Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 708 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s August 05 - 12:56pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Intel's Core 2 Duo processors, leveling the playin...

Intel's Core 2 Duo, leveling the playing field 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Sander Sassen Jul 18, 2006, 09:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Intel's Core 2 Duo, leveling the playing field
We should've compared to AM2? Because others do? Question: how many of our readers (that includes you) have a AM2 based PC? Exactly, isn't it better to compare to the established base rather than something that just got released? Also, S939 with fast DDR400 easily outperforms AM2 still, hence using AM2 might just cripple the AMD platform rather than make it perform faster. This is a fair comparison by all means.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Jul 18, 2006, 09:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm in total agreement with you on this one Sander.

Memory bandwidth makes very little difference to performance on K8 architecture due to the memory controller being on die.

An overclocked s939 system (to bring CPU up to FX62 or whatever) is a good comparison, and also shows the perfromnce difference between [most peoples] current hardware and the soon to be released Conroe.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
B Jul 28, 2006, 11:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Excellent article Sander.

It will be much more interesting when AMD counters with the second gen AM2 processors. If I was to build a computer in the next few months (which I'm not) I'd definitely wait. Seems like Intel is gonna have the crown for at least a month or two.

Wildwood Jul 30, 2006, 12:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brendon has it in a nut-shell. Wait for AMD's response before you go slapping down money for a Conroe. The bench's are very impressive though.

Jincalo Fasa Jul 30, 2006, 12:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
^^^He says a month or two! The AMD fanboys pray for only a month so they don't have to suffer the 2 1/2 years that Intel fanboys did. As far as performance, citing MaximumPC vol 11 no.8, page 44, the real fx-62 outperformed the fx-60@2.8 in every benchmark except 3dmark 06, by 20 points. The memory bandwaidth was actually greatly increased. That kind of does rend your benches with an fx-60 as an fx-62 sit in unfair. I'm not saying the real fx-62 would win. This has more to do with morals rather than trying to defend my favorite cpu company. If your going to label the benches as an fx-62, bench an fx-62, not a jacked fx-60. I'd have to say the same about any situation.

Core 2 Duo has it, for now. I don't know much about K8L, K9 or K10, or AMD and ATi together, but if the market is held my Intel for an extended period of time (aka 2 1/2 years), I would like to see some good stuff come out of AMD. Hell, I'd like to see some good stuff out of AMD in Q1 of 2007, get some hella' awsome competition going on! Everybody loves a good old match between two huge rivals!

Jincalo Fasa Jul 30, 2006, 12:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
^^^He says a month or two! The AMD fanboys pray for only a month so they don't have to suffer the 2 1/2 years that Intel fanboys did. As far as performance, citing MaximumPC vol 11 no.8, page 44, the real fx-62 outperformed the fx-60@2.8 in every benchmark except 3dmark 06, by 20 points. The memory bandwaidth was actually greatly increased. That kind of does rend your benches with an fx-60 as an fx-62 sit in unfair. I'm not saying the real fx-62 would win. This has more to do with morals rather than trying to defend my favorite cpu company. If your going to label the benches as an fx-62, bench an fx-62, not a jacked fx-60. I'd have to say the same about any situation.

Core 2 Duo has it, for now. I don't know much about K8L, K9 or K10, or AMD and ATi together, but if the market is held my Intel for an extended period of time (aka 2 1/2 years), I would like to see some good stuff come out of AMD. Hell, I'd like to see some good stuff out of AMD in Q1 of 2007, get some hella' awsome competition going on! Everybody loves a good old match between two huge rivals!

Wildwood Jul 30, 2006, 02:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I agree, LOL. But saying it twice doesn't make your point stronger... ;-)

B Jul 31, 2006, 09:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 31, 2006, 09:52pm EDT

Just to clear it up. When I said a month or two, I wasn't being very specific. I haven't been following up with ALL the IT news lately. I've been busy with summer school (which will be over by the end of the week! :) ) After summer school I'll have time to get back into all the IT buzz.

Jincalo Fasa Aug 01, 2006, 02:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yea, these forums mess with me man. I need a moderator to clean up after me.

Tim Magraw Oct 05, 2006, 11:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Tim Magraw Oct 05, 2006, 11:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Have you guys tried getting a MOBO to run these things on?

Short supply doesn't even cover it! Also if you want to run SLi you have to find and old Nforce Mobo with BIOS patches available, coz despite comming with SLi bridges the Intel based boards apparently won't hack it. Apparently NVidia won't release the SLi Microcode.

ARGH!

Tim

Dublin_Gunner Oct 05, 2006, 11:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
plenty of Core 2 Duo boards on the market m8.

ALL p965 based boards are compatible, aloong with a huge number of p975x based boards.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Ian Yeoh Oct 05, 2006, 01:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DublinGunner,

Its still a perpetual pain for SLI users. No there are no motherboards in the market that officially support SLI, except for the Nforce4 Intel. Yes, some people are usingthe modded 85.96 driver for SLI functionality, but the performance is substandard at best, if not dismal. Plus the modded drivers won't support the 7950, so high end QuadSLI users are out of luck. I myself demoed a 975X + Conroe system and scoffed. The performance was ultimately worse than a fully optimized S939 Athlon system at the resolutions that I want to play at. Therefore, SLI users are in an absolute bind.

The Dude Oct 06, 2006, 12:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John Ingram said:
Hardly matters. PC sales are still going to slide. I..... Desktop PC's had now reached their zenith. They needed no upgrades ever again to do all the jobs that would be required of them in the office environment. Yes, companies expand, PC's blow up, but no more we will see the upgrade cycle we saw in the past.

Hehe.. wow. cause nobody will ever need more than 640k of memory...

Dublin_Gunner Oct 06, 2006, 05:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ian, one also has to consider the maturity of the platform.

If you want a fully matured, working, stable platform, but sacrifice top performance, then by all means people should go for something else like s939 (or AM2 to an extent)

But to consider not going Core 2, just because the SLI boards have not yet made it to market, would be pre-mature IMO.

And considering the current news on Nvidia & SLI, doesnt really seem like there's much life left in it anyway.

Hence their next card (G80) is so OTT on the shader front. They know the only reason for SLI in any 'practical' (I use the term lightly) sense is gaming, and if by producing a monster single card solution, you can almost equal or better current top end SLI solutions, thats where the money will be at.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
B Oct 06, 2006, 06:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I really like the forum upgrades. Quote button rocks. We got formatting buttons,emotions amd RSS updates now! Very convenient!

Good job Sander! :)

Hans Moleman Oct 06, 2006, 07:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not into SLI, but I can say that I won't be getting an Intel Core 2 Duo in my next laptop purchase. The reason, they all have crappy Intel graphics. The only way to get a Core 2 Duo laptop with any other graphics is if you're willing to shell out over $1000. I could get a solid Turion X2 system with ATI graphics for under $700. I know it's still integrated graphics but Intel graphics downright stink. At least the ATI graphics will be enough to effectively run my older games at above average settings.

AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
ABit AN8 Ultra nForce4 Ultra Chipset
MSI 9800GT OC 512MB
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR 400
Antec 500W PSU
Kevin Fitzpatrick Dec 19, 2007, 06:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is quite odd. I read this nearly(same) article on C-Net a couple of months back, comparing the same models, however every single test showed results that were completely opposite of these. Interesting.

TamTheBam Dec 19, 2007, 07:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

This thread's ancient man! lol

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.