Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1159 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 10:47pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Joseph Worsnip May 23, 2005, 12:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
Right i have had this problem for about a month now, tried everything suggested and more. Updated every driver.........It started when i added a raid controller card, think this has pushed the ide controller onto another number. Heres my conflict data:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 20 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

IRQ 21 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
IRQ 21 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Controller
IRQ 21 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xE9FFFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xE8000000-0xE9FFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xD0000000-0xDFFFFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA nForce2 AGP Host to PCI Bridge
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600

I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000DFFF PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
I/O Port 0x0000C000-0x0000DFFF Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARaid Controller

I really need help, i have been unable to contact microsoft for any help.
It occurs when playing video (any format), games (any) and just randomly sometimes for good measure......
......please help
Joe

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
PCP777 May 23, 2005, 03:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Some ideas that may help you limit but not eliminate this issue, Many of the ideas came from this forum and others and I can't say which ones are actually valid and making an impact but they've seemed to help me greatly reduce the frequency of the IRQ less BSOD. ....

First, rearrange-Since XP won't let you reassign IRQs, you can physically rearrange all your additonal PCI cards like your sound card etc. Twice this seems to have helped. Additionally I was able to do some additional shuffling using my bios setting, the objective is to reduce as many IRQ shares as possible , if there are 2 devices using one IRQ use the Bios to reassign remaining shared IRQs, look to move resources to vacant and lesser used lower IRQ spaces..Watch out for "hidden" shares, on my MSI mobo, the AGP adapter shares with PCI slot 5, so you want to limit that as much as possible by consulting your Mobo hand book. The Nvidia and

It looks like you have a built in LAN card, test disabling it in your bios and and using a PCI ethernet card for your network/ internet access, when I traded my on board VIA 1GB family ethernet with a PCI lan Realtek 10/100 pci card, I almost went 3 weeks without the BSOD issue....

Once you've IDed what you will use and what you can live without you can try disabling all devices that you're not using like Floppy drive, Printer ports, onboard sound, onbaord LAN, VGA modem etc. Look for any things you can dump in order to free up as much of these shares. Beware allowing Sound cards, LAN or VGA cards sharing any IRQ, even though they are supposed to be designed handle share s....

This activity helped me, maybe it'll help you. I've also read about VIA and Nvidia conflicts causing some of this , you may try slightly older drivers if you still get BSODed even after newest updates have been installed. Good luck and see if you can experiment your way to a configuration that seems more stable...

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Joseph Worsnip May 23, 2005, 05:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I disabled my lan adapter in BIOS, still BSOD.
I disabled my on board sound in BIOS, still BSOD.
I disabled all USB hubs in BIOS, still BSOD.
I pulled my modem, still BSOD.
I pulled my TV card, still BSOD.
I pulled the raid card, still BSOD.
Shuffled all the three PCI cards (modem, TV card, raid controller), still BSOD.
Tried three different sets of drivers for audio and ide interface, still BSOD.
Dunno.....................
Any more suggestions welcome, I am debating upgrading, changing mobo, it is just getting to me.
Thanks anyway
Joe

PCP777 May 23, 2005, 11:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's frustrating isn't it? Seems like the only thing left would be to make sure that your bios is flashed and current and eliminate software as a potential culprit. Looks like it's time for you to do a clean install on your OS.

Once you’re back up you should run some tests and see if any of your hardware is starting too big. There is a informative program you might look into called Sandra, no cost and It will give you all sorts of info on your hardware and where your machine is bench marking. It will also give you info on which services are running you could live without.

http://www.sisoftware.net/sandra/

Anything that's not a have to have should be turned of in the management console and also in msconfig. There's lots of talk about memory being the culprit, you might run memtest and change the slots your memory is placed in. I've redone my drive 3 or 4 times this year, and it seems like everything is fine until I update to Service Pack 2. This might be more bios than anything else, but I've seen alot of folks claim in forums that SP2 is when the problems really escalate. So back up burn save all your your important stuff, do a clean reinstall and run all the updates up through SP1, don't add SP2 and see how that works. that's where I'm a now. I might get one BSOD a week, usually when playing Battlefield online. and now it's typically the "page fault in a non paged area." I've gotten into a habit of checking out the event and system log in the management console when I crash, you'll see patterns like IMAPI cd drive inited etc. but make sure you adjust the options in . Sometimes you can see where Windows update tried to run, causing the BSOD or crash to desktop.

