Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1168 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:43pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Hifshon Yasiah Apr 21, 2005, 04:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
System has been working for 3 hours now with the biz card in the memory bay fix. Also, systems no reads 512mb instead of 256. So both slots seem to be working. I have been talking with Sony only to get the run around. Sony will have to do something out of this world to gain my business again.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Hifshon Yasiah Apr 21, 2005, 04:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Damn! I forgot that the Playstation is Sony.

David Kessler Apr 21, 2005, 06:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I talked to a salesman at Staples who had a really interesting suggestion. He suggested contacting the Attorney General. He noted that there were sometimes young lawyers in the office who welcomed the opportunity to make a name by taking on a big company.

Anybody here from Massachusetts and interested in trying this?
David Kessler

Conrad Bacon Apr 22, 2005, 05:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Regarding the lawsuit - what's our case? If this forum is anything to go by, there are enough unhappy customers to hit Sony's market share, and more would be attracted if there was a site that all forums could point to. I'm naive enough to hope the website itself might have impact before the lawsuit gets to court.

Goods not fit for purpose? - unreliable? poor quality soldering for price? Is a comparison with other brands like Toshiba necessary? I had a Tosh which I dropped off a bunk bed and it still worked.

Warranty issues are a bit of a sideshow, I suppose, the test is what quality a reasonable person can expect, paying the prices we all have. It shouldn't just be a guarantee of a chance of having a working product for 1 year, interrupted by 2-week stints in the repair workshop of a different country / state, having your hard drive wiped, then having no useful support after warranty has expired.

Our UK Sale of Goods Act 1979 needs a bit of updating for technology since that date - I don't know what the situation is in the USA.

I suppose a lawyer would need to advise on what details need to be collected from people on, say, a website form, to prevent having a load of signatures that just melt away at the Crucial moment. I do intensely dislike all this suing business, but if I've paid 1,500 for something, I expect it to work for 7 or 8 years with no problem at all - the argument that I can only expect 3 or 4 years before it becomes obsolete is entirely beside the point. If it's an isolated problem, then the financial impact on Sony will not be that bad, so they can help out more, if it's not an isolated problem, the financial impact should be punitive.

I'm waiting for my Vaio to come back from Alsace, France, but if even if they do fix it, I don't want to be waltzing towards the end of my warranty with no safety net in place, hence my litigious ramblings. I realise there are some good repair workshops around, like Joe & Tom, and BK repairs in Cheltenham UK, but they shouldn't be necessary for at least 5 years, especially where no modifications have been made to the machines.

Is this legal challenge a serious runner, or are we merely venting our frustration?

Regards

Conrad

Ed Keating Apr 22, 2005, 07:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add me to the list of very happy people who have been helped by Joe K. 2 days there, one day in the shop, and 2 days back to me. about $149.00 plus shipping and I have my computer back running like a champ. I had almost forgotten how much I liked this machine when I first got it. Thanks again Joe, and AQS Computer Services. I have never been happier with any computer shop. I have another viao a friend gave me w/ similar probs that is going up there as soon as I can swing it! If you have a sony laptop that boots to a black screen and can afford a couple hundred bucks or less to get it fixed, you should contact Joe K. His info is below.

--ed

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com
http://www.laptopbios.com

Sandy Modesitt Apr 24, 2005, 01:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wanted to put in another plug for Joe at AQS. I sent in my laptop last month for the memory problem - freezing when memory in second slot. It was returned within the week and I haven't had a problem since!

Sandy

james davis Apr 25, 2005, 08:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Well If you live in London I can help . I can resolder the power pins on your motherboard usually there are about 144 pins sometimes one or 2 of those pins breaks and need to be resoldered. I own a compamy called http://www.laptoprepair.co.uk This is a very common problem and thanks to sony i am being kept very busy. hope you find this thread as its the best help you can get.I look forward to helping you soon . regards james

Derek G Apr 27, 2005, 09:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
does anyone know how to force more than 512 ram in one of these computers? can it be done? do you need a bios upgrade?

Hector Silva Apr 27, 2005, 11:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot (Power Questions)
Is there a way to readily check if the Power board (PWS-22) is getting power through the Mainboard. I would want to know if the power board is functioning or if it is the mainboard not giving the Power board power. Or is there any other way to check if the mainboard is working and the DC Power board is dead?. This is on a PCG-GRZ660. I would like to know like what pins to check and where, etc etc and what the normal readings are or should be. Thanks a lot in advance

Tom Pappas Apr 29, 2005, 09:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A quick check on the power circuitry is to unplug both the battery and AC adapter, then plug in the AC and watch the LEDs just above the power switch on the speaker panel. The Shift Lock, Num Lock, and Scroll Lock lights should flash once.

If they don't, there is no voltage getting to the main board.

If they do, then plug in the battery and see if the '1' LED flashes slowly. If it does, then the charging circuits are functioning.

Let us know if we can solve your problem for you.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Jake T Apr 30, 2005, 12:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Is it possible that sensors on my laptop are not working properly and cause of that the software is detecting the wrong temperature? The main reason i am suspicious is because temperature jumps from 115F to 140F, i don't think its possible, and the other one both Hard Drive and Processor are overheating simultaneously.

