Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1156 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:33pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Somuco May 14, 2005, 04:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
I have PCG-GRX530, it seem too hot after 4 hr running, I bought a Notebook Chill Mate from Fry's electronic, my system never have any heat problem anymore.

http://www.targus.com/us/CategorySearch.asp?SearchedTerms=chill+mate

At Fry's only ~22.00 but in their website will be ~29.99.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mickey Mouse May 14, 2005, 02:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Help!!!
My sony laptop works fine,but just recently, when i turn the laptop on, just after the SONY logo at boot, it starts beeping, and it wont boot up unless i press the ENTER key; once i do so, windows xp boots up, BUT, once i'm at the login screen, ANY username i click, *something* starts automatically putting in and filling the box with a password...so i have to erase it in order to login...and once i do, everything works ok.

Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Thanks

David Kessler May 14, 2005, 04:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me. You might want to run some virus scan software on your machine.
David

David Kessler May 14, 2005, 04:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think it's interesting that Sony has acknowledged a problem with the GRT line but not any others--like my GRX.
David

Hifshon Yasiah May 14, 2005, 07:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Where do they acknowledge problems with GRT?

Derek Ribbons May 14, 2005, 07:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
On page 47 near the bottom there were 2 links posted,

They warn about using the laptop in areas where there are pets, rugs or dust. So problem solved, I need to use the laptop in an air conditioned clean room and there will be no problems, oops I'm too late mine no longer boots,oh well.

I should have shaved the cats when I had a chance.

Somuco May 14, 2005, 09:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Important Notice for VAIO® PCG-GRT2xx/3xx Series and PCG-GRZ Series Notebook Customers
Posted: 12/03/2004

This information applies to the following Sony® VAIO® notebook computers:

PCG-GRT280ZG
PCG-GRT360ZG
PCG-GRZ530
PCG-GRZ630
PCG-GRT290Z
PCG-GRT380ZG
PCG-GRZ600
PCG-GRZ660
PCG-GRT290ZP
PCG-GRT390ZP
PCG-GRZ610

Your notebook computer is equipped with a cooling fan and heat sink that help your notebook computer maintain the proper operating temperature. These areas must be kept clean and free from debris, so as not to restrict the air flow.

Since your notebook computer is a portable device, it can be used in a variety of environments. Please

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/news-item.pl?mdl=PCGGRZ530&news_id=62

Frank Hudson May 15, 2005, 05:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No matter what is posted on websites... the VAIOs of the PCG- FX, GRX, etc... are all made with the same or similar chasis. Fan output should always be barely warm if not slightly above room temp. Mine was always as hot as a hair dryer... and I always made sure it was properly vented. Poor design and then dispassionate indifference are the issues here. SONY knew of these problems long before the suits.

As a side note did anyone ever get a battery configuration that came anywhere near the suggested battery life mentioned in the ads and sony's manuals ? I saw that complaint shortly after i ORDERED my Vaio. That should be appended to the class action suit. False ADVERTISING....

Frank

Joe K May 15, 2005, 08:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Frank,

The FX and GRX models are two completely different animals. The ONLY thing they share is the DC Power Jack. Everything else is different. Cooling system components and design, everything is different.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Johny Book May 15, 2005, 08:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I see there is a lot of issues with this power jacks.... I always prefer certified repair service for my equipment. For all of you folks I can give one advice try them http://www.800tech.com ! SUPER QUICK, SUPER ADVANCED, SUPER CHEAP. THEY LITERALLY PUT MY POWER JACK TOGETHER FOR $99.99! POWER JACK WAS BROKEN COMPLETELY WITH PEACE OF THE MOTHER BOARD. NOT ONLY THAT, I GOT MY COMPUTER CLEANED UP AS AT WAS AS NEW ??!!!??? MAYBE THEY JUST DID FOR ME.... MAYBE NOT :-//// I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THEM! AND THIS MESSAGE BOARD BECAUSE I FOUND THEM HERE !!!

Somuco May 15, 2005, 04:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For your info.

Repost the link in page #20
http://www.consumeraffairs.com/computers/computer_complaints.html

Stacy Da Costa May 15, 2005, 04:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Sony PCG - GRX650 that stopped booting up or only booted up intermittently, about 17 months after I purchased it. I had to purchase another laptop because this problem occurred smack in the middle of important corporate project presentations. I now find that I need a second laptop and was searching the web for a place to start troubleshooting the Sony issue when I encountered this thread. I'm posting this reply to document my own laptop's failure to reboot in the hope that the growing number of incidence of this problem will get Sony to take notice.

My Sony PCG - GRX650 Symptoms

- On powering on the laptop the extreme left green LED and the extreme right amber
LED light up. Shortly threreafter the extreme right LED flickers off followed by
intermittent flickering of the two middle amber LEDs.

- The laptop does not boot up at any time.

- Upon reading an entry in this thread indicating that removing the back plate over
the memory sticks, and applying pressure to the memory sticks, has resulted in
successful reboots of other Sony VAIOs with reboot problems, I tried this
excercise and the laptop rebooted.

- Trial after trial of attempting to reboot without applying pressure to the memory
sticks resulted in the laptop failing to reboot.

