Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1287 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 05:10pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Hans Ljungberg May 04, 2007, 01:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
I fixed my problem. Solution? I got a new fan for the CPU and a new NIC. Worked like charm.

Oh yeah. Netgear, you SUCK! :)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Javier Pante Aug 01, 2007, 03:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here I come. New here, same BSoD. I'm getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL constantly.

I can't say what can cause this, because it comes randomly, even after formatting my hard drive during Windows setup. I've read everywhere that it's due to faulty or bad RAM, but I've done 2 passes with memtest and it reported no errors, so RAM is not the problem.

Another thing I noticed is that my integrated network and video card shared the same IRQ (IRQ 11), but after reinstalling Windows for the 4th time, I see they're now in different IRQs (nic is in IRQ 19 and video card is in IRQ 16). Unfortunately, the problem persists.

I'm starting to think it's a motherboard or hard disk fault. I need help with this :(

PCP777 Aug 01, 2007, 03:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You are probably correct, I eliminated my problem down to either CPU or motherboard by switching out and eliminating EVERYTHING else. Judging from the condition of the thermal paste for the CPU, it overheated. I even bought a big new CPU fan, but the problem still exists.

So the PC still works, but just won't handle gaming and occasionally BSODs.

I built a new machine, and this old one will be fine for my wife to check her email with. pricing on Mobos and dual core CPUs have dropped so low, it makes more sense just to replace them then fight the BSOD any longer.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
1022MB RAM
ABIT
300 GB Seagate SATA
NVIDIA GeForce 512 MB 7950 GT
Creative Audigy 2 Gamers Edition
Saitek
Emprex
Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack
Alex Chau Aug 05, 2007, 03:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I just started getting the Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal bluescreen yesterday after i installed the new nvidia geforce 7 video card drivers for windows xp, the bluescreens never happened before and I know that because i always left my computer on for a long period of time and it was fine but now its starting to crrash every 20-30 minutes of sitting there and doing nothing. The only time i had a bluescreen before was trying to run World of Warcraft and enter a Major City. Either my computer receieves bluescreens from the new nvidia drivers or from me using bittorrent I have no clue or they can be related to both.

Javier Pante Aug 06, 2007, 10:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I solved the problem. How? Getting new RAM :~

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL message appears when RAM receives an instruction and reponds with another one. For example, if your computer tells RAM to read the pattern 04040404, a bad RAM will understand it as 04040004, and that means a different thing. Depending on the address the instruction is heading to, it might be related to the IRQL thing. I don't mind getting this IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen of death, but if you get it frequently, definitely there's something wrong.

Unfortunately, the best solution for this is getting new RAM.

Javier Pante Aug 06, 2007, 10:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 06, 2007, 10:28am EDT

Alex Chau said:
Well I just started getting the Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_Or_Equal bluescreen yesterday after i installed the new nvidia geforce 7 video card drivers for windows xp, the bluescreens never happened before and I know that because i always left my computer on for a long period of time and it was fine but now its starting to crrash every 20-30 minutes of sitting there and doing nothing. The only time i had a bluescreen before was trying to run World of Warcraft and enter a Major City. Either my computer receieves bluescreens from the new nvidia drivers or from me using bittorrent I have no clue or they can be related to both.

Does this blue screen refer to a nVIDIA .dll or .sys file?

adam Aug 06, 2007, 10:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 06, 2007, 10:48am EDT

no this is a PCI buss error. This buss effects PCI IDE buss controls and are related to the motherboards ability to lock down the buss 66/33 . Its more common to see this when over clocking but some times a motherboard will have faulty buss locks . 78/48 kind of thing and operate out side the device buss ability's. If you get this when over clocking you have superseded the motherboards ability to maintain the lock 66/33 . If you get this @ stock then your ram or CPU is most likely pushing it over the buss properties. A bios update will fix this problem 89% of the time. 2%of the time its a faulty motherboard north bridge. 9% of the time your motherboard is having as**t fit over CPU or ram. Changing this out often helps alleviate the problem.

All motherboards work off buss ratio CPU/Ram sets PCI PCI E IDE SATA buss properties. has to do with the code of the board and how the CPU uses its ratio. The fact a CPU fan effects this shows the code to look for CPU fan speeds to detect what CPU this is. Or what to run the CPU @ so it don't fry. doubt this would ever effect more then 1% of all systems.

Its far more likely that the CPU to Ram quotient has pushed the PCI/IDE buss to unsafe levels, may not be all the time but this may be only at high levels of use. All CPU,s will fluctuate frequency based on NEED.

AMD 6000+ @ 3.3 Ghz
Corsair XMS 2 - 2 gig DDR 2 800 @ 880 4 4 4 12 2.1 volts
8800 GTX KO @ 630/1575/2106
vista home premium x64
Enermax 650 watt 39 amp 12+ rails PSU
320 gig sata 2 300 mb 16 meg cache
2 gig 200x flash in readyboost
Hans Ljungberg Aug 08, 2007, 04:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Remember to check which file it references to, before you start buying part past the $1.000 mark.

