Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 953 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 28 - 05:55am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Networking / Wireless /

sky/ tiscali 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
darren baker Feb 20, 2007, 05:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List Replies: 3 - Views: 3949
hi my mat gave me a sky broudband modem and i try to put it on mine computer and im on tiscali so im asking is there any way that i can get that sky to work with tiscali.co.uk ?

Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ecosse Feb 20, 2007, 07:18am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Feb 20, 2007, 07:19am EST

>> Re: sky/ tiscali
I'm guessing that router will be configured by Sky to only "dial" into their servers using a current Sky username & password.

If you have a tiscali username/password and account, I can't see this working without reconfiguring the modem.

More trouble than it's worth with a company configured and maybe locked down router I'd say.

Ecosse

Specs here > > > > > http://tinyurl.com/ecosse08
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
SiB Feb 20, 2007, 08:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The sky router is configured to its Sky settings like Ecosse said, but you can reconfigure the router. However doing so will cause you to break Terms and Conditions of the sky contract.

"Look up for inspiration, down for concentration but donít look side to side for information"
SiB Mar 06, 2007, 02:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes you can configure the Sky router to work on tiscali. I've done it myself.

What you need to get is the firmware file (1.02.04) and the Recovery utility from this website:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/dg834gt.asp (as the router a Netgear DG834GT)

1) Unzip the Recovery utility files, now you should have a folder called "DG834 Recovery Utility".
2) Into this folder place/download the firmware file "dg834gt_1_02_04.img".
3) Once you have them files ready you plug the router up to your pc via ethernet cable and port
4) Make sure your computers on
5) Don't plug in the power cable into the router but keep it close by
6) In the back of the router there is a little pin hole put a pencil/pen/pin in and hold it down (whilst the router is unpowered and pluged up to the pc)
7) Whilst holding down the reset pin plug the power into the router
8) Your router should be flashing Green, Orange, Green, Orange... (like a police car)
9) This means the router is ready to be flashed.
10) Now go into the Recovery utility you downloaded and launch RmDrv.exe and leave it running in the background
11) Now launch UpgradeWizard.exe
12) In the application choose the Ethernet port that the routers connected to.
13) Select the router and let it flash.
14) Once the flashing is complete you can close RmDrv.exe and UpgradeWizard.exe
15) Now the routers is yours and you can configure it, to do so open your browser and type in: 192.168.0.1 (remember this, as this is the IP you enter to enter your router)
16) You will need a password and username to log in which are by default:
username: admin
password: password
17) Once logged in iyou can configure the router. Select manual configuration and configure the router for tiscali, which would be like so:

Does your Internet Require a login: Yes
Encapsulation : PPPoA (PPP over ATM)
Login: xxx@tiscali.co.uk (your tiscali email/username)
Password: xxxx (your tiscali password)
Idle Timeout: 0
Domain Name Server (DNS) Address:
Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS: 212.74.112.66
Secondary DNS: 212.74.112.67
NAT: Enabled

Click "apply", and then "test"

Now your basic configuration to the router is complete. Hope this helps!

"Look up for inspiration, down for concentration but donít look side to side for information"

Write a Reply >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.