Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1633 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 29 - 01:02pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / AMD's Barcelona, cheaters never win?

Re: AMD's Barcelona, cheaters never win? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Gerritt Aug 05, 2007, 08:26pm EDT Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: AMD's Barcelona, cheaters never win?
GACK!
Which one of these can I put into production or even beta?
Niether!
My point is that until they release, there is no way of telling which implementation is better!
I've just bought a Core 2 Duo laptop because it had the features and throughput necessary; NOW. In another 8-12 months, when I replace my desktop, it may be an Intel or an AMD.

Get a grip folks! They (AMD, Intel), play off of each other, and it's up to you to figure out who's on first (old A&C reference). WHEN it's actually on the market is when we can discuss WHO'S faster, but even then FASTER than WHAT?

I BELIEVE that AMD will be better. A belief is a unsupported predisposition towards a certain conclusion, without supporting logical criteria. So Intel could be better. I'm not going to modify my convictions, but am ready to modify my beliefs.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
SuPeR Xp Aug 05, 2007, 09:39pm EDT Report Abuse
Sounds good to me.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
md md Aug 06, 2007, 03:19pm EDT Report Abuse
Hello Mr Sander

If AMD were cheating you would not be able to find it. You looked into several sites and concluded on this.

Did anybody buy a Barcelona that AMD claims is running at 3.00GHz but actually is 2.00GHz? Did anybody loose money?

No. Nobody lost money.

It is Intel who is cheating AMD with nasty marketing and stealing customers' money. Since 1996 it has stolen $60B as you know was investigated by US Trade Commission. It has taken 6 yrs to find this. A real cheating takes time to be uncovered. So, did anybody loose money?

Yes. Customers lost $60B.

Be practical in thinking. Worry on things that have happened, not on fictions. AMD have some implementation issues which have forced them to work underclock.

Lets be reasonable. Ameen.

- Huq

SuPeR Xp Aug 06, 2007, 08:08pm EDT Report Abuse
I also don't think AMD is cheating either. More info:

K10 Quad B2 needs 1.08V for 1.6 GHz
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=...;Itemid=35

Phenom X4 can hit 3.24 GHz

Phenom X2 Dual core can hit 3.4 GHz

Shanghai 45 nm K10.5 has improved IPC

dark41 Aug 07, 2007, 02:58am EDT Report Abuse
Well just to put those links into perspective, they claim an "inside source" told them that:

"Clock per clock, the 3 GHz Barcelona / Phenom X4 should beat a Core 2 Quad at 3 GHZ, so this would mean that 3.24 GHz from AMD should be enough to fight Penryn at 3.33 GHz, at least in theory."

Too bad that current Intel core 2 quad overclocks to 3.6GHz pretty easily on stock cooling, and closer to 3.9GHz with a good air cooler. Also, they're speculating that Penryn won't be any faster than than the current core 2 quads, and I'm not sure how anyone could know just what Penryn can do at this point (unless they have some "inside source" at both camps). Anyway, at best they're claiming AMD will hold its own. Not a thing there about it being faster as I read it.

"According to some internal information Barcelona / Phenom X4 Quad core can hit 3.24 GHz. This is the top speed of the B2 revision of the core."

"Phenom X2 would be initially shipping at faster speeds than 3 GHz and the real quantity comes in Q1 2008. Still there is a light as this CPU can hit 3.4 GHz."

So which is it? Shipping initially with B1 stepping at 3.0GHz, or B2 stepping at 3.24GHz, or some other stepping that they haven't explained at 3.4GHz? (Same date for both of those claims by the way.)

And just in time to compete with Nehalem? Seems to me this source is contradicting itself and still painting a picture of AMD being behind. If Intel posted such contradictions, they'd be torn apart by AMD fanboys. Funny how each side seems to read into these things what they want to see? :s

But the good news is that I now see where Super_XP gets his terrible english grammar from. :)

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
Blood Brother Aug 07, 2007, 04:38am EDT Report Abuse
Mark Allen said:
Sander Sassen said:
Mark?

You not had your morning coffee yet? Let me repeat what I just wrote: a 2.6GHz quad-core Barcelona just about keeps pace with a 2.66GHz quad-core Intel Xeon. Hence when AMD launches in September at 2GHz, this is a 600MHz reduction in clockspeed (!), that will result in a significant reduction in performance.

Best regards,

For one, I dont drink coffee. Two, I did indeed just basically wake up when I read/made that post. Third, even if that is the case, if 600Mhz is the only deciding factor of it being slower than the 2.66Ghz Intel Xeon, whats not stopping us from just overclocking it 700Mhz or so? Fourth, if I recall correctly, the Barcelona is just a server processor meaning not for desktop use. It is an Opteron processor. So that means its going to be highly expensive. More than what the average desktop user can afford. By the time they release the Phenom core the for us desktop people (our Barcelona equivalent), the clock speed should be faster and bugs worked out

OMG.. came back after months to see an AMD fanboy/MOderator... LOL :O

--------------------------------------------------------
s754 Clawhamma 3000+
g'byte K8Ns 250
1 Gb kingston ddr400
mSi 6600gt AGP

SuPeR Xp Aug 07, 2007, 08:05pm EDT Report Abuse
Nobody seen my links above? 3.0 GHz Barcelona's & 3.4 GHz Phenom Dual & Quad-Cores coming :P

Mike L. Aug 14, 2007, 04:52pm EDT Report Abuse
Because nobody cares. On top of that, there's nothing to speculate whether all of that is true, other than rumors.

Dublin_Gunner Aug 14, 2007, 05:19pm EDT Report Abuse
I'm sure it would scale to at least 3Ghz, it will have to.

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Mike L. Aug 15, 2007, 03:04pm EDT Report Abuse
Not just that, but it'll probably be able to only inch it's way up to 3.2GHz at the most. That's an increase of a mere 200MHz; and knowing AMD, they'll sell that as their FX processor lol.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.