Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1132 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:40pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mark Weiss Mar 15, 2005, 08:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Were you having memory amount reporting problems when you had that defective CD/DVD drive installed?

My DVD drive works fine and the hard drive is fine too. I just have trouble seeing all 512MB RAM without rebooting and slamming the notebook down on the desk a few times and rebooting some more.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Anonymous User Mar 16, 2005, 01:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Go to

http://vaioclassaction.blogspot.com

Take action to get something done about your laptop. Please support the lawsuit. It is free to support, go to the site for more information.

Scotty Scott Mar 16, 2005, 04:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear Vaio Lovers,

I went to the suggested site but it appears to be dealing with "faulty power supply" only.
http://vaioclassaction.blogspot.com/.

I previously registered my complaint, i.e., memory slot problem, with another "Lawyer" site at :-
http://www.classactioncounsel.com.

No reply as yet so not hopeful as I have been following on with this Vaio situation since Forum Page 5, Jan 2nd 2004.
I had my slot 2 problem dealt with successfully by Joe K. All is well so far and long may it be so.

I will keep checking the forum as I would love to get a wack at Sony AND get my repair money back.

Best Regards,
Scotty, SPAIN

Peter C Mar 17, 2005, 11:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Scott,

I too have followed up all the loose ends regarding a class action suit. I even called the number of the attorney who posted it on this forum in this very thread. It appeared a while back (in November I believe). I spoke to an admin at the office, gave her my number and asked for a call back regarding the suit, or if it was even active. I've received nothing so far.

Could you please contact me directly via myjunk84@hotmail.com if you hear of anything? I'll do the same.

Thanks.

Peter C.

tom scheffler Mar 17, 2005, 04:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a PCG-FX240 with a bad Ram chip socket like the ones aforementioned. I emailed Scott R. Shepherd from http://www.classactioncouncil.com and he indicated that depositions are starting next week. I also emailed Thomas Apicerno, the Manager of National Customer Relations at Sony with a polite but serious letter about my equating "Sony with quality" until finding out about this Ram issue and how badly their techs and customer service dept. has handled the situation. I recieved an "out of the office" reply and the next day recieved an email from him as follows: (We'll see what happens.......)

Greetings Tom,

I hope you are having a fantastic day and things are going well for you. Thank you for bringing the below customer issues to my attention. Marlon, please research the below customer and reply to all parties once complete. Please get with me if needed to discuss the details.

Kind Regards,

Thomas Apicerno
Manager,
National Customer Relations
Customer Information Services Center
Sony Electronics, Inc.

Graham Bryant Mar 17, 2005, 09:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Count me in as another Vaio victim. My Vaio is coming up on 3 years old (GRX560). About a year and a half the computer just froze. I finally figured out that when I took out the memory in the B socket and just booted with the 256mb chip in A that it worked okay. This worked fine until about a week ago. The Vaio is now going all to pot. Three weeks ago the hard disk crashed. Good old Sony only gives you a recovery disk, not an XP Home disk that would allow you to recover data on your hard disk (recovery wipes the hard disk and starts from scratch). I bought an XP Home disk and recovered my hard drive. Now I find that my memory chip in the A slot is acting up. Generally I have to take it out, replace it, and then unlatch one of the side clips holding the chip in. This pops the chip slightly out and the machine boots. Even worse, now it seems I have to keep the cover off. I am writing this to you with my memory cover off, one chip in A, and one clip on the chip released. Is this the way Sony expects us to operate ?!!!!. My real concern is that I think my A is now buggering up as well as B. Please let me know about class action suits or who I can send the notebook to for repair (Joe?) and how much I can expect to pay. Thanks

Scott Border Mar 17, 2005, 09:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe and other tech guys,

I've noticed that my start up problems on my VGN S150 usually happen after the computer has been moved. After I finally get it to start up, the error report says it has to do with my Display adapter (radeon mobility 9200).

Any ideas? DOes the fact that movement sometimes causes the problem mean I have hardware issues or could this just be a driver thing?

Joe K Mar 17, 2005, 11:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Scott,

That sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software issue.

Graham,

Seems like the going rate is around $149.00 for DIMM slot repair.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Derek G Mar 18, 2005, 11:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow Joe just won't stop his advertizing frenzy on this forum. This must be the kind of person who sells insulin at diabeties fund raiser. This guy knows how to be in the right place at the right time. People don't waste your money on Joe's ripoff prices. Sony is going down, we are going to get the big company to fix it for us free. Stop letting this guy get rich on our misery and Sony's neglegence.

"The Peoples Champ"

Derek.

Chris Lem Mar 18, 2005, 11:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone had his/her Vaio successfully fixed in EUROPE ?

(I have a GRX600 with known SODIMM issue)

Tom Pappas Mar 18, 2005, 11:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We have performed repairs for many customers in European countries, including Germany, the UK, Channel Islands, Ireland, and Denmark.

We provide instructions on how to reduce the shipping weight of a typical Vaio to less than 2kg.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Chris Lem Mar 18, 2005, 12:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for your reply Tom, I will contact you regarding your services.

