Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1081 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:01am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Ron Stubblefield Dec 29, 2003, 04:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Well folks, here's another sad story. As I stated a few posts back, I was able to fix my GRX-580. But NOW my wife tells me her FXA-10 (which we bought in Malaysia) is running slow. I held my breath and opened up properties and OH NO!!!!!.....it's only seeing 256M of the 512M installed memory! Will this BS with Sony sh*t ever end?!!! I pulled the cover off and can't see any pins unsoldered on the SODIMM slot. The plastic back is preventing me from seeing the other row of pins, so I'll need to pull it apart this weekend. In the meantime I tried the "electrical tape stacked up under the memory cover" trick and BLAMO!!.....all 512M are back and the laptop is running better. These will be the last Sony products we buy.
I'll update as soon as I have a chance to open up the case. Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for my Sony TV, mini-DV camcorder, 2 digital cameras and 2 PS2's to crap out. Seems that's the way it's going.
Sad, Sony. Very sad!!

Regards,
Ron

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Rakesh Jain Jan 02, 2004, 04:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have sony PCG FX 503 vaio.Even I have a similar problem one morning I found my Laptop was not booting, only the Power LED comes up (very slowly) that too is not green in color its Amber in colour and the two battery LED glows (even if the batteries are not there) and no fan no hard disk sound nothing.Sony logo also doesnt appear as if it has gone into dead mode. I just have 128 Mb RAM factory fitting.Can any one in this forum advise me of what went wrong, I tried to do every thing whats been mentioned in the thread. But I thing I have a different problem, for me the power light come up but very slowly and is in amber colour. I was working all well before it went into sleep/dead mode. please advise me

Scotty Scott Jan 02, 2004, 05:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had my Sony PCG-GRX550 for 18 months (out of Warranty#@$!) and just 2 days ago it crashed and would not boot. I traced the problem to Slot 2 so I am now running with only 256 MB of RAM. I am in the process of contacting SONY but I don't expect much help judging from this forum's messages. Also, I bought my PC in Riyadh, KSA, and am now in Spain so no help from the dealer either. If somebody is going to address Sony "officially" with regard to this issue then by all means contact me and I will assist. I am now "officially" not going to purchase any Sony equipment in the future.
Regards
Scotty

Claudia Tynes Jan 02, 2004, 07:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try this. I took a thin piece of cardboard and place it directly on top of the memory. Then closed it up. You have to press sort of hard to get the cover piece on and screw it down. If your memory chip is not fried, this might keep going for a good while longer.

Good Luck
Claudia Tynes
Memphis, TN

Jeffrey Birkin Jan 02, 2004, 02:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My PCG-FX250 when not working will get through the first couple flashes of the screen and then just sits there with the fans going, power up , power down, try and try up to 20 times, then, if you give it a tap on the underside and try it it will work. I have only one 128 mb chip so is my problem this or something else?

Claudia Tynes Jan 02, 2004, 10:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sounds like the same thing to me. Try the cardboard trick and see if that gets rid of the 'tapping' requirement.

jeff dunn Jan 03, 2004, 12:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just for the record...and in case someone is keeping count, my GRX550 also failed about a week ago. I, too, resolved the problem my removing the 256MB module from slot 2. Many thanks for the input on this board. This REALLY saved me. I thought I would be without my laptop for 6 weeks while Best Buy scratched their heads.

Hui Su Jan 04, 2004, 02:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem in my FX340. Now the second memory slot is totally dead. The computer only sees the memory in the first solt. I dont know what to do now. SONY sucks.

Chris Latter Jan 04, 2004, 04:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep, add me to the list!!!! I have a Vaio PCG-QR10, don't ask me why, it seemed like a good idea at the time. Had it since 2001, finally decided to treat it with 2 x 256mb memory sticks. Like the rest of the world the second slot will not take the 256mb stick, although it will take the original 64mb stick. So I have 318mb memory and a shop who at the moment refuse to accept the second stick back. With the extra memory working the laptop cannot boot from the battery alone, you have to use AC power. Kinda defeats the object of having a laptop!!! Well done Sony, nice atempt at re-inventing the wheel.
So console yourselves people, the next person who I meet who announces that they work for Sony will soon be lying on their back clutching their 'bedroom furniture', if you know what I mean.
I apologise for the sarcastic tone of the post, but I am English. Thank you.

