Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1211 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Mark Weiss Mar 24, 2005, 02:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
That sounds exacly like the Compaq Presario 12XL310 I got before I bought my Sony. :-)

It has been back for repair three times. They finally fixed a half-dead LCD panel, replaced a defective battery, but the crash problems remained to this day. Unreliable. My Sony OTOH, has given yeoman service for 2.5 years, until this month when the first RAM slot started failing to be detected.

Oddly, my problems are not as severe as most reported here.

My VAIO has never crashed on me. It just flips between 256 and 512MB RAM on bootups. I find that I have to press on the SODIMM module #1 to get it to boot with that RAM detected, and then I can let go of it and the system boots. I only have to press on it during POST, and the system detects and uses it.

Did some digging around and found a whitepaper on the SODIMM module pinouts. Apparently two chip select pins and two chip present pins plus a clock for the latter are on every SODIMM module. Perhaps one can narrow down these pins when refurbishing the socket pins with a needle or X-acto blade. I have a hunch one of these pins is not making contact, and is only critical during boot, but not used after that.

Another interesting find is that when the system fails to detect the RAM, it stays cold. When it detects it, I can feel the module heating up as the machine boots.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tony Thyer Mar 26, 2005, 06:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks sammaz - my Sony Vaio FR285M now boots!

- I used a variation - packing the Memory with an elastic band held in place with masking tape.

Ika Sternal Mar 29, 2005, 01:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HeY everybody!
I`d like You all to make a contact about that bullshit of Sony.
There`s really lots of people who was just cheatet by "amazing SONY"
Thank You Sony,yea..
mMake be we shall create kind a list of customers who have PCG-GRX series to make our grezt SOny give us just another laptops.
Why should we loose money like 2000 fu*ing dollars????
Lets fight for it!
If anybody want to join my list of broken GRX series please contact me on ika_star@yahoo.com.
by!

Graham Bryant Mar 29, 2005, 02:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You can sign a petition at http://www.PetitionOnline.com/sonymem1/

There are about 1030 signatures on the peitition. It is specifically for Sony laptops with bad memory sockets.

Ika Sternal Mar 29, 2005, 02:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thnx Graham
Iwas just having an idea like this!

Ika Sternal Mar 29, 2005, 03:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anybody knows Ron Stubblefield who is organizator of the petition on-line? is that going to bring Sony to do that reparation for us?
I`m a 1048 signed.

Scott Shepherd Mar 29, 2005, 03:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio laptop won't boot?
Hello. I represent plaintiff Martin Hapner and a class of consumer in class action litigation against Sony Electronics over the hardware defect that is the subject of this discussion forum, and I thought I would take this opportunity to update forum members who have expresse an interest on the status of the case. The matter was filed by my law firm and several others in July 2004 in Santa Cruz County, California, and eventually was transferred to San Diego County, California, where Sony Electronics is headquartered. Because of problems within the Santa Cruz County clerk's office, specifically the changeover to a new computer system, the transfer of the file to San Diego County took several months longer than would normally be the case, and the case's progress was thus slowed down a bit.

Last week over the course of two days plaintiff Hapner's deposition was taken, and from plaintiffs' counsels' point of view the deposition went well. Sony asked many questions that attempted to show that Mr. Hapner's use of his computer was somehow unusual or careless, and that this caused the problem (the same hardware problem that most of you experienced). Sony also asked questions and took information attempting to show that the Vaio breakdown was a result of software issues. Mr. Hapner did a good job responding, and his honest and thoughtful answers advanced the plaintiffs' case. To date, his efforts on behalf of the plaintiff class have been admirable and thorough.

The case will now proceed through "discovery", the further exchange of information. I will from time to time post an update like this one.

Plaintiffs believe that under the facts and the law the case should be certified by the California court on behalf of a nationwide class. I expect that defendants will argue that the case should be certified, if at all, only on behalf of a California class. It is thus possible that other lawsuits may need to be file in other states, but I will keep everyone posted on that issue as well.

Thanks for your interest in this matter, and I apologize to all of you to whom I have not been able to reply individually.

Scott R. Shepherd
Shepherd, Finkelman, Miller & Shah, LLC
35 East State Street
Media, PA 19063
http://www.classactioncounsel.com

Peter C Mar 30, 2005, 11:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Scott,

Thanks for the update. I for one have been very interested in this case, having a GRX580K that has experienced exactly the same problems as most other people here.

May I be so bold as to suggest that you set up a web page on your site named something like this:

http://www.classactioncounsel.com/SonyVaio/update.html

And in that update.html page, you post messages such as what you've just now posted. Perhaps you could even have a form on that page, allowing interested users to submit their name and contact information (along with their own story on what has happened to their machine). This would make it much easier for all interested parties to keep track of what's going on.

As for Sony's insinuation that this is a user-caused problem, I'm sure one of the experts on this forum who have some experience in the socket soldering process would be happy to provide you with macro pictures of the actual soldering defects in these machines. There was one such poster early on in this thread who worked for years in the wafer manufacturing industry who related this information to us. They would make compelling witnesses.

Thanks for your time Scott.

