Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 654 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 07:21pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / AMD's AM2 socket, lowering performance?

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
SuPeR Xp Mar 16, 2006, 09:57pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
"but it is not very intelligent, to say "socket M2 sucks"

I agree with that. I mean the AM2 is not even out yet ;)

As for the Conroe, that is also not out yet. Either way, the Socket 939 is not meant to compete with the Conroe. We already know AMD's Socket 939 Single & Dual Core's along with there Socket 940 Opterons are the best in Price/Performance & run much cooler then anything Intel has to offer right now.

Let's see what happens when the speedy Conroe comes out. I think AMD has a reply on that when they are released. And these newer chips are supposed to fit in the AM2 interface.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
SuPeR Xp Mar 16, 2006, 10:00pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Pentium 1 Sucks
Pentium 2 Sucks
Duron Sucks
Celeron Sucks
Pentium 3 Sucks
Pentium 4 Sucks
Athlon Sucks
Athlon XP Sucks
Athlon 64 Sucks
Opteron Sucks
Xeon Sucks
G4 Sucks
G5 Sucks

What is wrong with this picture? It is completely stupid & nobody should be saying that they suck. One CPU is designed to perform better in some areas of computing then others. So, if anybody thinks the above is correct then they need a head exam "BIG TIME"

Enough of saying that something sucks, and if you insist, then PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A_Pickle Mar 17, 2006, 02:35am EST Report Abuse
>> 
No sir. The Conroe was at it's stock 2.66 GHz, meanwhile the FX-60 was at 2.8 GHz.

-Pikl

SuPeR Xp Mar 17, 2006, 03:12am EST Report Abuse
>> 
"No sir. The Conroe was at its stock 2.66 GHz, meanwhile the FX-60 was at 2.8 GHz."

R U referring to my comment in regards to the Socket 939 as being the fastest solution right now? If so, then I am right 100%, unless you can go out & purchase a Conroe CPU & benchmark it, then we can compare them right ;)

Radomir Jordanovic Mar 17, 2006, 03:36am EST Report Abuse
>> 
Point taken. I really would love to see AMD make a comeback some time tomorrow so that I can purchase my next processor for really cheap. Nevertheless, I'm going to order a new AMD Socket 939 processor either today or tomorrow. Such a shame I can't buy processors for dirt cheap. Do any of you know any Asian hardware smugglers?

Silverstone 750W, Asus P5KC, C2 Q6600, 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600
ATI HD 4850 512MB, 1TB Caviar. 1TB Seagate
SuPeR Xp Mar 17, 2006, 04:04pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
LOL,

AMD has not been defeted yet LOL, I would like to see retail benchmarks first B4 everybody assumes defeat. This is way pre-mature right now.

And there is nothing wrong with Intel giving us a taste of what is to come. P.S. they were caught buying several 800 series Opteron CPU's last year ;) I wonder WHY?

Source: The Inquirer, Xbit Labs, The Register, Tech PowerUP, Anatech etc.

A_Pickle Mar 17, 2006, 04:09pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Eh, they probably bought some Opterons for a good laugh. See how badly Woodcrest wastes 'em. :)

-Pikl

SuPeR Xp Mar 17, 2006, 05:40pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
"Eh, they probably bought some Opterons for a good laugh. See how badly Woodcrest wastes 'em."

No, LOL I was thinking more on the lines of "Quick guys, take these Opterons appart & see why they are so freaking faster then our CPU's ;)

Take Care,

A_Pickle Mar 20, 2006, 11:15am EST Report Abuse
>> 
No, uh, I'm pretty sure it was for a good laugh. Core architecture has little in common with the K8, other than a short pipeline... and uh... 64-bit extensions... other than that, they're radically different. So much as you might like, Core isn't a dismantled, Intel-ized Opteron. :)

-Pikl

Radomir Jordanovic Mar 20, 2006, 12:02pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Come on, pickle. There's no way Intel would only plan to take the Opteron core design into its own plans and nothing else. With millions and millions of transistors and such on each processor today, there are probably many more aspects to be researched than just pipelines, 64-bit/32-bit architectures, and the rest of that snazzy marketing talk. AMD did a lot of things right with the Opterons, and I'm sure Intel had a few good reasons to buy a lot of them. After all, they are the manufacturers of billions of chips all around the world and not just people familiar with current terminology.