Like I said, it was Ndis in my case. What's yours'?

Dalby Holly Aug 09, 2007, 02:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You still need to get it debugged to find the real problem. send your minidumps to SpamMe@only-the-truth.com and Ill fix your problem, for FREE.

NDIS is just a linked message to what was apart of what caused the BSoD, not the problem driver. If you happen to fix or change NIC's and fixed it, that was a fluke.

I've fixed hundreds of systems here so far with NDIS and nearly every single system was a different driver causing the problem. Not NDIS.sys.

So send me the minidumps. If you don't know how to do that, scroll back a few pages to find out how. Look for my name.

Fotis Kapnistos Sep 10, 2007, 10:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've had this problem with some computers before, and later I kept forgetting its darn cause. So I decided to post here in order to remind myself what to do...again! IRQL is a memory issue, and NDIS is the network device interface. So right off the bat, just check your memory and network card - which is probably in conflict with some other device driver. Re-seat your memory sticks into their slots and make sure dust hasn't entered the slots, etc. Do the same with your network card. It could probably be that a graphics, USB, or sound card are trying to access the same memory space as your network card. But focus your attention on the network device... I used to work in an internet cafe and I remember one day when about seven PCs started rebooting themselves all at once and displaying IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL messages. So I was quite sure that it wasn't really a coincidental hardware failure. (Not your graphics card, dummy!) It was a Blaster Worm variant that attacks network devices. The problem is that you might not ever find it with a virus scan. It enters, attacks, and evaporates when you reboot - after screwing up your Page file Virtual memory Manager. Sometimes you will also see a pesky NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM alert that shuts down your PC again and again...

Getting rid of it requires some fuzzy logic because it comes from your trusty Internet Provider. Disconnect from your network and experiment by moving your hardware devices to other slots and rebooting windows (a few hundered times). In the end, if all else fails, reinstall Windows. Sorry I said that. But that's what works, provided your hardware isn't damaged and you don't get re-infected the moment you connect once again to your area network. Firewalls should help but they really don't always. These past few days I have reinstalled Windows about ten times (sleepless nights anyone?) on just one PC and I still haven't plugged that blue screen of death wormhole.

Fotis Kapnistos Sep 10, 2007, 11:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The real problem with the Blaster Worm variant is that it appears to be a hardware flaw, displaying the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL distress signal, when in fact it's a software corruption that attempts to modify how system memory is accessed (faulty device drivers can do the same thing). Notice how many people have had their hardware inspected or totally replaced, only to get the same BSOD errors?

When I do a clean install of Windows, the PC is relatively stable. But after I go online to download new drivers, updates, and service packs, the system gets disturbed and begins to hang and reboot with the ugly blue screen. My firewall doesn't seem to help. I suspect some antivrus programs are partly responsible. The network worm actually uses them to hop right in. It's sort of a fail-safe situation. Before you can download new virus definitions, your machine starts to act up and finally shut down, appearing to have some obscure hardware problem. This is more likely to happen if you're adventurous and build your own computer instead of buying a new one off the shelf with pre-installed software. The OS monopoly is becoming one step forward, two steps back. And our entire scientific future suffers, instead of advancing. What a rip off.

Fotis Kapnistos Sep 10, 2007, 06:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I fixed it at last (once more). After reinstalling different versions of Windows and almost buying a new graphics card out of frustration, I simply removed the network card from the computer, dusted the motherboard out, and rebooted a few times. I then put the network card back into a different slot and reinstalled its driver. I guess it got assigned a new IRQ number that doesn't conflict with any other device. The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL blue screen finally stopped tormenting me. But to be on the safe side, I also made a new CPU ventillator by sandwiching two old fans, one on top of the other, to lower the temperature a few degrees. As for the Blaster Worm variant, it's been coming and going for a few years now, every time I make the stupid mistake of going online without a firewall. It always affects the network devices in strange ways that cause my PCs to reboot. I never find it with a virus scan, but I think it somehow lingers in my LAN or hub memory, possibly altering the CMOS which remains buggy for a few days, even if the motherboard battery is removed. I learned the hard way to always have two hard drives in my PCs, one for Windows and one for my personal data. That way, if I need to reformat and do a new installation of Windows, my personal stuff remains safe and sound on the second hard drive.

