Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 723 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:29am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Hanka Z May 23, 2005, 08:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi to all of you.

I am agreeing with Frank - Sony must to do something with product which they sell for high price without warning of this trouble! I send link to this forum to Sony USA and to Brussels. After it they stop correspondence with me. Only David from Sony Vaio Club of Europe wrote me, that always came some no happy customers.. UH!!!

I am ready to write an article about Sony Vaio product. It's not easy to ask a computer magazine, because Sony is for them good customer, who pay them a lot of money per year for advertisement.

I am not expert with replacing all theses thinks which you mention here!!! Why I have pay to high price for buying notebook as this and have more expenses with it all the time and finish only with original keyboard, display and cover? Ha???

Have a nice day,

Hanka

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ambar nair May 23, 2005, 10:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony VAIO clock speed discrepancies
Hello,
I have a strange problem. I live in India, but purchased a vaio PCG-K86P (with a gig of ram) in hong kong in december 2004, under the assurance given to me by the vendor that Sony Vaio india would cover the warranty. Now Sony India says they donít honor warranties for vaio's bought outside india, so I'm pretty screwed, as I have no idea when I'm going back to HK. Basically the vendor screwed me.
Firstly, my DVD burner died - it wont read CD's that are burned (will read some original CD's and original DVD's), and wont burn cd's or dvd's. Is there a replacement drive I can buy for that model? I donít know sony's internal part number, but nero says it's a pioneer drive.
Anywways, this is just one of the problems, I have an external dvd burner, so I can get by. Now the main problem is, that recently I noticed my comp was running slow, so I right click on My computer-properties, system info, general tab, the following is the issue: the first GHz reading says Intel Pentum 4 3.2 GHz, but the second reading below that fluctuates between the range of 1.5-2.1 GHz. a few times I even got 233 MHz (choke). And the machine slows down.
What do you think could be the problem?

Hanka Z May 23, 2005, 10:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Power to people!
Frank's link was about it... Please register and wrote there! I all ready gave the link to this phorum for them....

Consumer Fraud Cases

Hapner v. Sony Corporation-filed in 2005, Feldman is co-counsel with three other firms against Sony Corp. The suit seeks certification of a national class of purchasers of Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computers. The suit alleges that Sony violated various consumer protection laws when it manufactured and marketed its Sony Vaio series laptop computers. As alleged, these laptops all had a defective memory slot which causes the computer to malfunction. The suit is pending in Superior Court of California, San Diego County. If you purchased a Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computer and would like more information, please contact our firm.

http://leflaw.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op...AGE_id=276

David Kessler May 23, 2005, 12:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hanka,
I can't say anything about the magazines not publishing an article because Sony is a good advertiser, but I did have a similar experience a number of years ago.

I was the head reviewer for an annual review of C compilers for what was at the time a fairly major computer magazine, Computer Languages. There were a number of compilers that we reviewed and we were generally were able to say something good about each one. However, there was one compiler that was getting a lot of newsplay because of the professors who wrote it. I thought it was a really bad product with almost no redeeming qualities. I spoke with the magazine editors and told them that I was going to write a bad review and asked if they were going to have a problem with that. They told me that the company was going to be advertising with them but as long as I could support my claims and wrote a legitimate review (no personal attacks, etc) that I should go ahead.

While I can't say what the magazines you're thinking about would do, I offer the comments above for your consideration.

Actually though, I wonder if somebody like Joe and Tom could offer advice for someone (or perhaps write an article themselves) to write an article on the current state of laptop design--and poor designs leading to premature product failures.

Bad PR in places like PC Magazine could motivate companies to clean up their acts.
David

Tom Pappas May 23, 2005, 06:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> It is - and always has been - the Bleeding Edge (or: a person could get killed out there!)
Sony (and every other manufacturer I can think of) warrantees their products for a long enough period of time to make money on the design. As I said above, Sony has always been known as the envelope-pushers as far as packing functionality into their laptop design.

There is no free lunch.

If you want all the positive aspects of Sony ownership (latest and greatest and biggest and fastest everything), then you have to be prepared for the downside.

More conservative designs don't make as much money for their manufacturers, and Sony is driven, perhaps to an unreasonable degree (but that's not our call to make), by the profit motive. It's capitalism - the system the west defended against all comers for the past 60 years.

