Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1416 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 12:03pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Yavor M Mar 24, 2005, 11:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
Having the same problem, I did a google search and found this page. Interesting that it hasn't been resolved in 9 pages of posts...

Anyway, I don't think the problem is in the video card necessarily. In fact, it may turn out not to be in the network card either. I am not sure about this, but most of the computers here are AMDs (including mine), so does that make it an AMD-only problem?

I only got this error for the first time after I uninstalled Norton System Works 2005 and installed F-Prot antivirus and Outpost Firewall. Another thing I noticed is that Norton software is usually present in the people that have the problems.

I run my Apache server and last time I got the error was when I typed in localhost in the browser. I have no clue why, except that it might be the firewall doing something weird. Anyway, hope someone comes up with a solution that works for all of us :D

My specs:
AMD 2200+ Thoroughbred
MSI ATI Radeon 9250
512 MB DDR-333
Soltek SL-75DRV5
Windows XP MCE SP2

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dalby Holly Mar 24, 2005, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys,

Listen, you need to rollback on your modem drivers , not update, but rollback..

Dalby Holly Mar 24, 2005, 02:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 24, 2005, 02:05pm EST

sorry, posted twice

PyrollisAhFiros Mar 29, 2005, 02:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, I have been reading all of the posts and haven't really found any that is related to what I'm doing except for some of these that has been using a P2P software.

My problem occurs every time I use BitTorrent (downloading Linux ISOs) and Shareaza (the computer constantly freezes up till I close Shareaza and then after a while, the computer would go back to normal)

I'm using:

64MB Asus GeForce4 Ti4200
MSI KT3 Ultra2 Mobo with VIA chipset
AMD Athlon 2100+ (1.733 GHz)
2x256 MB Crucial PC2100/DDR266
1x512 MB Crucial PC2100/DRR266
Several fans
1xDVD-ROM LiteOn 16x
1xCD-RW Liteon 40x16x16 (not sure of the RxWxRW specification)

Anything else I should include in my build?

Again, this appears every time I am using BitTorrent (constantly!) or freezes up while using Shareaza (haven't tried any other programs as I heard some other contain spywares and some other stuff).

Although I did see some posts mentioning about the RAM, My 2x256 is in the first two slots and the last slot is holding the 512 MB... I think maybe it is because of the RAM placement, the 512MB should have gone into the first bank and the rest into the remaining banks? I'm not even sure if it's the memory issue that's causing the NDIS.sys issue to appear... I think it's completely apart from each other but if somehow, by freak twist, it is related, please help me reach a solution. Thanks in advance!

Adam J Apr 01, 2005, 01:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For the last post, make sure you have updated NIC drivers. If you let Windows find it then that is bad! Check the actual manufacturer for a driver. Windows can't even manage its own registry let alone find a good driver for someone.

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
2x512 DDR2-800 Corsair XMS
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
400GB SATA2 Seagate 7200.10
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

Apple iMac Core 2 Duo 2Ghz 2GB Ram
Dalby Holly Apr 01, 2005, 04:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's the modem drivers, not the NIC, not the RAM, not anything else.
Updating or downgrading the NIC drivers will or may help you for a while, but strees the line with BT or P2P networking, and I gaurantee NDIS.sys will be back. Fix the modem drivers.

I bet no ones drivers are XP certified?

If you dont't believe me, debug the dumps, I bet it comes up with relations to your modem.

Yavor M Apr 01, 2005, 05:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, OK. I suppose it can easily be the modem drivers, but the Win XP certified driver does not provide voice for my modem and i use it as a fax machine. I checked the website for my AOpen 56-SVV modem and couldn't find any newer version than the one provided with my CD.

BTW, I haven't seen the error in quite a while, since I got rid of Norton and installed Outpost actually.

Tim N Apr 04, 2005, 05:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been recieving this kind of error message every time I shut down my PC at night for a fair few months now, and until coming across this thread neither understood the error or could figure out a way to stop it appearing. My system configuration follows below, but for reference I am using 3 of the 4 on-board USB ports, and then running a 4-port USB Hub from the 4th, which has only one device connected.

This error is really annoying me now, as I can no longer leave my PC to shut down itself, I have to be there to press the power button, as after the error appears it freezes there, and on startup the next time my "system has recovered from a serious error... would [I] like to report the problem to Microsoft"...

Regards.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (Not overclocked)
AsRock K7S8XE Motherboard (AMIBIOS V1.00) (with onboard 5.1 sound (all 5.1-ness used here) and networking - though the networking isn't used any more)
768MB RAM (could it be a problem with me having cheapo RAM installed?)

NVidia GeForceFX 5200, 128MB on-board

Any ideas, anyone?

