Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1727 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 04:23pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Frank Elliott Mar 03, 2006, 12:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
The answer to the problem seemed mostly to do with either a repair or complete reinstall of the XP OS. If anyone has troubleshot this down further, I am open to learning the cause and perhaps a quicker fix. I realize that reinstalling is a hassle--I learned the hard way: Microsoft XP's implementation of hardware leaves a lot to be desired (and I'm no apologist for them). But once it works properly, it should work more or less forever. BTW, did you change the chipset hardware for an Intel Pentium M in this process? That's one suspect I have since it's caused me multiple problems--I suppose I'll have to revert to the original chipset software that came with my Dell laptop (unless anyone else has ideas on that--Intel doesn't). Good luck.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Frank Elliott Mar 03, 2006, 12:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
BTW, I will zip up some error tracking files I'd saved on my C: installation of XP and send it to you (I have reinstalled WinXP Pro on D: now w/o BSODs). Is there an email address where I can send them next week?

PCP777 Mar 03, 2006, 12:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Reinstall or repair of XP does not fix this problem, tried complete reinstalls several times, FYI

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Frank Elliott Mar 03, 2006, 06:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Did you start from scratch or try to retain your pre-existing network hardware setup? That's what the NDIS.sys has to do with (managing resources for such devices). When I started from scratch on a new (in my case logical) drive letter, the problem disappeared, but mine is essentially a stock PC. Another suspect device was my DVD burner, which was broken and after I replaced it, no more errors at all. However, my NDIS.sys issue was apparently solved by reinstallation since it hasn't recurred. If you know how to do so, I suggest you turn off diagnostic services via mdm.exe or any consoles that are started by default (like if you had checked the radio button on the msconfig main dialog), because my sense is that these BSODs were/are caused by a debugger finding a single bad reference [which is unsurprising due to the proliferation of IPv6 stuff in the existing IPv4 infrastructure].

Perhaps equally or more likely, you got stung by some malware that tried to or maybe succeeded installing a dialer program so some fly-by-nighters could rip off a credit card somewhere by virtue of your PC dialing up some third party long distance or 900 number. Then when your system encounters a problem in their unsigned code, it triggers the BSOD. Hackers cause issues all over the 'net and are happy to do so at our expense. I fail to understand their motivations. I made darned sure I removed every bit of malware by starting from scratch. My XP works like a champ now--I even tweaked up the memory manager and priority settings to optimize performance. But FYI the problem first became manifest when I was using an unknown wi-fi connection called "default" which was possibly messing up my network settings. Sometimes what we don't know can hurt us.

The main reason I've posted here a few times is that this problem intrigues me. I want to see what others make of it. We Shall Overcome.

PCP777 Mar 03, 2006, 07:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Actually I started from scratch, did a full reformat and even tried several XP install disks on several different occasions, performing an entire OS install in order to eliminate software. I've tried just installing SP1 to see if SP2 might have been the culprit.

I use a direct LAN connection to cable. I've even gone as far as disabling my onboard NIC and using a PCI NIC.
This problem is beyond intriguing me, it's essentially killed my on line gaming activity BF2, COD2, DC BF 1942.
I even have sporadic BSODs now, even when I've stepped away. My next step is to replace the 1 GB dual channel PQI PC 3200 memory. Some of the error messages seem to point to my memory having a problem.
Some of these steps have seemed to have worked, but nothing has been a sustained solution. You can reference my entrys going back through last Spring on this problem. If you are able to discover a solution you'd be helping alot of people here.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Frank Elliott Mar 03, 2006, 09:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I hope some folks at Microsoft read stuff like this because this is precisely the sort of thing that they should be fixing for their next major OS release. I take from your last post that you've possibly also put in some performance tweaks (the gaming thing is what makes me think so). Is that right?

As I suggested previously, I suspect malware, and while some is malicious, some problems may occur because people like you and me want to squeeze better performance out of our XP dollars. It seems as though not long after I got into P2Ping (otherwise unavailable, out of print) movies I got zapped with BSODs. Maybe that was just my imagination on overdrive, but I do want to take up the offer to have my old XP error logs analyzed by someone else--so perhaps we can put our heads together and get to the bottom of this. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I suspect that one part of the issue could have to do with the pervasive snooping that the federal government does on Internet backbones.

Wouldn't *that* be fun to prove? I know it's well above my pay grade!

Dalby Holly Mar 04, 2006, 04:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Everyone can send your dumps to this email SpamMe@only-the-truth.com.

I've fixed many computers with this problem, all seems to be line stress related. Rolling back drivers may help. Make sure too that they are certified, if they're not, then email your hardware vendor for a fix, or send them your debug report when you send me your dumps.

