Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 711 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:29am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Ron Stubblefield Dec 11, 2003, 08:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Then please, by all means, follow Lonney's instructions a little further back in this thread. If you want to be part of the CLASS then submit your information so that the lawyer can get the paperwork out to you. Let me tell you folks.....I CAN'T WAIT TO HIT SONY ON THIS!!!

~Ron
"It's a Sony"

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Kim Henson Dec 11, 2003, 08:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an FX-370 with the same problem. I bought an extended warranty. It failed to boot the first time 2 months after the one-year warranty expired. I took it in for repair (bought the warranty through Best Buy). They shipped it to Sony. Six weeks later, I had a new hard drive/modem and then had to re-install all of my software.

Two months after that, both USB ports failed. I took it back to Best Buy. They shipped it back to Sony. Six weeks later, I got my computer back with a new motherboard. Had to reinstall all of my software.

Two months after that (last week), the computer won't boot again. I am taking it back to Best Buy, this time with copies of ALL of these messages. Thank God I have the extended warranty.

One more hardware failure and I get another computer from Best Buy (lemon policy). If it's a Sony, I will scream.

Happy holidays!

Matthew King Dec 13, 2003, 08:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,

Does anyone know if laptops with these problems are still being shipped by sony? I know the latest posts here are quite new, but I take it most of your warrantys are run out, so you must have purchased your laptops a year ago..

Also what serial numbers are effected: mainly the GRX? or the entire G* series?

Thanks,
Matt.

Alex Acutain Dec 13, 2003, 10:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all... I am extremely thankful to have found these posts.. I am not (I hate to admit) the type of person that posts msgs on the net often..but this is a different case. The last hour or 2 I have been incredibly bummed... I went to turn on my trusty vaio fx310 and it experienced the same as everyone else... nothing... I was thinking I cant afford to buy a new motherboard right now, etc etc. I found your posts and decided to pop out the #2 ram on my laptop, not actually expecting it to work, and much to my disbelief, it actually booted up! Well... thats all fine and dandy... except I then shut it down and took out the #1 ram and put in the "fried" one in its place. Laptop boots up fine with no problems... so far everything I run on it is fine. I put in the "good" #1 ram back in the #2 spot... dead again. Obviously the RAM is neither the problem nor is it fried... I can swap them back and forth and it will boot... I put them both and dead in the water again. I am appalled to see what a widespread problem this appears to be, and yet I dont see anything on the sony websites about it. Can someone please let me know what Sony's official answer on this is, and if they are doing anything about it?

ROY G Dec 13, 2003, 10:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
some problems are programed,I know this guy is paranoid,no look at theses posts 2 months after warranty. 2 months after being fixed .I do not believe this many PC`s can all go bad,almost the same thing at almost the same amount of time. if you know anything at all about PC`s you know you can be programed.

Martin Hapner Dec 14, 2003, 02:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add another victim to the list....

My non booting issue occurred with a GRX550 the beginning of October, after arriving at a business summit meeting with no use of my laptop. I was able to determine the fix by removing the memory module from the second socket and resolved to it working at half the memory I purchased [2 256 mods].

The reason I found this message board was that I was searching for a place to purchase a new motherboard, as now I am having problems with the unit booting with the one memory chip. It appears to boot 'sometimes', after resetting, jiggling, wiggling, etc...

I have sent my particulars to Lonney to have Sony stand up and take responsibility for this problem.

Joe Deutschman Dec 14, 2003, 10:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks all. nv170, same problem. i stumbled accross this forum through a google search. solved by putting 2 little pieces of paper in the clips that hold the memory in slot 2. will be contacting the person who wanted to file the class action suit.

Shyam Gok Dec 18, 2003, 03:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all I think htis is an awsome site and i stumbled upon it using my freinds's slowwwww PC.. and after owning a PCG-GRX550 everything else seems slow.. but I am having the same problems with my laptop and I wish I could do whatever has been told by people here on the forum. but alas I cant as I am a total novice at this!!.. and I wish if someone knows some/store could do this?:?? please do post the addresses or information that would be of great help, I really wish I could do what you all are saying but I am afraid I could do something wrong!!. I hope you all know where i am coming from.
looking forward to hearing from someone.... anyone..please.... HELP!!!...
I am in San Francisco, California.
Thanks again...

