Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1303 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 20 - 08:01pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray 2007 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
SuPeR Xp Aug 13, 2007, 09:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray 2007
LOL, that just means the tech guys at Best Buy don't know jack about hooking up a HD player & a TV ;)

No really, HD DVD & Blu-Ray had equal space? I was also told by a few more people that this was the case, so I would suspect that the stupid displays are here in Toronto, ON Canada. I will try & take a snap shot of the display in Best Buy Canada & Wal-Mart Canada OK.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
G. G. Aug 13, 2007, 10:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
LOL, that just means the tech guys at Best Buy don't know jack about hooking up a HD player & a TV ;)

No really, HD DVD & Blu-Ray had equal space? I was also told by a few more people that this was the case, so I would suspect that the stupid displays are here in Toronto, ON Canada. I will try & take a snap shot of the display in Best Buy Canada & Wal-Mart Canada OK.

LOL... Broken/dead players doesnt have anything to do with hooking it up. Plus, I have actually seen the display working before. So it was working.

Yup, as for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies at the particular Best Buy store I went to...... everything is equal... Niether one is overseeing the other. Even trying to guage the amount of movies to see which had more titles.... it seems both were equally matched. Yeah, at least the store that I went into.... everything was equal. In my previous post about Walmart...... where the Walmart I went into.... only had 1 movie title ( "300" ) both in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD with no players display... But I think with Walmart.... it is a regional thing and or the size of the Walmart i.e. regular Walmart store or a Super Walmart store.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
SuPeR Xp Aug 14, 2007, 11:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
G. G. said:
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:

LOL... Broken/dead players doesnt have anything to do with hooking it up. Plus, I have actually seen the display working before. So it was working.

Yup, as for HD-DVD and Blu-Ray movies at the particular Best Buy store I went to...... everything is equal... Niether one is overseeing the other. Even trying to guage the amount of movies to see which had more titles.... it seems both were equally matched. Yeah, at least the store that I went into.... everything was equal. In my previous post about Walmart...... where the Walmart I went into.... only had 1 movie title ( "300" ) both in Blu-Ray and HD-DVD with no players display... But I think with Walmart.... it is a regional thing and or the size of the Walmart i.e. regular Walmart store or a Super Walmart store.

Sounds good G.G then it must be the stores I went to here in Canada that seemed to be bias toward a particular HD brand. As for the HD DVD players that did not work, well, that is only one store among 1,000's plus.

Take Care,

Adam Kolak Aug 14, 2007, 11:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I looked again today in my local Wal-Mart. No Blu-Ray. No HD-DVD. No players. No movies on the formats. Not even an Xbox 360 HD-DVD player. Not even a PS3 in stock. (even my local supermarket, Shop Rite, had 2 PS3s in stock today) Yep, my local Wal-Mart sucks.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
SuPeR Xp Aug 15, 2007, 12:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, thats strange?

<a class= Aug 15, 2007, 05:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think all this is pointless. wtf is the big deal? My friend owes a 50 some inch LCD TV full 1080p and I watched regular DVD's on it, because since its so big and you have to sit so far away, you can't even see the pixels. The only point might be the 7.1 digital sound but so what? How many of you owe a 7.1 receiver with a set of speakers? like 1% of ALL tv owners.

Adam Kolak Aug 15, 2007, 11:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 15, 2007, 11:38am EDT

S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
Well, thats strange?

I should really check the second closest Wal-Mart to me soon. That one is in a much nicer area. I bet they probably stock HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. And that is the one where I got my Xbox 360.

Adam Kolak
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Brendan Falvey Aug 15, 2007, 08:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Both Blu ray and HD_DVD are trying to push market and existing technologies to the limit. One plans to offer 200GB as yet untried only 100GB versions. Waste of time check out Tapestry a Hitachi/Maxell joint venture.

This is not pie in the sky development there is real hardware available and the basic unit is a 300GB system that is planned to go to 1.6TB. It is a holographic system that does not require to be spun quickly but I understand it does turn. Originally aimed at the Datastore and archive market it will be ideal for video

I understand Panasonic have camcorder with the technology already in the market that can record 34 hours of HD video and 150 something for SD video.

All the above in light of this development is so much puff and waffle with very little substance. Check out the following link

http://www.inphase-technologies.com

Sean Costello Aug 15, 2007, 08:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Brendan Falvey said:
Both Blu ray and HD_DVD are trying to push market and existing technologies to the limit. One plans to offer 200GB as yet untried only 100GB versions. Waste of time check out Tapestry a Hitachi/Maxell joint venture.

This is not pie in the sky development there is real hardware available and the basic unit is a 300GB system that is planned to go to 1.6TB. It is a holographic system that does not require to be spun quickly but I understand it does turn. Originally aimed at the Datastore and archive market it will be ideal for video

I understand Panasonic have camcorder with the technology already in the market that can record 34 hours of HD video and 150 something for SD video.