Good Luck.

Rudy Walker Mar 07, 2006, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, I have been getting this IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen error ever since I installed my "D-Link Airplus DWL -G520 Wireless PCI adapter(rev.b)" network card, and when I send my error report to Microsoft, they say that the problem lies within my D-Link card and told me to update drivers for it. So I go to windows update and it says there are no better matches for what I already have now. And then I go into device manager and I look into resources of my network card and it says there are no conflicts and I checked everything but nothing at all had the same IRQ(not sure if thats good or bad) But there ARE two devices that I found a conflict with(they each conflict each other) my: ATI Smbus and my Motherboard resources, it says the conflict lies within the I/O range.. That's about everything I could dig up on the situation but I am wondering if that conflict may be causing my IRQL not less or equal problem?

Frank Elliott Mar 07, 2006, 09:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think you'll have to find the D-Link drivers elsewhere. Getting that "cannot find" using the Found New Hardware Wizard is the same-old, same-old, and my sense is that Microsoft is hardly even maintaining XP these days as they focus on their next release. Here you go: support.dlink.com/downloads/

So tech-savvy types like us must congregate on sites like this to share fixes. I recently also encountered a programmer who does work for Microsoft, so perhaps he'll have something useful to teach me that I can pass that along.

Rudy Walker Mar 07, 2006, 10:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have indeed gotten those drivers before, but to no pevail. My error is still haunting me.. u.u

Frank Elliott Mar 07, 2006, 11:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just emailed my old error logs to Dalby Holly and perhaps he'll have some guidance for us (I'm not sure how illuminating my logs are but one thing's for sure, I didn't edit them). I think you're on the right track though. My sense is that the BSODs occur when one process tries to access the protected memory of another process, and that seems a lot more likely occurrence when two processes are sharing an interrupt... however I'll just shut up and 'listen' for now; I know enough to know how little I really do know.

In my experience, the fixes are often surprisingly simple (especially when experts take the time to package them for others). Here's a useful (not-directly-related) fixer program: http://djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix.

Frank Elliott Mar 07, 2006, 11:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just emailed my old error logs to Dalby Holly and perhaps he'll have some guidance for us (I'm not sure how illuminating my logs are but one thing's for sure, I didn't edit them). I think you're on the right track though. My sense is that the BSODs occur when one process tries to access the protected memory of another process, and that seems a lot more likely occurrence when two processes are sharing an interrupt... however I'll just shut up and 'listen' for now; I know enough to know how little I really do know.

In my experience, the fixes are often surprisingly simple (especially when experts take the time to package them for others). Here's a useful (not-directly-related) fixer program: http://djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix.

Frank Elliott Mar 07, 2006, 11:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Frank Elliott Mar 07, 2006, 11:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Dalby Holly Mar 09, 2006, 12:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 09, 2006, 12:41pm EST

Yes, close Frank.

It's really an attempt that has been made to access a pageable (or completely invalid) address at an interrupt request level that is too high. This is usually caused by drivers using improper addresses.

In most cases, if the offending driver has an update, it would fix the problem (only if the vendor knows about it). Because the hardware works and is not tested long enough, the companies tend to just get a driver that works for varying OS's as fast as possible which makes things worse for us.

I take it most of you are using Windows XP? And the drivers you are using are for more than one OS in the Windows family? If you really care about your hardware working with your current OS, then make sure it is certified..... Nothing more to say. If it is in fact certified, then there is a bigger issue. And then it's time to call up MS. Only after you have followed these steps.

If your system is overclocked, reset it to the default settings.

A lot of BSOD`s are caused by faulty ram. The steps below are to help in removing the possibility of faulty ram.

Make sure your ram is not overclocked, as this can cause stability issues.

Make sure that the ram you are using is compatible with your mobo (motherboard). Check with your mobo manufacturers website.

Turn off your computer, and unplug the mains cable.

First. Take out your ram stick(s) and clean the contacts with an eraser (rubber you use to rub out pencil mistakes). Blow away the remnants and replace one stick at a time, and test your system.

You might also want to try putting your ram into a different dimm slot.

While you have your case open, it`s also a good idea to clean out any dust, that may have accumulated. Also check all connections, and cables etc.

You can also download, and run the Memtest86+ programme from http://www.memtest.org.

Test each stick of ram individually first, and then together.

Let the programme run for at least seven passes for each stick of ram.

If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is a pre-built iso version available, that you can burn to cd(as an image), and then boot from that.

