Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 666 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:21am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Silent Apr 06, 2005, 08:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Listen, i dont know where to go for this so i am just going to post my laptop problem here:
My toshiba satelite is messed up, it has a boot error. all i need to do is re-install the os(windows xp prof) so i pop the disc in, follow the steps.(I don't knows**t about computers, my father's friend was helping me through this). he popped in the disc and then it said press any key to reinstall os or something like that(blue screen) so the comp starts grinding away but then TURNS OFF BUY ITSELF. the computer is FULLY CHARGED and CHARGER IS PLUGGED INTO THE WALL, but every time we get to that step and the computer starts grinding away, it shuts down after a fews seconds.
NEED SOME HELP, DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO!!

amd64 3000+(754)
1gb pc3200 ram
Powercolo x800gt V-Card
Maxtor Maxline Plus II hd
Msi K8N neo3 mobo
Logysis Phantom case 480w ps
Windows XP pro
Cdrw/dvdrom

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Flavio Chang Apr 07, 2005, 11:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow ... this post has been on for two years and sony did nothing to announce or 'recall' for the product. I have been having problems w/ sony electronic products but the boot problem was enough for me. Frustration will carry on, I will hardly purchase any product from sony. I cannot content to pay around $2500 (usually the most expensive laptop brand) to work for two years and have it die afterward. How can sony just simply ignore the customers. Not even a recall or simply an announcement for the boot problem. We should do something like many others had posted: complain and suit.

Siobhan Simpson Apr 09, 2005, 06:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a similar problem I'm afraid but unlike the others I don't remember adding any chips, extra memory, etc. when I try to boot up my computer everything seems to be working fine, all except the screen. What is wrong with it and how can I fix it? Please help asap!!

Murray Lycan Apr 09, 2005, 10:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this exact overheating problem. It was so bad I could not use continuous duty functions such as Norton All File scan, DVD, talking over VOIP, etc. I couldn't say enough bad about Sony laptops. Solution: one can of compressed air. Procedure:
1. Shut down laptop.
2. Don't take anything on the laptop apart.... simply spray the air into the side vent holes and watch the dust bunnies blow out the rear vent holes. This will take about 1 minute to do. No technical expertise required.
3. Restart laptop and everything will be resolved assuming no hardware faults actually exist.

Do this a couple of times each year and you will love Sony once again.

Tom Pappas Apr 09, 2005, 10:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> W A R N I N G ! ! !
Blowing air into a cooling fan may cause the fan motor to act as a generator, possibly sending voltage into the mother board, with catastrophic consequences!

Always unplug the fan before using air (either blowing or using a vacuum) on a laptop's cooling system.

Tom

http://www.vaioshutdown.com/overheat.htm

Walter Mel Apr 10, 2005, 12:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 10, 2005, 01:13am EDT

I know this is not the right place to post this but it's about a vaio. I was wondering if I could upgrade the hard drive in my fx340 to a 100GB hd without any problems? Would I need to update the BIOS? What should I look for in a hard drive or would any 2.5" hd work? Any information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
Walter

Jake T Apr 10, 2005, 02:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Instead of using the compressed air i cleaned the fan and the cooling cage and still nothing same temperature as before. Maybe the dust is somewhere else? The thing is the temperature stays normal until i start using laptop at full power then it jumps up 40F in 1 second, maybe my censors are not working?

Chris DeVitto Apr 11, 2005, 01:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom or Joe can you help with this question I cannot seem to get a answer so I will repost the question I asked last week.

Maybe this is the wrong forum for this so if anyone knows where else I might post this let me know.
Many thanks.
Chris
My GRX 520 runs great with all memory slots showing up with the correct amount of ram my question is why the heck does the processor run at really slow speeds on battery even with Sony's power controls shut off, most of the time I am getting a speed of 897mhz when the sony info screen says this thing should run at 1200. When the battery is drained and the unit plugged in I get a speed of 1189 mhz or something like that. Once the battery is charged over 10% the unit runs at 1597mhz. Is this a function of the speed step stuff or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance for all the help Tom and Joe have been invaluable with their help. Many Many thanks.

Chris

George Bowser Apr 11, 2005, 04:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A few ‘thank you’s’. I was recently given a ‘broken’ Vaio – they knew I liked to tinker with computers. It was a bit puzzling – power light on – hd spinning up briefly and then – absolutely nothing. I then found this forum ! 5 minutes and a folded up piece of paper later, and I had a temporary fix. Mindful of the warnings that a temp fix would fail after a bit – I emailed Joe Kabalan at AQS if he knew of someone in the uk who could do the permanent repair (US is a rather long way to send it for repair) and he was generous enough to immediately reply with a name – BK Repairs near Cheltenham. Richard (aka BK Repairs) was helpful, prompt, professional and good value. I now have a fully working high spec Vaio (and no, I wouldn’t buy a new one !) – so thank you everyone.
George Bowser

Kun Liu Apr 16, 2005, 01:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 16, 2005, 01:57pm EDT

This time it is VGN S260.

I bought this laptop Oct, 04 from US and then moved to Toronto. My laptop shut down in Jan 17 and can not boot up. NO POWER, No any light turn on, just totally dead. I called Sony, they said even it still has warranty, they won't take care any laptop that is not in US and I need mail it back to San Deigo. They spent one month to mail a box to me, and totally it took 2 month and $200 for the mail fee and repair. So on March 17, I was very happy to get my S260 back.

However, yesterday, it died again. It is really sucks!!! All the situations are same. It just shut down suddently, no any reason. I try the memory stocks method. It dose not work, but I only have one 512 RAM. I called sony and they said I even could not buy a oversea warranty! I will not buy any thing from suck Sony. Their service is #$##(%^&&*.......

