Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1420 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 17 - 05:26am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

Time zone preferences. (Was: Scheduled Downtime) 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
leastcmplicated Mar 16, 2007, 09:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 09:04am EDT

>> Re: Time zone preferences. (Was: Scheduled Downtime)
When I change my time zone to Eastern Australia I see this:

Mar 16, 2007, 22:32 ChST

When its my time zone I see this

Mar 16, 2007, 9:03 EDT

I dont see the confusion. :|

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Josh Mar 16, 2007, 09:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
McFly said:
Um, sunsets over the rest of the country? Whooppee ... :rollseyes:
While you guys are getting up and going to work, I'm still snoozin'. I guess if you're a morning person (gahhh) who likes sub-quality sunsets, then the EST/EDT is for you. :P

Unless you live less than a mile from lake Michigan, on the Michigan side, like what I do.
We get those beautiful sunsets, too.
Just goes to show, the west ain't all it's made out be. We've got everything over here in the east ;) ;)

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
Michel Merlin Mar 16, 2007, 10:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Please submit your changes to RFC (Request For Comments) 2822
leastcmplicated Fri 16 Mar 2007 13:03 GMT: « I dont see the confusion ».

Fortunately each confusion doesn't happen systematically in each message. Yet confusions do happen often enough (as Brendan's case recalled) that such questions have been discussed by thousands for a century at least, concluding that some standardization was necessary, as GMT, then UT, and RFC 2822 (as well as English language in Sea and Air Traffic). If you have better thoughts about it, please report and submit changes to RFC 2822 ("Request For Comments" 2822).

Versailles, Fri 16 Mar 2007 15:25:00 +0100

Vitaliy (Administrator) Mar 16, 2007, 10:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brendan Falvey said:
I am still not clear which EST since in Australia has an EST also I hope the server knows better.

The server does know better - your timezone choice isn't based on its name.

Vitaliy (Administrator) Mar 16, 2007, 10:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 10:43am EDT

Michel Merlin said:
Brendan, your case is one more example of what I said in my sitepoint link ("...TZ and TOG..." ): Time Zones (as "EST" ) are unstandardized, unordered, hence ambiguous and misleading, this is why RFC 2822 forces to use TOG, not TZ. For instance in New York:

Michel,

We heard your suggestion about using RFC 2822 format the first time you mentioned it. We are not going to implement it, because, like I said, it has no relevance to our website and our forums.

If you have any other suggestions feel free to post them, but bringing up RFC 2822 in this context just makes you a troll.

Michel Merlin Mar 16, 2007, 11:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Please don't troll
Vitaliy 14:39 GMT: « bringing up RFC 2822 in this context just makes you a troll »

My posts are right on the subject, "Time zone preferences". Of the 35 first, 4 were useful (of which 1 from you), 31 were an useless diversion (started by you), my 1st one was the #36, and proposed a hardly disputable improvement. And you call *me*, instead of you, "a troll"?

Insults don't make for arguments. If you have some (arguments) for forking from standards as RFC 2822, please tell them. Please address the questions at stake, reply to the ones who do - and don't call them "troll" in place of the ones who are. I did notice (and admit and understand) that you don't want to comply with standard in this case, if you don't provoke I wouldn't need to reply.

Thanks to anyone with any positive or useful reply.

Versailles, Fri 16 Mar 2007 16:16:30 +0100

Michael A. Mar 16, 2007, 11:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michel Merlin said:
Vitaliy 14:39 GMT: « bringing up RFC 2822 in this context just makes you a troll »

My posts are right on the subject, "Time zone preferences". Of the 35 first, 4 were useful (of which 1 from you), 31 were an useless diversion (started by you), my 1st one was the #36, and proposed a hardly disputable improvement. And you call *me*, instead of you, "a troll"?

Insults don't make for arguments. If you have some (arguments) for forking from standards as RFC 2822, please tell them. Please address the questions at stake, reply to the ones who do - and don't call them "troll" in place of the ones who are. I did notice (and admit and understand) that you don't want to comply with standard in this case, if you don't provoke I wouldn't need to reply.

You're on the fast track to getting yourself banned, dude.