Kate Hindle Jan 05, 2004, 05:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Sony VAIO PCG-GRX416SP, which is about 16 months old, stopped working last week. I am now unable to boot it at all. When booting without the battery pack the HDD light is lit initially but then only the green light comes on. There is a faint sound of HDD & CD-ROM drive but nothing then happens. Fan is on.

The same applies when the battery pack is installed but a light is also present for first battery LED. When the power button is pressed & held both Battery Pack LED's light up & there is a slight flicker of HDD light then they all go off.

I tried the infomation on this site regarding removing memory & swapping it but none of this has made any difference. Someone has suggested that it is probably a problem with the motherboard. I have seen elsewhere on this site that if this is the problem I can expect to pay 1000 to get it fixed. As I paid 2400 for the laptop in the first place I am not impressed if this is what I will have to do to get it repaired.

One of the reasons that I bought SONY because I thought they were reliable products. I now have a problem with both the digital camera and the laptop. I just remembered too that the car radio & CD player are also both SONY products and they are both broken as well.

Can anyone suggest an alternative solution or how I should approach SONY about this?

Many thanks

Kate

Kate Hindle Jan 05, 2004, 05:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Sony VAIO PCG-GRX416SP, which is about 16 months old, stopped working last week. I am now unable to boot it at all. When booting without the battery pack the HDD light is lit initially but then only the green light comes on. There is a faint sound of HDD & CD-ROM drive but nothing then happens. Fan is on.

The same applies when the battery pack is installed but a light is also present for first battery LED. When the power button is pressed & held both Battery Pack LED's light up & there is a slight flicker of HDD light then they all go off.

I tried the infomation on this site regarding removing memory & swapping it but none of this has made any difference. Someone has suggested that it is probably a problem with the motherboard. I have seen elsewhere on this site that if this is the problem I can expect to pay 1000 to get it fixed. As I paid 2400 for the laptop in the first place I am not impressed if this is what I will have to do to get it repaired.

One of the reasons that I bought SONY because I thought they were reliable products. I now have a problem with both the digital camera and the laptop. I just remembered too that the car radio & CD player are also both SONY products and they are both broken as well.

Can anyone suggest an alternative solution or how I should approach SONY about this?

Many thanks

Kate

Martin Dishman Jan 05, 2004, 10:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After reading these posts, I feel like I am reliving my problems of the last three weeks as my story is the same as these. I only wish I had stumbled across this sooner. My PCG-580K was 15 months old when this problem came up, laptop would not boot just a black screen. Finally I took it to a repair shop and they came across the memory slot problems and thought they fixed it. Now I am looking at a $800 repair bill. I refuse to send it to Sony for repair. I will trust it to these guys to fix and cross my fingers.

Martin

Claudia Tynes Jan 05, 2004, 10:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are two different threads for this topic. Have I posted the cardboard solution? If not, I took a thin piece of cardboard and place it directly on top of the memory chip. When I screwed the cover plate back down, it pressed/held the memory chip tight and is working so far. You have to do this before it fries the memory chip. I burned up two memory chips before trying this.

Claudia

Joe B Jan 06, 2004, 08:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
First, thanks to everyone else on the board for providing information.

I've been having a problem with my Sony Vaio GRX550 and I'm not quite sure if this is the same problem.
It has 512 MB of memory (2x256 chips) which came with it. If the laptop has been turned off for a while, (30+ minutes), when I boot up it will (if it's been off for a while) always report 256MB, be it in the post screen, in the setup, or in Windows XP (Computer Properties).

Here's the weird thing. If I wait a little while, and do a soft reboot (Ctrl-Alt-Del from within setup or restarting windows), it sometimes starts reporting 512MB again. Shutting down and starting up still reports 512MB, unless I leave it off for a while. I've never seen it go from 512 back down to 256MB without leaving it off for a while (almost like it needs to "warm up" -- which is fine for cars but not laptops!), and I rebooted it quite a bit. I downloaded a bootable memory testing program (memtest86, I believe), and it reports no errors whether it's reporting/using 256 or 512 megs of memory.

Jiggling it doesn't seem to specifically work, nor pressing on the bottom plate which covers the memory. I *think* it's related to the heat in some way (which seems to fix it). The machine doesn't crash or anything like that, (but of course, much slower in Windows when it has only half the memory to work with).