Dose anybody have some idea about this? I guess it is the same problem and this problem must happened many times. Could somebody tell me how to repair it? I won't pay another $200 to get a one-month laptop!!!

Thanks in advance.

Denis Luzin Apr 17, 2005, 12:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kun,

The problem may be with:
1. DC connector on motherboard (this problem is visible)
2. Cable between DC regilator board an motherboard or/and cable between power on button/lights/speakers and motherboard
3. Over/under voltage from AC adapter
4. CMOS battery shortage (in very rare cases)
5. DC regulator board
6. DIMM selector chip (as a result of overvoltage, DC regulator board problems or cable problems)
7. Something else

At first check the following:

Put the battery out of laptop.
Plug in AC adapter and same time pay attention to CAPS, NUM and SCROLL lights. These lights should flash for about 1/3 of second in 1-1.5 seconds after plugging AC adapter. If these lights doesn't flash you might have one or some of following problems:

1. DC connector on motherboard is damaged
2. AC adapter doesn't work
3. DC regilator board (PWS-xx add-on board) doesn't work
4. Cable between PWS board and motherboard is damaged
5. Cable between power button/lights/speakers and motheboard is damaged
6. Motherboard is completely dead (some of DC regulator board power outputs shorted in motherboard)

If lights flashes try the following:
- using a needle or paper clip press reset button located under small gap somewhere near to memory slots cover
- lights (CAPS, NUM, SCROLL) should flash after pressing reset
- try to power on your laptop

If this works you should check your AC adapter for under/over voltage, because your motherboard may be fried in near future. If AC adapter is OK you probably have problems with cable between DC regulator board and motherboard. You can try to buy new (and better than original) cable from Joe.

If this doesn't work - you prbably have problems with DC regulator board itself (or undervoltage from AC adapter) and I can recommend you to stop your investigation at this point and send your laptop for repair. If you read all of this forum you can find at least two popular repair shops (Joe's and Tom's) that will fix your problem permanently. Instead of spending $200 postage to/from Sony again and again (you will probably experience memory slots problem after 6-12 month from last motherboard replacement in addition to your current problem) I can recommend you to spend $150-$300 plus postage for permanent fix.

This recommendations are based on my experience with GRX and GRV series of VAIOs, but might be helpful for VGN-S series I hope.

Joe and Tom, if you see that I'm not correct - please post here your opinion.

Kun, I hope that my post will help you and/or someone else.

Best regards,
Dennis

Jake T Apr 17, 2005, 12:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Privet Denis ))

What about overheating, what should i do now after i cleaned the fan? The Laptop is still overheating...

Denis Luzin Apr 17, 2005, 12:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 17, 2005, 12:24am EDT

Privet Jake :-)

You could try to add/change thermic glue (I don't exactly know how it is named in English).
This is a paste usually placed between CPU and colling plate, If you changed CPU in regular PC then you should understand what I'm talking about.

If this will not work the problem may be with CPU itself and/or CPU DC power supply (few MOSFETs on motherboard drived by special controller chip). If you have spare CPU try to replace it. Don't forget about thermic glue, if you will not use it you could kill spare CPU. If CPU change will not help - send your laptop to repair shop. As you can see here are two (Joe's and Tom's) shops that have quite good reputation.

Best regards,
Dennis

Tom Pappas Apr 17, 2005, 11:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, Jake -

For overheating cures, please see my web page

http://www.vaioshutdown.com/overheat.htm

Tom

Kun Liu Apr 18, 2005, 01:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Denis,

Thank you so much for your professional helpful informaiton.

I tried to plug in AC adapter but no light flashing happened. I will try to see if this thing will happen on a healthy Sony S series . There are another two S150 in my lab. One of them shut down after has been used two month and my friend got a new one from Sony. Recently, there were some weird things happened on it, but it still can work. Another one has been all good after about half year.

Anyway, I will let you know how the thing is going. I will call Sony tomorrow to see if they can tell me what's wrong.

Thanks again.

Kun

Conrad Bacon Apr 18, 2005, 11:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got a Vaio A217M, and it looks like the same symptoms described in this thread are shown in it's recent death. It's only 4 months old, and it went into hibernation while battery power was giving up, and now it won't turn back on again. No LEDs at all, and AC adaptor is fine. I've been through all the following, to no avail:-

- removing battery
- holding down power key for 10 secs / 20 secs / half an hour!
- leaving without battery or power for a couple of days
- trying to start with no battery

I'm scared stiff of Sony taking it away and scrubbing the hard drive just for fun, getting it back & still not knowing what the problem is.

Anyone else with this problem in an A217M? Any new ideas on what's gone wrong?

Gaurav Srivastva Apr 20, 2005, 04:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Vaio GRX 580K and it just won't power up or charge the battery. I had a similar problem last year and got it repaired in San Jose, CA. Now, I'm living in Chandler, AZ and was wondering if anyone repairs the laptop in Phoenix area?

Thanks
Gaurav

Hifshon Yasiah Apr 21, 2005, 09:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
They will never do anything less we act. Those bastards figure us poor pawns will just keep complaining while they keep putting out crap with big $tags. We must remember that we are the consumer. Our needs must be satisfied. If Sony replaced everyone's laptop on this board it would be like dropping a penny in a well. We shouldn't have to tinker and tamper with these $1500, $2000 and $2500 laptops to get them running.

Floyd Wray Apr 21, 2005, 09:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Let's sue.

Hifshon Yasiah Apr 21, 2005, 09:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I put some info into a lawyer database. One of the things we would need is to get a petition going and to get everyone's story. Do a search for Class Action Lawsuits or free legal advice. Let's put some fire under Sony's feet.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.