- Each time pressure was applied properly the laptop rebooted.

Hanka Z May 17, 2005, 07:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I am in the trouble with my GRX316SP as well. At first it was slow, at second "main desk" and now is broken the backlight lamp. They offer me new display but I don't understand why I can't pay for piece which is broken - it's lamp for few backs!!!

I am from Czech Republic but notebook was buying for me company VTDATA 3 years ago, when they haven't been on the market here. Now Sony Czech told me that I have fix the trouble with Sony in country from where it came...:o

I found some web, where you can offer the lamps with the instructions how to do it. The lamps cost maximum $20 + shipping.

http://www.jkllamps.com/laptop.cfm

But still, I will write an article about my experience in news paper here in our country... I think it's fair and my duty ;)

Have a great day and more of funn with yours Vaio's !!! uuuu

Hana

Frank Hudson May 18, 2005, 03:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

I'm not disputing the fact that the FX and GRX series are not clonal variants, My point is that the PCG line suffers from the same exact faults as the GRX model series. I'm currently waiting to hear from Sony's Legal team before I officially join the class action suit.

While I agree that they are not the same models I assure you I've scoured the net and threads in this post and the PCG-FX series manifested the same problems. I have now aquired a Dell Inspiron 6000 and it has vents everwhere... bottom, top, sides etc... It contains the Pentium M 1.6 with 533mhz side bus with 2mg L2 cache. The air output from the fan is never hot. I opened up my Sony unit and the fan was CLEAN despite the fact that I own a golden retriever and live in a house with a smoker. I have built and maintained my own desktops for some years now and I always check the ventilation of them periodically. With only two main air entry points it is obvious that the VAIO PCG units were built much like EASY BAKE ovens ! I would be more than happy for you to do a post mortem on my PCG-FX310. It manifested the memory problem accompanied with bluescreen failures just as described in the GRX series. I don't know about everyone else but I can tell you that the unit was inadequately vented and the cascading failures were due to HEAT issues as mentioned on the FIRST page of this thread.

My secondary gripe would be with the poor battery life of the PCG units which is documented on old links throughout the net. I personally have no doubt that the unit can be made functinal again but can you guarantee that HEAT wasn't the Catalyst which caused the problem in the first place ?

Your earlier posts said that the GRX line would die due to heat issues. Perhaps it was the Quiet Fan setting in the power management scheme that allowed ALL of the PCG's to overheat... either way, there are posts here that acknowledge that PCG-FX units have experienced the EXACT same falilures as the PCG-GRX units.

Joe, have you actually repaired any PCG-FX models ? I can fully acknowledge that the configurations are different but the undeniable fact is that ALL of the models we are talking about here are the PCG line.

If you have any ideas or theories about any of this I would be more than happy to hear them.

fhudson@midsouth.rr.com

Frank

Matt Williams May 18, 2005, 07:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm still at the early stages of figuring out why my PCG-FR415M failed on me last Thursday at a meeting with a client, but I suspect that I've found my answer in this thread.

It's amazing that it failed 13 months after buying it.

I just wanted to add, I've always loved the screen, it's so bright and clear that I can do great demos to clients with it.

But the battery life! It lasts 50 minutes max if I'm doing simple stuff, and if I listen to MP3s or watch DVDs then it lasts about 40 minutes.

I bought this Vaio in an emergency last year from UK stationery superstore Staples (I was in hospital and had to keep working), and I know that trying to take it back to them to get it fixed will be a Laurel and Hardy type fiasco. I wouldn't buy another Sony. I'd buy a Dell, just because I know that I can get it fixed rapidly under a sensible warranty plan.

Tom Pappas May 18, 2005, 12:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Why They Fail
It is an immutable Law of the Universe that you can't have a laptop computer with extreme performance AND extreme reliability AND extreme battery life in one package. If you can manage to make do without bleeding-edge performance, you can have the other two.

Vaio PCGs (and most other Sony products) are quite deliberately designed at the extreme end of the feature/longevity spectrum. Like so much in the turn-of-the-century consumer culture, they are intended to be packed with functionality at the expense of being disposable - obsolescent in a year or two. In order to market the "Biggest, Fastest, Sexiest, Bestest" brand (as well as to ensure future sales), Sony engineers take an extremely un-conservative approach to design. This cavalier attitude seems to have begun with the F-series and their inadequate provision for cooling that led to the now-famous capacitor-cooking syndrome. I don't think it's incompetence - certainly Sony can afford to (and does) hire the best engineers money can buy. But their design guidelines are to get the product out the door as soon as they can with the most bells and whistles the state of the art will support.

As long as people are more concerned with the Bragging Rights that Vaio owners seem to be willing to pay premium prices for (notice their commercials focus on image, not reliability), they will continue to buy them, and I will continue to repair them.

If you can be satisfied with merely adequate performance, greater service life, and reduced battery drain, ask your local laptop repair shop what brand they see the least of.

Tom

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Todd Flink May 19, 2005, 06:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Everybody,

Have been here before decided to register and enter my comments.

