Please register or login. There are 1 registered and 1458 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 30 - 05:14pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

Global Warming? Big Fat HOAX? Yes or No? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>
Josh May 02, 2007, 12:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Global Warming? Big Fat HOAX? Yes or No?
DsL.Dilbert said:
What I don't get is how you can deny that throwing millions of tons of Carbon Dioxide, Nitrous Oxide, Water Vapour and Methane into the atmosphere WON'T have an effect on the Earth? These all act as a shielding for heat

Couldn't have said it better myself. Those gases are actually shielding heat from coming to the earth (shielding the heat from the sun).:O

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.
AMD Phenom 9850 || DFI Lanparty 790FX-M2RS || 8GB OCZ Platinum || XFX 7900GS XT ||
Check eBay computerman_89
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept May 02, 2007, 04:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 04:34am EDT

http://explorenorth.com/library/weekly/aa121799.htm
It seems likely that the name "Greenland" was given to the country, not just as wishful thinkful, but because it was a climatic fact at that time.

"Seems likely," not to sure of themselves, are they? Also notice the use of a word that doesn't exist: "thinkful."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_the_Red#Discoveries
According to the Saga of Eric the Red, he spent his three years of exile exploring this land. He named this land "Greenland" because he wanted to attract other people to it. The first winter he spent on the island of Eiriksey, the second winter he passed in Eiriksholmar (close to Hvarfsgnipa). In the final summer he explored as far north as Snaefell and in to Hrafnsfjord.

When Eric returned to Iceland after his term of banishment had expired, he brought with him stories of "Groenland". Eric purposely gave the land a more appealing name than "Iceland" in order to lure potential settlers. He explained, "people would be attracted to go there if it had a favourable name". Ultimately he did this, though, to gain favor among people, as he knew full well that the success of any settlement in Greenland would need the support of as many people as possible. His salesmanship proved successful, as many people (especially "those Vikings living on poor land in Iceland" and those that had suffered a "recent famine") became convinced that Greenland held great opportunity.

Pick up any accredited text book and you'll something similar.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/gl.html
Greenland, the world's largest island, is about 81% ice-capped.

Not much to consider "green," eh? Greenland has been white since man walked on this planet. That's why it was never successfully settled until just before 1000 AD and why it still has a very weak economy. It's more formidable there than much of Alaska and Siberia.

john albrich May 02, 2007, 04:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 04:08pm EDT

From a 2005 report on Mt. Nyiragongo, just one volcano:
The satellite identifies the gas as sulfur dioxide, SO2, the primary cause of acid rain. And Nyiragongo is producing more than any place in the world, up to 50,000 tons per day. That's more than the amount produced by all power plants, factories and cars in the United States.

From expert volcanologist Dr. Stanley Williams:
We know of at least 1,500 ACTIVE volcanoes (on the surface of) the world. That is a big increase from the number that we used to think was correct. It means that more people are searching the earth for them. A graph of the number of volcanoes of the world shows that it goes up just about as fast as the number of people on the earth does.
----------------------------------------------------------------
I would estimate the ocean contains 10,000 volcanoes! We just don't have much chance to see them because they are hidden away!
----------------------------------------------------------------
The most important gas (emitted by volcanoes) is water, and then carbon dioxide. Sulfur dioxide, hydrogen chloride, and hydrogen fluoride are emitted, as well.

David May 02, 2007, 05:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I dont realy think this is thread is heading anywhere fast...

At the end of the day, world temperatures are barely as warm as those in the medieval warm period. Also, with the recovery from the temperature drop which followed this (upto 0.8 degree drop), temperatures are expected to rise.

As part of the earths natural cycle...

I think we should be looking into solar activity if we want to find the cause...

David.

Have a Nice Day :)
FordGT90Concept May 02, 2007, 11:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Greenhouse gasses let infrared (aka heat) waves in but tend to not let it escape. Heat in and no heat out results in a warmer temperature. Yes, very elementary.

Bungle May 02, 2007, 02:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 02:51pm EDT

Brendan Gonsalves said:
It is a know fact, that the ozone layer is able to mend itself over time and could technically reduce the effects of global warming. However this is far from reality since humans are depleting the ozone layer (with release of greenhouse gases) faster the ozone can mend itself. Some people still believe that the ozone is capable of mending itself despite the fact that humans are releasing such large amounts of greenhouse gases. They believe that the ozone will take care of itself and there is no need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It is quite a risky preposition to sit back and hope the ozone replenishes itself as time passes.

Not true. You obviously don't know what the ozone layer is.

