Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1182 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Feb 04, 2005, 09:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 09:32am EST

>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Stan,

This shouldn't be a problem. We'll take care of it.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
rhett creighton Feb 05, 2005, 02:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I have a sony pcg 481L (on the sticker) or pcg tr1a (on the box).

I have problems that are similar to what othe people have described. Time on the comptuer sometimes goes backwards, and then somtimes it won't boot. If I mess with the power and probably let the cmos battery drain or something, then the computer will boot with the time reset and some cmos checksum error.

If anyone can help me fix this, email rhett at mit dot edu

Rhett

madan g Feb 05, 2005, 03:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> SONY SERVICING IS BULLSHIT
i bought one of the cheapest sony notebook for 1400 euros, I had some problem with 3 keys, unfortunately few drops of tea went inside it was sticking and the keys were not working. I went to the media market, and they sent it. I got a reply from them telling that I have to pay 200euros if I want to repair the keys, if I just wanna get my notebook back just pay 80euros. I opted the second one since I know that my notebook is not that worth repairin the keys paying 200 euros. The most funny thing is that they gave me a third option 'if I wanna deposit my notebook just pay 20 euros. DISGUISTING!!
So please dont buy SONY notebooks. Best option is thoshiba and dell...u will be 100% satisfied with it..
bye

Anthony Barker Feb 07, 2005, 02:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Is there a 'joe' here in london (or UK)? have the same problems, and they are really beginning to annoy me!

Scott Border Feb 08, 2005, 08:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe and all,

I have a Sony VGN-S150 which is approx 6 months old. Frequently, when it goes into standby mode, it will not return and requires that I reboot. Of course, it also frequently does not boot. The green power light will come on as does the green "wan" light, but otherwise nothing happens.

Joe, does this sound like a problem you can fix. Have you heard of this occuring in these models? I don't have 3 weeks to wait around while Sony decides to screw me so your quick service is preferred.

Thanks, Scott

Joe K Feb 09, 2005, 12:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 09:31am EST

Scott,

Email sent.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Mark Y Feb 09, 2005, 05:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio GRX Lost Memory, bad customer service, worse products
Have to add me the victim list.
Finally found the forum and know what's going on with my GRX650 laptop.

I bought a 512 memory and it worked about 3 months, but I'm having a hard
time to get it restarted now, so I just keep it in standby mode when I don't
use, ok for now, but I feel it will die soon.
Contacted with Joe will send to him for the fix soon.

For all who did not register for the class action, please register here
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?sonymem1&1
I would really appreciate if someone can share any more information about the class action.

This topic will become 100 pages soon!
Please boycott all Sony products!

Stan Konesko Feb 11, 2005, 12:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Shipped my Vaio to Joe last Friday..got it back in good working condition yesterday!!
He fixed the dimm issue as well as a gpu for a price I consider to be minimal.I can readily recommend Joe based on my experience.Thank You Joe.
I have a friend who's in the TV repair business for approx.30yrs.He tells me if it weren't for Sony business would be mighty slow...Personally I've always liked their products,just some things one should stay away from ie:laptops and TV's.

otis feldspieler Feb 11, 2005, 03:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> sony f series won't turn on!
i have an f series (650?) and it has the problem of not cold-cut dying while i'm using it and not turning back on for days or a week or whatever. this happened a couple times over the summer, and when i'd take it in to get repaired, it would work for them by the time they got it on the bench, so they never actually did anything (they didn't charge me, either!). while it was a problem then, it hasn't happened in 6 months. now all of a sudden it happened again.

when it first turned off, i could get it to turn on to the sony screen a couple times and even as far as the windows me screen once. i decided to leave it for the night to see what happened. the battery charge light was still flashing when i went to bed that night, but when i awoke it wasn't and wouldn't turn on at all. then yesterday i found this forum and tried leaving it unglugged and de-batteried for a few hours. when i'd plug it back in, the battery charge light would blink for about 30 seconds then stop. i got it to turn on for about 3 seconds twice. now i'm trying to leave it alone unplugged and de-batteried til i get my new Dell (hopefully tomorrow or monday). i'm tempted to try it again tonight, but i'm afraid that whatever it is that makes it need the rest will be disturbed and i'll have to start the waiting all over again.

most immediately, i need it to turn on so i can get a paper off it i was writing when it died. everything else i have saved on a flash. i thought about pulling the hard drive out and putting it in an external case to retrieve the paper, but i'd really like it if it would turn back on so i could send it to my parents for them to use internittently or get it fixed by tom or joe or someone. i've given up on it. other than continuing to wait for it to maybe turn back on, what can i do? please help!

