Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 704 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:26am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Leonardo R Nov 29, 2004, 10:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi all,

I have a PCG-GRV680 with similar symptoms and I removed the SODIMM from the slot closest to the back and the PC booted. I have tried the memory on the slot closest to the front on the slot closest to the front and didn't work. Maybe the module got fried.

I have some questions (for Joe or Tom or anyone)

1. After some time without the solder fix, will the PC stop (with only one module of 256MB installed)? I have worked with it for 2 weeks and I have not received any blue screen or error.

2. Can I put a 1GB PC2100 266Mhz memory module on the "good" slot and the PC will boot or at least work with 512MB, or something? If not why can I put it if the series are the same LG2664U/512/Q2V and LG2664U/1GB/Q2V? Could it be architecture? I also have seen the least expensive price for the 512MB module @ $89 the generic and $99 the Hyperspeed. Could you please refer the most accurate brand and some cool prices for these modules for the GRV series?

In the pages I have searched they say I can only upgrade to only a PC2100 512MB of 266MHZ for the GRV series.

Thank you,

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Andrew Dixon Nov 29, 2004, 07:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My roommate owns a Sony VAIO PCG-FX370 laptop that recently crashed. Unlike most of the complaints I've read here, he has not attempted to add any RAM to it; it came with and still has the original 256MEGS of RAM. About two days ago, it started shutting down and only opening Windows XP in "safe mode;" now, it won't even do that. It gets to the Sony Screen and then simply gives him an "Operating System not found" message. Any ideas on what might be done short of an attempt at an entire system recovery (he's a writer, so there are some obviously sensitive files that he would want to save if at all possible)?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

mark doyle Nov 30, 2004, 02:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hi Andrew Dixon,
I had the saame problem and got some good advice from Joe and others I think your hard disk has failed your friand If you can boot from floppy or cd and see if you can access your c:\ and\or d:\ in order to manually copy his info to either a floppy disk or flash drive http://www.ultimatebootcd.com has some utilities that can help with this. then if you still want the sorry sony either replace the hard disk yourself using the restore disks to replace the operating system and programs that probably came with it when you bought it,
or take it to someone who can do it for you. by the way ultimate boot cd comes in both cd and floppy versions the floppy naturally having less diag utilities and its free to download. just read the instructions before you start to play around have fun.
by the way you can read about my troubles on pages 28 and 29 to see if they similar to yours.
mark.

mark doyle Nov 30, 2004, 02:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi again.
sorry make that pages 27 and 28.
whoops!!!!

Joe K Nov 30, 2004, 11:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Leo,

You asked:

"1. After some time without the solder fix, will the PC stop (with only one module of 256MB installed)? I have worked with it for 2 weeks and I have not received any blue screen or error."

----> There is a possibility that the system will stop working because of the fact that the first slot went bad. That tells me that the system was subjected to high heat from the CPU at one point or still is. I suggest you clean the CPU and GPU fans. run the system until the second slot goes bad. You can upgrade that installed RAM to 512mb for now.

"2. Can I put a 1GB PC2100 266Mhz memory module on the "good" slot and the PC will boot or at least work with 512MB, or something? "

----> No 1Gig, you can put in a 512mb SODIMM.

In the pages I have searched they say I can only upgrade to only a PC2100 512MB of 266MHZ for the GRV series.

-----> That is misinformation, you can install 2 pcs of 512mb for a total of 1Gig (if both slots are working)

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Roberto P Nov 30, 2004, 11:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All
My Girlfriends laptop has the same problem as to wont boot up, but the funny thing about this laptop is that, it wont turn on right? then we leave it plugged in the outlet cuz we figured that the battery might be out of charge. A couple of hours later the darn thing just turned on by it self. This problem persist a couple of times before, like we shut it down then 30 mins later it turn on by itself. So now when we want to use it we have to plug it in a couple of hours in advance just to use it. Why is that?

I just found this forum and i havent tried putting a cushin on the memory, so hopefully that will work for her laptop.

Scott Rock Dec 01, 2004, 12:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-FX310 that's about 3 years old. Recently, the AC power cord has seemed like there was a short somewhere in the area where it plugs into the laptop. But if I jimmied it into the correct position, it would work just fine.