Has anyone else seen anything like this specifically? One of the other posters mentioned an alternate problem with mild corrosion on the memory's gold contacts, which can be cleared up with an alcohol wipe, which I'm planning on trying. I'm wondering if anyone else had the same problem.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe B Jan 07, 2004, 07:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After cleaning the contacts on the memory with no luck, I tried the pressure solution with some insulated padding, which seems to have stopped the problem for the time being, so I guess that adds my GRX550 to the ever-growing list of Vaio laptops with the bad memory slot problem.

So, it seems that the "disappearing/reappearing" memory problem is an early warning sign of what will eventually become a much worse problem.

Let's count the score. There's this laptop; My Sony Trinitron won't show a picture if I try to play DVD's using my PS2 (but Xbox/Dvd player work fine), my first PS2's drive went bad, my Sony Discman's volume control is all mucked up, and I had a Sony Stereo on which the CD player went south. I may be a little slow, but I think I've learned my lesson this time. Hopefully, the store where I bought the laptop will honor the extended warranty I bought when I got the laptop.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing their knowledge. I feel you pain...
Thanks,
Joe

Claudia Tynes Jan 07, 2004, 09:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, we're in the same category. It seems to me that Sony packs in some great stuff, great features...and then cheaps out on some tiny critical piece. I'll never buy Sony ANYTHING again.

Claudia

Robert Taylor Jan 07, 2004, 04:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well this is very interesting. I started having similar problems with my Vaio PCG-FX150 about a month ago not showing the full 512 MB or ram. After running exhaustive memory checks on the DIMMS, I decided to check the net. It appears that I'm not the only person having this problem.

Eric McC Jan 08, 2004, 03:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hurray! This particular issue just caught me out with my PCG-GRV680 which I've had for less than 1 year old and should be covered under the Sony warranty, hopefully. If not I did get an extended warranty through Fry's Electronics.

JennyLynn K Jan 08, 2004, 07:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add my pathetic laptop to the list.

I have a PCG-GRX560, purchased from BJ's Wholesale Club in Mar 2003. I've tried both fixes (padding under the cover and switching the cards in the slots. I only have one card so switching was rather easy, but no boot up. Padding did not provide anything either...unless you count that now I have a "flashing" battery light and a solid power light instead of just a solid power light. Is that an improvement? haha. I don't think so. I'm assuming that my sole card is fried. Once I confirm that my files will be intact after repair, I'll be sending it off to Joe K.....in the box that Sony sent me to ship it back to them. How ironic.

Luckily (?) my laptop is still under warranty, but not until I find the proof of purchase (which is impossible at the moment since my belongings are in transit on a moving truck from MD to CA.) Figures. I'm very worried that my decision to purchase "everything Sony, for compatibility and reliability" is going to be one of the worst things I've decided to do. (Digital camera, TVs, Video Camera, Laptop, PC, etc.) I've added my name to the Class Action Suit that lonney@mymedianetworks.com is trying to put together. Please send your info to him so we can get our "lifelines" restored. (and Sony can save "face")

Good luck.

the "Avon Lady" :)
Chad Webb Jan 09, 2004, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had my Sony Vaio GRX 550 for nearly 2 years now. It worked great for the first year. Now I have a similar problem with booting -- occassionally powers down w/o warning, then won't boot very far b4 powering down again soon after. Tried the memory fixes, but they last only temporarily. Tried removing #2 memory chip. That worked for about a month. Then tried heat shrink tubing to force memory chip down further to make better connection. That worked for several more weeks. However, the problem keeps recurring -- As everyone knows who's read many of the posts, the memory slots make a poor connection with the memory. Whenever I have problems, I typically remove the memory chip and re-insert it (make sure to ground myself b4 this operation) to hopefully produce a slightly better connection. This typically works until I move the laptop around significantly (like taking it home or back to work).

Before all this hassle, I loved my vaio. Even suggested my father purchase the "new & improved" GRT series. He is having the EXACT same problem with his now and we're both frustrated. Unfortunately, since the problem is still random enough, it is an impossible case to prove with the tech support people who naturally just don't want to have to shell out money to support their product. Also, GRT series doesn't have driver downloads -- you're stuck with all the extra crap software on their "recovery CD's". Won't buy again, that's for sure.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.