Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1137 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:15pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Adam Southall May 10, 2004, 10:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
I've been having this problem for quite a while, only when I'm running p2p applications, such as Shareaza, or I'm running bittorrents.

Microsoft's site only seems to have fixes for Windows NT, 2000 and it's Server 2003 operating systems. I can't seem to find anything relevant or helpful about this issue in regards to XP on Microsoft's site.

Updating to SP2 didn't solve the problem, nor has updating any relevant drivers (motherboard, ethernet etc). It is probably something to do with uploading/downloading, I don't believe it's anything to do with my modem, or network card since it's only something that's been happening since my last format (early April).

Even playing around and tweaking my services hasn't solved this problem (using http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm). I'm pretty much stumped.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Owen Skarpness May 13, 2004, 11:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Check this one out:

I get random reboots on my computer. They aren't
entirely random, however, because at times they are
more likely to happen than others. For example: upon
loading a map in the game Call of Duty, approx. 30% of
the time the computer will reboot. However, there are
other times that it may reboot that are more
unpredictable. After turning off automatic reboots by
right clicking my computer, going to properties,
advanced tab, and then startup and recovery settings
and unchecking the automatically restart box, I began
to encounter different kinds of errors, but at
relitively simmilar intervals. The oft mentioned "blue
screen of death" would appear and notify my of one of
several different errors. One went along the lines
"PNF list corrupt" or "IRQL not less or equal." Other
errors included things such as memory error or
something to that effect. This all would be followed
by some other text and then "dumping physical memory."
After this I would simply have to reboot myself to get
it to run agian. I have recently re-installed windows
xp and am using a recently changed AMD anthalon 2200+
1.8 ghz chip, 512 mb of DDR ram, and a RADEON 9600XT.
I have also recently replaced, along with the cpu and
ram, the motherboard and power supply. This was done
AFTER the problem had become so bad on my older chip
that I was forced to take it to Comp USA for reparis,
which, apparently, they have not done a very good job
with. Sure they added a few upgrades and fixed several
other problems, but the random reboot problem was only
alliviated a bit, not solved like other things wrong
with it. I have windows updated to the fullest extent
and DO NOT have any viruses whatsoever, having Norton
2004 and all the recent updates for that as well. I
also have the latest Catalyst drivers directly from
the AMD site. These problems have been occuring for
nearly a half year now and have only improved when the
majority of the computer was replaced. This problem is
also not entirely unheard of as I have seen it before
somewhere on these forums and for some reason I simply
can not find again. The forrums suggested that the
problem was driver related and the windows error
message tells me relitively the same thing. There was
one person on another forum who suggested turning off
automatic rebooting which I did of course, but then
afterwards asked for the Minidump files that contained
the error report so that he may look through them and
find the faulty driver, mentioning that that
information was contained within these files. If
ANYONE has ANY suggestion on what to do about this it
would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thank you for your concern.
-Owen S.

Wael Foad Kahla Jun 30, 2004, 09:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
please if any one have a soloution for this daaaam blue screeeen post the soloution becuase i had it with my

DSL 200 DLINK usb modems and i hope it work becuase i try everythings i have but nothing happen,

it happens when i start Torrent Topia

Owen Skarpness Jun 30, 2004, 05:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 30, 2004, 05:15pm EDT

Ok look. As I scan through these forums it becomes apparent to me that the whole issue is caused by some sort of incompatability. I suggest to all of you to simly try changing little settings every here and there and seeing what happens. It could be with Norton, could be with you video card, your ram, or a combination of any of these things. My suggestion to you is to simply tweak what you have. If you fix your problem, post it here as it might well help many of the people who have already posted here.

ANdy booth Jul 06, 2004, 12:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Right, the problem is when I use some file sharing programs, such as Shareaza and Bittorrent, I get the dreaded blue screen, I get a message, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. The problem is apparently with ndis.sys. After scouring the internet, I found that this may be something to do with IRQ's so I checked them out and they are conflicting (check the screen shot at http://www.thedemons.net/uploads/twisted/irq.jpg). What can I do to solve this problem?
Thanks

Andy Booth

Pim O Aug 06, 2004, 09:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello,