I tried starting the laptop today, but I get nothing at all. The AC adapter seems to be functioning properly as I hooked it up to a multimeter and it was showing 19.8 volts DC. If I jimmy the plug while it's plugged into the laptop, I can't get it to work like it used to. I can only get a quick flicker of the yellow power light (not the orange battery light) if I wiggle the plug around.

This sounds like a problem on the AC adapter port on the laptop to me. I don't think it is the RAM since I still have the factory RAM of 128MB in one slot in. Has anyone else had this problem? Or can anyone give me some troubleshooting hints? I need to get this laptop up and running by this weekend very badly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Scott

rob canning Dec 01, 2004, 07:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,

i was wondering does anyone know is the fact that my cpu fan no longer spins related to the memory slot problem?

my second memory slot died and the cpu fan no longer spins - i have got the memory working again by apply pressure to it but the fan still doesn't work.

has anyone else had this problem?

thanks,

rob

ps i also have the problem with the a/c connection on the motherboard being dodgey buts its fine so long as i sit very very still!

Michael A. Dec 01, 2004, 01:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you start your own new topic you're much more likely to get responses from the community. The larger, out of control threads tend to get overlooked.

Michael A.
rob canning Dec 01, 2004, 03:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok i'' do that - thanks
rob

Ukrit mankong Dec 02, 2004, 09:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem PLEASE HELP.!

model PCG-GRX516SP bought in UK
my problem is slightly different. I plugged in the power and pressed the switch, nothing no light no fan. What could be the problem ?

I've been using the laptop with external monitor for 1 month because LCD backlight failed. And I've noticed recently that the machine heats up quickly and the sound change (of the fan or whatever i don't know) when CPU is heavily used to 100%. Are these related to the boot fail ? don't think it's the RAM slot problem though.

Any help appreciated.

J L Dec 02, 2004, 11:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also have a simliar problem, but different... My girlfriend gave me her father's old work laptop (PCG-F630)that had a Chinese version of WinME. I formatted the drive and proceeded to install WINXP. Installation went through fine and I got the wireless card setup and was online. I started to install Office XP, its going for about 5 minutes then all of a sudden the computer shuts off!! Now none of the lights turn on, the power source is connect properly and the battery has a good charge. There is absolutely no sign of life on this laptop, lights are off and no noises. I've tried pushing down on the memory, moving the memory to the second port, to no avail.

While I was fidgiting with the memory, I saw that the PCG-F630 only came with 64MB of RAM... Perhaps I overloaded the computer when installing XP? I'm really out of ideas at this point and would really appreciate any help!

draz enko Dec 03, 2004, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Similar problem ... but then again slightly different....

HARD DISK on Sony PCG FX-503 failled

I have PCG FX-503, bought it at April 2002, HOME XP. It was working decently until yesterday when simply after being left for few ours on ‘stand by’ did not wanted to boot….

• First it was blank screen.
• Then after removing battery… and restarting showed “invalid boot ini file”
• Then after few tries to restarts showed blue screen with message “Need to check C drive for consistency” started doing, it was very long and eventually showed “File allocation table missing”
• Tried repairing with XP Pro disk, however couldn’t do anything with ini file….couldn’t ‘dir’ C partition, although could list D partition… but not much more
• Then tried to install over XP Pro…. Started… but after reformation about 35% of C partition failed to format
• Then used original Sony disks, which managed to install original setup on C partition….
• Started installing Service Packs and Office application ...and then as I was installing Adobe Acrobat I heard metallic sound ‘clang’ and screen froze….
• That was it… after it I tried to restart machine but I was back to square one…..
• After few tries I got actually listed on screen main parameters (automaticly after boot up) that shows RAM and etc… AND THAT hard disk is not available / connected….
• That was when I had to retreat and come to try to find rescue here guys….

