Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1560 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 04:05pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>
Kyle Dickerson Jan 12, 2004, 11:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal with ndis.sys in win xp
Everything was working fine, but then my network connection started being really slow (I'm at college, so I access Internet via Network). My game connection (Halo) was lost so it put me back in the menu screen. I exited the game and tried to download a copy of Knoppix (Linux run from CD, want to find my way out of MS) but it was only downloading at 0.8 kb/sec... ridiculous, so I tried downloading some other stuff.. same problem So I restarted my computer (It's windows, that fixes alot of things) but then Windows didn't start.. instead it BSOD'd with a Page_Fault_In_Non_Paged_Area error referencing the file upatc.sys. I searched on google but nothing useful referencing this file came up. Searched MS website also to no avail... I checked the file, It's windows built in USBAT Mass Storage Driver. USB RELATED. However no USB devices were being used at the time of the error. I'm under the impression that this is still related to the Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal error, and that it still has something to do with the IRQ's. I just reset my Motherboard to the defaults, we'll see how it goes.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
PJ Davis Jan 12, 2004, 11:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
is everybody using a ASUS motherboard? that could be ur problem.
my friend builds computers and he said all the computers he put ASUS motherboards on got that error and u had to disable hyperthreading to stop it. so he swapped motherboards on one with a different brand and reenabled hyperthreading and didn't recieve a error. so try changing motherboards if u have ASUS and recieve the error

Kyle Dickerson Jan 14, 2004, 12:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry about the above post. I hit enter after typing my password.. force of habit I guess. I'm using a Soyo Motherboard, which does not support HyperThreading. However, after reverting back to Optimized defaults in my Bios and moving one USB device from my hub onto the spare port I have not recieved any errors yet. I also found out a little bit about why all my things are on the same IRQ. Windows XP (I'm using Pro) uses a Management IRQ for it's non system IRQ's. There are no options to change the IRQ and apparently Windows doesn't like it when the BIOS tries to manage the IRQ's. I will post again in a few days if all goes well, or after I get another error that I think is related to this original problem.

Kyle Dickerson Jan 14, 2004, 01:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry for the triple post, but my system just crashed again w/ the same Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal error. I'll try some more stuff and post what I'm trying.

Kyle Dickerson Jan 14, 2004, 09:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I guess I've now quadruple posted. but Anyways:

I've been doing a little analyzing of my event log. And I think my problems might have come from the Video Driver Update I got for my NVidia GeForce FX 5600 card. The newest drivers (The Forceware 53.03) might have done it. Less than a day after installing the driver my event log reported that my video driver was stuck in an infinite loop and had to be terminated; I don't recall getting a BSOD when this happened, so it might not have been noticeable at the time. 3 days after that happened is when I started getting the BSOD with the error messages previously described. I'm going to remove the 53.03 drivers and reinstall the 52.16 drivers I was previously using before my problems began. I'll keep the thread updated on what happens from this experiment.

Kyle Dickerson Jan 15, 2004, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I no longer get BSODs but instead my system randomly hangs on me... Sometimes when I'm trying to shutdown, playing a game, doing nothing, surfing internet. NumLock still acknowledges so system is not totally frozen, but nothing else responds. No error message ever occurs, nor is anything logged into the event log. Also when this happens it loops that last cached sound on the sound card... I'm looking into this being a driver conflict with the sound card or something.

Kyle Dickerson Jan 16, 2004, 07:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So far so good with my system. It was a combination of a bad Video Driver Update and a weird Midi driver that some game installed, they didn't like each other.. but both are gone and I haven't had any problems yet.

Robert K Jan 16, 2004, 08:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SOLUTION :
For all of you, your problem is your RAM! (Even if you have expensive RAM)
You must have qualified DDR with Asus Mobo's, check http://www.asus.com for list of qualified DDR sticks.

Especially running on Dual-Channel, or hyperthreading you need QUALIFIED DDR from the Asus list!
That's why turning off Dual-Channel or Hyperthreading sometimes solves the problem.

Asus Mobo's (especially the A7N8X) are very very picky!

Greetings from Holland (where are grass is very very green ;)

Rob Rogers Jan 18, 2004, 10:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: driver irql not less or equal in win xp
Hi,

I've finally fixed the IRQL problem on my system. I got this error everytime I went into IE and surfed around a few minutes, or when checking email in outlook express.

My configuration: HP m376n with P4 2.6 Hyper & XP media center, service pak 1 installed.
Connection: Comcast Cable modem connected to USB port.

After reviewing the BSOD, I was consistantly getting IRQL... and MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS.
I installed all the latest drivers, reinstalled all current drivers, etc...

