Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 5107 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s April 04 - 07:55am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / To Vista or not to Vista, that is the question?

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Bitmap Feb 07, 2007, 09:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> 
Super XP just posted an Inquirer article that bore truth!

And we all knew this was going to happen. To be honest, I was surprise Vista supported my D-Link wireless G adapter. :P There's going to be a lot of hardware out there that isn't immediately Vista-compatible, but that surprises me that that company is actually not going to support Vista for their hardware. :/

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
dark41 Feb 07, 2007, 10:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
I retract my earlier assessment of AVG 7.5 Free edition. After running the update last night, now 2 of the 5 Vista Basic systems work fine. The other 3 must still have some sort of conflict with the OS. 4 of the 5 systems using AVG 7.5 Network edition on Vista Business now also work correctly.

So I update my previous post from "AVG 7.5 does not work with Vista" to: AVG 7.5 is still a hit or miss situation with Vista. However they seem to be on the ball about fixing the existing problems as quickly as possible. :)

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
ioneabee Feb 08, 2007, 05:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
ioneabee said:
CrAsHnBuRnXp said:
ioneabee said:
I've got my 1st build with Vista next week and i'm getting very nervous

Why? What are the specs of the system?

system specs not an issue ie 1gb mem etc - its the software that worries me ie zonealarm, avg, dvd stuff etc

Then say that. :)

Zonealarm works fine in the 32-bit envirionment, so does AVG. Tell me what programs worry you and I will see if I can provide answers.

Nero, Power DVD 5, photoshop elements, zonealarm, avg, adobe pdf etc etc

http://www.pembrokeshirecomputers.co.uk
http://www.sap-calculations.co.uk
dark41 Feb 08, 2007, 09:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Nero 7 works with Vista. Nero 6 OEM does not. You can upgrade from Nero 6 to 7 for $67USD, or buy Nero 7 stand alone for $80USD. Nero's home page:
http://www.nero.com/ena/index.html

Zone Alarm is not currently supporting Vista. Reports of bugs and failed installations are numerous. The only user I've seen report that it works is on this forum. I haven't tried installing it on our systems yet. Their forum does have a few threads on the subject.
Zone Alarm Pro system requirements:
http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_lis...sp?frame=6

AVG is currently working on compatibility with Vista. There are a few bugs at the moment, but will probably be resolved soon. AVG Free Edtition system requirements:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

PowerDVD is not currently supported for Vista. Some users report few errors, while others report severe problems. PowerDVD system requirements:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/system_re...ements.jsp

Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0 supports and works on Vista. Adobe 8.0 system requirements:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/acrrsystemreqs.html

I haven't played around with Photoshop much yet. I assume it'll work but can't verify either way.

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Gerritt Feb 08, 2007, 06:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Thanks Dark, you've been one of the few that actually posted usable differentual data on adoptation of Vista in either of its 32 or 64 bit multi-versions.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
CrAsHnBuRnXp Feb 08, 2007, 10:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Adobe 8 was made for vista. You can tell that just from their new interface. :)

I think Adobe 7 works to. I cant remember if I installed it or not.

Feb 10, 2007, 05:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
As for Photoshop, CS2 itself works just fine, there is however a minor bug with Aero. The latest patch didn't solve it, but I'd bet that CS3 will (I haven't played around with the beta).

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Feb 10, 2007, 06:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
who uses Adobe Reader anymore, Foxit Soft is way to go, extremely small footprint.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
dark41 Feb 10, 2007, 06:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
It's all good.

A few other things to note:

Logitech Quick Cam is not supported and probably won't be.

While 2003 Small Business Server works with some effort, the normal setup procedures via server/connectcomputer don't work. Exchange seems fine.

Microsoft's own Office Updates does not support Vista. Go figure.

Creative Zen Nomad Jukebox (MP3 player) does not work with Vista and probably never will.

HD audio doesn't work correctly but probably will at some point in time.

Foxit Reader does not support Vista.
http://soft.manboo.info/archives/foxit-reader-portable-v20-for-windows.html

Madden NFL '07 doesn't work properly with Vista. Everything is fine until you have to kick an extra point or field goal. Then the audio keeps going but the video freezes.

Same situation with V8 Supercars 3. At the first corner the car stops while the sound keeps going. I have a lot more games to test this week.

Every day I learn more things that don't work as advertised or are advertised to never work. How many reasons does a person need to justify not liking Vista? ;)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
phil Feb 10, 2007, 11:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 10, 2007, 11:41am EST

>> 
dark41, those aren't reasons to not like vista.. those are reasons to not like logitech and EA ..

