Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1017 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 04:53pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Jack Chau Jan 19, 2005, 01:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Well guess what exactly at the 2 year mark my friend's laptop GRX600 went down with the same problem. Only one memory slot was working. He was asking me how my laptop was doing. I replied it was doing OK, but guess what that's because I bought my laptop PCG-NV170 about 3 months after him. About 4 months later my laptop had the same problems. If you use only one slot it will work fine, but with two it will intermittently shutdown or won't boot up. My friend had no option but to send it in. After talking with a service rep, there was a solution to pay up for a new motherboard for $1600 if indeed it's a faulty motherboard. Luckily he's able to convince them to have a technician do a diagnostic first; the technician said that there was loose connections in his laptop and he would need to re-solder them. He wasn't specific on what connections, but after that's said and done, it cost my friend $180. Here I am in the same boat, but at least I have some more knowledge from these threads to try to fix up this mess. Funny thing is another coworker just bought a brand spanking $3000 Vaio for 3 months....after we recommended him not to purchase one...it's down now. It does say something about Sony Vaio laptops...They're CRAP!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
brian nitz Jan 21, 2005, 10:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had a similar problem with a sony PCG-GRZ615G. In my case since only one of the memory slots was occupied, I moved the memory to the adjacent memory slot. The problem is likely to reoccur with the other memory slot, but until then I'm happily booting between Solaris 10 express and several versions of Java Desktop System (linux) without any problems between reboots.

jason richie Jan 21, 2005, 05:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow!!! i just found this site. Mine failed a while ago and just been living with it. GRX560 - Memory slot 2 failure 13 months after new, at 18 months now and regularly will not power up. Gonna remove the memory stick in slot 2 tonight when i get home....

I can't believe the amount of pages for this problem!!!

in case some else is new and didn't find it, here is the link to the petition.

http://www.petitiononline.com/sonymem1/petition.html

george sweitzer Jan 23, 2005, 12:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks to joe for a quick fix and more than fair price. my vaio is up and running and i had it back in my hands in less than one week using ground. (AC fix and DIMM slot fix)

booooo!!!!!!!!!!!! sony!

yaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!joe!

Choyak Yakatak Jan 23, 2005, 01:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 23, 2005, 01:53pm EST

Wow, thanks for having this forum. I have a PCG-FX300 that refused to boot, only the power LED and sometimes both battery LEDs would shine. The CPU fan would spin for 2 seconds then stop. I even removed the CPU heat sink to see if there was something weird there, at this time with no luck I started to dig online and located this forum. Lo and behold, I noticed that the SODIMM slots were 2 different types. The slot facing the front had 2 little metal tabs, and the rear one did not. Since the SODIMM (I have 256M) was installed in the rear, I first pressed the tiny reset button on the bottom, then pressed in the SODIMM and applied power. To my extreme amazement, it powered on and the SONY logo appeared. After verifying that XP was operating, I shutdown the XP and switched the SODIMM to the front slot. Please note that the front slot appears to be of a better quality than the rear one. It refused again, and SOMEHOW by bending the little metal things to force the SODIMM in more, I was SUPER LUCKY and at this time I am staring at a functioning laptop!!!!

Nik Petrogian Jan 25, 2005, 07:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 25, 2005, 10:10am EST

Hello everyone, this is a new entry!
I'm also a happy owner of a PCG-GRX570.

Symptoms :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
a. Sudden shutdowns accompanied by a SINGLE spinning motor sound.

or
b. Sudden monitor's freeze accompanied by a MANY continuous spinning motor sounds.
(The system seems like trying unsuccessfully to recover.)
Seconds or minutes later, the complete system freezes and shuts down.

finaly
c. The system failes to boot.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I already signed at
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/sonymem1/
and I was the 794th in this huge catalogue!

Now I have some questions for anyone could kindly help.

1. Do you have any news about a class action against sony?
2. Is there any "Joe" solution in Europe?

Keep trying ppl. Don't give up.
We are all discovering here, that this is a common defect.

Now sony is OBLIGED to RECALL EVERY SINGLE laptop for restitution of the defect.
In addition sony MUST REIMBURSE our lost time because of their product plus the balm.
Especialy for clients that are profesionals and they (try!) WORK using their machine sony MUST REIMBURSE any probable deficits.

Thanx to all of you.

Tom Pappas Jan 25, 2005, 05:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I Am Not A Lawyer.

But I believe that Sony's license agreement has a few choice disclaimers absolving them of "incidental or consequential damages, including, without limitation, lost profits, lost work, lost sleep, lost jobs, and lost marriages arising from the use of the product."