Peter Burch Feb 14, 2005, 10:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Luckily I found this thread (using Google) just two days after my VAIO PCG-GRX316MP started refusing to boot back in mid January. I was using 256Mb in each SODIMM slot as I believed (from Sony's and Crucial's websites) that that was the maximum it would handle.

A quick release of the number two slot's RAM and then replacing the cover to hold it in place confirmed instantly that I had the 'usual' problem. All the repairers in the UK that I contacted to see if they would be interested in undertaking the repair (having had the nature of the fault explained to them), just weren't interested.

I sent a couple of e-mails to Joe Kabalan, who responded very promptly (despite my asking a few other dumb witted questions) and gave me good vibes. I explained that, as I work for an airline and can get cheap flights on a standby basis, it would be almost as cheap for me to bring the Laptop over personally as to send it via Fedex/UPS. My plan was assisted by having a close friend working in Toronto for a few months, so I could kill two birds with one stone and combine the repair with a social visit.

Anyway, as I was coming all the way from the UK (via Canada) Joe kindly offered to carry out the repair while I waited (so I could get back to my mate in Toronto, rather than have to overnight in Tonawanda). And true to his word, despite arriving about an hour later than I expected as I'd underestimated the time for the drive from Toronto (without wanting to start any thread drift here - aren't the US border protections a little over the top? I mean, we Brits are supposed to be your closest allies!), he fixed it straight away telling me simply to come back in an hour. One Tex-Mex feed later, and I was smiling with a healthy computer again.

I promised to give Joe a bit of a plug (as if he needs any more on this thread), and I'm sorry that It's taken so long, but when I got back I had to use up the rest of my leave by going to Dubai for a week to recover from the severe cold in the USA/Canada!

Anyway, I trusted Joe enough to go all the way from the UK personally, and he fixed it within an hour just as he promised. He also re-soldered the other SODIMM slot and cleaned the CPU fan for the all-in price of US$149 plus local tax. What more can you ask?

Hopefully I'll get another few years out of this beast now, although as I spend more time carrying it than using it, I wish I'd got an ultra portable instead now (but they were hugely expensive despite being much less powerful 3.5 years ago - there doesn't seem such a huge difference now).

Anyway... THANKS JOE! It was a pleasure meeting you. The world needs you!

PS. Joe told me that despite what Sony and Crucial say, you can run 1GB RAM in this VAIO model. I can confirm that it is doing OK with 768Mb which is more than it's supposed to handle. I bought the 512Mb from Crucial after Joe's first e-mail with the above advice... With a SODIMM slot out it was just too darned slow running SP2 on 256Mb RAM. Will be selling the spare 256Mb RAM on e-bay one day!

Jesus DeLaTorre Feb 15, 2005, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe is great.

He repaired my system board due to a video issue and repaired a dimm slot for me for like 1/4 of what sony would had charged me.

Thanks Joe.

This is his contact info, I highly recommend him.

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Hsing Chang Feb 15, 2005, 08:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, serious if you want good for your laptop, contact Joe for help.
I was lucky enuf to TEMPORARILY fix my PCG-FX340 after reading some post a while ago.
Here is a picture of how i placed the ram on the semi-BROKEN slot.
http://mugenchitai.onestop.net/DSC00778.JPG

Leave the ram like this(do not clip the 2 sides) and gently close the plastic cover and screw the cover. If you're as lucky as i'm, then your laptop should have both memory slots working again. If not, contact Joe!

Thx to whoever discovered this TEMPORARY fix and NO, no more buysing Sony laptop.

