Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 648 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s April 05 - 06:53pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / To Vista or not to Vista, that is the question?

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
phil Feb 07, 2007, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Re: To Vista or iojpl'

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
phil Feb 07, 2007, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: To Vista or iojpl'

---

Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 01:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 07, 2007, 01:52pm EST

>> 
Stuart Krivis said:
Ok, all you Microsoft cheerleaders are exactly right. I see there's no point in trying to discuss anything. :)

Why, because you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about?

Phil, what's wrong with your posting?

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Stuart K Feb 07, 2007, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Bobby Phillipps said:
Stuart Krivis said:
Ok, all you Microsoft cheerleaders are exactly right. I see there's no point in trying to discuss anything. :)

Why, because you're wrong and don't know what you're talking about?

You prove my point, sir.

ioneabee Feb 07, 2007, 02:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
ioneabee said:
I've got my 1st build with Vista next week and i'm getting very nervous

Why? What are the specs of the system?

system specs not an issue ie 1gb mem etc - its the software that worries me ie zonealarm, avg, dvd stuff etc

http://www.pembrokeshirecomputers.co.uk
http://www.sap-calculations.co.uk
Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 02:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I haven't tried ZoneAlarm, but I do know that AVG Free Anti-Virus works. I did have some trouble with AVG Anti-Spyware, though. :/

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
dark41 Feb 07, 2007, 02:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Neither AVG 7.5 free nor AVG 7.5 network edition work on any of our systems with Vista RC1/Business/Basic. While AVG 7.5 installs seemingly without error, it doesn't check nor verify email, which makes it basically useless.

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Odd. I had no troubles with AVG Free 7.5 With both RC1 and RC2. :/

________
NerdXcore Feb 07, 2007, 03:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I would love Vista and was hoping the free Vista upgrade with my new system was the answer
But unforunately its vista business edition and I wanted ultimate (greedy I know) and I just cant afford ultimate. I dont know a lot about Vista but wanted all the media functions etc. Is it just me who thinks MS is charging too much for the software.

SuPeR Xp Feb 07, 2007, 03:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I have no idea why people are going crazy for Vista. I would wait about one year at least from its original release date. Then you can buy a Vista Ultimate SP1 or something with better drivers & bug fixes.

I will stick with XP x64 for now.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 03:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I'll be picking up a copy of Ultimate upgrade with my tax money in April. :)

________
phil Feb 07, 2007, 03:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Bobby Phillipps said:

my keyboard broke.. (enter key is forever pushed down) :( R.I.P.

o well, i grabbed another from the pile...

on the topic of vista + anti virus , i know avast4 works with vista premium x64 .. i saw it, plus http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-antivirus-and-windows-vista.html
enjoy.

*puts on sarcasm hat..
as for the driver arguement... fine i give up.. we're all wrong.. microsoft should have never released Vista without providing both 64bit and 32 bit drivers for every product in existance... especailly since they failed to do so when XP was released.. and since then manufacturers have only released thousands more individual products.. shame on you microsoft shame for not providing drivers for the 6 million products availible at xp's launch.. and now the 100 million x2 at vista's launch

---

Scumbag Blues Feb 07, 2007, 05:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Stuart, you sound like a defeated Mac fan boy: say we are all wrong and everything we say supposedly "proves" your point.

I love Linux too but why bash Vista? I'm not saying Vista is great I'm just saying to give it the benefit of the doubt. You on the other hand, don't see it that way; a typical fan boy, regardless of education in PCs.

Up to date, YOU HAVE YET TO SAY WHY VISTA IS BAD. THAT IS YOUR POINT NULLIFIED SIR.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 05:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Phil, you and your sarcasm hat are my heroes. :_)

________
Daniel Ellis Feb 07, 2007, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
ioneabee said:
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
ioneabee said:

system specs not an issue ie 1gb mem etc - its the software that worries me ie zonealarm, avg, dvd stuff etc

AVG free actually has a Vista release so strike that off the incompatibility list, it works fine on my copy of vista ultimate.

Donmeister Feb 07, 2007, 07:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
dark41 said:
The question asked by Sander when starting this thread, was "how's your mileage thus far?"

That's what most of these replies are about. Personal experience. There are the few posts saying they will/won't upgrade and haven't tried it, but those are off topic replies as I see it.

Yeah true, but what's the subject of the thread??? To Vista or not to Vista? That's the question...

Specs and components in profile...
GtoX (capt Guns) Feb 07, 2007, 08:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
ok vista sounds interesting but not that interesting that id consider buying it... maybe id get a cracked version and try it out... im just annoyed about everyone here either talking sh*t about Vista or just saying its the best OS that ever came out... GUYS ITS A MIXED OPINION, its like sander said, for some itll work fine, for others it wont... id probably buy it, if it was more compatible with software/hardware, cheaper and also didnt have all these security features denying the pc user population the freedom of choice to install what they want, when they want... so basically i wont buy it.
I respect all that but what i dont like is the fact that microsoft makes stuff that will make them profit big bucks, as well as the hardware manufacturers... sure its called business and economics but when u obsolete all other MS systems, its like wiping out a human race, its like the Holocaust!!! (eufemism)
Ill do what most smart people have written in here: wait until 1 or 2 service packs are out, then ill consider buying it... why waste a good system that works fine on xp for a OS thatll require a bunch of money and then might or might not even work.. the choice is obvious people, use ure heads... :)

Main Rig--- 2700k @ 3.7ghz ,Scythe Samurai ZZ @ 54c load ASUS DCII GTX570 780mhz@64c load, P8P67-m Pro, 2x4gb xms3 1333mhz, 128gb SSD + 4x500gb lagring, OCZ Modxstream Pro 600watt, In-win Dragon Slayer 140mm+120+96mm,120mm
CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 07, 2007, 09:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
AVG Free works just fine with the 32-bit version. However, AVG Free IS NOT x64 compliant. I even emailed Grisoft about it and asked when (if at all) they were going to support x64 in the future. They said that support for x64 (of any kind) was one of the limitations of AVG Free. However, I have tried AVG Pro (30-day trial) and it IS x64 compatible and works 100% with Vista RC2 and the final release.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 07, 2007, 09:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
ioneabee said:
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
ioneabee said:

Then say that. :)

Zonealarm works fine in the 32-bit envirionment, so does AVG. Tell me what programs worry you and I will see if I can provide answers.

SuPeR Xp Feb 07, 2007, 09:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Beware being ripped by Vista hardware scams

Will your hardware be supported?
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37480

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.