I used to have a picture over my desk of a covered wagon scene captioned "You can spot the pioneers in this picture - they're the ones with the arrows in their backs."

Tom

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

David Kessler May 23, 2005, 09:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tom,
I have to admit that I had no idea that Sony was pushing any envelope. The machine I bought (grx560) had a mobile processor. I had thought that would make for a processor that wouldn't cook the rest of the components. Pushing the envelope doesn't seem to me to explain why the memory modules should fit loosely from the date of purchase. Whatever envelope is being pushed, I would think that a user has a right to expect a couple or three years of trouble-free service. (I'd expect more from a desktop and I know that laptops are fragile so the life span might reasonably be a bit shorter.)

Perhaps I should have done more research, but I bought my computer in kind of a hurry as I was starting a job that was going to put me on the road a fair amount for 6 months. I had used 3 other laptop computers for varying amounts of time when I worked at a previous job. None of the people using the machines had hardware problems other than the damage from dropping or similar issues.

I'm sadder but wiser now--about the issues of laptops not caused by carelessness. But because of Joe's great work, I'm also happier than before. (Of course, had I been on the left coast instead of the right coast, I'd probably be saying that I am happier because of your great work.)

David

Frank Hudson May 25, 2005, 10:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 25, 2005, 11:24am EDT

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Sony is not going to do something about these issues unless they are forced to acknowledge their deception. Living with a work around ( like having only HALF the memory you paid for or an external DVD burner) or accepting that Sony's cutting edge technology comes at the price of diminished life of the product is JUST WHAT THEY WERE HOPING WOULD HAPPEN. Instead, some of us are pointing fingers and letting Sony know that what they've done is deceptive at the very least. I've read all sorts of technical issues on this thread from memory stick issues, to outright and complete failure of people's Vaios. If Sony had provided a reasonable repair option or simply acknowledged the issue and fixed the problem as apparently Joe Kabalan says is possible there would be NO NEED to jointly confront Sony's indifference. Mr Kabalan is capable of fixing most of these problems for a reasonable sum. That doesn't mean that even if you've had your laptop serviced you still have a right to complain. If you feel like seeking a resolution siding on the side of the consumer check out this link to the Firm handling the Class action suit.

Power to the People !!!

Hapner v. Sony Corporation

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For repairs costing alot less than Sony's quoted 1000 dollars contact :

Joe Kabalan
AQS Computer Services
2572 Sheridan Drive
Tonawanda, NY 14150

Toll Free: 1-866-204-4677
Local: 716-832-2473
Email: aqs12@adelphia.net

http://www.aqstech.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Power to the people !!!

Hapner v. Sony Corporation

PS: Anyone with slow functioning systems... were you using you modem when you had the problems and was the unit plugged into the outlet ?

Outraged Consumer :

Frank

Colin Hansen May 25, 2005, 09:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PCG-Z1A.

I had just fixed the AC adapter problem, and now it won't boot.

My case is different from most of the ones here because it only has one memory slot, which isn't working.

Thank god for this thread, though.

I won my computer from an online sweepstakes 3 years ago, and it's worked perfectly until this year.

I'd send my computer to Tom or Joe, but unfortunately, I'm an independent highschool student who has no money to spare. Until I scrape up the money, I'm without a computer for school.

I was impressed with the power of my laptop when I got it, but now I'm very dissapointed with sony. I'd join the class action lawsuit, but I don't think i'm a legal adult. I signed the petition anyways.

Hanka Z May 26, 2005, 06:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Boys!

I send all these important links and documents to Sony Czech and to office for Czech Customers Protection ;)

My faxmodem stop working after instaling XP SP2 :(

Still waiting for backlight lamp for display, after it frend of mine will reinstall Windows. It's strange, because in Bios it's not working external monitor, which I was using the last half year!!! Because I wasn't happy with offer from Sony fix this monitor - to buy new one!!!

I read this forum and trully, all theses syndroms which are written here about the GRX series meet me as well :(

Power to people!

Hanka

Hanka Z May 26, 2005, 06:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
PS. Please, where to signet the petition? I wrote only to leflaw.com.

Thanks to you all, thanks for activity to team of Martin Hapner !!!!