.. when i made the switch over to XP x64 my quick cams wern't supported, so i gave them away.. aftwards, i found a 3rd party driver that lets them work kperfectly fine..
.. logitech just wants you to spend more money, if you cannot find a new driver, buy a different brand. i've stopped buying logitech cams, and i've sent them an email telling them why.

and well, EA... huh.. enough said, EA is not known for publishing properly coded games, either take it back to the store, or keep it and wat for a patch.

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
NerdXcore Feb 10, 2007, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
And why are we brits paying almost double what the Americans are paying.Please dont say exchange rates.

Gerritt Feb 10, 2007, 07:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Airman01,
You're confusing Adobe Acrobat with Acrobat Reader.
With Acrobat the issue is with the print to PDF function, which requires a printer driver.
Under Acrobat 7.xx the only drivers were 32 bit versions, which will not work with XP 64 or Vista 64. A full version upgrade is necessary.
I am also unaware of any conduit available for the PALM line of PDAs that work in a XP or Vista 64 bit environment. If anyone knows of one, please let me know.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
dark41 Feb 10, 2007, 08:25pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Phil,
I listed 2 MS programs that are not fully compatible with their new OS, and the most popular onboard sound system on the market today.

No, this is more than 3rd party driver issues. And for the record, these games perform flawlessly on XP so its not as simple as poorly written code either.

Carl,
Its not just the Brits. Ozzies are paying $750 for a stand alone retail version of Ultimate. I've heard all the arguements about import taxes and exchange rate, but it just doesn't fly. Our (system builders) OEM rates are considerably cheaper, in fact along the same lines as XP. Too bad we can't just sell them without components. The cost of a computer to support Ultimate just doubled as well. As I've said before, I doubt many people will rush to upgrade simply because of the expense, as everyone wants a bargain these days. MS's loss. :)

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Gerritt Feb 10, 2007, 09:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Dark41, Carl,

As a past OEM for MS products I've seen a 75-95% price break for past MS products.
Here in the US in order to qualify for OEM pricing you have to order a intrinsic piece of HARDWARE along with the OS to qualify for the OEM pricing.
So when I ordered XP64 OEM, I also ordered a Mylex power pigtail (cost less than $2.95).
I don't know if this works in the UK or AU, but it works here.
These price breaks don't seem to be as high right now on Vista, but it's worth looking into for your local vendors. newegg.com does support the OEM pricing structure through additional HW on the same order.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
dark41 Feb 11, 2007, 05:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Gerritt,
In AU as a system builder I can buy OEM versions without additional hardware. However we have to sell 3 pieces of hardware along with an OEM version, although the 3 pieces are up to our discretion.

Our prices are actually a bit cheaper than newegg.com for OEM versions, which is a LONG ways from retail prices.

Last I knew Newegg did not ship internationally. Otherwise I'd be using them for other hardware (EG: video cards). I'd about break even if customs caught the order and did their damage, but come out way ahead if it slid past. ;)

Office '03 and Outlook/Exchange seem to work fine with Vista.

Warcraft III does not work.

Civilization IV is next on the test agenda.

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
SuPeR Xp Feb 11, 2007, 05:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
dark41 Feb 11, 2007, 06:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 

EX38-DS5
Corsair HX620W
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
G5, Antec 1200
Gerritt Feb 12, 2007, 07:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 
Like I've said many times before, the primary issue that I have is not necessarily with Vista but with MS x64 products. Checkpoint still doesn't seem to make a x64 MS compiant VPN adapter, or if it does, it is for Vista only...I'm still waiting my Vista upgrade...
Gerrritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
phil Feb 15, 2007, 08:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 15, 2007, 08:25pm EST

>> 
keeping with the x64 theme, it should be noted that the microsoft vista Hardware compatiblity wizard, and Software/application hardware wizard do not work with 64bit XP.

and vista x64 cannot be applied as an upgrade to xp x64, it must be a clean install. and as a result needs 15gb partition minimum to install.

-
Vista also randomly uses your system RAM and may find memory faults that XP didn't expose.. resulting in random crashes from previously thought to be good RAM.
.. M$ haters will obviosly be quick to say it's vista's fault.. it's a sucurity feature.. and really, it's old or poorly manufactured RAM.. i say OLD as RAM (especailly if overclocked past specs) will develop faults... let's just say, if you're/ or have been running your RAM beyond manufacture's spec. you're about to encouter the random blue screen plague.. im replacaing RAM as we speak.

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Dean Meersman Mar 14, 2007, 07:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> 

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.