A_Pickle Mar 20, 2006, 12:40pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Oh, I'm aware of that. K8 is a great chip, and I'm positive they didn't disassemble any chip but the Pentium M to design the Core series. I was just replying to the chap above me. :)

-Pikl

SombaSan Mar 20, 2006, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
>>M2 is not even out yet<<

this is what I'm saying, i'm not commenting at all until both companies products hit the selves.

Without getting technicle. No one company would develop somthing slower than there previous gen.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM
"The Best Intel Chip is an AMD"
Radomir Jordanovic Mar 20, 2006, 12:51pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
Thanks for understanding, Pickle.

SuPeR Xp Mar 20, 2006, 01:08pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
It looks like the AM2 won't be Conroe's competator. The AM2 will be out way before the Conroe, but things can change though ;)

A_Pickle Mar 20, 2006, 01:56pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
I don't think AM2 will be Conroe's competitor. It just won't. AM2's performance has impressed few people as of late, and there are now THREE reviews out there showing that AM2's numbers are just slightly below those of Socket 939. There's nothing wrong with that -- for all intents and purposes, Socket AM2 performs just like Socket 939, but thanks to DDR2, overall system power consumption is reduced, so it's an overall gain. It just really won't be a super gain in performance.

I'd have to say I expect Conroe to take the lead this year, and I expect to see some Conroe systems debuting on Hardware Analysis come July. That said, I think K8L is going to be a pretty good performer. We'll just have to see about that one, though, because there's no telling what performance it has other than, "a lot of floating point."

Sources - AM2 Benchmarks:
http://tinyurl.com/r4drh
http://tinyurl.com/my3ak <-- (Note the Core Duos versus the Turion 64 X2s :))
http://tinyurl.com/rxke3 <-- (THG, if you hate it, don't waste your time.)

-Pikl

Everett Williams Mar 20, 2006, 07:07pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
To keep the monstrous pipelines filled and trying to prevent the guaranteed stalls, Intel has always been better at L2 and L3 cache and at branch prediction. They've always had the money to get to smaller parts quicker, so that they can throw on all that cache to match the performance of the thoughtfully designed, but less flashy AMD parts. Now, when cache coherence is so critical to the performance of MP units, that experience will give them a short term advantage. With the basic advantage of HT and a little practice, they will soon catch up. The problem is that each such slip costs them market share, and we as a community cannot afford to have them drop out of the game. The duopoly is alive for the moment, but staying in a game this expensive is going to require more external support for AMD. I believe that in the long run, IBM will have to absorb AMD to keep it and competition itself alive. The market will not do well with a real monopoly. With the huge cost of entry to the market, change will slow radically. Intel would have the luxury of only producing major advances when it meets their pocketbook needs. Ugh.

Julian Innerhofer Mar 20, 2006, 10:27pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
"I don't think AM2 will be Conroe's competitor. It just won't. AM2's performance has impressed few people as of late, and there are now THREE reviews out there showing that AM2's numbers are just slightly below those of Socket 939. There's nothing wrong with that -- for all intents and purposes, Socket AM2 performs just like Socket 939, but thanks to DDR2, overall system power consumption is reduced, so it's an overall gain. It just really won't be a super gain in performance.

I'd have to say I expect Conroe to take the lead this year, and I expect to see some Conroe systems debuting on Hardware Analysis come July. That said, I think K8L is going to be a pretty good performer. We'll just have to see about that one, though, because there's no telling what performance it has other than, "a lot of floating point.""

If K8L will b a competitor to Conroe, than Socket AM2 will als be a competitor, because K8L will also run on AM2.

A_Pickle Mar 20, 2006, 10:32pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
That doesn't mean anything. AM2 is little more than a memory change -- it's still the same K8 core which got trounced at Intel Developer Forum. K8L is not a "mere" memory change -- it involves various microarchitectural changes (namely, the addition of some floating point units) which should add some serious performance.

-Pikl

Julian Innerhofer Mar 20, 2006, 10:38pm EST Report Abuse
>> 
"That doesn't mean anything. AM2 is little more than a memory change -- it's still the same K8 core which got trounced at Intel Developer Forum. K8L is not a "mere" memory change -- it involves various microarchitectural changes (namely, the addition of some floating point units) which should add some serious performance.

-Pikl"

But this doesnt change anything about the fact, that this AMD guy said, that it will also be for Socket AM2.

SuPeR Xp Mar 21, 2006, 12:05am EST Report Abuse
>> 

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.