Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1086 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:03am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Hsing Chang Nov 14, 2004, 06:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I thought i was the ONLY unlucky one having problem with my memory socket ><:; I bought my PCG-FX340 in year 2002 summer, works fine until year 2003(just after warranty) then one morning my laptop won't boot. I was in panic and later on after a long time, i figured out that one of the ram socket has problem. The laptop came with 128 MB or ram and i bought another 256 MB of ram from Crucial. It works great until that morning, similar problem like others, laptop bootup, see hdd light, lcd light.. but simply won't bootup to windows and the laptop reboots itself after 30 secs or so. I almost sent the laptop to Calgary for repairing(time consuming and $$$ consuming), and the telephone help person was not very sincere, so i decided to figure out the problems myself. By accideent, i tried taking out the memory and bootup the laptop. I found out that if both memory sticks are installed, laptop will not boot. If only one memory is installed in one of the socket, then it boots fine and both memory sticks were tested fine. So it must be one of the socket being broken. Is there a way to fix this type of problem? or are we stock being able to using ONLY one of the ram socket?

Hsing from Canada(Winnipeg)
12Nov.2004

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rick Smith Nov 16, 2004, 12:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony - how do you sleep at night ?
I was going to describe how much I enjoyed taking it up the a$$ by Sony also – but it sounds like you all know what if feels like !

GRX560 for 1year, doesn’t boot. Replace motherboard. Works for anther 6months… now doesn’t boot again !!!!!! Sony tells me its going to $800 to repair something that is quite clearly a manufacturing fault!!! Which hundreds of people are experiencing.
Ive tried all the suggestions – none of them have worked for me (for a prolonged period of time anyway)

I HATE SONY !!!

I bought your over-priced paper-weight in good faith you bunch of ba$tards!!!

DOWN WITH SONY !!!

If anyone is getting anywhere with any of this, contact me, I’d love to help.

James Acuna Nov 16, 2004, 05:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony LAPTOP Booting problem
Hi same old same old....

SONY PCG-FX370, and until recently, the only love of my life shut down, the only thing working was the green power lcd Light. I found this forum through google, did what everyone else did... put pressure on the panel cover of the memory chips (I only have one 256mb chip in slot#1... no chip in slot#2).... after trying this three times with no luck, the fourth time.... I really really pushed hard on it while turning on the power button.... and walla, it boots! I know this will happen again... so right now I'm looking at several websites including http://vaioshutdown.com to see if they can do a permanent fix on it so that won't happen again... I haven't heard a reply yet, but for now, I definitely know that I will have to backup all my files.

rob canning Nov 17, 2004, 09:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

Another very unhappy sony customer here.

I have a sony PCG-GRX with bad memory slots . sent it back to sony in france for repairs they wanted to charge $700 for a new mobo so i just had it returned to me.
I switched the memory to the other slot and it worked for about another year.

now the second slot has died.

i can boot up by applying pressure to the ram but:

the cpu fan spins briefly then stops - so, i don't hang around to watch it fry. maybe it comes on when it heats up but i would have thought the cpu fan should always be on.
anyone any ideas how to fix this? (i'm in the UK)

many thanks,

rob

Jaromir Mikes Nov 17, 2004, 10:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got problem with my SONY VAIO PCG-FX140 laptop: Laptop doesn't boot up at all. After power on, the power led, cooler fan and DVD-rom turns on but that's all. Screen stays blank. Problem appered after BIOS upgrade. During BIOS upgrade laptop colapsed and went off. I tried to remove RAM or put it in second slot (only one 128MB, original), it doesn't help.
I'm trying to locate BIOS chip inside, becauese I have friends of mine, who are able to flash BIOS, but I can't find a bios chip....
Can you help me at least to locate a BIOS inside, please?
Thanks folks!

Julius Suarez Nov 18, 2004, 11:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got a big serious problem with my SONY VAIO PCG-FXA47laptop: Laptop doesn't boot up at all. After power on, the power led, cooler fan and DVD-rom turns on but that's all. Screen stays blank. Problem appered after BIOS upgrade. During BIOS upgrade laptop colapsed and went off. I am troubled with this thing. What is my fastest thing to do?Please help me folks.
Thanks a lot...God Bless u

Joe K Nov 18, 2004, 11:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jaromir Mikes,

During the BIOS flash, was the RAM chip installed in the slot clostest to the front (touchpad) of the system?

The BIOS chip is located on the back or bottom of the motherboard near the reset button. Intel chip.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Jaromir Mikes Nov 19, 2004, 01:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K!
Thaks for locating BIOS ;o)) ! RAM was during bios update exactlly in slot you did specify. I didn't move it from original position, although I tried that after disfunction and of course it didn't help.
I got another question for you folks. Is there any jumper or switch for booting from FDD right to BIOS? I heard that something like that use to be on mother boards in IBM laptops.
Thanks.

Julius Suarez Nov 19, 2004, 11:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone!Pls help me, im little bit nervous of my laptop PCG-FXA47, it did not boot up at all.Where can i order new bios chip with this the same model?hoh....
I'l wait...
God bless you

rob canning Nov 20, 2004, 12:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,

i was wondering does anyone know is the fact that my cpu fan no longer spins related to the memory slot problem?

my second memory slot died and the cpu fan no longer spins - i have got the memory working again by apply pressure to it but the fan still doesn't work.