1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
Saitek
Emprex
brian tilsley May 27, 2005, 06:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just for the record - I've never had this problem until I changed my SB 5.1 drivers yesterday. I did it because my PC was hanging on DEVLDR at shutdown, which apparently are the soundcard drivers (I think).

Having downloaded the `relevant` drivers and installed them my computer now blue screens on MOHAA which it has never done before.

I will remove the drivers and see what happens.

I think that there could also be a valid point about IRQ's but not tried that yet.

Joseph Worsnip May 28, 2005, 02:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Right, i have reformatted and it has remapped the irq's. No conflicts as of yet..........................
But i also think i could have something to do with heat. In the reformatting process i found out my processor was running hot, very hot, solved (temporly) by removing side pannel and blowing a 12" desk fan direct at the processor.

John vdH Jun 01, 2005, 04:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

There is a program on your pc called Verifier.exe
It's in your \system32 folder.
Worth while checking out i think.
some more links:
http://www.microsoft.com/msj/0200/nerd/nerd0200.aspx
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=244617
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000576.html

greetings John

mike lee Jun 23, 2005, 09:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've been getting a stop error like all of you which restarts my computer. After analyzing the minidump file (with the microsoft debugging tool and symbols pack... http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx), it turns out that the error occurs from a driver calling an IRQL which is too high or invalid. From the setups you all reported, this seems most likely to be from the driver for the nVidia video card. I will try to get a solution by the end of today.

John vdH Jun 25, 2005, 02:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Haven't had a BSOD for 3 weeks now.
In my case the cause of the problem was a local user who ran the P2P program Shareazza automatically.
After changing to another user i could see the down/uploads still going on on the cablemodem.
The new user then fired up IE and after a while he got the bsod.
So, i changed the P2P settings to manual and problem solved.

John.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jun 25, 2005, 04:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Serena Rossi Jun 25, 2005, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem, but not with games.
I have windows 2000, and when I'm connected to the internet and I'm uploading my website using ftp or downloading files using BitTorrent it happens...
Please, could someone help me? I'm italian, so I can't understand some of your tecnical words you used :( , and I'm good with html but not with softwares and everything... Thanks!
Serena

Adam Timmons Aug 26, 2005, 10:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
according to MS, the driver is the "network driver interface". There are some fixes set up for NT (NT, 2k, XP etc.) systems some of which are supposed to be in service pack 2, but I've had the problem only since I installed a Netgear USB wireless adapter on my wifes laptop. The Netgear driver is unsigned (ergo flakey) and I have found similar problems with other Netgear products. The fan "falling off" of your system won't affect the system other than to make it very hot. This problem only happens to me "intermittenly" and if you believe the A+ certification exam, (I'm a certified tech) itermitent=power supply. I tend to think as one responder above said this is a driver problem. Microsoft Knowledge base recommends not doing anything until the next service pack comes out unless this is dire emergency because, according to them, the fix may be worse thatn the cure because it is still subject to testing. I was hoping someone might have a better solution, but I also agree that getting a better e.g. "signed driver" is probably the best way to go. If the hardware manufacturer is so cheap that they don't care about our systems or too lazy to make them compatable with the dominant operating systems, we shouldn't purchase the hardware from them. Fortuneately or unfortuneately, Mr. Gates dominates the market. The Netgear wireless adapter I have is exactly half the cost of a Linksys or a Belkin, or any other of the wireless adapters I can find on the market, but it is the hardware (Netgear as a whole) that gives me the most "blue screen" problems.

By the way, I use the same hardware and driver on systems I repair and once in a while get the same "blue screen error messages". I don't get them on 98 SE or ME OS.

If anyone else has a workaround other than to buy a more expensive piece of hardware with a signed driver(ok, I'm cheap and broke), I would sure like to know about it.

