Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1225 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:14pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Enermax Galaxy PSU problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Calvin Smith Dec 27, 2006, 12:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List Replies: 11 - Views: 5402
Hi,
I've recently upgraded my computer and one of the components I changed was the PSU.

I chose an Enermax Galaxy 1000w PSU to give myself plenty of room for future expansion.

The first one I received simply wouldn't come out of standby mode, on powerup it would spin the fans for about 5 seconds and then return to standby.

I exchanged this and I've now got a problem with the replacement. On powerup it starts to spin the fans and then gives me pairs of beeps with the red warning light on. The manual says this denotes a short circuit. I've swapped the two modular cables I'm using and tried them in different output sockets with no joy.

I'm now reluctant to try to exchange this for a third PSU, am I just unlucky or is there a problem with these power supplies ?

Asus A8N SLI Premium
AMD FX-55
2GB Corsair memory
GeForce 7950 GT's in SLI
150GB Raptor
3 250GB Barracuda in RAID0
1 250GB Barracuda in JBOD

Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Yours Truly Dec 27, 2006, 12:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Enermax Galaxy PSU problems
Before you go further, I would suggest unplugging all devices. Remove the mobo from the case. Boot up the computer outside of the case. Does the system start up and run properly? If it does, then you have just ensured that the PSU is fully functional. In such a case, the problem lies in either one of your devices or your mobo having a case grounding issue.

Its highly unusual for two PSUs from a reliable manufacturer having such problems, let alone their top end model.

No, I don't have an Enermx and I use PC Power & Cooling myself. However, I have a high regard for Enermax, so look into that issue, but first unplug everything that is not absolutely essential to booting up the system.

Report back.

TamTheBam Dec 27, 2006, 01:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

I've got the Enermax GALAXY but had no problems with it so far. Sorry to hear about
what's happened to you dude. YourTruly's gave you the best advice so far for this
situation. Hope all works out well

Tam..

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Calvin Smith Dec 27, 2006, 01:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,
I've re-installed my original 450w PSU and the system works fine which is what makes me think it's a problem with the PSU rather than any of the other components.

micro Dec 27, 2006, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Im sure your psu wont have this otion, but just in case, did you check on the back of it for a switch for 115v or 230v?

My othr thought is even though its 1000 watts, mabey the psu cant handle the strain upon boot and the over load circuit trips.If you remove all but the minimum, like 1 hd 1 stick of ram etc.. it would ttell you if this is the problem, if it then boots. It wont cure your problem but it would tell you whether to get another psu or get this one replaced again.

GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3, 2600k @ 4.0
16 gig Corsair Vengeance
Evga gtx 260 216, samsung 2253lw"
Baracuda 7,200.12 CoolerMaster 212 +
Win 7 64, fsp fx700-gln, Razer DA,G15
Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid
Silence in the face of evil is it's self Ev
Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Dec 27, 2006, 03:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
return the PSU, Complain to enermax and get a Thermaltake Toughpower Supply.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Peter Dk Dec 29, 2006, 09:22am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hmm. I seem to be having similar problems with my galaxy 1k. This is a new system Dual Core E6600, 2G Corsair DDR2, Quadro 3500, Intel BX2 MB, 4 hard drives.

The PowerGuard system on the Enermax beeps and flashes red continually when I do something like transfer a file from one disk to another. It stops once the file has finished transfering. According to the manual this sort of behaviour is supposed to signify a PSU fan rpm < 450. It happens at different times but always when tranfering files.

It also just shut off my system with the PowerGuard system indicating two beep intervals with flashing red light. The manual states the a 'sudden power off' with the lights and beeps indicates i) Power supply abnormal, protection circuit activated. and/or ii) Connector terminals are short circuited.

Which connector terminals, I have not idea...... I've double checked all connections and everything seems to be in order. Normally I'd say there's something wrong with another component, but if we're seeing a few people with the same problem I'm wondering if its the Enermax.

Peter

john albrich Dec 29, 2006, 12:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In addition to disconnecting all but bare minimum required-to-boot devices, I'd advise removing any of the modular cables that become "not in use" when you do so. It's possible a cable/connector is involved, and the idea is to first get to minimum conditions.