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,

rob

bob y Nov 20, 2004, 06:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear UK , EU & SCANDINAVIAN customers,

If you got DIMM slot problem with your vaio....you can do it here in london...it is simple and safer than send to US......might be you can sort out with in 2 to 3 hours

You don't need to send your laptops to usa for repair......i found a good option for you... it is cheap and safer.... contact me personaly i will let you know the details case by case basis ....the_daily_mirror@yahoo.co.uk

REGARDS
BOB

Joe K Nov 20, 2004, 11:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jaromir,

That is why the BIOS flash failed. You cannot have RAM installed in the front slot during the flash (FX Series Only) . There is no jumper to enable "Boot Block" the Intel flash chip does not support Boot Block and the motherboard is not setup for that function.

The chip needs to be removed and re-programmed and then re-mounted. We can sell you a pre-programmed chip then you would have to remove and mount the new chip.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
Franklin Metcalf Nov 22, 2004, 07:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Folks,
I would just like to let you know that if you want to fix your Vaio, you just need to send it to Joe and he will take care of it. I happen to be one of the unfortunate ones to own a SONY. After several email's between us, that he answered very promptly I might add, I decided to ship it to him. Upon arrival, he let me know the problem within 2 hours! It was repaired and returned to me in 2 days. It now works like it should and the charges.........very reasonable! Thank you Joe for your help. You could teach the "GREAT SONY CORP" a few things!!
I have sent Sony numerous emails and haved called many times letting them know that they created this problem by putting such junk on the market. The only response I got from them.....Fill out our survey on how your problem was handled. DUH!! Problem NOT HANDLED!!
I make a point to spread my experiences to anyone I can with the "GREAT SONY CORP" and have successfully let SONY'S actions change many minds. I fully intend to continue until SONY makes this right. Class action suit.....I hope someone sues their pants off!
Shame on you SONY........your a PHONY!!
Thanks again, Joe.

Chuck M.
Alabama
dis25@aol.com">Odis25@aol.com

george sweitzer Nov 23, 2004, 10:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same dimm slot problem for another vaio fx340. after numerous emails with sony they suggested i call and speak to them in person. they said they have no knowledge of this issue and will repair for a fee. i went through 8 reps in the course of an hour and provided them with this site addy and the online petition addy. the final rep told me that there is no one else to speak with and that sony would not open any site that is not a sony website. they would not look at this site, nor the online petition. the rep told me that they have engineers checking the internet everyday for information like this, i told him to look no further i have the addy. he rudely said if it was out there they would find it, no need to supply the addy. he then repeated that there is no known problem regarding this issue.
sony does know and doesn't want to deal with us. guess this problem just doesn't exist. i'm done with sony.

Mike Smith Nov 23, 2004, 11:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 23, 2004, 11:22pm EST

Add me to the list. I have a PCG-GRX560. About 2 years old. I noticed it was running very slowly, disk drive thrashing, etc, checked the computer properties and saw I had 256 MB showing even though I had 512 installed. After playing around with switching memory slots, etc, I thought the problem was a bad memory stick so I bought a new one. Two days later, same problem. Searched the web, found this page.

THANKS to all the folks who have posted here. I was planning to get rid of the computer (after I just bought a new 7200 rpm drive for it last week that isn't even installed yet). Now I guess I'll try some of the fixes here and eventually send it to Joe.

If anyone goes forward with a lawsuit, let me know - I'm in. This seems like far too widespread a problem for Sony not be doing a recall and free fix.

QUESTION: as I was trouble-shooting this problem, I did the Sony online chat support thing to find out what the max memory was for this computer (I figured I would upgrade to a GB of RAM as long as was replacing a stick). The tech said 512 MB max, in 2 sticks of 256. Now I see people talking about using 512 MB sticks...

Anyone know what the maximum memory is for a PCG-GRX560 and what the maximum stick size is for each slot? TIA.

justin lee Nov 27, 2004, 11:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 27, 2004, 11:21am EST

Hi Joe, I am having the same problem as everyone else. For the second time my computer will not start at all, it wont boot and there are no lights. I will try removing one of the memory slots today and see what happens. I was wondering if you still fix these problems because I would like to send it in.

Technologically Challenged Nov 27, 2004, 11:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
WOW... this must be the longeeesssst thread ever...

0.o - lost
Joe K Nov 27, 2004, 07:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Justin,

Yes, we're still repairing these GRXs, GRVs, FX, F and GRZ as well as many other Vaio Models. Please contact me directly with any of the links below my name.

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services

email: aqs12@adelphia.net
Phone: 716-832-2473

Joe Kabalan
tony petroccione Nov 27, 2004, 10:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-GRX520 that I had dropped (fairly violently) and ever since have difficulty booting. For the first day it would boot for a minute or so then stop responding to anything. Each time I powered down and back up this time would get shorter. Eventually it wouldn't turn on at all. The power light would light up, POST (i'm assuming) hit the harddrive once then nothing. Finally after being told by several shops that it is a motherboard issue (699 flat rate fix from sony) I tried swapping the 256mb chip from dimm one to slot 2, \and things are perfect... So my question is, what happened? My next question, if I leave things the way they are am I safe. Third Question, do I have options if I ever want to add a second chip of RAM. Thank you for any help.

Joe K Nov 28, 2004, 12:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Tony,

You asked:

"So my question is, what happened?"

The force of the drop finalized the dis-connection of the RAM slot contact leads. These leads were probably weak to begin with from operation heat and gravity.

"My next question, if I leave things the way they are am I safe. "

It may last for a while. It all depends on the condition of the working slot.

"Third Question, do I have options if I ever want to add a second chip of RAM."

The non-working RAM slot needs to be repaired. Or buy a 512mb single memory chip for the working slot.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.