Earl Lew Jr Sep 01, 2005, 11:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently built a new pc and got the same irql error everyone else is getting. it's very frustrating because all the parts are new. it's also even more frustrating because i couldn't find a clear cut answer. after multiple installs of winxp and updating and rolling back my nvidia drivers I found something that worked for me.

I recently purchased:
athlon 3000
160gb sata HD
DFI Ultra Infinity NForce 4 MB
1 GB (2x512) OCZ performance ram.

i tried switching the ram from slots one and two, to, three and four. same problems.

i then took out one stick and put one stick into slot 1. worked fine.
i ran prime 95 torture test on it for ten minutes. ran fine.
i took the second stick and added it to slot 2, ran prime 95 again and it detected hardware failure.
so i figured maybe it's not the ram and it's the MB...so i took the stick out of Slot 1(the one that ran prime 95 without problems) and I took the stick from slot 2 and put it into slot one and ran prime 95 on it by itself. prime 95 detected a hardware error
i then removed that stick and put in the original stick by itself and tested it again...it was fine.

so for me i am pretty sure the problem is i have 1 bad memory stick...now of course the part that bothers me is that when i ran prime 95 and it found an error my pc didn't shut off...so i don't know...i'm going to send the RAM back and get some new sticks and we'll see if i have any more problems.

PCP777 Sep 02, 2005, 02:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 02, 2005, 02:27pm EDT

OK, I upgraded from a 420Watt power supply to a 450watt , rearranged all my PCI cards and so far no BSOD for 4 days of heavy gaming, BF2, I'm thinking it's power supply related as I've tried everything else....... crossing my fingers here......

3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.20GHz HT
FSB: : 4x 201MHz (804MHz data rate)
1GB DDR-SDRAM Memory Bus Speed : 2x 201MHz (402MHz data rate)
MSI PT880 Neo (MSI MS-7043)
American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T
VIA Technologies Inc PT880 CPU to PCI Bridge
NVIDIA GeForce 6200 AGP 8X 128MB DDR
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS Gamers
Bus(es) : ISA AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
Saitek Gamers' Keyboard (USB/HID)
ASUS CD-S520/A (CD 52X Rd)
ATAPI DVD+RW 4X4X12 (CD 40X Rd, 16X Wr) (DVD 5X Rd)
LAN : VIA Networking Velocity-Family Giga-bit Ethernet Adapter
Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)
450watt powers supply

1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
Saitek
Emprex
Chazza B Nov 01, 2005, 04:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For me this is definitely a driver problem. I started getting the error after I tried to download an audio driver from NVIDIA (in fact iot crashed to the blue screen before finishing the install). I now have an IRQ conflict on PCI(21) and PCI (22). Does anyone know how to re-allocate IRQs? Someone mentioned there was a way on page 2 of this thread but i've not seen an explanation yet.
The problem seemed to cease when i rolled back the driver but it has reverted back to the conflict after i shut down.

Frank Elliott Nov 17, 2005, 05:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I'm sorry I didn't read your post in detail but in case you still need help with this (over two weeks later, I realize), the solution for me at least was as follows:

1. I had run a bunch of antispyware and found various messy things that I removed. So I got bold and decided to delete everything in my system32\dllcache folder too. Important: I did that knowing that I had my original XP disk handy, because right after that I ran SFC /SCANNOW to have the system 'repair' itself and re-populate the dllcache folder. The problem (subject of your post) occurred next time I booted up.

For newbies to PCs (Windows variety) and I'm not including you in this, just replying because your post is about the issue I just resolved: Windows Safe Mode: Learn to use it (especially regarding hdwe problems, there is no other choice!) by pressing F8 on bootup and selecting Safe. Another thing to keep in mind is that there are three control sets in Windows: Current, 001 and 002 (unless you add more for whatever reason), and it will probably take THREE successful boot-ups for anything good to stick. So be prepared to reboot often and that part is unavoidablel.

Specifically, I copied the ndis.sys in my dllcache (since I knew it was right off the CD) to the ..\drivers folder and after two more reboots, everything was good.