Jeffrey Birkin Dec 18, 2003, 07:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am an owner of a PCG FX250 and have been encountering a similar problem. With my unit I purchased a two year extended warranty. so im covered to aug 04. My problem is that you press power on and do not get as far as booting. You can try it twenty times running and only thing that will get it to work is a smack on the bottom of it. After calling sony technical support and going through two tiers of troubleshooting theyve declared it in need of repair and gave out two incorrect phone number to call. I finally tracked don my warranty at sony in canada and have requested a box to courier it in to have it fixed, although given all the similar problems I see hear I would be very interested in joining a class action lawsuit as I paid 3681 canadian for this laptop and by the looks of the warranty agreement their liablity is upto the retail value of the machine, contact me jeffreybirkin@hotmail.com if their is an action I can join against sony.

uli rauch Dec 19, 2003, 02:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 19, 2003, 02:40pm EST

Please read the forum (all 4 pages) and find many of your question re: class action and quick steps to self-repair already answered,
uli

Bob Stekeur Dec 19, 2003, 04:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recieved a email concerning the class action suit and was told I would recieve papers in the mail, and as of yet have not. anyone else replyed?

Rakesh Jain Dec 23, 2003, 04:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I need your help badly.Did any one of you get solution to your problem? Even I have a similar problem one morning I found my Laptop was not booting, only the Power LED comes up that too is not green in color its Amber in colour and the two battery LED glows and no fan no hard disk sound nothing. if you get the solution to your problem and if you let me know ill be highly obliged.. any way merry christmas.

Rakesh Jain Dec 23, 2003, 04:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I need your help badly.Did any one of you get solution to your problem? Even I have a similar problem one morning I found my Laptop was not booting, only the Power LED comes up that too is not green in color its Amber in colour and the two battery LED glows and no fan no hard disk sound nothing. if you get the solution to your problem and if you let me know ill be highly obliged.. any way merry christmas.

onder arik Dec 25, 2003, 11:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe K.,

I have a Sony GRX550 notebook and I am experiencing the SDRAM socket problem just as you described in the forum: If I press the SDRAM socket on the sides, I can see the system boots with POST and if I try to boot normally I cannot even see the POST screen.

You mentioned that this is a soldering problem. How can you solve this? I am living in Turkey and I do not have expensive soldering machines. I have a very simple soldering iron. Is there a simple fix for this socket problem? Can you describe what type of tools you are using in fixing this?

Regards,
Onder ARIK.

Joe K Dec 25, 2003, 02:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 14, 2004, 02:09pm EDT

Hello,

Unfortunately, the SODIMM sockets are very small. we have about $100,000 worth of circuit board and surface mount rework equipment in our shop. I've come across several GRX's that have "attempted" repairs on the SODIMM sockets.

What usually happens is solder bridging. This happens quite simply because oversized iron tips are used, also the wrong solder type. Also, overheating usually breaks the circuit pad. Also, because of the tight area around the socket, other components are effected by the iron activity in the area...

I'll email you specifics, because these are methods and findings of our research and sharing them publicly is not in the best interest of our business.

As for everyone else… we have been unable to link this to the memory problem, but we have had a handful of GRX 500 series notebooks that started with the SODIMM slot problem, and after a while of the “pressure” fix, the system would STOP responding all together.

Once we get them here, and repair the SODIMM slots, the system still does not reach POST. Only after the replacement of the CPU is the system functional again. Once again, I’m not 100% certain these two conditions are related but we have seen this is a small handful of GRXs.

Joe K
aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.laptopBIOS.com
Surface Mount BIOS Recovery

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
onder arik Dec 25, 2003, 04:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear Joe K.

Thank you for your kind response.

As far as I undersatnd' even though I solder the SDRAM socket correctly,
I will eventually need to replace the CPU as well. So I am in big trouble!
Is that the case?