You were politely informed that RFC 2822 is not of use to Hardware Analysis after which you immediately accused our website administrator of attacking you:

Vitaliy, these questions have been discussed by plenty people (including W3C) for decades, and I don't believe you for a second when you are faking to misunderstand that bad ; you are obviously part of the coordinate attack going on against me to prevent me from posting anything useful (that sort of pollution showing wherever, whenever, however, whatever I post - just see e.g. my 2nd link). Please for once, read and reply, or don't pollute more. If you want to prove there is no coordinated action against me, it's simple: you just let the topic going on the subject. TIA,

You flatter yourself, we have better things to do than conspire against website members, especially new ones. Your participation here is welcome, but not if you're going to base it around arguing with the staff.

In other words, svp arręt. I am trying to be reasonable here and it's nothing personal. Please understand that debating with the staff over a decision that has already been made will go nowhere. If you have other suggestions, they are gladly welcomed.

Michael A.
Michel Merlin Mar 16, 2007, 11:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sorry if I disturbed
I didn't want to disturb - my posts were carefully written in the opposite goal. If you want I don't post, so be it.

Versailles, Fri 16 Mar 2007 16:41:05 +0100

Michael A. Mar 16, 2007, 11:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michel Merlin said:
I didn't want to disturb - my posts were carefully written in the opposite goal. If you want I don't post, so be it.

Versailles, Fri 16 Mar 2007 16:41:05 +0100

I never said I didn't want you to post. What I said was that I wanted you to not argue with the staff regarding RFC 2822 as at this time the decision as been made to not implement it.

Maybe sometime in the future this will change, but as this site is in American English, we do things the American way. Not the European way, not the French way, not the way that 90% of the world does: the American way.

We don't use the metric system either. :)

Michael A.
Dave Mar 16, 2007, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I feel GMT is being under represented :-(.

Michel Merlin Mar 16, 2007, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Thread has been modified after posting - Good Bye!
Michael Adames said:
I never said I didn't want you to post.
You did say:
which, being posted after my posts that were carrying more stuff and less bloat than the ~35 before, was (and still is) clearly a threat to ban me on arbitrary pretext. Which in turn clearly amounts to deciding I can't post any more. For instance I can't dare post the replies that otherwise would be mandatory (and 100% on topic) to your writings about world wide, metric system, etc.

In addition the 2 posts before (15:31 GMT) and after (15:43 GMT) mine (15:40 GMT) have been edited after 15:40, sans logging these edits. Thus readers (including me) can't trust anymore what they see - which makes posting here irrelevant - at least as long as technically informed, accurate and carefully checked messages are concerned.

I wish you a happy forum.

Versailles, Fri 16 Mar 2007 18:00:00 +0100

leastcmplicated Mar 16, 2007, 01:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow, that was fun... woo

Mar 16, 2007, 03:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 03:24pm EDT

What the heck was all that ^ ?

Josh Mar 16, 2007, 06:04am PDT
Unless you live less than a mile from lake Michigan, on the Michigan side, like what I do.
We get those beautiful sunsets, too.
Just goes to show, the west ain't all it's made out be. We've got everything over here in the east

Oh, come now. That's nothing more than a glorified puddle. Hardly compares to the Pacific Ocean. :_)

Brendan Falvey Mar 16, 2007, 04:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Seems every one knows about time zones and seem we all had something to learn. Vitaly makes the point we are bound through the

Michael do not take offence I was having a bit of fun before going to bed with all the EST, PDT MST and STDs being thrown around Iadded mine for a stir. I am sure we all appreciate the immense amount of work you and other moderators put in alongside Sander.

just one question whats wrong with metrics technical calculations become much simpler. Many if not all books on physics many written in the US are in metrics. In Oz we converted some 30 years ago and my traing spanned the change so I can compare the difference. Anyway the piece of string is still the same length which everway you measure it

CrAsHnBuRnXp Mar 16, 2007, 09:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 09:41pm EDT

Michel Merlin said:
Michael Adames said:
You did say:
which, being posted after my posts that were carrying more stuff and less bloat than the ~35 before, was (and still is) clearly a threat to ban me on arbitrary pretext. Which in turn clearly amounts to deciding I can't post any more. For instance I can't dare post the replies that otherwise would be mandatory (and 100% on topic) to your writings about world wide, metric system, etc.