I refused to reinstall XP from scratch. I have so much software installed and registered, I didn't want to do all that again...especially since most of the registration codes were emailed to me and I'm not sure I still have all of those and/or lose them on a reinstall.

Long story short, In my case, I'm sure it has something to do with the USB hub and IRQ conflicts around it. Although the control panel didn't show any conflicts, from what I'm reading here and elsewhere, XP just can't handle the truth.

Since my problem centered around the internet connection, I simply switched my modem from USB connection to the ethernet connection. No more BSOD!

I just wanted to post this to since I saw someone else tried the same thing and it worked for them too. Hopefully it will work for you.

Shawn Connor Jan 19, 2004, 05:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everybody!

I encountered the same problem on my machine after installing to a new harddrive (Samsung SP1614N).

+ ASUS A7V8X
+ AMD 2600+
+ 512 MB DDR-RAM (256 Infinion+ 256 No Name)
+ 300W No-Name PSU
+ Sound Blaster 1024 Live!

I'm running Win2KSP4 incl. DirectX9.0b, old Detonators-Drivers (v45.33) and NOD32 Anti-Virus Software.

Connected to the Internet using a fli4l-Router (http://www.fli4l.de).

Leaving the Computer idle (=not using the computer) with eMule running produced the following error regularly (every night): IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL tcpip.sys

Using the computer for 16h continuously prevented the error from showing up.

The following things didn't help to fix the above problem:
1. Flashing the BIOS to the newest available version, rebooting using default settings
2. Fixing the pagefile.sys size to double RAM size --> 2x512 MB = 1024 MB
3. Disabeling Onboard Sound
4. Downgrading NVIDIA graphic card drivers from 53.03 to 45.33
5. Updating VIA4in1 drivers, drivers for USB and Onboard-LAN to the latest versions
6. Turning off Anti-Virus Software
7. Not using / using an other than the latest version of eMule (0.30e)

What finally helped was to disable the Onbaord-LAN-Chip and using an 3COM Ethernet-Card instead. Since then the system is running stable for about 1 week.

Since ever I didn't trust Onboard-Ethernet-Cards (for it has to be a low-cost component) and now it shows up why.

Astonishing to me seems that the computer ran without any problems for 6 months using the same configuration. The only difference before the new installation to my new hard-drive was that I used a 3COM Ethernet-Card at first and after that switched to the Onboard-Ethernet Card taking out the 3COM-Card. Installing to the exact configuration (except my new hard drive Samsung 1614 and without the 3COM-Ethernet-Card) produced the error.

Kyle Dickerson Jan 20, 2004, 02:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Since I've been reading alot about this is the past week or so (and my problem isn't fix as I previously thought) I figured I'd do a summary of all the possible causes seen, and solutions that other's have found to work. Because this is such a diverse problem these solutions probably won't work for everyone (like myself) but they probably will work for some people:

Possible Causes / and Fixes:

- Bad RAM - it seems the majority of people's problems end w/ new RAM
-Note: Many have said that software checks (such as memtest86) do not catch alot of bad ram
-If possible borrow known Good RAM so you don't spend alot of money w/o solving your problem
-Corrupted Drivers - or other system data
- Try upgrading to the newest problems... errr... Drivers that is :-)
- Try downgrading to older drivers
-Note: may be caused by physical damage to Hard Drive
-Most Mnfctr's provide low level drive testing programs that will detect errors and mark bad sectors
- Heat - Many have fixed the problem by lowering overall system heat in their case
-I have seen less errors since I've pulled the side panel off my system, but I still do have errors
- Windows just got messed up...
- Alot of time with Windows just doing a clean re-install will fix it
- By clean I mean re-paritioned, re-formatted, de-fragged => there isn't anything on it at all
-Yes, I realize this is a huge pain in the butt, especially when you have alot of App's to reinstall...
- Hardware Arrangement
- Try moving the RAM sticks around, don't put a pci card in the slot next to the AGP card
- Conflicting Drivers
-My errors decreased significantly after I uninstalled a MIDI driver that my system apparently didn't like

** IF YOU STILL HAVE PROBLEMS **

Try doing a clean install (see above) after removing all non vital components from your machine
-IE : leave the Hard Drive, processor, Video card, CDROM, Floppy, RAM
-IF all is well then add stuff one at a time until problems occur (hopefully you've found the bad part)
-IF all is NOT well - try replacing some of those parts (preferably by borrowing before you spend money)

** STILL HAVE PROBLEMS ?? **

Well..... you can always do what I'm going to do when my new Hard Drive comes in later this week:

WINDOWS XP = BYE BYE ......... HELLO LINUX :-)

I hope this helps somebody.

