asked for forgivness from the laptop gods! Today I gave up and drove 45 minuttes to CompUSA to speak with a technician. Same old story, I was told I needed a new motherboard at a cost of $1000 with install. After that news I began looking at new laptops. I left the store feeling sick. I wondered home and began a full-on search on the web and came across this site.

Thanks so much for being here!!!!!! The shrink tube fix is working and I am running on a full 512mb of memory!!!!!!!

I will post again if and when it stops working!

Please let me know if any class action is taken. I'm in!

Thanks again!

Luke

Joe K Nov 02, 2004, 08:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 02, 2004, 08:31pm EST

Kris,

You're going to remove to whole power button bar not just the power button. There should be a little rubber round plug I think a little off center to the left on the power button bar. Pick that rubber out of the hole to expose the lock screw. Remove the screw and slide the whole bar to the left (I think) that should expose the green CMOS battery.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Kris R. Nov 02, 2004, 09:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

Thanks!! We found the CMOS battery, took it out, couldn't really check it, but we put it back and it seems to be keeping the time so far!! Wooo Hoooo! Thanks a million!

Kris

Kris

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.