Thank you for reading… and please advice if you

Sebastian Macmillan Dec 03, 2004, 12:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I owe this site - and Joe Kabalan - a big thank-you! On impulse I bought on eBay in England a Sony Vaio GRX316SP 'for spares or repair' - it was complete and cosmetically okay, but wouldn't boot up and was going cheaply as a buy-it-now. I'm good at fixing bicycles so I thought I'd have a go at a laptop(!) As I discovered, a laptop is just a tad more complex than a bicycle. But I ended up on this website and, thanks to the contributions from Joe, was able to diagnose that the problem was the soldering of the DIMM slots which is apparently a known weakness of this model in the UK. (Okay, it could have been one of 100 other problems, perhaps I was lucky.) I posted it to Joe's organisation, AQS - you'll find details elsewhere in this discussion string - using Royal Mail (at a postage cost of £44). AQS re-soldered the slots at a charge of $149 and return postage cost $69. Turn around time from sending it off to getting it back was just 14 days. It's working fine and, even with the cost of sending it half way around the world, it's a bargain! Thank you hardware-analysis, and thank you Joe.

ricky clar Dec 04, 2004, 06:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my company bought 5 of these grx570's. they are great. till tehy stop. Min went back under warrenty for stopping after 3 mins. new motherboard. now the screen is dead. we have one runner lfet made form teh carucus's of all five.

Someone NEEDS s to start a class actiuon lawsuit. we are very very angry. My copmpaq is twice as old and took way more abuse (fluid spill, and baggage handlers) and still works. the vaios have been handled with cotton glovs and are all dead except for frank and stein built from dead carusus. we don't want all our money back, but half would eb nice.

SO, how many of us are there and where can we start?

Linda Hoack Dec 04, 2004, 05:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same prolem and thanks to you guys it's now fixed. Saved over $700. Now if I can figure out why why one key (atween V and N) does not work I'll e happy. Thanks

mike mullenix Dec 04, 2004, 07:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had good luck for three years with my Vaio PCG FX340. Recently as with many in this forum it would not boot every time and then only work for a little while. After reading this forum, I went into the back of my laptop and found that the second memory slot was different from the first. It was the cheaper plastic snap in type. I read how one member posted that they solved the problem by inserting several pieces of electrical insulation (heat shrink wire wrap) between the chips on the memory board. I was able to remove my second 128 chip and get it to run using only the first memory slot, but performance stinks as you might imagine. I did not have heat shrink wire wrap on hand, so I took a piece of standard household three wire electrical wire and removed the white outer casing. I discarded the wires and cut the outer wire casing in half lengthwise. I cut the piece of wire casing to appoximately the lenth of the memory chip. I replaced my second 128mb of memory back into memory slot 2 and placed the piece of casing on top. After replacing the back panel over the memory and securing it with the screw, I started it up and was back in business the 256 mb available. I have been using it for a week now with no problems. Not sure if this will work for all of the laptop models with this problem, but for me it was worth the risk. The casing is an insulator so I felt fairly safe. I will post if I see any problems in the future.

Mickey M Dec 04, 2004, 10:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know of a program that *WORKS* to monitor the CPU temperature for the GRX5xx series, specifically the 580 model??

mark doyle Dec 06, 2004, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

To Mickey M"ouse".
Try http://WWw.pcworld.com , >downloads>Hmonitor 4.1.4.1 it works pretty well or you can check some of the others that they offer.
mark.

Martijn de Kievit Dec 06, 2004, 12:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just read this post and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. Now this isn't my laptop and my friend will be returning to the Netherlands in 5 days, so little time, luckily there is a world wide warranty and hopefully someone who can fix it. Sony really is degenerating, maybe I don't want to buy their phones anymore either.

Martijn

Ahmed A Sep 28, 2004, 12:16 AM Message - Profile - Add Buddy - Alert Moderators
Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Wow. All these problems are with older model Vaio Laptops, but I have a brand new (less than a month old) VGN-S150, and the computer refuses to boot 95% of the time...it often takes me holding down the power button for 5 seconds to force the thing to turn back off to do anything..
It turns on, the CD spins, the fans whirl...then it just stops...

The laptop does occasionally turn on, but once I turn it off or hibernate it...it doesn't come back often.

Its a very weird problem that I need some help with..

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.