I had the same problem last year (always in the summer..!?). I fixed it then by just installing another (older) videodriver for my nvidia geforce 4 card. This (older) driver was 'approved' by microsoft (WHQL Certified) and it seem to work until a week or so ago. Last week i got the same error as last year IRQL_LESS...
I went to the nvidia sit and i found out that my current videodriver was not WHQL Certified (nvidia has upgraded itself i think). Now i installed an older driver again and still no error... Maybe it's a solution, i don't know but at least it's worth trying,

good luck Pim

dubel darr Oct 15, 2004, 02:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi people

i get the same message after about 3/4 out in the installation process of the win xp opgrade... the sad thing is that i don't have any possibility to find out what drivers is conflicting. The reason for that is that when i go to safe modus at startup the pc still want to upgrade and don't allow me access to the present win xp which is running... and instantly restarts. does any of you have any advice how i can resolve this issue....?

thanx in advance for all help

Tom Roucek Oct 15, 2004, 11:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
System:
Dual P4 Xeon 2.2 Hyperthreading
1gb PC800 RDRAM
100GB Ultra 160 hard drives(3)
Gforce fx 5900

I Have had this same problem(playing MOH,COD) before and posted my sollution, but doesnt mean it works for everyone. Also I reformatted last week and the problem came back until I fixed it again. My solution was to update my Intel chipset drivers, appearently the ones that come with windows xp dont get along with my system! Fixed the problem again :). I hope this helps, by the way I recomend getting the update directly from the chip maker if you can, some times motherboard makers dont have the updated drivers on their site. Used to have this problem on the last pc I built too and this also fixed it!

Also if you are having IRQ conflicts, unfourtionately XP doesnt let you change the IRQ settings, some motherboards bios might, but xp will probably overide it anyway. The only thing that might work is switch card slots or change usb ports, sometimes this helps!

Tom

Denver Land Nov 08, 2004, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The issue is an IRQ conflict between something and the NIC. My problem was a conflict between an SB Live! sound card and the NIC. Allow WinXP to report the problem, and immediately an IE page will open, describing the problem, usually with a link to a webpage created by the offending device. This link should take you to a page where you can download a patch to resolve the problem.
A lot of people think the built in error reprting in Windows is a pain, but if you allow it to report, and it is a common problem, chances are it will give you the fix.
Bill Gates did SOMETHING right!

Hugo Rodriguez Dec 04, 2004, 07:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
love a lot karel.... just clicking the default cmos values.... u' are a genious!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry becaus of my english... i'm from Argentina. see you

Karel Holfeuer Dec 04, 2004, 09:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re:
Hi

Karel Holfeuer Dec 04, 2004, 09:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry guys. I don't know why my posting shows Hi but there was more. Anyway, if I can help with any errors, feel free to email me at kholfeuer@hotmail.com . Merry Christmas and Happy, error-free, New Year 2005.

Karel

James Caldwell Dec 19, 2004, 11:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 19, 2004, 11:51am EST

Sorry for reopening this topic but it's for a good cause. I had this problem a while back when I updated my graphics drivers, I have a nVidia GeForce 4 by the way. I noticed that the drivers weren't confirmed to be compatible with Windows, but I installed anyway, then in the space of like 5-10 mins I would get a blue screen with IRQL.... So after this happening a handful of times I decided to uninstall the drivers(I will show you how I did) then reboot, then, of course, Windows reinstalled the drivers automatically, but... no blue screens.... ever. I'm not sure if this is the exact solution, but I hope it is as ALOT of you have this problem.

Here's how I uninstalled the drivers:
Right-click "My Computer" then choose properties.
Goto the "Hardware" tab.
Click the "Device Manager" button.
In "Device Manager" find you graphics card under "Display adapters".
Right-click your graphics card and choose properties.
In the new dialog goto the "Driver" tab.
Click the "Uninstall Button".
Any messages that appear just agree with them.
Reboot, and hopefully there will be no more blue screens.

Please let me know if this is a solution.

Thanks and good luck!

-James Caldwell

Paul Wateson Dec 29, 2004, 10:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Finally got Fix :)
I had this problem for about a month, had no problems while playing games like some, however desktop was constantly crashing. Like many pointed out i had shared IRQs, mainly IRQ 5 sharing about 4 devices.
Tried everything from formatting to driver updates. Finally fixed it by updating motherboard, nice and easy stuck motherboard CD in PC. It had an auto update which was great and the fix has rearranged the IRQs so they are not all grouped. Hope this helps someone, and sorry if i have double posted

steve m Jan 07, 2005, 01:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Let's get the definitive answer out in the open.

By definition, this message is ALWAYS caused by a network driver/windows mismatch. Whether you think the fault is with the driver or with Windows is immaterial. As far as Windows is concerned it is always the driver which is at fault.

