Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1073 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:01am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mickey M Dec 06, 2004, 03:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Thanks
I got the HMonitor and it reads my CPU temp from 39C-42C when under load it was up to 50C.
Is this to be of concern? I was thinking that ~40C is a bit too high for the GRX series.
THanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mark doyle Dec 07, 2004, 04:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

to Mickey M"ouse",
what percentage load ae alking about????? greater than 60% anthing under betwee30 - 59.999 and you are running about right.
mark.

george sweitzer Dec 08, 2004, 12:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
does anyone know who fixes the sodimm problem and the ac problem in the states? i could not reach tom pappas.

xbot 64 Dec 08, 2004, 01:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE WONDERFUL THREADS - ALMOST A SITE IN ITS OWN RIGHT!

I bought a Sony PCG GRZ660 last year through Amazon in the States. Of course, usual story about the warranty running out and then one of slots failing....

I have read most of the posts, and find myself with some recurring questions. I hope someone can help me...

1) How do I locate and clean the CPU cooling fan and heat sink assembly?
2) What is this makeshift deal all are talking about when there is a faulty slot? I think you call it the heat shrink something.... I really canot find the original thread talking about it, so please help!
3) How do I reinstall the original BIOS if I dont have a floppy drive? Smart Ol' Sony only have an EXE file that installs to a floppy, even though the 660 doesnt have one built in!

Thank you all, and thank you Joe! Have already been in touch with him and am awaiting a firm offer!

Good day to all!

Mark Colclough

Farrukh Aziz Dec 08, 2004, 06:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all, I was shocked when my VAIO VGN A117S, (17") hung up on me after a month of purchase.
and now after reading this all discussion, i feel like i have doomed by $3300 CDN...
Well my problem might be a little different ....
This guy goes through post fine,,, Then hangs up when loading windows xp home.... I can actually start in safe mode with no problem except that it takes few minutes after loading agp.sys ...

However, when i bootup windows in normal mode, it hangs up after the windows loader animation sends few dots scrolling from left to right on the screen... (i hope i explained it right)

and i have my project on it, that i have to finish by tomorrow... It sucks big times ... any suggestions will be helpfull for my problem ... thanks all of you guys for being there for me at this moment of grief and sorrow ...

and yeah i have signed the petition,,, and i have heard sony has banned VAIO ... is that correct?

Duncan Green Dec 09, 2004, 04:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SONY HAVE BANNED VAIO?

HAVE THEY DONE THIS!

WHAT COUNTRIES?

If that is true things may start to become more interesting for us in the courts?

Tushar Bankar Dec 09, 2004, 06:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ610 in March 2003 from Circuit City, CA, USA
It's adapter went dead in June 2004 (warranty had just expired)
Bought new adapter for $100
In Auguest 2004 Laptop went dead. I was in India that time. There is no Sony authorized service center in India.
I sent it to local laptop repair shop. He started it and charged me over $110
It worked for 4 days.
Now it works for 7/8 minutes and shuts itself off. You have to remove battery then it starts again.
It you remove battery and switch on direct power supply same behaviour. It shuts itself off after 7/8 minutes. You have to again start it.
Does anyone have similar issue. Is it related to SODIMM socket issue. Does sony sell these sockets? (My laptop shop is ready to put it if he gets one)
Sony Vaio Really sucks!!
I will not buy Sony in my lifetime!!
And similar to others warranty has just conveniently expired.
I am ready to be part of class action suit on Sony.

Jaromir Mikes Dec 09, 2004, 09:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody!

Iīve got SONY VAIO PCG-FX140. I did specify my problems previosly. Shortly - itīs dead.
My question is: Does anybody knows if the whole BIOS in this model is on the chip, or if the chip contains just information addressing HDD partiotion with the BIOS?

Thanks volks!

Vilho Hiilesmaa Dec 12, 2004, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here comes one more Vaio victim. A couple of days ago my PCG-GRX650 refused to boot. I bought it in New York two years ago. I now live in Finland. The hard disk LED lights for one second only, and at the same time it sounds like the hard disk would try to spin but then it stops right away. Thereafter, the only sign of life is a slight sound of a spinning thing (fan?, hard disk at low speed?). Nothing shown on the display at any time.

What to do? Any good advice? I'm a newcomer on this forum, so sorry for the bandwidth. Maybe there already are lots of answers, I didn't have time to go thru all those 600+ comments on this reflector.