James Meko May 29, 2005, 08:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Re: Sony PCG-FX370

A friend brought me a Sony PCG-FX370 laptop that had lost it's operating system. It would power up, but not boot. I found that someone had deleted the HD partition. I removed the HD, hooked it up to my desktop via an adapter, undeleted the partition with Partition Magic and was able to retrieve his files. Then I replaced the little HD in the Sony, put everything back just like I found it, and now the Sony won't even turn on. I must have disconnected something, but what????

I tried re-seating the single 256MB memory chip and noticed that the 2 memory slots look different. Also, when I removed the HD, 1 screw was missing, so I was thinking someone has been into this computer before. My friend bought it used, so we have no idea of it's history. What about the dip switches? Could I possibly have accidently moved one while re-setting the speaker panel or keyboard? I found your forum on Google.

I have been into many laptops with no problems. I build desktops all the time, so I'm no fool. But this one has me stymied.

Tom Pettit
tocapet@charter.net

Carson Holzheimer May 30, 2005, 12:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's not only sonys. My acer 2001WLMi recently started doing the same (lights come one but nothing happens). It works sometimes. If I put it in the sun for a few minutes it works!! I haven't tried fiddling with the ram yet. But if anyone knows how to fix acers, please help. I'm not afraid to open it up as warranty has passed and I have the service manual.

Mynystry R May 30, 2005, 06:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everyone!

I guess i am in very deep trouble now. I am the unlucky owner of a sony GRX570. Just after the guarantie expired the screen stop working, and it only flashes for a while once in a while, specially when i used to start the computer. Later I also got the RAM problem, with the two slots, but i managed to make it work putting presure on the card in different ways. But after about 8 months using this silly tricks I guess my comeputer has probably come to the end...

Today I was working with the computer when suddenly the screen went blue, I tried to reboot but it appeared in the screen (an external monitor) that there was no operating system, i retried a couple of times and i got the same message,then i got nothing.

Now when I try to turn it on, there is no reaction in the external monitor, the cd-drive spins once, the light of the hard drive in on for a while, and the there is some strange noise that it seems also come from the harddrive, it doesn't sound very good, like if it could not turn properly or something...

I really hope i didn't lose all my data! does someone know what happened to my laptop???

thanks a lot for your help!!!

rodrigo

ps. if you know about someone able to "resurrect" sony notebooks in germany please let me know.

S K Jun 02, 2005, 02:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone know a repair person comparanble to Joe K, but located in or near Los Angeles, California?

Thanks in advance.

SK

Tom Pappas Jun 03, 2005, 10:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Define "near." ;-)
We're in Scottsdale, Arizona. We've fixed hundreds of Vaios with startup/shutdown problems.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

zahid ayar Jun 04, 2005, 05:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
had the same bootup problem. solution:

1. open laptop
2. remove bios battery connection
3. remove hard disk
4. boot (led should light up)
4. connect components back again and boot up (should work)

before i tried the solution, i took the laptop to 2 technicians but they didnt get it to boot. i tried the steps and now my laptop runs again :)

now i have a fan problem though. fan stopped running and the laptop is overheating...

Zahid Ayar

Hanka Z Jun 05, 2005, 06:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Now I am in the trouble. After changing the back light lamp the screen is just blue with one darker, 2 mm line going up from the bottom.:-(
What can I do it with it?

When I opened the part where are cables from main switches the flat cable going to reproductor was totaly broken. It was noisy before, as when you shuiting somebody. It was opened before only in service... We repair it and noise is gone and switch is working.

Thanks gays for your help

Hana

Paul Secret Jun 07, 2005, 04:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, is there anyone in the UK doing the equivelent repair to Joe K yet? Also, I know a few of you have had the repair done by Joe after shipping from the UK. Can someone tell me what the cost worked out to be including shipping?

Thanks

Paul

Joe K Jun 08, 2005, 01:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Paul,

I cannot tell you what it costs to ship from the UK to us, but from us back to the UK it runs about $69.00.

We've tried DHL, FedEx and UPS international methods (some are cheaper) and ALL hit us with Duty fees 30 days after the return shipment.

The easiest way to get around the duty fee problem is by using USPS International Express (3 - 5 day est delivery) which is trackable to an extent.

Hope this helps.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Mike Confidential Jun 09, 2005, 12:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
How does affect the new Sony Laptops? Does it affect the T150 or T250 Ultra Portable Vaios?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.