Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1113 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:04am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Anthony Barker Feb 20, 2005, 03:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I found theses people here in the UK - brilliant service, picked up and returned to my office, 4 days, under 150.00. Bargain! Very pleased to have my laptop back up to snuff. Highly reccomended.
web: http://www.testlink.co.uk
mail: sales@testlink.co.uk

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Pappas Feb 20, 2005, 06:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think 150 ($283) is a little steep, considering the fact that we can do it for $150 plus $30 shipping each way.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Sandy Modesitt Feb 22, 2005, 01:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got another one to add to the list - mine is a PCG-GRX560. Have had it for 2 1/2 years without problems. Now, it boots fine with only 1 slot filled; have tried various combinations of 3 SODIMMs and the only one that currently works reliably is only filling one slot (any of the 3 work in that 1 slot).

My machine has been pretty reliable and I use it a lot but I think this problem probably started last summer. I thought it was a problem with a wireless card, then wireless usb - the problem seemed to occur after travel and trying to link up with wireless networks in hotels. I would get the blue screen warning me to uninstall new equipment (even if it had been working for quite a while, but I thought, why not try it). Well, it probably was the jostling around of the insecure soddering that caused the problem and not the wireless card.

Sony support is pretty much a joke. I should have realized that when I bought the machine in July 2002 when I went to find info. on Sony's web site. Their web site stunk then and it hasn't improved. I can't believe that, when they ask for a product name, if I type in PCG-GRX560 like it has on the machine itself, or GRX560, it doesn't find anything. It requires that you type in PCGGRX560. Talk about a stinky interface!! I 'chatted' with tech. support tonight and they tried to send me through an obviously scripted set of troubleshooting steps. Having had quite a bit of experience fixing PCs (although not laptops), I had already done all sorts of troubleshooting, including the steps he tried to send me to. I have to give him credit though - I gave him the link to this board and he said he was going to read it - I think he did but he still ended up giving me a link to the service centers. The closest one is in CA (I am in IL)!

If I do anything, I'll be contacting Joe at AQS (like many others here), but I think I'm going to try living with the 256 mb first. I have sort of mixed feelings having had other laptops at work. This one seems to have lasted longer than the Toshiba and Compaqs that were my previous experience. I think that the portability of the laptops leaves them a little vulnerable to the bumps that they normally take.

(My hubby is encouraging me to call and keep persisting but I have no faith that they will do anything after I've had the machine so long - he has a Sony TV that has a slightly noticeable black band running through the screen and they won't do anything about that.)

Sandy

Joe K Feb 22, 2005, 08:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 09:29am EST

Sandy,

For now you can probably get away with purchasing a 512mb stick of DDR RAM and use it in the working slot, but be advised that eventually that working slot will fail. If it fails you can always keep the 512 installed and pop back in one of the 256mb sticks after the laptop is repaired.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Stan Konesko Feb 22, 2005, 08:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> OT..Need Input
I'm about to replace my VAIO and in looking around I've stumbled across the Fujitsu line of laptops...In particular their 6010 anyone have any knowledge or experience with this line.Apparently their a much bettr product than the Sony line is,although cost factor is nearly identical.
Joe...any opinions??
See one here.
http://notebookforums.com/showthread.php?t=54942&page=1&pp=15

Steven Vischer Feb 23, 2005, 02:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Guys not sure if this will work for you, but it worked for me! THere is a little hole on the bottom of the laptop. Kind of behind the 'C' key on the bottom.

If you put a pin in this and hold for maybe 10 seconds. Then try a reboot...

Let me know if it works for any of you.

Billy H Feb 24, 2005, 06:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey there, so it looks as though you are the guy to ask here...:)
let me start from the beginning. i have sony vaio laptop (pcg-nv170) that has always (for the year i've had it) had a short life battery (about 5 minutes) when its not plugged in. the system is GREAT when plugged in. recently (tuesday morning) i was flying home to visit family and i had a layover in chicago....i decided i wanted to work on something on my laptop so i got it out and powered it up. now, i could not find an outlet, so i was going on battery only and to maximize the battery life i went in and changed the power mngt to "ultimate battery life" (which disables the ilink for longer life). ok, so far we're still good. then i was working on my stuff and a few minutes later (maybe 10) the system really started slowing down and eventually it just got hungup (froze) when i tried to open a program. it was completely frozen so i shut it down manually. then i rebooted and it froze up while the windows xp (is loading) screen was up. then it was time for my flight so i just shut it down manually again and packed the laptop away. then when i got to my destination i took my laptop out and plugged it in and started it up. it booted up all the way to showing the desktop and then froze. so i shut it down AGAIN. then i reboot and the screen was black - (((SAME AS MENTIONED BY OTHERS BEFORE IN THIS FORUM)))) power lite on, nobody home - no image, just a black screen, and a power lite. anyway, if i leave it sit for awhile....it will boot up all the way to the desktop again but as soon as i try and open a program of any size it goes bye bye. the screen goes blank. (black or blue) the fan in the back comes on sometimes but does stay on.... its almost as if it over heats and then shuts down - is that possible? also, i have had it stay
"on" long enough for me to go back in and switch the power mngt back to its normal setting. ANY suggestions? confused.
thanks billy