Ivan John Stealth Jan 21, 2004, 12:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
================== ! ! ! ! !
THIS WORKS FOR ME!
BETTER READ THIS!
I HOPE IT HELPS YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM
================== ! ! ! ! !

I HAVE A:

DURON 1000
APACER 128MB PC266 DDR
333BUS ECS MOBO
(THATS ALL YA NEED 2 KNOW I GUESS)
AND OF COURSE THE FX5200! 128MB, 128BIT 8X (ON 4X MOBO)

THEY SAY WHEN SOMETHING IS UNDERSTOOD BUT DOESNT WORK, ITS THEORY,
AND WHEN SOMETHING WORKS AND NO ONE KNOWS WHY, ITS SOMETHING DIFFERENT... PROBABLY OF MUCH IMPORTANCE.... CHOW... HOPE THIS ONE HELPS!

BELIVE ME OR NOT... THE PROBLEM MIGHT JUST BE...

==== INSUFFICIENT COOLING ====

I HAD THE SAME BLUE SCREEN ERRORS AND DRIVER IRQL BLAH BLAH...

I BELEIEVE THAT I'VE TRIED EVERY CONCIEVABLE ACT POSSIBLE.

WHAT I DID WAS OPEN MY CASE AND PLACE AN ELECTRIC FAN VERY NEAR IT AND SET IT TO HIGH! (BUT BEWARE OF THE DUST ACCUMULATION! I AM.)

I SWEAR TO HELL THIS WORKS 'FOR ME' I JUST HOPE IT ALSO WORKS FOR YOU.

IM HOPING TO BUY A DECENT COOLING FOR MY VIDEO SOMETIME... QUITE EXPENSIVE HERE IN THE PHILIPPINES... OK... THAT'S ALL... SORY FOR THE BAD GRAMMAR & SPELLING AND PRIMADONNA ALL CAPS TEXT... :) CHOW!

MAIL ME DEATH THREATS
IVAN_JOHN@YAHOO.COM <------- NOT ALL CAPS... THANKS...

Charles McKinney Jan 21, 2004, 12:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

lee yup Jan 21, 2004, 02:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
getting exact same message, im running a 845e max (msi) mobo 2100ddram, 120gig hdd, mx440 gfx card, (not great specs but only a media system 4 me telly)
when i try to install windows im getting that message, kinda at a dead end. anyhoo any suggestions? thnx

Steve H Jan 26, 2004, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just an FYI - (someone suggested posting fixes, so I am, since I did use this as a resource)

anyway, in my case it was two things:
IRQ conflict with Audigy 2 ZS
AND
Bad RAM. bad bad ram...
I also tested with with MemTest86 v 3.0 http://www.memtest86.com/

lee yup Jan 26, 2004, 11:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
turned out in my case to be bad ram, swapped the ram from another comp and the prob just dissapeared. :)

jonathan steed Jan 29, 2004, 12:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 29, 2004, 12:51am EST

OK had a this problem for a while and it got worse over time I changed my RAM out 3 time's all new . I changed out my video card ....Geforce4 MX with a Gefroce4 TI 4200 128 Meg. Same problem so I changed out my HardDrive with my brother with diffrent OS. He ran WinM and I run WinXP and same problem. So I thought it had to be my mother board!

I uninstalled my sound card and all of my network cards and modem....I updated all driver's I could find for all.......still same damn problem!

Load and behold when taking apart my old board I noticed somthing........my heatsink on my CPU was installed backwards being a Athlon XP it was only half covered. I turned it around to to fit right...............one week later all is smooth. Check your heatsinks I had alote of errors but they where all a effect of the heatsink be installed wrong.....and or to much heat.

b Feb 06, 2004, 04:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As of Janurary 30th, 2004:

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section of this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825784...ct=win2000

You have to call Microsoft and have them send you a hotfix by email, i had to uninstall it and reinstall it once, but everything seems ok now.... we'll see.....

Edward Karlinski Feb 09, 2004, 09:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this same problem. I had my modem checked. It was bad. I had it replaced and I no longer have the IRQL problem. I recommend simply replacing your modem.

Juan Ojeda Feb 09, 2004, 09:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I still have the same problem after one month of being trying to fix it. I have an ASDL connection (GreatSpeed modem), and when I use the microphone and my webcam (Genius Webcam Express V2) at the same time... I get the error. Tomorrow I'll try to replace the USB interface, but I'm seriously thinking about changing the motherboard.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.