Hsing from Canada
15Feb.2005

Albert Yu Feb 16, 2005, 07:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

The problem of my Sony Vaio FX203K is, once I turn it off, it won't boot again. But after a few days or weeks, it boots again successfully and works normal. Every time I want to use it, I have to wait for days or weeks to check if it starts. And only by chance, it boots. I bought the FX203K in June 2001 at the cost of about 2500 euro. I couldn't use it since November 2003!!! (Used only 2 and a half years.)

I spent 80 euro, had the FX203K sent to Sony France service center to check the problem. Sony asked me to pay 600 euro to replace the motherboard. That's odd. I can buy a brand new desktop with that money! I refused the offer.
กก
Recently, I found the following site http://www.sparkybruce.com/sony_info/vaiomemskt.htm that suggests it is the Memory Socket solder problem. I tried the solution, but it failed to fix my FX203K.

(22/06/2004)

Recent days, I took the FX203K out again to try a new idea because I thought it could be the problem of the Power button. So I opened the front panel, and flipped the board under the Power button, I used a plastic stuff to push the small metal button, it worked and it worked two days this way. But unfortunately it failed again when I tried to stick a little bit glue under the power button to give a little resistance to it.

And now I nearly break the button, it still does not boot!

I am so disappointed with this f**kings**ty Sony Vaio!

But I still hope somebody come up a solution.

Maybe we really should raise a lawsuit against Sony about this common problem.

(17/02/2005)

Albert

Robert MacDonald Feb 18, 2005, 02:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The warped motherboard issue seemed to be the problem with my GRX520 - I removed the 256mb RAM stick from one slot to the other, followed "Joe's" instructions, and it started up fine.

May still need to replace the motherboard, but I don't think I'm going to spend that kind of money on a 3-year-old notebook.

THANK YOU JOE!!!!

lorrianne zamora Feb 19, 2005, 01:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with the memory of my PCG-FXA63 model. It wont register the second memory and I do not know what to do. Anyone has a suggestion and also, did anyone file a lawsuit against Sony and if so, please let me know. Thanks

Christopher Hazlitt Feb 19, 2005, 02:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
:(

My wife's VAIO notebook PCG-GRT170 would not boot, I tried it several times and then took it to CompUSA warranty repair (having purchased it when I bought the notebook) and the damn thing booted up for them when they tried it!

I had to take it back, only problem is somehow the hard drive corrupted and I lost the OS and a backup was never made! They don't send any CDROM's with these notebooks now and I need the imaging disks! I reloaded WindowsXP but without the special utility drivers the screen intensity is now at the lowest setting which is too dark in normal room lighting at night and unusuable in daylight.

Does anyone know if the memory sold joint problem is also occuring in the GRT170? The CompUSA guy said it was probably a static build up in the battery that caused it not to boot. Never heard of anything like that before...

Court Christensen Feb 19, 2005, 06:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey everyone, I just found this forum tonight, and I'm glad. I have a GRX550 with the bad 2nd memory slot. I bought the computer Jun '02 and it worked fine until late Fall of last year (i think), when the computer was about 2 weeks out of warranty, grr! I thought, until I played with it more at the end of this summer, that it was bad RAM. Much to my dismay, it's the motherboard. I figured the problem was unique, but it sounds to me like this is a big problem. So I'm running 256mb instead of 512.

I emailed Scott Shepard who mentioned a class action lawsuit in a post (august i think?). I also signed the petition. I'm not one to complain, but I'd at LEAST like Sony to admit there's a problem.

(...3am, I think it's time for bed :-P )

Anton T Feb 20, 2005, 08:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all
yeap the SONY really SUCK. I am russian with 18 months old vaio PCG-GRT 170 laptop. & i have the same problem. my laptop freeze once or two in a day. so i do remove my 512 Ram between the 1 and the 2 slots. it helps, and laptop works perfect, but after the 24 hours it freeze again. it also works with two memory slots (256- sony installed & 512 purchaseв by myself), but i have to replace they constantly. could anybody give me advice how can i solve this problem? maybe should to put a little pressure in memory slots or something else?

thank u in advance

Stan Konesko Feb 20, 2005, 10:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There's only one permanent fix ,send it to Joe......everything else is temporary at best.

Anton T Feb 20, 2005, 10:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
actually i am not in US who is Joe? maybe can u describe the problem and i try to fix it in local service or by my self ;) it's soldering or what?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.