Sony Vaio PCG-GRX520 base memory 256 I found identical 256 and added myself ... purchased from Sears around mid 2003

Within the course of 4 months power jack disinegrated and seperated from motherboard.... kept computer staionary for a few months to keep it charging and running....... called Sony for warranty service.... received packaging material and RMA...... when I finally got around to getting ready to send it in (misplaced receipt and had to find it) called Sony to let them know that I was sending it in...... they informed me it was out of warranty...... even though I had already called this problem in before it was out of warranty.

Got power jack and attempted repair myself..... accidently and unknowingly seperated a capacitor on the mb..... ooops.

Took laptop to a local repair center..... they fixed it but couldnt get it to boot..... found this forum and called repair guy.... couple days later he had it booted ..... said memory was bad he put in 2 - 128 meg chips and it booted...... at repair shop i replaced my original memory and everything worked ...... puzzled look on repair guys face...... LOL

2 weeks later and power jack seperates again from mb..... this time I had service center wire jack externally..... made plexiglas bracket to hold powerjack in place.

1 month out and i start experiencing odd crashes....... ATI video drivers wont work anymore.... tried countless remidies....... memory loss also..... put shrink tubing under cover to cheat for a bit..... memory cover getting very hot...... system lock from overheating memory..... drilled 12 - 5/16 holes in memory cover for ventilation.

Lets see what happens next...... I think that I am going to try a fresh reinstall maybe some other software is causing the ATI problem.

Error on ATI is "infinite loop" and affected file is "ati2dvag"

David Kessler May 19, 2005, 10:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got my PCG-GRX560 back from Joe Kabalan (AQS Computer Services). So far so good. It's really nice to have the machine booting every time, running on 512Mb, not crashing if I move the machine... You get the picture.

When I got my system back, I opened the memory compartment and the memory modules fit firmly in the slots. I think it always used to be kind of floppy in the slots from the time I originally got the machine when I added the second 256Mb module. It's looseness made me scratch my head then. This is much more comforting.

I want to thank Joe publically. When I spoke with him, he had a great confidence-inspiring manner. He fixed my machine and had it back to FedEx promptly and the repair was very reasonably priced.

Thank you Joe. I really appreciate your help.

David Kessler

Denis Luzin May 20, 2005, 09:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Todd,

Your problems with ATI video caused by poor soldering of south bridge chip and overheating (motherboard bended a bit and soldering of the chip is broken now). You should find a repair shop that has BGA (re)soldering equipment.
I think Joe's and Tom's shops are performing such type of repair. Call them.

Regards,
Dennis

Joe K May 20, 2005, 11:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Frank,

"I'm not disputing the fact that the FX and GRX series are not clonal variants, My point is that the PCG line suffers from the same exact faults as the GRX model series. I'm currently waiting to hear from Sony's Legal team before I officially join the class action suit."

----> All the early Vaio models carry the PCG suffix. Only until about a year and a half ago the VGN series was released. All "PCG" (in essence all early Vaio models) do not suffer from overheating and solder bond failure.

"While I agree that they are not the same models I assure you I've scoured the net and threads in this post and the PCG-FX series manifested the same problems."

-----> I'm aware of the DIMM slot problem within the FX series. I don't believe it's related so much from heat as it is other factors with the assembly process of that motherboard.

"I have now aquired a Dell Inspiron 6000 and it has vents everwhere... bottom, top, sides etc... It contains the Pentium M 1.6 with 533mhz side bus with 2mg L2 cache. The air output from the fan is never hot. "

------> The additional vents on that Dell is not the reason it runs cool. The reason it runs cool is because it has a Centrino processor. We've recently discovered severe problems with many of the Dell Inspiron models that are damaged from excessive heat conditions. ALL the Inspiron models that have these problems are full P4 Mobile processors and not Centrino.

Also, your FX310 has a Celeron 900 MHZ CPU, that CPU runs extremely hot for some reason. I've replaced several burnt CPUs from the FX310 models. Of course I fully agree that your FX has a inadequate CPU cooling system (especially for that CPU).

"Your earlier posts said that the GRX line would die due to heat issues. Perhaps it was the Quiet Fan setting in the power management scheme that allowed ALL of the PCG's to overheat... either way, there are posts here that acknowledge that PCG-FX units have experienced the EXACT same failures as the PCG-GRX units."

-----> As it's been said before, heat will kill any laptop. Heat will kill the GRX. / GRV / GRZ / GRS models because they pull air in from the bottom. That in addition to the under-engineered and inadequate cooling system (thus requiring the fan to constantly run promoting shorter time for debris buildup) promotes the overheating I've mentioned throughout this thread. It's a domino effect with the GRX and like models I just mentioned. You see, just because it "seems" like a similar problem and the end result may be the SAME exact defect, it very well may come about or stem from a different source or root. Your FX DIMM slot problem is a manufacturing defect of the slot not being placed properly on the board.

"Joe, have you actually repaired any PCG-FX models ? I can fully acknowledge that the configurations are different but the undeniable fact is that ALL of the models we are talking about here are the PCG line."

-----> I've repaired several hundred complete FX series (Intel based) laptops and bare MBX-49 motherboards over the past 4 years.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.