Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 812 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 01 - 08:09pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / AMD merges with ATI, the world turned upside down?

Re: AMD merges with ATI, the world turned upside down? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
guru Shane Aug 06, 2006, 03:23am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: AMD merges with ATI, the world turned upside down?
If you think about it, the merger between ATI and AMD wasn't necessary either. It does open up some possibilities for both companies, however. Intel and Nvidia could just as easily do the same and would see new opportunities from doing so. Whether or not those new opportunities will actually be enough motivation to do so will only be seen once AMD and ATI show the world what this kind of merge can or cannot accomplish.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dublin_Gunner Aug 06, 2006, 07:41am EDT Report Abuse
While it may not have been 'necessary', ita certainly beneficial to both.

Just look at the practical issues, AMD, not have the ability to produce their own chipsets and integrated GFX, just like Intel, which means a real possibility of competing in the mainstream / business sectors, where Intel has always reigned supreme. I mean, when was the last time you went into an office block and saw the normal workstations powered by AMD?? Thatys now a possibility, which will make AMD a LOT more attractive to OEMs, such as Dell etc who sell the majority of their machines in this sector.

Also, ATI now have their own FABs, something nVidia dont, which is obviously a binus, as not only can they be in more control over the fabrication of the silicon, but can massivly reduce overheads that they were spending on using the likes of TSMC etc.

Intel on the other hand, already have their own GPU & chipset sections, and have done for years, so would they need to buy nVidia?? No.Especially not when they can pretty much do what nVidia can, without having to spend billions on an aquisition.

This whole thing merely give AMD the ability to compete with Intel on all levels and area's of Intels major business, something no other company has been able to do before.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Mike L. Aug 06, 2006, 10:12am EDT Report Abuse
Nvidia doesn't have their own fabrication plant!? You don't say.. I seriously would have imagined them to have a few, considering how popular they are.

Dublin_Gunner Aug 06, 2006, 10:31am EDT Report Abuse
Nope, like ATI, they use silicon manufacturing companies for all of their fab work.

I know they use TSMC, and a couple of others I cant think of right now.

Fab plant are ridiculously expensive to build, and ATI & nVidia really dont have the money to develop[ one big enough for their needs on their own.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
guru Shane Aug 06, 2006, 12:40pm EDT Report Abuse
I can definitely see how Intel doesn't need anyone's help. Nvidia, on the other hand, might need to step things up in order to remain competitive with ATI now that AMD has merged with them. Intel definitely has the money to invest, and I could see it benefitting both Intel and Nvidia to do so. Then again, perhaps Nvidia has some tricks of their own that is going to single-handedly dominate ATI + AMD? I guess it's possible, but it doesn't seem as likely. I certainly hope that Nvidia can remain at the top, but ATI has definitely just gained a real advantage.

Wildwood Aug 06, 2006, 12:45pm EDT Report Abuse
Well said Dublin.

Mike L. Aug 06, 2006, 01:13pm EDT Report Abuse
How did one company (Intel) become so powerful like that? To believe that these guys have the money to pump into R&D and to open fab plants left and right like that is truly amazing.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 06, 2006, 01:16pm EDT Report Abuse
Space Program Mike L, Hopefully AMD doesnt screw this up like they did with the First line of AM2 CPUs, and not to mention discontinuing the 1MB L2 CPUs.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Mike L. Aug 06, 2006, 01:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Space Program?

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Aug 06, 2006, 02:22pm EDT Report Abuse
NASA.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Wildwood Aug 06, 2006, 02:47pm EDT Report Abuse
Just one minor note here guys. The actual merger hasn't closed yet. Either party can still back out. That is supposed to take place in the next quarter. Probably in October. Then the full incorporation of ATI will take place after Christmas.

G. G. Aug 06, 2006, 11:25pm EDT Report Abuse
with ANY merger or aquistions... people always talk about the good things.... BUT you have to remember that there is ALWAYS the garbage that comes with it from both side of the house. Kinda like a marriage..... you love your fiancee.... but you hate the to be in-laws or any relatives from that side of the family..... Well..... you get married anyways..... well... guess what.... not only did you married your one and only... you just inherited her whole family along with it... good or bad.....

Just like the HP and Compaq merger...... that shouldnt never happened.... but it did anyways.... A whole lotta not so good bumpy ride afterwards.... but HP is a strong company and will survive but not until ALOT of pain is felt and many years aftwards to heal.... I should know....

[edit] OH... almost forgot.... Intel and Nvidia dont necessarily have to merger at all...... I think it is best that they stay apart.... if need be.... They can always partner up with signed deals to benefit both of them when need be. In otherwords..... make agreements that would benefit BOTH of them without the headaches and garbage that comes with a merger.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Mike L. Aug 07, 2006, 01:37am EDT Report Abuse
Airman,

Yeah, I know the 'space program' means NASA; but I meant it in the way of what does that have to do with Intel. Did Intel help/sponsor/fund them in anyway or something?

G. G.,

You're right, Intel and Nvidia wouldn't need a merger to begin with (which is something I've been saying all along). If one or the other felt threatened by it's competitors, then they could just as easily work out some sort of a licensing agreement that could propel them ahead of the game faster than anyone else.

Edit: Lol, Airman, nevermind. I typed "Intel and NASA" into google, and pretty much saw that Intel has designed and built a whole bunch of projects for them. Hence forth, the very generous payments, which also leads to one yummy bank account.

guru Shane Aug 07, 2006, 02:06am EDT Report Abuse
I guess that brings the question, "Why couldn't AMD and ATI just form some sort of licensing agreement then?"

Mike L. Aug 07, 2006, 02:56am EDT Report Abuse
Well, I guess the reason for it was much deeper than any of us thought of. But, still a good question none the less.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.