nita mascio Feb 27, 2005, 10:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am so surprised to see all of these issues. Last night I experienced my first boot problem and proceeded to freak out. I panicked. I was listening to music and all of a sudden an error popped up about my cd drive reading digital audio instead of analog and that I had to change something in the device manager. So I did that and then it told me I had to restart the computer for the changes to take effect, so I hit restart. Everything went fine, the blue signoff with my name popped up and the computer went black. Normal, until of course it was supposed to restart. The green light came on but I didn't hear any drive activity and nothing was coming up on my monitor. I waited five minutes, nothing. So I tried turning it on about 3 times, nothing. Then I started cursing my luck because I bought my computer, a PCG-GRX500 B in august of 2002 so the warranty is long past gone. I then called one of my friends and her boyfriend happened to be there, and he works on computers for the military. I unplugged my laptop, carried it down my dorm hallway and he sat it on the floor and plugged it in. He hit start, and wow it rebooted. Everything appeared fine, of course. Then he hit restart and I took it back to my room, plugged it in, and tried to turn it on. Nothing. Nothing came up, so I tried three more times, and nothing. So I shut my computer screen, unplugged it and went to bed. Now this morning, I turned it on and here I am. I have no idea what's going on. Is it a virus or an actual problem? I'm thinking it's an actual problem now that I've read all of this here. I don't even have the extra memory sticks that so many others have. I have my computer, as I bought it. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what to do?

Joe K Feb 27, 2005, 03:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 27, 2005, 03:19pm EST

Hi Stan,

I'll be honest with you, I'm not crazy about Fujitsu. Take a look at their support area for computers online. The last time I checked, it wasn't very good, that really says a lot about a company.

Here is what they offer, after you select your model:

FAQ (Useless)
DOWNLOADS (The only option worth anything)
USERS GUIDE (Useless)
TECH SPECS (Useless)
HELP CHAT (This is where they tell you to send it in)

IBM and Dell blow them away for support options.

If you're going to buy a Fujitsu, get the best and longest possible warranty option available and make SURE the extended warranty is through them and not some other 3rd party company.

If I had to make a decision on what the most powerful online support option a company can have it would be online discussion forums. Online product discussion forums are by far the most powerful tool any manufacturer can give it's customers. Solutions are available to you 24 hrs a day. Chances are, most of the time, someone else experienced the same problem that you will encounter.

My profession is a far cry from a salesman. This is only my personal opinion.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Billy H Feb 27, 2005, 05:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
actually, kinda fixed my pcg-nv170 blackout/no boot up problem. currently it boots up fine but i am only running with one stick of ram (1 stick of 256 instead of 2 sticks = 512) what i found out for some reason....
ram stick A works by it self in both slot A and slot B - stick B also works fine and everthing boots with stick B in slot A or B. the "no boot" happens when i try and use BOTH sticks at the same time.
any suggestions?
thank you
billy

Geoff Higgins Mar 02, 2005, 05:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bought a Sony VGN-A317M a couple of weeks ago, it lasted a week before refusing to boot.
Got a new replacement yesterday and this has only lasted a day.
Will be wnating another but not Sony !

Derek G Mar 04, 2005, 09:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 04, 2005, 09:31am EST

This repair job takes like 8 mintutes of soldering why does joe charge 140 dollars to fix it? Here is a page dedicated to fixing this problem for you do it your selfers.

http://www.los-gatos.ca.us/davidbu/sony_laptop_fix.html

Is there anyone in the buffalo area that won't charge this outragous price to fix this?

Derek

Stan Konesko Mar 04, 2005, 10:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you think that's outrageous try a Sony estimate,on the other hand now that you know whats entailed why not do it yourself .You gets what you payfer....unfortunately thats not entirely true with the Vaio's.

Derek G Mar 04, 2005, 10:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is very outragous. Most repair shops charge 60 dollars an hour for labor. There is no freakin way it takes over 2 hours to solder this. He just has a nitche market and is taking advantage of it.

Joe K Mar 04, 2005, 04:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Stan,

You're absolutely right. I wouldn't pay anything for an 8 minute job. You do get what you pay for. Unfortunately, not many people are aware of what is fully involved with a proper way of repairing motherboards.

Joe K

Joe Kabalan
Tom Pappas Mar 04, 2005, 05:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> :-)
Very diplomatically put, Joe.

I have had to give up on numerous motherboards that had been worked on by do-it-yourselfers who lacked the requisite training, experience, and equipment to perform a successful repair.

Tom P

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Chris DeVitto Mar 05, 2005, 12:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a GRX 520 that will boot to the startup screen and then it will not find the hard drive or the CD DVD drive but it will boot just fine and show the bios.

My question is this a function of bad soldered memory slots or something else on the motherboard?

As the drives both check out OK.

Thanks for the help.

Chris DeVitto Mar 05, 2005, 12:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh just a note I had Joe K fix another GRX 520 for me and that one is just great!!!!

Thanks Joe.

This is a new one I got on the cheap because the owner did not want to hassle with it.

Joe K Mar 06, 2005, 12:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 06, 2005, 09:28am EST

Chris,

This may very well be a BIOS problem, try entering the BIOS setup and choose the options to "load default settings" then save and exit. Also, in the BIOS does the system see and report the correct info for the CD drive and the hard drive?

Joe Kabalan
Chris DeVitto Mar 07, 2005, 11:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe

Apparently this machine was sent to Sony and they reported back that it has MB problems I will have more time to work with it the end of this week but at this time no drives are detected. I have not worked on changing anything in the bios yet as I have family in the hosp and my time is spent at work and there.

Thanks

Chris

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.