Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1425 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 03:38pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Games /

List of 64-Bit Games! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Oct 02, 2006, 10:31am EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: List of 64-Bit Games!
Vista 128-bit? roflramen... Windows Vista will come in 32-bit and 64-bit.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael C Oct 02, 2006, 01:02pm EDT Report Abuse
LOL I dont know, I was tired okay!!! lol

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 02:22pm EDT Report Abuse
Don't worry, 64-bit gaming is an improvement by far. When Microsoft releases there Windows Vista x64 & x86 versions, there should be a lot more support for both via Direct-X10.

64-Bit can address a lot more memory then 32-Bit. That will benefit a lot in games, because 32-Bit hit a wall sometime last year.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 02:37pm EDT Report Abuse
I can give you an example on how much of a improvement you can get out of 64-Bit games vs. 32-bit.

Take for example
Sega's Master System = 8-bit
Sega's Genesis = 16-Bit
Sega's 32X = 32-Bit (First 32-Bit gaming console - was an add-on to the Genesis)
Sega's Saturn = 64-Bit
Sega's Dreamcast = 128-Bit

The best is from the bottom to the top. The same thing applies to 64-Bit gaming on the PC. You can do so much more with 64-Bit over 32-Bit.

I do agree that these 64-Bit patches are probably misleading people, but if you took a "pure 64-Bit designed game" it would look better by far over a 32-Bit version. More memory, better image quality & playability.

Beavis Khan Oct 02, 2006, 02:44pm EDT Report Abuse
Seriously, please, just stop it already. You're making all of us dumber with these bogus arguments. :|

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 02:58pm EDT Report Abuse
Edit your post Big Beavis, I presented Facts ;)

Chris M Oct 02, 2006, 04:03pm EDT Report Abuse
Ok Super XP, I'll bite. Explain exactly how 64-bit will enhance gaming. Don't present other people's articles or silly things like "The Dreamcast was 128-bit so it must be better!" The only way you're getting my respect back is if you tell us exactly what it is about the ability to use huge numbers that will make gaming so much better.

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Oct 02, 2006, 04:10pm EDT Report Abuse
What about benchmarks and FPS between 32-bit and 64-bit? That would have to prove some? All with the same settings. Whether the settings be maxed out with 2xAA or Medium. As long as its the same settings for both the x86 and x64 games. Would have to prove something right?

Chris M Oct 02, 2006, 04:26pm EDT Report Abuse
It was already determined that these "64-bit versions" are just 32-bit versions modified slightly so they compile in 64-bit. Any performance increase you see isn't simply due to the environment being 64-bit.

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 08:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Memory. Lot's more Memory, that is how 64-Bit is better. Darn, I feel like I've been repeating myself LOL,

I wish I can find that DOOM 3 review with the engineer responsible for that amazing title. Because he was asked about 64-bit gaming & if DOOM 3 would come out in a 64-bit format or not?

But anyway, I already explained myself. 64-Bit can address a lot more memory right? is that not true? I don't care about these 64-bit patches, what I am saying is 64-Bit is better then 32-Bit as 32-Bit was better then 16-Bit & so on.

That is what I am saying.:~

FordGT90Concept Oct 02, 2006, 09:46pm EDT Report Abuse
Chris M Oct 02, 2006, 04:26 PMWhat about benchmarks and FPS between 32-bit and 64-bit? That would have to prove some? All with the same settings. Whether the settings be maxed out with 2xAA or Medium. As long as its the same settings for both the x86 and x64 games. Would have to prove something right?

That's all graphics adaptor intensive stuff. CPU performance shines in AI, triggering events, networking, physics, collision detection, etc. which is basically everything not related to audio or visual. If you have a physics card and assuming they take the physics load off the processor, you can remove physics from the CPU task list.

Super XP Oct 02, 2006, 08:50 PM
Memory. Lot's more Memory, that is how 64-Bit is better.
I don't care about these 64-bit patches, what I am saying is 64-Bit is better then 32-Bit as 32-Bit was better then 16-Bit & so on.