Luke Williams Apr 06, 2005, 09:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I cracked it everybody,
I found that everyone that had the same problem was running norton antivirus so i replaced it with AVG and the problem has gone.

Tim N Apr 06, 2005, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry, but I've not got Norton installed and never have had it on! I've always ran AVG so my problem's still getting nowhere!

Adam J Apr 06, 2005, 01:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What videocard and drivers are you using? I got this ndis.sys error only when I installed the newest Nvidia drivers. The ones released before that were ungodly slow and poor. So I had to keep download beta runs from Guru3d. Give that a try. Make sure you remove the driver entirely using a program called Detonator RIP. This just goes to prove that Nvidia has the worst video drivers. Therefore, I will stick with ATI from now on.

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

Yavor M Apr 07, 2005, 06:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
nVidia the worst drivers? I don't think so. I had a good ol' GeForce 4 before and was extremely happy with it and all the software functionality. But I bought an ATI Radeon 9200 just out of curiosity and the drivers are nowhere near as good. Plus, TV Tool only works for nVidia.

Anyway, I don't think it's the video, cause I have an ATI card and still had the problem. It usually happens to me when my network load becomes too high (over 15% utilization in task manager).

Adam J Apr 07, 2005, 01:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You went to your NIC's site and downloaded their drivers, right? You don't want to use the windowsupdate drivers. They cannot handle large loads such as Torrents!

Antec Nine-Hundred
OCZ Modstream 450w
Gigabyte 965P-S3
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83Ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer
Audigy 2 ZS

scott fleming Apr 19, 2005, 04:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem Fixed.

I had the same problem blue screen of death.
It would happen when playing soldier of fortune, p2p with torrents or converting xvid to dvd with power producer.

First thing that worked was by disabling hyper threading in the bios.
It worked but i wasnt happy. I wanted hyper threading so i continued to change things including drivers.

What I did to fix the problem is" in the bios"
GO TO Advanced Bios Features Menu
APIC ACPI SCI IRQ
I changed this Value to disabled

This is for my MSI motherboard. It has worked for me, Hope it helps
MSI 865pe Neo2-p
P4 Prescott 3.0ghz HT
1024MB
2x sata HD
2x IDE HD
Ati 9550
XP Pro sp2
450W PSU

PCP777 Apr 19, 2005, 05:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There are so many forums discussing this I didn't know where to post. Since I have a MSI mobo I'm going to try what the guy in the last message said....but in case that doesn't work....
This problem is HUGE! There are pages filled with alot of thought and good sounding thoeries yet still I have yet to see the SOLUTION, which is a bummer, because it's happening to me, and it's DRAINING MY WILL TO LIVE!
Typically my BSOD will manifest as I play Battlefield 1942 on line, sometimes it just happens randomely when nothings going on, though usually it seems to be triggered by a system resource intensive event. What's wierd is that I'll be playing BF1942 on line, in the middle of battle and suddenly I get the BSOD along with what sounds like loop clip of the last audio from the game before I got kicked from the server-It'll actually carry on like a loop track for a few minutes, about a 3 second loop of sound cycling over and over as the BSOD stares at me. I'm suspicious of the Creative driver software for the soundcard, which is sharing an IRQ with the VIA on board LAN. I don't know if that's a clue or not.

Other times the game will just hang and kick me to the desktop. It tells me I had a fault with the game.I also get the BSOD when I'm not on the game, so it's not EA's fault. I don't have a clue what they're trying to tell me on the windows site, it couldn't be them right? They say it's my drivers, next time it's my memory etc. I usually get the simple "IRQ not less or equal", sometimes I get DIRQ or Driver IRQ" I'll be told that "A thread got stuck' from the NVIDIA driver, other times the VIA and the sound card are listed in the dump reports.

I'm running DSL through the LAN card to a hub.

I've got to get this FIXED as I went and dropped some coin on my first decent machine and everything is great until I get the BSOD.Here's way too much info on the system, hopefully someone might be able to desseminate a solution..

3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz HT
FSB: : 4x 201MHz (804MHz data rate)
1GB DDR-SDRAM Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)
MSI PT880 Neo (MSI MS-7043)
American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T
VIA Technologies Inc PT880 CPU to PCI Bridge
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP 8X 128MB DDR
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamers
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Saitek Gamers' Keyboard (USB/HID)
ASUS CD-S520/A (CD 52X Rd)
ATAPI DVD+RW 4X4X12 (CD 40X Rd, 16X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd)
LAN : VIA Networking Velocity-Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter
Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
450watt powers supply

I've renstalled XP Pro 3 times and have eliminated any of the service packs or windows updates as the culprit. The second install I replicated the problem with just a basic install with no updates and drivers all from the manufacturer's disks. I've updated the VIA chipset both from VIAarena and MSI's site, got all the latest drivers on the soundcard and I have had trouble using the latest NVIDIA drivers, I wasn't getting rid of the old drivers as has been noted in this forum, took care of that last night , got a clean install on and things were going well when all of a sudden BSOD!! So I've eliminated the "WRONG" NVIDIA , VIA and Creative drivers asd I've replicated the problem with both the old and the new driver sets.