Matt D. Dec 13, 2004, 11:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Very simply, the the ram modules have a few to several connection that have become loose or disconnected. The need to resoldered by someone who really knows what they are doing. Sony will say you need a new motherboard, but new motherboard will be $800 or so and develop the same problem. I just fixed a 650 that is for sale on ebay. I had to spend some money to buy appropriate tools to fix it. If you want to spend a little and keep it there is also a Joe here who fixes for about $200 plus shipping (see page 30 or so). If you don't want to fix you can sell on eBay - it will go for $300-500 depending on day, time and shipping amount. Let me know if you need more help.

Joe K Dec 13, 2004, 08:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,

Thanks for the mention!

Our DIMM slot repair charge is $149.00 + return shipping. There are several other known issues with the GRX / GRV lines that the repair charge does go up to $189 - $199.

Thanks,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Vex Vexed Dec 14, 2004, 08:04am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Helle everybody,
Let me explain my anger about Sony (PCG-GRX416SP)

Last month right speaker of my Sony has stop working so called Sony service center to order a new one but the guy M. Alain Aad (Sony Custumer Relation Officer for Sony Vaio Europe) told me that they dont send (or sel) any pieces to the customer itself. If I want a repair I have to send the Laptop back because in his words: It will be to complicated to replace the speakers of such kind of Laptop (It will cost exacly 10 minutes to replace these speakers there are only 5 screws to put them of.) I think he never open a Sony Laptop.

We work here with all kind of Manufacturers like Toshiba, Dell, Siemens, Compaq and I never saw a service like that. For us it's clear, never again! there will be any kind of Sony's hardware in ouer offices and I will do my best to spread out the word of Sony's thinking about Customer care.

Now the second problem arrived:

Windows or bios sometimes only showing 256 mb of Ram (installed 512mb)
Support: Not avaible

Solution:
Never buy anthing from Sony again and PLEASE tell it to everybody you know, write it as much as possible down in forums, e-mails even create webpages about thes**tty products of Sony and perhaps we can prevent tousends of customers to make the same error like us and buy a Sony.

Regards,
Manu

David Sharp Dec 15, 2004, 03:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I am a brit who has owned three different vaios over the last few years. I now have a GRT-715 (P4 2.8Ghz, 512mb RAM).

Back in January 04 my laptop went off and would not start up no matter what I did. It was returned to Sony who looked at it, started it up and then returned it no fault found. Four months later the same thing happened and this time Sony replaced the motherboard and processor among other components. The laptop has worked fine upuntil Monday night when it just went off again. I noticed that before the last repair the laptop was more like a hair-dryer than a computer but after repair it was much better.

I am now looking at the prospect of another repair and several weeks without my laptop!

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their vaio or got any clues as to the reasons for the failure? I can only assume it is some form of overhearting issue.

Jim Moore Dec 15, 2004, 11:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To those posting about thier Vaio not booting or immediately shutting down, please check this thread carefully. It has been discussed many times and Joe K. has explained that its usually a overheating problem or a broken solder connection ( or bad MoBo, or cracked RAM slot - the list is long!!!)

Like many of the posters here, one day my Vaio worked -next day, What happened??? Unfortunately I took my laptop direct to Sony repair in PA. and $800 later and a new MoBo - its working again. THEN I found this site......grrrr.

After keeping up with the topic and talking a few times with Joe K, I too realize its pretty common problem with Vaio's and Sony is playing dumb. Until the lawsuit actually happens my recommendation is to contact Joe K at his website (see one of his posts here) and he will advise you whats best. ( no I'm not a typing advertisement for Joe or his workplace - he is just pretty straightforward and he even bought my bad MoBo from me for parts when Sony shipped it back)

So feel free to be p.o.'d and type nasty rants about the Sony "family" - I did too - but they also fixed my PS2 twice without charge, so I'm only about 75% ripped off IMHO -lol
Jim

Wilma Leung Dec 18, 2004, 09:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRX520 since beginning of 2003, and I recently am experiencing some problems with it. For the last few months, I find it getting slower and hangs whenever I try to work on a few things at the same time. Then a couple of days ago, I was working late and the computer just shut down by itself after idling for a while. I wasnít able to reboot it although the power light was on, and I can hear the CDRom engaging, but then it didnít show any screen and the computer seems dead with the exception of the power light. I held down the power button for a while and shut the computer off. I waited for a moment and tried to reboot it again. I continue like this for more than 2 hours without being successful. I had a few days earlier found it difficult to boot whenever I havenít flipped down the monitor after my previous use. I therefore tried to flip down the monitor and reboot. This didnít do the trick except that after I was away for a few hours, I could reboot the machine again.

Yesterday, the computer hung up after I clicked a folder on another machine on the LAN. This often happens whenever I havenít yet opened the network neighbour beforehand. As usual, I tried to restart the computer, but it wonít reboot even after 2 hours of trying, including trials with and without the batteries. Eventually, it boots up (with the battery installed but the power cord unplugged). Last night I tried putting it to hibernate, but it wonít boot with the power cord on alone, but it rebooted after I inserted the battery.