It occurs when the driver attempts an unauthorized call to the NDIS (Network Driver Interface Specification) implementation in Windows. Authorization is dependent upon the context in which the driver process is running - known as its IRQ Level (IRQL).

This has nothing to do with its IRQ number.

There are three levels available to the driver:

PASSIVE - lowest priority, largest list of authorized routines
DISPATCH - higher priority, smaller list
DIRQL - highest priority, smallest list. Basically no NDIS subroutines are available here. The driver runs only its own interrupt service routines at this level.

To make NDIS calls, the driver must be running at a priority level lower than or equal to the context in which the called routine is designed to run. It is possible (and necessary) for the driver software to dynamically set this level as appropriate before issuing the call. If it does not, you get the error.

Windows-certified drivers should not cause this problem. In general, and if possible, let Windows detect and install its own drivers for whatever device you are installing rather than use the proprietary drivers it came with and you shouldn't have the problem - assuming you have a network connection so that windows can check the most current list of drivers for your OS. Windows update also checks for the latest drivers - but if your device is working fine it is not always advisable to install them.

Some devices and software are simply incompatible with certain versions of Windows - particularly network-capable video games and devices designed for previous Windows versions (or just badly written software!). This is simply a fact we must all live with.

Here is MSFT's brief explanation:

" IRQLs:
Every driver function called by NDIS runs at a system-determined IRQL, one of PASSIVE_LEVEL < DISPATCH_LEVEL < DIRQL. For example, a miniport driver's initialization function, halt function, reset function, and sometimes the shutdown function commonly run at PASSIVE_LEVEL. Interrupt code runs at DIRQL, so an NDIS intermediate or protocol driver never runs at DIRQL. All other NDIS driver functions run at IRQL <= DISPATCH_LEVEL.

The IRQL at which a driver function runs affects which NDIS functions it can call. Certain functions can only be called at IRQL = PASSIVE_LEVEL. Others can be called at DISPATCH_LEVEL or lower. A driver writer should check every NDIS function for IRQL restrictions.

Any driver function that shares resources with the driver's ISR must be able to raise its IRQL to DIRQL to prevent race conditions. NDIS provides such a mechanism.

"

Owen Skarpness Jan 07, 2005, 05:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
^^^^most useful post to date. thanks, man. i'm still getting the error, but at least i understand it better now. i'm still trying to switch out a few more of my drivers....

David Thegnnome Jan 17, 2005, 02:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got the solution for all you nvidia video card users. It IS your video drivers that's causing the problem. Find a copy of the driver version 6.14.10.6177 works fine. I know this because i have 2 computers i built and have identical hardware/software. I reinstalled / formatted after getting a virus on one of them. I updated all drivers including the nvidia driver. Bam! IRQL error. But the other one never gets that error. So i reinstalled the drivers that are working fine for the other computer and irql error is gone. How to do this properly:

Find the drivers i listed above and install them to your hard drive in an easy to find spot such as c:\nvidia6177
Always put the driver name in the folder name since you may have another nvidia folder.

1. Start > control panel > system > > hardware > Device manager > display adapters > nvidia(insert cardnamehere)

2. Right click and select uninstall

3. restart

4. when it finds your card, chose the i will select drivers option and browse to wherever you installed the 6177 drivers.

5. click throught the folders until you get to the nvmini file

6. slect them and let em install

7. restart and hopefully it's fixed

Once again, this has only worked for me so far so try it yourself it's worth a try. I'm sure this problem can be caused by many other things so just mess around with your drivers until it works.

r p Jan 22, 2005, 08:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have done a few of the recomendations I have read in these forums, nothing seem to work. The only way I have found to keep from getting the blue screen is to run my Divx player, any movie will work. Suggestions?

Long Hoang Jan 26, 2005, 05:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got the same problem... but there is something interesting, whenever i maximize the processor cooler, the blue screen doesnt appear, but if i forgot to do that, it will definitely show up during the game.
this stupid problem seem to be very common with Nvidia VGA, next time i wont use this stupid crappy card anymore, gonna try ATI...

Yi-Jie Kuan Feb 20, 2005, 01:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys , I have this error and a blue screen appears when I am trying to reinstall windows XP. I reinstall it because windows keeps restarting. I never get to fix it. I have taken out all devices from the PCI slots and the error is still there. Now the motherboard is left with an ATI Radeon that I just bought on its AGP slot and that's it (plus 2 HDD and 2 CDROM) . So what is wrong ?

Thanks .

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.