But since I live in France, I am still seeking an European repair shop, in order to avoid excessive shipping costs and possible loss.

hana alkhaldi Mar 20, 2005, 04:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Help, I am so frustrated with my laptop. I too have had the same problem. My computer froze one day in the middle of working on it. And ever since then, the longest i have been able to get it to work would be about 10 minutes. At this point, I dont even get the Startup Sony logo :(. It is definetly not a hard drive issue becaue sometime the computer works and i can access it fine, and i cant get to my BIOS at all when the computer is not working. Anyway, I am worried it is a power supply issue from what I am reading here , and rather than spend any money I was wondering if i can transport the information from my sony hardrive to another computer (if so, how should i go aboutdoing that when i cant even get the computer to boot up). OR better yet, I have a toshiba laptop from my dad that the only thing malfunctioning is the harddrive; so is it possible to install my sony laptop hardrive onto a toshiba laptop (compatabilitiy issues)? I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Tom Pappas Mar 20, 2005, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Plugging your hard drive into a different computer won't work very well, because the OS will be set up with all the wrong device drivers.

You MIGHT be able to start up in Safe Mode (F8) long enough to capture your important files (by the way, why don't you have a backup?), but I don't think you can operate that way.

Worst case, you can buy an IDE adapter that will allow you to plug your hard drive into a desktop computer as a secondary drive so you can copy files off it.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Jim Dunn Mar 21, 2005, 08:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 21, 2005, 03:37pm EST

I contacted Joe Kabalan last week about my grv670 backlight replacement (very nice guy might I add) I also mentioned derek to him and he told me, Derek contacted him via email with a "take it or leave it" offer of $100 for the memory repair. Joe refused the offer because he said it wasn't fair to everyone else to give "special pricing" to anyone. Obviously derek didn't like this and here he is, crying like a sissy girl. Great job Derek!! You really are a "people's champ" of course only if you get a better deal then everyone else. Youre fake and youre an idiot.

Jim

sammaz bocko Mar 21, 2005, 06:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I Fixed the problem!!!!!

listen...

Sony VAIO PCG-GRZ630 stopped booting ...no SONY screen just fan HDD spinning and green light. I tried pressing on the ram chips while booting and whala! i see SONY logo...so i get thick electrical tape thats about 1\32 in thick and soft and make 5 strips that run the length of each chip and place the rubber electric tape strips down firmly on the chips like a stack of pancakes...then i put the ram case cover back on wich is bulging now because of the added tape and it works fine!!!!!!

over maybe 2-3 years i might have to add more tape if it gets so squished that it doesnt make the cover bulge anymore but you can all fix this now!

THANX ALL

Mark Weiss Mar 21, 2005, 08:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For much of the week, my GRX560 behaved itself. This, after I used a very tiny pin to push behind each pin on the socket that seems to be causing the memory presence/not present problems.

The problem is insidiously difficult to test, statistically. It goes into periods of good behavior, making one think that the remedy tried has fixed the problem, but then it comes back with a vengeance a week later.

Sunday night, I hauled my GRX560 up to the radio station and did my live broadcast off the hard drive. Booted with all 512MB no problems.

Came home, booted again, with all 512 MB. This after a lot of transport and bumping around.

Today, I went back to an earlier system restore point. I did NOT move the laptop. But when it rebooted, it saw only 256MB RAM. I have rebooted, smacked the laptop down on the desk several times, twisted the case a little, and rebooted over and over, and it won't see more than 256MB now. Even after I shut it off and let it cool for an hour, restarting it, only 256MB appears.

The problem is really doing a good job remaining aloof and impossible to nail down. I think pressing on the sockets may have nothing at all to do with my problem. It just randomly decides it's going to see all the memory sometimes, and when it happens after fiddling with sockets, it makes one think that is the problem.

Very frustrating.

I'm interested in finding out when the class action is going to take place. I may have to buy or rent another laptop to fill in while I am without this one.

Peter C Mar 22, 2005, 11:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
sammaz bocko,

You may want to do some quick reading back in this long thread regarding packing stuff on top of your ram chips. You are simply delaying the inevitable complete failure of your machine, and are possibly making things worse. Your best bet is to send it off to Joe K for repair.

Or, you can wait for this impending class action suit if it ever takes place at all. I will be going to Portugal for an extended period in about a month, and am quickly running out of time for joining this class action. I need my laptop with me, so I'll probably end up sending it to Joe, and will hopefully get reimbursed by Sony later.

Peter

victor sun Mar 22, 2005, 08:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have exactly the same problem with my sony NV190. My DVD rom also died within two years
Sony sucks. Do not buy anything (camcorder, latops, desktops, etc) from sony.

A M Mar 23, 2005, 04:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am not sure if my computer problems are directly related to this power issue, but my PCG-F560 (purchased in 2000) had problems from the first week I bought it. The customer service people were a mess and after an hour on the phone with a useless tech support person I had to spend 2 hours with a senior tech advisor to "fix" a brand new laptop. As I recall, computer completely froze on the Sony start up screen, then went dead and would not turn back on, but after various instructions, removing and reinserting the battery (which was of little use) and finally reinstalling everything on the harddrive, it worked. Since then, most of the critical keys on the keyboard will not work (DLT, SHIFT, dash, number six, etc). Also, the battery will not charge and the laptop will only work with the power cord plugged in. If I unplug it, the computer immediately dies. Also, the computer will from time to time start repeatedly rebooting on its own. I am not sure why this computer had so many problems from the get go, but I wish I had been wise enough to return it and get a MAC! If anyone knows the causes or possible repairs for any of the above issues, I would greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.