Dalby Holly Sep 10, 2007, 09:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Blaster doesn't do anything other than tell you windows sucks and shuts your pc down to prove it. Go get sp1 or get these

1. WindowsXP-KB833330-x86-ENU (Prevents Blaster Virus).exe
2. WindowsXP-KB823980-x86-ENU (Kill The Blaster Virus).exe
Or
3. For a new installation, get the Standalone versions SP1 and SP2

First you get these files, copy them to disk, format your pc, load windows, load The updates SP1 and SP2, no need to install this update KB833330 if you have the service packs installed, once their in go onto the internet and get all other critical updates.

Anyone can still send their minidumps to this email spamme@only-the-truth.com if their having problems with blue screens. if you don't know how to get mini dumps, scroll back a few pages to my other posts.

Lithargoel a Jan 16, 2008, 06:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The fix is simple.

Reboot, but disconnect the internet connection from back of PC.

System will reboot no problem.

Then open your network connection properties. (right click Local Area Connection - select Properties)

From the list select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP), and click on Properties button.

Click on Advanced button(lower right)

Click on WINS tab.

In the NetBIOS settings(bottom) select Enable NeBIOS over TCP/IP.

Then plug in your network capable again, and all should be fine!

Your welcome!

NOTE: if you do not disconnect your network capable, the system will shut down within 5 minutes of trying to communicate. It is a Windows problem, not a virus.

Jeff Leites Feb 05, 2008, 11:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just started having this problem last month (error D1). I didn't add any new software or hardward. The only change I can think of that I made, was I moved my DSL modem/wireless router from my desk to a location that gave me better coverage, by replacing the ethernet cable with one that is about 15 feet long. I'm only crashing once a week or once every two weeks, so that makes it hard to do any trial and error fixes.

Dave Ingram Aug 13, 2008, 01:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Similar problem not exactly however

BSOD didnt say ANYthing about NVdisp.

just after i press "play" and the screen is supposed to go black and start the opening movie,
i get BSOD

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR EQUAL (Blah Blah Blah)

no other helpful info at all.....

I try different Nvidia drivers (its an Asus 8600 GTS silent)
I try updating Mobo Bios (it's an Asus P5k Deluxe Wifi/AP)
I try disabling the other 2 built in NIC cards and all other ports i'm not using, comm, serial, e-sata

Problem persists, even though i had just run AVG8, Adaware 2008, Spyware Blaster, Spybot Search & Destroy, and had updated all and immunized against all and all noted MRU's, and other such crap was removed.

the only error i keep getting
Control Panel administrative tools event viewer says this over and over right about the time of my crashes

The ATK Keyboard Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

SO if you happen to get something similar to this particular BSOD from hell

Goto, start menu, run, type msconfig, goto the services tab and disable "ATK Keyboard service" for whatever reason legit or not, this little bastard either got hosed, OR is some kinda malware designed to keep you typing in your password over and over.

Hoping this will save any other unfortunate souls some grief!

Sumit Shekhar Dec 25, 2008, 11:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 25, 2008, 11:42pm EST

Hi,

I m facing the exact same issue of BSOD "DRIVER_IRQL_LESS_OR_EQUAL NDIS.SYS". It was working fine till last week before i formatted my PC with XP PRO SP-2. I keep my PC on for downloading always. I get BSOD every nite. It works fine during daytime but give the BSOD rarely and randomly. But when i keep my PC on whole night nad check it aftre getting up in morning it is on the BSOD screen everyday in nite. I had checked almost all the hardware devices and reimaged the system twice with different media. I had even checked my RAM by diagnosis tool but it had passed the test. Even i had bough a new CPU fan but the issue still persists. Presently i m running Win XP PRO SP-3.

Can anyone provide me the resolution as i m very frustrated with the issue from last 1 week. Appreciate quick response. Thanks in advance.

- Sumit

Hans Ljungberg Dec 26, 2008, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since it's in Ndis it'd have something to do with your networking gear. Check the driver to your network card and/or change network card to a different. As previous posted I bought a new one of a different manufacturer and that got rid of the problem. Good luck

Sumit Shekhar Dec 27, 2008, 12:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 27, 2008, 12:43pm EST

I am getting this error randomly. Everything work fine for whole day but gets the error generaly at nite. The network card is onboard. Also downloaded and installed the latest version form the mainboard page of intel website. But currently it is not in use. Previously It was working fine always. I am using USB modem which creates a virtual network connection. Is it may be the conflict. But it also does not occur regulalry or on specific action or application. I had also changed my CPU Fan :)

Kindly suggest...

GtoX (capt Guns) Dec 27, 2008, 04:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
usually IRQ_not_less_or_equal signifies that its a graphics driver issue most of the time..

Main Rig--- 2700k @ 3.7ghz ,Scythe Samurai ZZ @ 54c load ASUS DCII GTX570 780mhz@64c load, P8P67-m Pro, 2x4gb xms3 1333mhz, 128gb SSD + 4x500gb lagring, OCZ Modxstream Pro 600watt, In-win Dragon Slayer 140mm+120+96mm,120mm

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.