(That was just from memory, but you get the gist.)

Nik Petrogian Jan 27, 2005, 10:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 27, 2005, 10:23am EST

Dear Tom,

this is maybe their (sony's) point of view.

I could accept their disclaimers in case that I was the only one with problems.
In this case, there is a massive sony's NATIVE defect as you can observe...
Furthermore we should notice that, this isn't just a memory problem. This is a problem that doesn't permit us to work AT ALL!

And what if I bought this product from another person? (2nd hand)
I never had an agreement directly with sony.
I just trusted sony's name...

Keep trying ppl

Abhijit Shirolkar Jan 27, 2005, 01:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I am new to this forum and was really surprised to see so many people having problems with SONY VAIO laptops; and looks like it is the exact same problem that I am facng with my VAIO. I bought it in July 2003 and the first time it stopped booting was in April 2004 less than 9 months from the date I purchased it. Fortunately it was under warranty then, so i got it fixed for free. But the problem resurfaced after a few months. My frien was able to fix it by putting the RAM chip into the other memory slot. It worked for a few months but now it is the same thing again. And swapping RAM chips doesn't work anymore. My laptop simply doesn't boot. Fortunately I saw this forum and implemented one solution posted here for fixing the problem (by putting a cardboard or something that applies pressure on the memory slot) and my laptop is booting again. The problem is that this solution is temporary, they say. So sooner or later mu stupid laptop will stop booting again. If there is some class action suit against SONY, I want to be a part of it.

I read in some posts that Joe K fixes this problem and I am thinking of contacting him. If you are reading Joe,please reply to this message. Thanks!

SONY sucks.

Abhi

Abhijit Shirolkar Jan 27, 2005, 01:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
By the way, my laptop's model number is PCG-GRX520. I forgot to mention it in my earlier post.

Abhi

Tom Pappas Jan 27, 2005, 03:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Abhi -

Putting pressure on the SODIMM slots can cause irreversible damage to the mother board. We have done this repair many, many times but have had to give up on some that had been wedged as you describe.

Tom Pappas
http://www.vaioshutdown.com

stilbene @ Jan 29, 2005, 01:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Further to my previous post regarding a 5-week old (now 7-week old) Sony VAIO PCG-K86P (posted Jan 13 2005), I've just recieved the unit back after a warranty repair. The motherboard (or the "MBX assembly" according to the repairer) needed to be replaced, after only 5 weeks!!!

I own a lot of other Sony products, and have had no problems with them, which is why I'm very dissappointed with my VAIO. I'm going to write a letter to Sony Australia to request (at the very least) a free extended warranty (an additional 2-years, RRP $A400), because I can't afford to have something like this happen again out-of-warranty.

I hope you all solve your own problems with your units. Cheers.

Kenny Green Jan 29, 2005, 04:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony VIAO power/battery/booting problem
I have a Sony PCG F490K. Stopped working; left it for a few months and it started working again though with the added attraction of annoying crackling and squeeking sound coming from the screen, though working. Now it has again stopped booting- the green light comes on with the battery light (if it is in) and that is pretty much as far as it goes. Also there is a faint, but very high pitch continuos sound whilst it is 'on'.

I've tried all the tricks with the memory, though I don't think this is the problem as it hasn't helped at all reaching the booting phase.

I think there is a problem on the board with the power - when the computer is plugged in with the battery; there is no response - no charging or anything (i.e. no flashing lights); yet the battery works in another Sony laptop that I have and charges normally. When the laptop has no batteries in it and is plugged in and I turn it on, the green light does come on and stays on; thus it is not a connecter problem.

Any ideas?

Itzcoatl Dunkel Jan 31, 2005, 07:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have the same problems as Nik ...

Symptoms :
a. Sudden shutdowns accompanied by a SINGLE spinning motor sound.

or
b. Sudden monitor's freeze accompanied by a MANY continuous spinning motor sounds.
(The system seems like trying unsuccessfully to recover.)
Seconds or minutes later, the complete system freezes and shuts down.

finaly
c. The system failes to boot.

My vaio is a PCG-GRX315.

Some body have already found why it happends and how to resolve it?

Bye!