For my GRX520, I can safely say that I have effectively prevented an overheating problem (I had since many months ago piled some felt ďlegsĒ to my laptop to make it one of the coolest specimen around), and I have now eliminated that as a battery problem. It appears to have the symptoms of the DIMM slot shouldering problem and perhaps power circuit hardware failure as well, as described in the thread here.

Iím now storing all my files on an external hard drive, and I do not turn it off (unless it hangs again). Iím leaving on Monday for London, U.K. for two weeks and cannot afford not to use the laptop (with all the installed programmes) during this period. When Iím back in Vancouver, I can send it off for repair.

Do you happen to have any advice for me ? Is there a way I can prevent my laptop from going dead in the next 2 weeks ?

Have a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year.

Cheers, for now, not knowing whether Iíll be able to reboot after signing off,

Wilma.

Eddy S Dec 18, 2004, 10:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This procedure applies to those who have determined that one of their DIMM slots is faulty and causes their notebooks boot up problems.

The plastic cover that needs to be removed to access the RAM is an odd shaped square lid with a pecular contour to it. When closed, it makes physical contact with one of sticks of RAM and this is part of the problem. With the type of RAM that I have, only one side of the stick has chips mounted to it while the other side is blank giving it a slight bulge on one side. When both sticks are inserted, one stick has the chips facing away from the motherboard which touches the plastic lid, while the other stick has it's chips facing the mother board and does not touch the lid in any way. This causes accute pressures on the board at a particular spot, the troubled DIMM slot to be exact, or in other words the stick that has the chips touching the lid. When the CPU fan becomes suffocated, the heat produced by the CPU is not removed and consequently extreme hostile conditions are formed. Exteme heat coupled by physical pressure causes the board to slowly warp. This damage cannot be undone. This explains why some people have problems with slot one while others have problems with slot 2. (Depending on which slot endures the physcial stress) What is not mentioned by most people who have this DIMM Slot problem is that they also have ventilation issues whether it applies to them or not. Now some people have found that if you shimmed the RAM stick into the troubled spot you may have success for awhile but let me assure you that this is not a fix. If you place an object to shimmy the RAM you are essentially causing a new problem to form since you are exerting pressure onto the board which further deteriorates the problem. Instead you should adopt the opposite strategy and remove any physical stresses. For me, I was able to make full use of both DIMM slots again by doing the following. I inserted my stick of RAM into the troubled slot but instead of pushing it down and locking it into place, I left it in its fully inserted but unlocked position. I carefully closed the plastic cover which gently pushed the stick of RAM down. but nonetheless kept contact with the stick of RAM. By doing this I have re-allocated the pressure and relieved the stress on the motherboard. How so? If the RAM is fully inserted and locked into place, by design it is now one with the DIMM Slot. Whatever the plastic cover exerts on the RAM, the DIMM Slot will transfer and exert on the motherboard causing stress on the board. If the RAM is not locked into place, there is a certain amount of play that exists between the actual RAM and DIMM Slot which can absorb the stress caused by the plastic cover. This technique will not work for everyone as there are other factors that need to be accounted for. How warped is the motherboard and whether or not the RAM is already damaged are the obvious ones. If you are using sticks of RAM that have chips soldered to both sides try exchanging it with RAM with chips soldered to one side. If this fix does help you out, don't forget to periodically clean the CPU fan from time to time to prevent heat build up as this is the main culprit that started this whole mess. Hope that helps.

John Folliard Dec 18, 2004, 10:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRX550 which was exhibiting the problem described in this thread (512mb with only 256 being visible). I followed the suggestion by Eddy S (previous post) and everything is working again! Yippee!

Now, I just hope it stays at 512 from here on out. Best luck!

Matt D. Dec 18, 2004, 10:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sorry, that advice is a temporary fix - it still needs resoldered. I would use the temporary fix to back up any data before selling or having it fixed.

chantelle farrell Dec 20, 2004, 03:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As a college student, I frequently use my PCG-GRX520 that I purchased from Ultimate Electronics in July 2002. Lately, upon bootup I haven't been able to get past the green power light coming on and the HDD light flickering but not staying on. I'm not as computer savvy as most of those I've seen on this thread, but if someone could possibly help me I would greatly be appreciative.

Thanks,
Chantelle

Joe K Dec 21, 2004, 08:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone,

I would like to say happy holidays to you all and hope you have a safe and enjoyable Christmas and New Year!

Thank you,

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.