Regards,

Peter C

J S Mar 30, 2005, 12:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think the class action update website is a great idea. I've been through overheating problems with my grz530, and now it's starting to show the faulty ram slot connector symptoms, so I'd very much like to be able to go to a website such as what Peter suggested for updates.

Y Y Mar 30, 2005, 07:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,

I have a PCG-GRX550 that is having the exactly same problem with the memory causing the PC not to boot. I was wondering if most of you guys are going to just scrap your PC and buy a new one. Is is worth fixing?
Is there any real long term solution to this problem? I really don't want to spend too much money fixing this PC if it will break down in a few months. I also noticed that in addition to not being able to insert both 256mb memory slots, when I check the Pentium speed is sometimes drops to as low as 900Mhz when this machine is supposed to be a 1.6. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Nikki Zhang Mar 30, 2005, 10:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a VGN-S150, and it stops booting since yesterday.
LED power light is on, blank screen, no sound.
I've tried to push the reset, it worked yesterday, but failed today. Then i tried to give a little pressure on the the memory chip cover while turning on the computer, guess what, it worked!!
And after get into windows, the error report says it has something to do with my graphic card, ATI radeon 9200. Does anybody know what's really going on with my computer?

Scott Border Mar 30, 2005, 11:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Nikki,

I had the exact same problem with my VGN S150. The SODIMM issue exists for the VGN series as well. I just got mine back from Joe and it works perfectly now.

Nikki Zhang Mar 31, 2005, 12:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Scott, glad to see your machine got fixed! And one more question for you and other vaio victims:
Did any strange things happened after the occurrence of the booting problem? Like overheated CPU even though there are only a few applications running, system got slowed down significantly, less-sensitive response to the mouse action...ect???

Mark Weiss Mar 31, 2005, 02:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am tryng to nail this problem myself, because I depend on my laptop daily and cannot ship it out somewhere without having to rent and set up another laptop for the duration.

It's not an issue of crashes or data corruption in my case. It's more like a Serial Presense Detect problem, according to the person who replied to my inquiry on a Usenet discussion group.

=======================================
I downloaded this datasheet for the memory modules to find out what their pin functions are:

http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr2/HTF4C16...4x64HG.pdf

My guesses? Pins 195, 197, 198, 199, 200. Used for SPD functions during a
power up.

>The symptom is a failure to detect both modules, unless someone presses on
>the #1 module at POST/Boot time. Once past POST, the module can be let go
>of, and the system will continue to run and use the RAM. Whatever it is,
>it's only needed during POST and then not used, hence the broken connection
>does not matter after that.

Like I said, those would be the most likely candidates, they're only used
at power up to set memory timing. Any other pins would cause memory
failures/crashes.

===========================================================

The above fits my symptoms to a T. I've been retentioning the suspect pins on the socket and the computer sees all the RAM for a while, but then on a routine reboot, it loses one of the SODIMMs again. Reboot again, it's back. I'm going to focus closely on resoldering those pins next and see if that has a lasting effect.

Meanwhile, I hope this class action goes somewhere. I hate shoddy workmanship and companies that refuse to own up to their defects.

Joe K Mar 31, 2005, 09:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mark,

What kind of flux are you using?

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Steve Minter Mar 31, 2005, 01:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, I was wondering if you all could help me with a solution, or atleast correctly diagnose the problem with a laptop computer my dad purchased off eBay a few days ago. I have experience working with computers, desktops, etc but my experience is limited on Laptops.

Basically, this computer does not power up. When you press the power button the lights go on up to the HD light and then it shuts off. You can do this repeatedly and it still wont boot up. It wont boot up via the battery or the AC adapter. I'm not even sure if its charging the battery, I doubt it.

According to some research here and elsewhere it could be a memory slot problem but I doubt that because I have switched the 128MB of memory in both slots, held it down, and tried to power up and it still just flashes through the lights without powering up.

This is a Sony Vaio PCG-FX140. Any help diagnosing the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Tom Pappas Mar 31, 2005, 01:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Steve -

That's the classic symptom of failed memory slots. Switching SODIMMs and pressing down on the connector works for a while, but eventually they all stop seeing any memory at all. What's happening is that the BIOS checks to see what kind of hard drive it has (thus the flickering HD LED), then it looks at memory. If it has trouble seeing any, it just quits.

We have repaired dozens of these.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Steve Minter Mar 31, 2005, 01:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There's no chance the problem could be something else? My dad got this for $300 and I doubt it can be resold for that much.

Mark Weiss Mar 31, 2005, 05:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

I'm not yet replacing the sockets, so the choice of flux hasn't entered into the picture yet. I plan to buy a special flux and low temperature solder as part of an SMD rework kit from Digi-Key, if and when I do replace the SODIMMs. Right now, I plan to reheat those pins and make sure the solder reflows.

z Mar 31, 2005, 06:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 31, 2005, 06:16pm EST

AMAZING..... i am an IT tech and have been working on a very unresponsive SONY VAIO PCG-GRZ630 since 8 am this morning. At 3:30pm i found this board and the Electrical Tape remedy. Low and Behold, it works. I was leary about leaving electrical tape in the compartment tho, so instead, i used 4 hard drive jumpers to add some pressure to the RAM. thanks for the help and this board. You really helped me out a lot.

~susi

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.