So it's time to go into the case, I feel like I've tried everything short of moving hardware around. I think it's the VIA LAN and the SB sound card. I do have the ability to assign 5 IRQs in the BIOs but I read in this forum that XP will just reassign them anyway. Is there any merit to moving the sound card to a different PCI slot? I truly hope it's not the memory, I don't have a floppy drive so I haven't been able to do the mem test. I don't over clock and the machines only a few months old. Any advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
scott fleming Apr 21, 2005, 03:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Problem Fixed.

I had the same problem blue screen of death.
It would happen when playing soldier of fortune, p2p with torrents or converting xvid to dvd with power producer.

First thing that worked was by disabling hyper threading in the bios.
It worked but i wasnt happy. I wanted hyper threading so i continued to change things including drivers.

What I did to fix the problem is" in the bios"
GO TO Advanced Bios Features Menu
APIC ACPI SCI IRQ
I changed this Value to disabled

This is for my MSI motherboard. It has worked for me, Hope it helps
MSI 865pe Neo2-p
P4 Prescott 3.0ghz HT
1024MB
2x sata HD
2x IDE HD
Ati 9550
XP Pro sp2
450W PSU

Yavor M Apr 21, 2005, 07:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK, so to restate from the 10 pages of posts. The previous probable solutions were
- Updating the modem drivers to manufacturer's latest. - Didn't work, but I feel should be done anyway
- Updating the NIC drivers. (network card drivers) - didn't work, but recommended
- Leaving default modem drivers - didn't work - not recommended.
- Fixing IRQ issues through BIOS. Most logical thing, since the problem is IRQL not less or equal...

So I suggest going to Device Manager, check the IRQs of all the devices, make sure there are no conflicts. Go to BIOS advanced settings and check the IRQs again. I am not sure how exactly they should be configured, but this would be my best guess...

Anyway - did someone actually tried contacting Microsoft for this? It sure is a problem with Windows itself as 100s if not 1000s of people with different hardware, but all have Win XP or SP1 or SP2.

The problem for me occured ONLY when using Outpost Firewall and trying to go to LOCALHOST on my server (yes, my pc is an apache/php/mysql server). I don't use this software anymore and haven't had the problem in a long time, but am anxious to know the cause and possibly the solution :D

Jay H Apr 29, 2005, 06:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been having the same problem lately.
p4 3.2 1mb level 2 cache Prescott
1.75 gb memory
msi pt 880 mobo
creative 24bit sound
nvidia fx 5500 256mb
1 wd 250gb
1 wd 120gb
ati tv tuner
mx 700 dou
mx 510
and systems keeps rebooting. sometimes the systems give me different messages most times it's the same. I need help lol

PCP777 Apr 29, 2005, 07:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Potential Solution?

It's been several days since I had a BSOD. Here's what I've done, not sure what has made the difference

Disabled Hyperthreading-Didn't work
Rearranged IRQs in Bios-Didn't work
Updated all drivers=Didn't work
Installed new NIC 10/100 and disbabled onboard LAN-Seemed to help but I still had BSODs
Updated all drivers
Flashed Bios

Installed only up to date drivers , didn't use OEM driver CDs that came with original hardware
Moved Audigy card from 2nd to 5th PCI slot
Traded RAM slots
Noted that IRQs had changed assignments
Clean install XP Pro and updated to SP1 only-
Installed Creative Beta Audigy driver from Hardware update without all the extras
Updated Nvidia to 71.22 ( Have graphics problems with 71.89)
Updated DX9.0B, then C
Updated Via chipset to 4-1 (4.55)
Disabled onboard LAN
Installed BF1942 and Desert Combat

OK, so far so good, haven't had a BSOD in 3 days, although I still get incidental kicks to desktop on BF1942. Nothing appears in the event log, have a feeling it's something to do with Zone Alarm and Punkbuster.

Hoping this lasts....crossing fingers
Debating adding SP2....

Not sure what's making the difference-but enjoying it so far....

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
albert hofmann May 15, 2005, 09:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i got this error "driver irql not less or equal" suddenly one morning without me changing anything on the workstation. error happenend during startup of windows.

after 5 hours of changing components and BIOS experiments i found the error:
the onboard LAN adapter was broken.
after disabling it i could start windows again.

hope this helps someone.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.