Again, that difference is rooted in the operating system which passes the benefits on to all software that has memory addresses that point to offsets greater than 4 GiB (the limit of 32-bit). If you don't have more than 4 GiB of memory, the benefits are negligible.

Yes, it is better but at this time, it's useless. There's very, very little that requires doubles or quads. Yes, you could make a game that implements 64-bit quads and doubles and the results would be visually smooth polygons which is phenomenal stuff but, there aren't near enough computers capable of running 64-bit instructions to warrant creation of such software at this time. This is because switching the compiler to 32-bit would result in at least halving of performance (it takes at least two instructions to calculate each int/float operation then tie the binary values together to form the equivalent value of a quad/double).

The only problem with this concept is graphics cards need to move to 64-bit instructions too supporting doubles/quads as well instead of primarily floats. Right now, games work on three planes with whole numbers based on signed 32-bit integers. In most games derived from the original quake (which most FPS games are), each integer is equal to one inch. Using quads instead of longs, that one inch in 32-bit could be broken into 4294967296 parts and still result in the same capable grid space of -2147483648 to 2147483647. This means that corners can indeed, appear perfectly round to the naked eye. The problem is, that creates so many brushes and faces that compiling would take months and video cards would likely get a < 0 FPS attempting to render it. Simply put, we just aren't ready for 64-bit but, when we are, you will truly be surprised. This stuff now doesn't show even a fraction of what 64-bit is all about. All they achieved is getting rid of "*32" on the processes tab of Task Manager.

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 09:50pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks for the INFO GT90, that is what I was trying to explain.

Take Care,

FordGT90Concept Oct 02, 2006, 10:29pm EDT Report Abuse
No, it's not. As the other's already clearly pointed out, you comment without understanding. 64-bit is far more than just a number-it's a world unto itself. If you read and understood what was said on the last half of the first page, you wouldn't be saying anything you said on the subsequent pages. 64-bit has it's time but that time is not now.

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 11:38pm EDT Report Abuse
No, that is not what I was saying. And if is sounded like that, then that is not what I meant to say. But I will say that 32-Bit is old right now, we are ready for 64-bit.

My Quote:
But anyway, I already explained myself. 64-Bit can address a lot more memory right? is that not true? I don't care about these 64-bit patches, what I am saying is 64-Bit is better then 32-Bit as 32-Bit was better then 16-Bit & so on.

FordGT90Concept Oct 02, 2006, 11:42pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm done repeating myself here.

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 11:43pm EDT Report Abuse
Same here ;)

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 11:50pm EDT Report Abuse

SuPeR Xp Oct 02, 2006, 11:54pm EDT Report Abuse
Quote:
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay was also shipping optimised for the x86-64.
Sources verified that the Riddick game CD contained optimised binaries for the platform.

Quote:
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadows of Chernobyl optimised for AMD64 in the first quarter of 2005, and back in January 2004 AMD director of marketing John Morris said that games companies Ubisoft and Epic Games would be releasing 64-bit versions of their respective games Far Cry and Unreal Tournament in the first quarter of that year.

LINK:
64-bit gaming waits for Longhorn
http://www.cnet.com.au/games/pcs/0,239029655,240053683,00.htm

You Got to give credit to AMD for trying ey :)

Oct 03, 2006, 04:25am EDT Report Abuse
I haven't done much if any testing (on 64-bit games)... but I honestly haven't noticed much difference between 32-bit and 64-bit in my games (UT2004, Far Cry, Riddick). I'm not saying it's not there, just that I haven't noticed it. Of course, I do have a video card that bottlenecks my gaming performance. That's a big part of it.

I do notice, however, a big improvement in the overall responsiveness of the system. Explorer's windows and menus load very snappily (there was always a slight, slight delay for me on 32-bit XP, hardly anything at all, but it drove me bonkers).

I also notice a difference in encoding various media. XviD's and MP3's finish up a bit quicker. Microsoft has released a 64-bit version of their Windows Media Encoder as well, I haven't used it very much though.

FordGT90Concept Oct 03, 2006, 08:11am EDT Report Abuse

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.