Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 534 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s April 05 - 06:46pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / To Vista or not to Vista, that is the question?

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Les Irish Feb 06, 2007, 01:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> 
Educated = Running Vista RC2 on high end hardware (GT7950, CoreDuo 6600, 2 gb fast dual channel ram, etc.) AND using XP every day on 4 other computers...

Educated = Running (for over a year) a Mac G5 Quad with OSX on it... using it a lot. (Final Cut Studio Pro, etc. etc.)

Uneducated = Micro$oftie OR MacHead Fanboy twits. Run a Mac. Run a PC with Vista (Vista is probably closer to final version of OS9 than OSX) Actually know first hand what you're talking about. THEN talk.

Everbody is entitled to an opinion, and to a generous share of contempt prior to investigation, etc. etc.
I personally don't say much unless I have some information that's possibly pertinent.

Reasons Not to be a Vista FanBoy:
1. Price/performance ratio for Vista (Deluxe or Ultimate) is poor, $250 upgrade (deluxe) and buy or build a machine ($$???) or upgrade video, ram and processor to run it (another $400 or more at least.)
2. Cynical vendors are slow/never to update drivers for older products to get us all to buy new peripherals for Vista.

With the advent of Vista, Micro$oft has removed some hurdles from people wishing to jump ship to Linux or OSX. I stayed with Windows because the Mac was proprietary, smug, and in many ways annoying from their marketing standpoint. Now they really do look better, for many reasons but also because you'll be able to upgrade your MacTel computer to the next two OS' for less than $150 a pop, and without losing your pants (or lowering them). You can run XP or Vista on it too using Boot Camp.
You may have to kiss Steve a little tho...

Sorry about the rant, but hey, it's a discussion.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
shaun magoon said:
VISTA MICROSOFTS BIGGEST BLUNDER..... THAT APPLE IS LOOKING MIGHTY TASTY

Your kidding me right? There is nothing a MAC can do anymore that a PC cant. Mac computers are way over priced and if anyone gave twos**ts about a MAC computer, there would be just as many vulnerabilities in it like a Windows based PC has. I read an article back in January where these hackers were going to exploit a security hole in a Mac OS everyday for the entire month. Did it successfully too I might add. So a MAC is NOT as secure as every MAC zealot thinks.

Daniel Ellis Feb 06, 2007, 02:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 06, 2007, 02:47pm EST

>> 
So, tell me, how long have you been using Vista so as to have a valid opinion on the matter? Cuz seriously, most all the noobs on this forum havnt even touched vista yet, but apparently have the ability to know what it is like. I have used OS X and Vista extensively, and OS X is better in some aspects and worse in others. I have yet to come across a vista bug. My rig runs vista smoothly, even with old hardware like my 3 year old sound card and my x850xt.
Quite frankly, Vista is incredible.. I'm using Vista Ultimate, and until now have had 0 compatibility issues, 0 hardware issues, and 0 slow downs. I have found that my access speed (the speed at which i access specific folders in explorer) has gone way up.

So honestly, i can tell most all of you have never even seen a pc with vista on it, and actually i lied earlier on about OS X having any aspects that were better than Vista. If vista uses a lot of apps similar to those in OS X, it does it better, smoother, faster and more reliably than OS X. Face it people, the only reason OS X has any aspects of reliability is cuz every mac is designed to run it flawlessly. And thats why there is no enthusiast custom system builders out there using it. I think that if Vista is similar to OS X, it is cuz its not exactly like OS X cuz its better in every way shape and form.

Yeah, just adding some gas onto these flames.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
mark parker said:
God forget Vista altogether it's a crap clone of an apple system, anyone buying it is an idiot and should stick with XP.

Just you wait in a few years time Microshite will release the next OS and it will be as crap as this one.