If memtest gives you errors then most likely your ram is bad. However, please be aware that some faulty ram can pass Memtest.

Also check with your motherboard manufacturers website, and your motherboard manual for supported manufacturers, and types of ram.

If you suspect a damaged page file(virtual ram). Here`s how to delete, and create a new page file.

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab.

Under performance, click settings. Click on the advanced tab, and then on the change button.

Click on the custom size button, and click in the initial size box and make the size of the page file 0. Click in the maximum size box, and make the size of the page file 0.

Click set.

Now reboot your machine. After your system has restarted run a defrag.

Once the defrag has finished, go back to the pagefile settings above, and click on the change button. For the initial, and maximum pagefile size make it 1.5 times the amount of ram your have. I.E if you have 512mb of ram set the page file to 768mb.

Click on the set button again, and reboot your system. You now have a brand new page file.

Also, check that you have all the correct, and latest drivers for your system. And remember that you should rollback if those don't work up to this point.

If your mobo has onboard sound, or onboard video, and you are using a separate soundcard, or video card. Please make sure that your onboard sound/video is disabled.

Finally. Run a disk check. Click start/run and type cmd. When the command window opens, at the command prompt type chkdsk /r /f and hit the enter key. Note the space between the chkdsk command and the forward slash, and again between the r command, and the forward slash.

You will receive a message saying that "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?" Type y and hit the enter key.

Now type exit followed by the enter key.

Restart your computer, and during the bootup process the disk check will start.

Depending on the size of your hard drive this can take quite some time to complete. Once the disk check has finished your computer will reboot.

If after all of these steps have been performed, and you still get BSOD's, then please zip up 3 - 5 of your most recent Minidumps (or what you have) and post them to SpamMe@only-the-truth.com for analysis. You can find your minidumps in the following directory. c:/windows/minidumps

If your system just randomly restarts without BSOD's (Blue Screen Of Death) then do the following.

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click System.
3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Take the check out of the box for "Automatically Restart" for System Failures.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

To change the folder location for the small memory dump files, type a new path in the Dump File box (or in the Small dump directory box, depending on your version of Windows).

The only real way to fix problems like these is for people like us to send in reports to the vendors to tell them what has happened and on what OS. Send it with a debug report. Don't bother MS about your BSOD's. The OS has already been created with hardware that has been certified by them. Hardware vendors have the job to get their hardware working on a system that has already been made. MS won't make you a personal hot fix even if the problem is wide. It's not their problem. It is easier to tell the vendor of your hardware or software about your problem for future customers and hopefully working updates. So if you have new hardware, you can bet you have the latest updates. So I urge you to downgrade or rollback to a previous version of your drivers or buy hardware that is certified by MS. It won't always be drivers, it can also be hardware faults like heat, cpu, motherboard, PSU's, faulty RAM etcetera..

Many of the problems here are based on the former. And most are not always the same, but can have the same symptoms. That's why we got debugging tools to help us :)

I will look over your dumps soon as I finished working on some other important emails Frank. You are important to me, but since you have already fixed your problem, it's not very important :D

David Medley Apr 17, 2006, 08:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been getting random BSOD's with 3 different errors. Sometimes the Irql less or equal to, sometimes the Bad Pool Header one and mostly the NDIS.SYS BSOD. I have formatted and reinstalled XP 4 times now, but the problem still persists. I have tried xp with sp1, sp2 ... no luck. Flashed new bios to motherboard and new drivers also ... no luck. Updated drivers for Netork card, video card, sound card ... no luck. Even rolled em back ... no luck.Deleted pagefile and created new one ... no luck. Disabled Hyperthreading in bios ... no luck. BSODS still happen maybe twice a day for no reason. If i uninstall zonealarm and kaspersky anti virus my system is stable, but if i install a different antivirus or firewall same problem happens. I have p4 3.2 with 1gig ddr ram geforce 4 6600nx gt 128 meg and 128bit soundblaster live card. This problem is killing me, if it persists much longer i'm gonna bin this machine and buy a new one. I have tried everything I have read in this thread but no luck so far. I have saved 3 minidumps but cant really make heads or tails of them. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys :)

Wejden Hmila Apr 17, 2006, 08:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you still got your minidump?
if they are still alive upload them somewhere or send them at my email i try something

David Medley Apr 17, 2006, 09:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I dont know anywhere i can upload them to, and I cant find your email address here, i dont think the private messages you can send allow for file attachments either .....

Michael A. Apr 17, 2006, 12:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Michael A.
lou andrew May 16, 2006, 12:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
check out posts here related to ram problems, http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/2274/.

i was having same errors, turns out problems with ram chips.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.