Cheers and good luck to other spyware victims! F.

sam choi Dec 28, 2005, 10:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 28, 2005, 10:58pm EST

please help me, i have this problem for quite a long time while playing cs 1.6 and other high graphic games.
i get this error message driver irql not equal to or less, my graphic card is sharing the same irq with my network card... could this be a problem? if so how can i fix it or change it? should i change me motherboard?
im currently using asus p4s533-x

dennis Dupont Jan 20, 2006, 02:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, im using:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 processor. - 478 Socket
Point of View - Geforce 5900FX
Elixir Ram 512
and some motherboard i dont remember name of, but in manuel it says it support my processor.

Hmm, im having this problem too, but you guys seems lucky to me, i get a blue screen when im trying to install my Windows XP, first when i got the computer i had MAJOR problems, then i tryed to remove one of my RAM blocks, and then it worked, a little better, i still get blue screens though, under the installation, it had no problem to install windows 98, but it gets major problems when i try to install XP.
though i noticed that in my BIOS, i had an options called "internal Cache" if i deativated that it worked as intented, but to bad it makes the computer go like 100times slower, and belive me, its 100 times...
The most common error i get is "IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUEL"

Well, if any1 can help me, i would be delighted...

oh yea, and it aint my XP that has a problem, course i tryed with 3 diffrend CDs.

James Spiteri Jan 23, 2006, 05:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Hi!

I have the same problem, but the message I get is "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and that's it. It doesn't mention "WITH_NDIS.SYS"

Ok, now bare with me on this one!

This problem used to happen when my camera turned off after a few minutes when I used it as mass storage, and then tried to turn it back on again. After about a few weeks it stopped, and could turn it on and off as many times as I want!

The problem has never happened again...until now!

Since the last 3 weeks, my pc has got this BSOD (Blue Screen "Of Death") when I start it up after shutting it down. It stays on for about 1 second, then restarts my computer, so I don't get enough time to read the message. The only way how to get round this problem (not fix) is to restart my computer when it starts up, before the BSOD happens. I know when it is going to happen, since it happens everytime the red cross on Norton Anti-Virus goes, to show it has been enabled and has started up properly (It only does that because it needs to load; hence my pc has just started up), and makes that little grinding noise inside (sounds bad but it happens on every pc with Norton Anti-virus, I jsut don't know what it does!). By the way I have Norton Internet Security, which is Norton Anti-Virus, and Norton Firewall.

I have noticed that if I unplug my ethernet plug out of my computer, and plug it in again...it shows the BSOD, but doesn't restart itself! The wierd thing is, at the bottom of the screen (of the BSOD) it says: "HTTP:" then I can't remember the rest...it shows a bunch of numbers and decimals, almost like an ip address, but it's something like: 2 numbers, decimal, 2 digits, decimal - etc.

I don't know if is related to another problem I have, but I will post it anyway, just incase it is!

When I play Battlefield 2 (online multiplayer), I get kicked after a few minutes by PunkBuster saying that it is because of losing Key Packets. Now I know you guys may be thinking it's my internet connection, or LAN port, but I really don't think it is, since I have just got a new modem and has been working fine before this problem occured. That may be an issue with PunkBuster though, nothing to do with this. I don't know; but I thought I would mention it anyway!

I used to be able to get round this problem (again, not fix! Just temporarily get around it) was by unplugging a USB device. One time it would work if I unplugged my headset, sometimes it wouldn't, but would if I unplugged something else! It was as if I had to guess what caused the problem each time I turned on my computer!

I would really appreciate any help, as I know NOTHING about IRQL's and hardware errors! (Sorry!), and also this is only a 4 month-old pc, with a pretty high spec...and a lot of money spent on it!

My PC Specs Are:

- AMD 4200+ Dual Core Processor
- XFX NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX 256MB TV IN / OUT
- 300GB SATA HHD
- Asus A8N-E S939 MotherBoard
- 2GB RAM (2048MB Dual RAM)
- Thermaltake Tsnuami Case, Silver
- Hiper 580W PSU, Blue

Please help!

Thank you!!

Dalby Holly Mar 02, 2006, 01:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 02, 2006, 01:19am EST

Zip up 5 of your most recent minidumps (or what you have), make sure they are the last ones you encountered, order your folder by date if you have to, and upload them somewhere for me to download and debug. That goes for anyone that has a problem with BSODs.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.