The ozone layer acts as a shield from ultraviolet rays, the depletion of the ozone layer is caused by the release of CFC's into the atmosphere. The last time there was this mass hysteria was when i was in grade school in the late 80's and we were all going to die of skin cancer because our mom's used too much hair spray and it was killing the ozone layer.

and now you see we are making ozone with our *evil* cars.

from howstuffworks.com: chemicals in car exhaust and chemicals produced by some industries react with light to produce lots of ozone at ground level. In cities, the ozone level can rise to a point where it becomes hazardous to our health.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question162.htm

Now there is too much ozone.

Besides that ultraviolet rays are on the other end of the spectrum from infared light (which you feel as heat) if you want to cool something down filter out the infared not the ultra violet. Ozone has exactly jack to do with this debate. Carbon dioxide emissions are creating ozone NOT depeting it.

The fact is that the climate is so complicated that we don't have the computer power to model it correctly, the effects the the most prevalent green house gas (water vapor) are always left out of climate models because we don't fully understand its effects. 300 years of data (arguably sketechy) is not enough to fully know what is going on. People have been duped into assuming that the warming is caused by mankind when in reality we have no idea, so they make assumptions based on incomplete data.

The earth was far warmer then it is today in the distant past. At the end of the age of the dinosaurs the planet was 18 -27 degrees wamer then it is now, and according to the fossil record they didn't even have any cars or factories.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
B May 02, 2007, 04:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jim H said:

There is too much ozone in the troposphere and not enough in stratospheric ozone layer.

What don't you understand?

B May 02, 2007, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In regards to the Ozone possibly being able to mend itself.

Source: https://www.ec.gc.ca/ozone/DOCS/KIDZONE/EN/guardearth.cfm

"You may be wondering what will happen to the ozone layer if we stop using CFCs and Halons.

Scientists tell us that the ozone layer will slowly mend itself if all countries soon stop producing and using chemicals that damage the ozone layer. However, we said before that these chemicals can stay up in the atmosphere for as long as 100 years. Therefore, although we will soon stop using them, the chemicals already in the atmosphere will probably continue damaging the ozone layer for many years to come. Scientists think the ozone layer will not be completely mended before the middle of the next century."

john albrich May 02, 2007, 04:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 05:15pm EDT

Yet another politician (and there are many) that seems to be telling us "do what I say and not what I do".

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ys8yg6
Clinton, who has warned against global warming from the stump and hyped the need for alternative energy such as ethanol, burned through thousands of gallons of jet fuel swooping along the campaign trail - and it's not clear why she sent an EMPTY plane to wait for her in South Carolina then flew a different jet from Washington the next day

One report says it's because she didn't think the Gulfstream II private jet was upscale enough and wanted a GS III.

edit to fix typo

Adam Kolak May 02, 2007, 04:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You guys are ALL WRONG!

Global Warming is caused by the lack of Pirates in the modern world!

Take a look at this graph:

Based on this graph you can tell that the amount of pirates has reduced considerably over the last 200 years. At the same time, the number of Global Average Temperature has risen. This direct correlation shows that the average global temperature's rise is a direct effect of the reduction of the amount of pirates in the world.

Here is a quote from a well known scientific genius proving what I said above:
You may be interested to know that global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s.

So there you have it folks. We need more Pirates in the world to help fight off global warming! Do your part.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Bitmap May 02, 2007, 04:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John Holloway said:
Hmm back to elementary science class for you my friend. LOL

*sigh*

Thread cleaned up.

John, personal attacks are not tolerated on Hardware Analysis.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Bungle May 02, 2007, 05:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brendan Gonsalves said:
Jim H said:

There is too much ozone in the troposphere and not enough in stratospheric ozone layer.

regardless the ozone layer is not connected to global warming, separate issues.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
B May 02, 2007, 05:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 05:19pm EDT

Jim H said:
Brendan Gonsalves said:
Jim H said:

They are separate issues however they are related to one another.

-some chlorofluorocarbons, trap heat and destroy the ozone layer. Currently, these gases are responsible for less than 10 percent of total atmospheric warming, far less than the contribution from the main greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide.

-the ozone layer traps heat, so if it gets destroyed, the upper atmosphere actually cools, thereby offsetting part of the warming effect of other heat-trapping gases. However the cooling of the upper layers of the atmosphere can produce changes in the climate that affect weather patterns in the higher latitudes.

-trapping heat in the lower part of the atmosphere allows less heat to escape into space and leads to cooling of the upper part of the atmosphere. The colder it gets, the greater the destruction of the protective ozone layer.

SuPeR Xp May 02, 2007, 06:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jim H said:
Brendan Gonsalves said:
Jim H said:

I agree. When the world became very warm 1000's of years ago, did it have depleting Ozone? NO, it did not. Pollution has nothing to do with the earths temperatures. The earth is going through a cycle of time.