And of course, if you can try to measure the main power voltages as you are powering up the system. A good storage scope is preferred, but lacking that a good Max/Min type of digital multi-meter can help. (even something like a Micronta 22-175A or a Radio-Shack 22-168A or equiv)

You might also want to order a go/no-go PSU tester (US$8-$25) from a place like geeks.com, tigerdirect.com, newegg, etc. They don't provide a terribly sophisticated test, but they can be a helpful diagnostic for basic PSU problems. A lot easier than breaking-down a system, and it's an investment that will likely be used again in the future.

Do a thorough visual inspect of the non-modular power cables as well, particularly around the case grommet and the connectors. Look for displaced pins as well. Check also for discoloration...could be a sign of a poor connection.

Ask Enermax if there is any known or reported problem with your particular mobo.

While the Galaxy is a sophisticated PSU with a lot of good design features, it also means more can go wrong.

Calvin Smith Dec 30, 2006, 02:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Enermax Galaxy PSU problems - Problem Resolution
Hi,
My motherboard has an extra 4 pin power connector called an Ez-Plug between the graphics cards and the processor to give extra power when two cards are used in SLi.

I'd upgraded from a pair of 6600gt's to a pair of 7950gt's which have their own PCI power supply.

My old PSU was quite happy for me to plug in power to my graphics cards and use the Ez-Plug as well but the Enermax wasn't.

If there was no power cord attached to the Ez-Plug then the system wouldn't boot unless the BIOS was changed to disable this check.

So I changed the BIOS setting, didn't plus a power cable into the Ez-Plug and everything is fine.

john albrich Dec 30, 2006, 07:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good detective work, CS. Glad you're getting things going. Please tell us how the PSU works out for you after you've put it through a few weeks of burn-in.

SuPeR Xp Dec 30, 2006, 07:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Enermax is one of the best power supply manufactures out there. I am sure that the problem is something which can easily be resolved. My next choice for power would be OCZ & Thermaltake Tough Series only.

Check on the Enermax website for more details on issues & such. Good Luck,

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Peter Dk Dec 31, 2006, 10:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, my Enermax Galaxy was acting weird so I brought it back. While at the store the technician tested it and said it seemed to be working fine. To be on the safe side I exchanged it for the Silverstone 750W (ST75ZF) PSU, just to see if the PSU wasn't compatible with the MB. While not as fancy I've heard Silverstone is pretty good (by the way the technician said the Enermax voltage stability seemed to be quite good).

Anyways, still the same problem. I've removed the MB from the case and removed all cabling to see if I can get it to post into the bios. First try I got it to post to bios but it froze and when restarted I haven't been able to get into the bios since. When I remove the memory I get the appropriate beeps, but still I've changed the sticks around and double checked to make sure they're in the right dimms - nothing changes. It's got to be the damn Intel BX2 MB.

When checking the Intel web site for known problems I've seen a post: "Computer Does Not Boot - Has Lights/Fans - Nothing Displayed on the Monitor" (see: http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-010256.htm) which is exactly the problem I've come across. I've checked all that I can - the only thing which needs to be done is verify from Corsair their "XMS2 Twin2X2048-C400C4 PC6400 DDR2-800 CL" should work. I don't see why not as the board supports DDR2-800 memory.

The one last thing which I came across on the Intel web site is a tech. doc for board integrators. One of the specs it mentions for the power supply is I must use the 2x12 power connector and the 2x4 connector for the process voltage regulator. Which I have been using. But for the 2x4 it says: "you must use a power supply with a dual-rail 2 x 4 Processor core power cable." WTF? I understand 12V rails but a dual-rail for the 2x4 connector alone? That doesn't make sense. If I understand the requirement correctly, I don't think there is a PSU maker who puts out a dual-rail cable 2x4 connector. The Silverstone has 4 12V rails.

I bought the Intel BX2 as they have a reputation for stability, but thats not the case here! Any comments on this are appreciated.

Write a Reply >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.