All the above in light of this development is so much puff and waffle with very little substance. Check out the following link

http://www.inphase-technologies.com

They are also planning on coating discs with proteins to hold 100s of GBs if not TBs of storage, saw it in a magazine but i forget who is trying to make it.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
SuPeR Xp Aug 15, 2007, 08:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What about SONY & there exploding discs? Buy a Sony DVD for $5.99, then after you watch the movie on your HD player, it will self destruct. Sony's retarted.

SuPeR Xp Aug 16, 2007, 01:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 16, 2007, 11:04pm EDT

Just some interesting FACTS!

XBOX 360 HD DVD in 2006 sold 105,000 players
HD DVD in 2006 sold 60,000 stand alone players
Blu-Ray in 2006 sold 50,000 stand alone players

Between January 1, 2007 to July 1, 2007
Blu-Ray sold 1.6 Million Blu-Ray Discs in the USA.
HD DVD sold 795, 000 Thousand Discs in the USA.
XBOX 360 HD DVD sold 155,000 Thousand players in the USA.

Overall TOTAL players sold in the USA
Blu-Ray sold 2.2 Million Discs
HD DVD sold 1.5 Million Discs

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/08...edia_research/
http://www.xbox365.com/news.cgi?id=GGLuiLuLLG06251036

HD DVD owners are buying 4 HD DVD's per player sold Does not include the XBOX 360 HD DVD & PC drives.
Blu-Ray owners are buying 1 Blu-Ray disc per player sold Including the PS3 & PC drives.

So, without the PS3, Blu-Ray would be greatly undersold vs. HD DVD. So there is more people wathing HD DVD movies then Blu-Ray movies.
This Format war is far from being over anytime soon. We are talking about less then 5% of the market here. Where as DVD has well over 80%. Any of the two formats claiming to be the winners are bone heads.

Bungle Aug 16, 2007, 07:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm going to laugh when someone figures out a way to compress 3 hours of QHD (quad HD) video onto a 3.5" floppy and all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff becomes moot.

Core i7 4770K @ 4.4GHz | Corsair H110 | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H | 32GB 1866MHz Corsair Vengeance
2x EVGA GTX 780 SLI | 256GB OCZ Vector SSD | 4TB Hitachi 7K4000
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Corsair 650D | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Adam Kolak Aug 16, 2007, 07:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jim H said:
I'm going to laugh when someone figures out a way to compress 3 hours of QHD (quad HD) video onto a 3.5" floppy and all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff becomes moot.

That would be impressive. I have seen some crazy compression though, but never like that. On Pirate Bay, the "HD Advance" application is WinRAR'd down to 6MB from about 4.6GB. Check it out for yourself if you dot believe me.

And I have seen tech demos where complex 3D animations were compressed into small under 300K files.

Adam Kolak
Sean Costello Aug 16, 2007, 07:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yeah ive seen some few GB archives gziped into a few MBs.

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
SuPeR Xp Aug 16, 2007, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 16, 2007, 11:06pm EDT

I made a correction. It was not players sold but HD DVD's in my last post.

I really hope Blu-Ray burns down, who the hell would want SONY controlling what to watch? They already bought out several movie studios, so I do not trust a company with its own format making movies for its own format. This is scarys**t IMO.

Adam Kolak Aug 16, 2007, 11:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:

I really hope Blu-Ray burns down, who the hell would want SONY controlling what to watch? They already bought out several movie studios, so I do not trust a company with its own format making movies for its own format. This is scarys**t IMO.

I have to agree with you on that for the most part. I still might buy a PS3, but you won't ever see me buying any movies or music on a Sony format. I guess I'll be supporting Blu-Ray with games though. Oh well. Damn Sony.

Adam Kolak
Gerritt Aug 17, 2007, 02:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's going to come down to marketing.

Was Sony Betamax better than VHS? Yes.
Do you see any Betamax players anywhere on the market? Only in a few broadcast stations if even that by now.

Is Blu-ray technically better than DVD-HD? Mayhap, but the market penitration for Blu-ray, a Sony proprietory standard is less than the HD-DVD standardized offerings.

Technical conciderations aside it's going to come down to pricing. Whichever one produces a player in the $100-200 range or a recorder in the $200-400 range will probably win if the media is of equitable price.

I personally perfer the Sony Blu-Ray, but will not buy either until I can record on a resonably priced non-proprietory media that is inexpensive on a per GB/$ perspective.

I think HD-DVD has the edge here in long term support and price reductions.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Brendan Falvey Aug 17, 2007, 02:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I agree with Gerritt Beta was vastly superior to VHS. Just recording from one format to the other highlighted the marginal quality of VHS recordings but Sony screwed it them selves by not licencing it out and this proprietary attiutude is still part of their cultur today with the ossession to protect their products with DRM and care naught for the problems they spawned with their original rootkit. I like many Sony item but they are their own worst enemy.

Rather than play the format game I might just wait for a Tapestry unit as is already into the professional market.

SuPeR Xp Aug 18, 2007, 11:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Only time will tell.

G. G. Aug 18, 2007, 02:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
Only time will tell.

Ahhhh yessss..... you are right... Only time will tell....

But in the meantime.... take a read at this article titled " Playstation 3 Kills HD-DVD" by TG Daily...

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/68285/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.