Hector Silva Apr 30, 2005, 03:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Mr. Pappas... I disconnected the battery, plugged in the AC adapter and no LED flash. I tried it with the PWS-22 board unconnected, no flash. Now what I am hoping is if anyone knows what is role the ribbon cable from the Mainboard to the Power board. The metal strip coating on the ribbon looks to be slightly worn and peeling. Should/Would the LED flash without the PWS-22 connected ? If ONLY the Mainboard is set up with the processor, video board and Speaker and Power switch panel... would the LED flash? IF it would flash... would the no flash indicate a problem with the Mainboard or with the Power board?

Thanks for your suggestions... looking forward to reading more of what you all have to say.

Hector

Graham Bryant Apr 30, 2005, 09:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Derek,

Regarding running with more than 512 Mb memory

I have a GRX560 running with 1 GB of memory (2 x 512 Mb). I haven't had a problem yet running with this configuration. I did not have to do anything with the Bios.

Victor Galvez Apr 30, 2005, 04:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to every body,
i guess that i have the same problem with my grx550. The symptoms are the same, but i think that the problem isn`t with the memory slots. When i am working for a half hour, the fan starts to make sounds like starts and stops and again, starts and stops. This happen when the cpu temperature is about 55 celsius. Then complete stop and dont boot until the next day. What is going on? Any body knows?
Another question, the two fans of the computer have to work since the computer boots?

Val Sant May 03, 2005, 01:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, here's another one. I don't remember all that I have posted prior to this or other discussion boards but - I also have the Sony PCG-GRZ660 with the same issues as the majority of you who have posted here. You can count me in on a class action lawsuit - and I may have access to just such an attorney in San Jose, CA, familiar with technology issues, who likes high profile cases.

At six months old, my laptop ran so hot that it continually shut itself off until I could no longer run programs. I had been doing some photographic/Powerpoint work - pretty heavy for a laptop, so I stopped doing that.

I sent it in to Sony, and they were very good about replacing the motherboard, cleaning the fan, wiping my hard drive (!) and I think they did something to my DVD recorder fbecause it never worked as well thereafter. Six months later, it all started again. So, knowing what was coming, I never ran it to the "hot" point. Then one day it just died! Next day it started up for 2 minutes and quit. Next day 30 seconds. It did start once when I tipped it up on it's side, though, interestingly enough.

After reading many comments posted here, I opened up the memory slots on the back, removed the #2 memory bank and PRESTO CHANGO it works again. Thanks for that. Now for the problem -- even if I pay one of these guys to resolder my memory slot, the fan will eventually loosen the solder at the same point - since cleaning the fan is not completely successful using compressed air alone. I really feel that Sony owes me on this. I spent around $2400 in all including accessories.
Food for thought: Is there any chance of running a "cooler" chip than the Pentium 4?

Jake T May 03, 2005, 02:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Why do you think removing memory resolves the overheating issue? Mine is constantly overheating and cleaning the fan doesn't seem to help.

David Kessler May 03, 2005, 02:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem with class action suits is that the victims never get much--it goes to the lawyers. That was why I thought the Staple's guy's suggestion of contacting the Attorney General was interesting. Of course that requires people organizing in each of thier states.

Someone asked why bother, what would we hope to get. I guess my thought would be that there are two things to be gained.
Thing 1 (for all of you Cat in the Hat fans):
Generate bad publicity that might cause the chains that sell Sony machines to think about looking for other laptops to sell. Generate bad publicity that could cause Sony to become concerned about their image and admit then fix the problem on future machines (I can't understand why they haven't fixed the problem in newer versions of their products).

Thing 2:
Get Sony either to fix the machines free of charge and reimburse people who have paid to have their machines fixed by others.

Using the Attorney General would presumably not involve a great deal of expense. The number of people who have written to this topic and the length of time this topic has been going on should provide some substantive information for an enterprising AGs office. So I'll repeat my earlier question: Anyone in Massachusetts interested in pursuing this with me?

David

Val Sant May 03, 2005, 05:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Jake -

Sorry for the confusion -- my fault. Actually, what I believe and have read is that the fan gets clogged with dust first, (the fan is not designed well enough to cool the Pentium4). The machine then runs hot and exaserbates a (poorly?) soldered connection somewhere around the #2 SDRAM. Once you remove the 256 SDRAM in that socket, the machine boots up again, using the other 256 SDRAM only. I read about it here on several pages, tried it and it worked for me also. The problem, I fear, is that overheating may persist if I can't keep the fan clean. My unit didn't experience "non-booting" until a year after the overheating problem first appeared. If I can't control the heat, I can't control the damage - more of it in new places.

Val Sant May 03, 2005, 05:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jake,

I don't think that taking out the SDRAM will fix the overheating, but cleaning the fax worked once before - for a while. What are you doing to clean the fan? Are you able to open up the unit completely? I can't figure that out on my unit. Ultimately, the best solution is going to be to purchase Mac.

Jake T May 03, 2005, 05:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
-Val Sant

Thank you very much, it all makes sense now. How hot does your laptop gets? If you can, download please this free temperature monitoring software http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php its showing my Sony pcg-grz630 running at 140F and the standard is about 117F.

I was thinking maybe purchasing a new fan from Sony but seems to me this works just fine, or maybe i can get a different Sony fan, something that is more powerful?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.