In addition the 2 posts before (15:31 GMT) and after (15:43 GMT) mine (15:40 GMT) have been edited after 15:40, sans logging these edits. Thus readers (including me) can't trust anymore what they see - which makes posting here irrelevant - at least as long as technically informed, accurate and carefully checked messages are concerned.

Heh. Your quite the funny person. Its funny how you are trying to turns**t around on Michael and make it sound like he is the bad guy when in actuality, he is not. What he said was quote:
That is meaning just that. He NEVER said that he didn't want you to post. However, what would be getting you banned is the lack of respect that you are showing for the staff and the rest of the community. That is what would get you banned. That being said, you are still free to post and are welcomed to do so.

None of the forum moderators (which include Michael, Chris McNally, Vitaily, Sander Sassen, or myself) edit and or alter any message in anyway unless it includes one or more of the following: flaming, cursing, airing personal info about another forum member, spam, harassment, and anything and everything that you find here http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/about_us/fair_use_policy/

here http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/56982/

here http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35559/

and here http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35617/

Other than that, we do not touch anyones post and or thread and you clearing stating the opposite shows that you do not trust this site and more than likely should not be a part of this site. If all you are going to do is cause trouble, we do not want you. For the record, this is not me stating that I want you to leave or that you should leave. All I am saying is follow the rules and what us mods tell you to do (if you violate a rule of course) and you will be fine. You are free to post what you want within the boundaries of the FUP. You can ask any member of this site what you want about "altered" posts and they will pretty much tell you what I have told you right here. In actuality, it would be like that in any forum you went to. Any moderator has the ability to alter posts, BUT, they do not do so unless they see fit. The whole part of being a moderator is being able to be trusted. I for one do not break that trust and neither does any of the other forum moderators or system administrators for that fact. So do NOT accuse us of false accusations for their CAN BE repercussions.

EDIT: For the record, you are the only one who seems to have a problem with this. If anything, that "standard" that you are talking about confuses me even more than what is already implemented.

Adam Kolak Mar 16, 2007, 09:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Damn time zone nerds.

Trying to change topic: So how about that R600 eh?

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Adam Kolak Mar 16, 2007, 09:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't even understand what your arguing about. I really just don't get it. The site use to be EST only which was fine with me. I have a clock down in the corner of my screen, and so does everyone else, no matter what OS you run, whether its Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD, or the unstable but cool OS that you and your nerdy friend Johnny from programming class made in your free time. Look at the darn clock to tell time. Or hell get a freaking watch man.

It's not even your website, so why are you complaining about the time thing on this website. Honestly no one besides you gives a flying turd about the time in the top of HWA. I never even look at it. Nor do I care what time zones and crap they use.

There are people from all over the world on this website, and no one has ever complained about this crap besides you.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Brendan Falvey Mar 16, 2007, 10:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just goes to show that because it is something we all understand we get involved and we all have an opinion.

Time zones are not normally an earthshaking topic for most unless you happen to be on the end of a GPS guide weapon when it lands. lets get some fun into things since the spyware and virus idiots have taken a lot of fun out of computers.

Heard a story one time a I will call them a high powered management committee meeting to discuss business quickly rolled over multi millon dollar decisions on technical systems that they didnt really understand but became bogged down on a few thousand to refurbish the parking lot because they all "understood" parking lots and had an opinion.

Bitmap Mar 16, 2007, 11:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2007, 11:37pm EDT

Michel Merlin said:
Michael Adames said:
You did say:

Honestly, I want to know what the hell your problem is with the current timezone options? Honestly, I see nothing wrong with them. Then again, I'm in the United States, but I'll bet if I were in Europe or any other part of the world, I wouldn't care. I'd just learn to read a watch.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
leastcmplicated Mar 16, 2007, 11:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I see his point, and he did have a right to offer it as a suggestion (as we all offer our suggestions, it is the suggestion thread) but he should have a dropped it after his opinion was addressed. Either way, the point is moot since he has (or said he has) left. We can all go back to worshipping the EDT in all its glory ;)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.