This is all hype & Marketing. These Global Warming push overs are trying to shove all this down everybody’s throats.

They would rather Canada go Bankrupt so long as “they” get there way with Global Warming.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Bitmap May 02, 2007, 06:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
See, Super, the problem is, now we do have a depleting ozone.

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
FordGT90Concept May 02, 2007, 07:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 08:12pm EDT

S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
I agree. When the world became very warm 1000's of years ago, did it have depleting Ozone?

Ozone has nothing to do with temperature and everything to do with how bad your sun burn gets.

On a side note, I don't think volcanic activity can actually be blamed as the cause of global warming. In fact, it may be thanked for holding global warming at bay. Volcanoes, due to the release of ash and sulfur dioxide, cause a drop in temperatures globally, not an increase--a phenomena known as a "volcanic winter":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volcanic_winter#Recent_cases_of_v...nic_winter
Most recently, the 1991 explosion of Mount Pinatubo, another stratovolcano, in the Philippines cooled global temperatures for about 2-3 years, interrupting the trend of global warming which had been evident since about 1970.

This is why there's so many questions to the cause. It's abnormal which leads to the conclusion that humans are responsible. The other theory is ocean currents but, in any case, we aren't helping the planet from getting hotter.

SuPeR Xp May 02, 2007, 08:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 08:30pm EDT

Well, here in Canada, this Global Warming is becoming ridiculously stupid because these extremists are now calling people that do not see it there way Global Warming Terrorists. LOL,

Now, tell me is this a professional thing to say?

Every time they are proven wrong by Professor’s of environmental technology & science, these fanatics call him a liar & start rumors that the Gas companies are paying them off to say such a thing.

It is one thing to care about our environment which I greatly do, and another thing to just flat out lie & force ones believe onto others. I just laugh at these fanatics LOL, just because nobody else sees it there way i.e.: the wrong way LOL.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
FordGT90Concept May 02, 2007, 08:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Do back up those statements. One or two professors doesn't explain why the rest of them are saying the opposite. Remember, the degree is only as good as the accreditation the institute possesses. If it isn't accredited, their opinion is worth about as much as sand in a desert.

If you really cared about the environment, you'd be doing everything you can to prevent the advance of global warming, whatever the cause. I'm thinking that statement makes you a hypocrite.

Scumbag Blues May 02, 2007, 09:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It is too much of a coincidence that the global atmospheric temperatures began to increase at the dawn of industrial age. It is also too much of a coincidence that we've had rapid atmospheric temperature increases within a span of 100 years which is NOT natural. Yes, the Earth does go through cooling and heating periods... in spans of thousands of years not centuries.

Again, Global Warming has been shot out of proportion by certain groups but it was brought up before them and is a real problem.

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
john albrich May 02, 2007, 10:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 02, 2007, 10:59pm EDT

Vulcanism causes both cooling and warming.

FordGT90Concept said:
...I don't think volcanic activity can actually be blamed as the cause of global warming. In fact, it may be thanked for holding global warming at bay. Volcanoes, due to the release of ash and sulfur dioxide, cause a drop in temperatures globally, not an increase--a phenomena known as a "volcanic winter"...

Among other things, it depends where the volcano is and whether the gasses are ejected high into the atmosphere, mid-way, or closer to the ground. It depends on the ENTIRE contribution of gases, not just that due to a single major eruption, although eruptions tend to produce more easily measured short-term effects.

Sulfur Dioxide does not comprise the highest percentage of gases emitted in a lot of volcanism. Volcanoes also produce huge amounts of water vapor and CO2, usu. in very high percentages and both of which appear to have a profound greenhouse impact.

In a Simmons et al study on volcanic ERUPTIONS
The gases emitted by most eruptions and by man-made sources never leave the troposphere, the layer in the atmosphere from the surface to about 10 km.

( During large eruptions) Volcanic gases reach the stratosphere, a layer in the atmosphere from about 10 km to about 50 km in altitude....The impact of eruptions may not last very long. The aerosols in the stratosphere from mid-range eruptions (St. Helens, Alaid) settled back to the troposphere in about 5-8 months ( Kent and McCormick, 1984) For large eruptions like El Chichon it takes about 12 months for SO2 levels in the stratosphere to return to pre-eruption levels.

More complicated patterns of warming and cooling have been found on regional scales. Robock and Mao (1992) found WARMING over Eurasia and North America and COOLING over the Middle East and northern Africa during the winters after the 12 largest volcanic eruptions from 1883-1992.

It's obvious the impact of volcanoes and eruptions can cause both cooling and warming. It's an extremely complex system, and localized and global impact even depend on latitude of the volcano.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.