Vista is really only for gaming so if that's all you want then buy an xbox 360 actually no skip that buy anything BUT Microsoft :-)

Its called competition my friend. How would you feel if a competitor of yours was making big bucks on a really good idea and he was getting all the glory and business and you werent? You would probably want to do the same thing, but on the other hand, make it a bit different than his. Like I said, its competition, its what companies and everyone else does. So instead of slamming M$ because of a "crap clone of an apple" try digging up some facts first. Everyone is so ready to jump all over M$ because of Vista its pathetic and childish. Most of the people who bitch about Vista are the ones who cant afford to upgrade. Well to tell ya the truth, every new OS by anyone is gonna need some sort of an upgrade somewhere. By the time everyone has they Vista capable PC's and actually running Vista, its gonna be no different than running XP. So go ahead, buy a piece ofs**t paperweight from Apple and enjoy its lack of gaming.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Kirk Bowlby said:
I seem to recall the same type of conversations when xp launched, stick with 98 xp's crap. Vista's only been out for a week, gotta give it a chance...:)

You would think thats what people would do. But instead, they are flaming Vista because they basically cant support it which in turn, makes them "hate" M$. Like I keep saying, this is to be expected. Every OS from here on out is going to be BIGGER and require MORE. Its not going to get smaller. If the demand for features would slow down or if M$ gave the people a choice in what they wanted to see, then maybe just maybe it would make the OS a bit more skinny then it already is.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:32pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Andrew Wilson said:
Me and a friend have just run the Vista Upgrade tool. Both sets of results say that Nero has to be uninstalled before Vista can be installed. What's the big problem with NERO and can it be sorted? I would imagine that there are millions of NERO users out there who'll have to bin it if NERO is incompatible.
Regards
aw56001

Nero is NOT compatible as of yet. At least, Nero 6 wasn't. I am not sure about 7.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
ioneabee said:
I've got my 1st build with Vista next week and i'm getting very nervous

Why? What are the specs of the system?

Dublin_Gunner Feb 06, 2007, 02:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Daniel Ellis said:
So, tell me, how long have you been using Vista so as to have a valid opinion on the matter?

Who was that aimed at?

If it was me, I've been through the whole beta program, up to RC2 (so called, cant remember build number) and didnt try the other 1 or 2 before RTM, so I'd say I have a pretty good grasp of it.

When my copy arrives later this week, sure, I'll dual boot with XP on another partition for a while, because you, like with anything new, there will be bugs and incompatabilities to iron out.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Bitmap Feb 06, 2007, 02:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 06, 2007, 02:41pm EST

>> 
shaun magoon said:

Just a heads up, you picked the wrong place to boast on Apple's behalf. The majority of the veteran members here are PC users. :) And turn off your caps lock. No one likes a yeller.

I don't know why everyone dogs Vista. Really, it's a damn fine operating system. Sure it's a bit slower than Windows XP, but it's already been stated here that XP was slower than 2000, 98, etc. As hardware advances continue, software is going to demand more from the hardware. Also, think of this: what happens 3 years down the line when we're all running 8GB of RAM, 2.5GB video cards, and 5 GHz CPUs? Vista will make the slightest of dents in performance by then. Just wait it out.

Plus to all those gamers out there, you're not going to have an option here pretty soon, unless you plan on playing CounterStrike: Source and World of WarCraft for the rest of your lives. The latest and greatest games are going to require DirectX 10m which is only going to be available on Vista. Like I said, unless you plan to stick with the games we have now, you have no option. But you have no obligation to buy a copy of Vista Ultimate. Just grab a Copy of Home Premium, and you'll be set.

I want to state for the record, I'm sick of people bashing MS. The morons who state that Microsoft is bunch of idiots, and then go off to use your Windows XP, Microsoft Office, and listen to music on your Zune. Cut thats**t out, guys. Microsoft is on top because they make good products. If you're gonna bash Microsoft, follow it up by going strictly open source... or risk your life and buy an Apple.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Daniel Ellis said:
So, tell me, how long have you been using Vista so as to have a valid opinion on the matter?

Since the day it came out and I ran RC2 for about 2 weeks.

Its not that hard to trim the fat and disable the unneeded features of the OS.

Dave Feb 06, 2007, 02:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
If you don't like Vista, don't get it. "VISTA IS A COPY OF MAC OS LOL".... ok then, get MAC OS, evidently you won't mind having a useless OS.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Bobby Phillipps said:
shaun magoon said:

Just a heads up, you picked the wrong place to boast on Apple's behalf. The majority of the veteran members here are PC users. :) And turn off your caps lock. No one likes a yeller.

I don't know why everyone dogs Vista. Really, it's a damn fine operating system. Sure it's a bit slower than Windows XP, but it's already been stated here that XP was slower than 2000, 98, etc. As hardware advances continue, software is going to demand more from the hardware. Also, think of this: what happens 3 years down the line when we're all running 8GB of RAM, 2.5GB video cards, and 5 GHz CPUs? Vista will make the slightest of dents in performance by then. Just wait it out.