The main reason why I selected the Sony brand when I decided to buy a notebook
one year ago was the Sony`s relaibility. And now, I have to buy another notebook if
I cannot fixc it miracally! I think this is how big brands like Sony starts to
lose ground and eventually fall down.

Anyway, I have another question: Is the CPU in the GRX550 easily replacable? Or is it soldered to
mother board?

Regards,
- Onder ARIK.

Joe K Dec 25, 2003, 07:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Onder,

No, if the CPU issue is related to the DIMM slots then the CPU will fail during the period of the faulty DIMM Slots, not after the slots are repaired.

So, if your system works with the "pressure" test, your CPU is fine. Once the "pressure" fix does not boot the system, then there is a slim chance that your CPU has been damaged.

Now on the same hand I have seen systems that did not boot at all until the DIMM slots were repaired. So, it's hit or miss until the DIMM slots are repaired and you try and power on the system.

The CPU in the GRX line is easy to replace, just remove the power button bar, remove the keyboard, remove the heat shield, remove the CPU fan, remove the CPU heatsink, then remove the CPU.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Ron Stubblefield Dec 26, 2003, 02:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Amen, I was able to repair my memory slots!!

I work in the SMT industry, and once I put a microscope up the SODIMM slot to examine the issue I could clearly see the joints where the "S" legs off of the rear SODIMM had popped loose. Looking further I was able to verify one or two problems that have caused our suffering. First, the SODIMM slots are not centered on the small, rectangle pads on the motherboard (on which the solder joints are made). But secondly, and probably the most likely, is there doesn't appear to be enough solder paste applied during the manufacturing of the board. Being an ex-rep for MPM screen printers (which are used to apply solder paste to PC boards during final manufacturing) it appears that the stencil used was A) too thin, or B) the apertures were too small........or a combo of both, which would result in what it known as too small an aspect ratio.
Joe is right. It took me a couple of tries to resolder them, and you would need to know what you're doing. I had to file the tip on my cordless soldering iron down to a needle-shaped point to get the heat where I wanted it. I did the repairs under a lighted mag. glass, with final inspection using a lighted 60X hand-held microscope. Bridging is a problem, YES!!! I verified I had no bridging before refiring the computer. Now all 512M are present and accounted for!!
I will still join the class action suit. I feel the couple of hours I've spent on it are worth something.....if not just to stand up with everyone who's been victimized by Sony.

Best of luck, and warm regards.
~Ron

Dylan Bromby Dec 29, 2003, 12:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As some other people mentioned - I don't normally post to threads like this, and I'm by no means a computer or technology novice.

However, I did want to mention by Sony PCG-GRZ610 which I bought in March '03 has had issues on boot a couple times recently - most noticably tonight. It was shutting down randomly after attempts to boot. I couldn't even load the system restore CDs.

Anyway - after removing my 256MB Kingston memory (leaving my default 256MB) my Vaio booted perfectly. I performed a system restore to yesterday and for kicks tried reinstalling the Kingston 256. So far it's worked just fine but I feel like I've got a "leg up" thanks to this thread. Initially removing the extra 256 did the trick for sure.

Speaking of questionable Sony technology - check out the Sony KF-50WE610 (50" Grand Wega LCD TV) lamp problems on epinions.com and/or bizrate.com. I was about to buy one until this thread came to my attention.

Sad - we own lots of Sony hardware in my home and my business. I don't know what the deal is but it sure does seem their design and/or manufacturing has suffered this year.

Mark Edwards Dec 29, 2003, 01:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just a further warning/addition to my last post. (I have a PCG-FX290 notebook with the same memory module problem.)

I know the following is not really relevant to this topic, but it might help someone else heading down this path.

I recently upgraded the supplied OS (Windows ME) to Windows XP Pro.
A number of the upgrade drivers from the Sony site gave an incompatibility error when I tried to install them.
The function keys do not work at all now (even with the HotKey program running).

Eventually I found (deep in the bowels of the Sony site) that Windows XP Pro is not supported by Sony for the PCG-FX290
I imagine that my model is not the only one - so check it out before upgrading.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.