Dude ! Jan 31, 2005, 11:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

Here's another story to be added to the vaio memory problem issue. I bought my laptop in jan. 2004. It's a PCG-GRX316MP. It was already 5 months old then en it worked perfectly. Since juli 2005 my troubles began. After a good bash or after a cooldown period it would start again and sometimes not at all. I searched like most of you for an answer and found it to be the memory slot problem.
All the solutions about putting pressure on the memory slot are crap! The are a workaround to a still existing problem that sooner or later will arise again. Then i found the problem could be fixed permanently by sending it to someone who knew how to fix it, somewhere in the States. Well, try sending a laptop from the Netherlands to the States, it's not really cheap and who knows what will happen with my data??
Since i concider myself quit a handy person, i finally took the step to fix it myself, permanently. Armed with a magnifidation glass a multimeter and a soldering iron, i started to look for the pinns that were loose. It's quite easy actually to locate them. Start from the outside and work your way inward. Gently push the pinns aside. Don't use too much pressure because if it's loose it will move even with very little pressure. Through the magnifying glass you can see the pinns move and this way you can locate all of the loose ones.
After doing that on both sides of the memory slot it appeared to be only the inside of the memory slot that was the problem. No less than 6 pinns were wacky. Since these pinns didn't get loose for nothing i assumed it was because of too little lead (or tin) so i got a minute amount of tin on my soldering iron and heated the loose pinns with the tip. I could actually see the tin melt again and with very little added i let it cool down again. Then the same push test showed me it was a hit. I did this to all the loose and some extra suspicious pinns. After putting back the battery (take it out if you even consider opening the case!!) it booted the first time problem free (hadn't done that in months). Even without the cover for the memory and therefore without any extra pushing or whatever it worked.
Now, everyone knows someone who knows someone who is handy and owns the right tools. Try ask them to help you out with some first class soldering and voila, your vaio will rise once again.

If you want to try this yourself, better know how to use the tools! This is no job for a first-timer!
Good luck!

Sony.....up yours!

Dude!

Leonard Padmos Feb 02, 2005, 04:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After having no sucess with Sony and useless information and lame questions and outrageous quotes for repairs I ended up buying a new HP last Sunday. Of course as always, I found this site this morning and was able to repair my Sony VAIO PCG-GRX550 by using two little strips of heat shrink tubing to force the ram cards down and make contact. THANK YOU,THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Oh and by the way, I will never buy another Sony again due to the lack of support.
This site is Great !!!!

Stan Konesko Feb 02, 2005, 08:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add me to this list of "satisfied"Sony users.Bought imy GRV-680 2003 and now it's a no boot.All sorts of weird behavior,took out dimm in slot 2 and got a temp.boot,till Windows screen than it rebooted.Was able to use it for a couple minutes in safe mode but thats not what I want from a $2500.machine.Can someone please explain the "fix"shimming the dimm,not sure what is meant or exactly how to accomplish it.I won't contact Sony as it'd be a waste of time..Will probably end up shipping to the Joe I keep reading about and hope ha has a fix.In the meantime I will no longer patronize Sony products.Who is the group of attorneys who took on IBM in the hard drive problems consumers were experiencing??Unfortunately in a class action suit the only ones who benefit are the attorneys!!!We the consumers will get a voucher from Sony good for $10.00 of your next Vaio purchase while the attorneys(if they win)will split millions.

Tom Pappas Feb 03, 2005, 06:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Soldering 200-pin SODIMM sockets with Home Depot tools? Know what an undetected solder bridge can do to your computer?

That's a pretty big roll of the dice. You can have your sockets professionally re-soldered (by us) for $150, or you can risk frying a $1600 motherboard doing it yourself. Your call.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

p.s. If you have data on your laptop that you can't afford to lose, it (the data) is living on borrowed time.

People! Besides the thousand natural shocks that desktop computers are heir to, laptops can also be lost, stolen, or dropped! Back up your data NOW.

Leonard Padmos Feb 04, 2005, 08:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After spending a couple of hours reading all of the postings I noticed that someone had mentioned that instead of using a couple pieces of heat shrink to put pressure on the installed ram, that you could just unclip the ram but leave it in place (sprung up at an angle) and then just close the cover and let the cover push down on the ram. This method puts less pressure on the motherboard and will keep it from warping. I had gotten my Grx550 to boot by using the heat shrink method, but went home yesterday and tried the other method. My laptop still boots and loads all of the ram with less pressure on the motherboard. For all of us who were lucky enough to have one of these stop-gap fixes work you might want to see if this works on your piece of junk just may last a little bit longer before you have to send it to either Joe or Tom to have it repaired correctly.

(Sony Sucks)

Stan Konesko Feb 04, 2005, 09:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For fear of making it even worse by applying these temporary fixes I shipped my GRV680 of to Joe...
We'll see what he finds.Hope some of it is good news.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.