Plus to all those gamers out there, you're not going to have an option here pretty soon, unless you plan on playing CounterStrike: Source and World of WarCraft for the rest of your lives. The latest and greatest games are going to require DirectX 10m which is only going to be available on Vista. Like I said, unless you plan to stick with the games we have now, you have no option. But you have no obligation to buy a copy of Vista Ultimate. Just grab a Copy of Home Premium, and you'll be set.

I want to state for the record, I'm sick of people bashing MS. The morons who state that Microsoft is bunch of idiots, and then go off to use your Windows XP, Microsoft Office, and listen to music on your Zune. Cut thats**t out, guys. Microsoft is on top because they make good products. If you're gonna bash Microsoft, follow it up by going strictly open source... or risk your life and buy an Apple.

Here here *raises glass*

Daniel Ellis Feb 06, 2007, 02:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
to the two who replied me.. I havnt posted on these forums for awhile since ive been visiting THG forums alot, i thought that the names to whom i replied appeared in the message but i guess they dont.. I was replying to the vista haters who pout about things they dont even know :P

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 02:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Daniel Ellis said:
to the two who replied me.. I havnt posted on these forums for awhile since ive been visiting THG forums alot, i thought that the names to whom i replied appeared in the message but i guess they dont.. I was replying to the vista haters who pout about things they dont even know :P

Good man. :)

If you are going to hate vista at all, at least try it first. Then if you dont like it/hate it fine. At least you tried it. But dont try Vista with the expectations of hating it or saying "My software doesnt work" a lot of software doesnt work yet. Its a new OS, things will get ironed out.

Bitmap Feb 06, 2007, 03:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I'd like to start a poll.

If you haven't run a recent beta, release candidate, or actual release of Vista, you have no right to post your opinion of Vista here

If you haven't run the operating system yourself, you can have no opinion on what you think about the operating system, so stop posting rubbish.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Merc Feb 06, 2007, 03:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I haven't run Vista to date. I have several friends who have and none have lost their sanity, in fact most have said it is a pretty slick OS. That said, I have no intention of upgrading until some of the early problems are ironed out. I do have an 8800GTS so the DX10 thing will be a driving force for me but since Nvidia is having problems with their drivers I am not missing anything.

SP1 is underway already and hopefully will be out by spring. I would guess the whole driver mess will be mostly cleaned up by that time also. So, when I can find Vista Premium SP1 OEM on Newegg I'll order it up and load it.

Merc
Modified Lian Li PC 7077A
Dual Watercooling Loops
Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0404
Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3600MHz@1.46v)
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX Watercooled
2 GB Team Xtreme DDR2 800-PC6400
2 x 150gb WD in Raptors in RAID 0
1 x 640
CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 06, 2007, 03:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
SP1 is due by September I believe.

phil Feb 06, 2007, 04:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Bobby Phillipps said:

If you haven't run a recent beta, release candidate, or actual release of Vista, you have no right to post your opinion of Vista here

.. sounds like a solid idea ! :D

first off.. i haven't run vista .. have merely played with it for no more than 5mins. so: everything is after this sentance is up for debate, as it's been established i am no authority on Vista

1. yes vista, is a touch slower than XP. (as was xp, than 200.. etc) . but AFTER you've TRAINED vista and superfetch it's quite simply faster.

2. Yes (based on THG) Current directx 9 games run slower than on XP.. but who cares? .. personally i don't care about 120fps Vs 150fps in games i will soon be shelving in favour of titles like Haze and Crysis

3. Based again on THG , i found their OpenGL, and profesional graphic app benchmarks (the word benchmark is itailised for a reason) were VERY troubling, seeing anywhere from 20-90% decrease

4. Vista has many differences to XP, some of them bad.. some of them good.. for me i'm looking forward to my first vista install (one of many i hope) .. and yes, i'll even be trying a dual boot on my new design machine.. to try out for myself openGL performance for myself.

5. MAC's blow .. everytime i touch one: OSX/9 crashes.. or errors.. or can't even talk with other versions of itself.. or other MAC products end up being incompatible !!

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Bitmap Feb 06, 2007, 04:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
*raises glass to Phil*

________
Daniel Ellis Feb 06, 2007, 04:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Hey bobby, i have an xfire clan but the ppl i invite cant join, whats wrong? (if you can help, plz give me help)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.