Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1968 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 20 - 05:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Off Topic /

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray 2007 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
SuPeR Xp Aug 18, 2007, 10:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray 2007
G. G. said:
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
Only time will tell.

Ahhhh yessss..... you are right... Only time will tell....

But in the meantime.... take a read at this article titled " Playstation 3 Kills HD-DVD" by TG Daily...

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/68285/

GG, you are forgeting that the PS3 is a gaming machine, so people bought it for that. I would assume that less then 40% of people buying PS3's will also use it for viewing Blu-Ray's.

XBOX 360's HD DVD player is for viewing HD DVD's.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gerritt Aug 18, 2007, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SUPERXP, All,
Again it comes down to market penitration and acceptance.
The PS3 requires Blu-ray.
The XBOX360 supports DVD-HD.
These are new consoles, and if adoption was convergent on only the consoles it appears that Blu-Ray may win.
It is my assumption that there are more PCs installed than consoles.
In my assumption, peaple with PCs want the recording function.
From the viewpoint of the PC market isn't it the standard that is cheap enough that gets the worm?

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Brendan Falvey Aug 19, 2007, 12:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Following GG link to the other thread was interesting as I read it the HD DVD format is more user friendly in respect of video menus for the end user. I think that will count more for the average Joe or his wife as a player in the longer term. Coupled with the maybe status of final Blu ray capacity lab hardware to 100GB but no hardware for 200GB even in their labs. Still vapour ware even if they did get the 200GB you would likely have to shell out for a new player.

Why bother when better technologies that start at 300GB per unit already exist and undergoing industry testing in both computing and video production markets. May be the professional market at present but the consumer market temptation will be too great to miss. Consumers could possibly get lesser specs as with IDE and SCSI drives

SuPeR Xp Aug 19, 2007, 02:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, the good thing about HD DVD is its following after the DVD. It's basic & simple to use. It costs cheaper to produce & costs to manufactures are nothing but a basic retrofitting of there existing DVD fabs into HD DVD.

HD DVD can win with cost alone. One strong point the HD DVD camp should be talking about is its Region Free capabilities. You can get “Exclusive North American Blu-Ray” titles on the HD DVD format in the UK & Europe.

So, these companies claiming that they are Blu-Ray exclusive are plain stupid.

Blu-Ray has region codes (Suckers), and that is that.

vulcan raven Aug 19, 2007, 04:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the one thats wins out will end up the cheapest format so its not particularly relevant. cost is only an issue right now. if bluray discs continue to outsell HD DVD 2:1 as they have done, HD DVD will fall away. simply because no matter the squabbles over amounts of standalones, ps3 market etc the movie studios dont care so much about that, they care about movie sales. not hardware. they dont care if you play movies on a standalone, or a ps3, or an add on drive. they just care about how many of their discs come off the shelves and into consumers homes.
regardless, it nearly all may be immaterial. the world is on the very brink of the true digital content age. online delivery and content in demand are what i believe is the true future, whether you or i like it not its seemingly inevitable. i still prefer possessing something though. something discernible, rather than 'owning' spinning electrons on a hard drive if you get my drift.

--------------------ANTEC cased rig--------------------
http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=7362136
SuPeR Xp Aug 19, 2007, 05:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 19, 2007, 05:05pm EDT

You have a point, this is why Toshiba will counter attack with coming out with HD DVD drives as a standard for all 8+ million notebooks they will sell in 2008. HP, Acer, NEC, Asus, Lite On, Samsung, LG etc. is also following suit.

So, this war is far from being over, and capacity on discs is an old argument Sony loves to bring up all the time.

HD DVD Disc Capacity.
Single sided single layer 15GB HD resolution 4hrs.
Single sided dual layer 30GB HD resolution 8hrs.
Single sided triple layer 45GB HD resolution 12hrs (under development).
Double sided single layer 30GB HD resolution 8hrs.
Double sided dual layer 60GB HD resolution 16hrs.
Double sided triple layer 90GB HD resolution 24hrs (under development).

Need I say more? ;)

leastcmplicated Aug 19, 2007, 08:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
so i havent read this entire thread cause honestly, i dont care so if i say something thats already been said i'm sorry. But I was at blockbuster today (i know! renting a movie at an actual store zomg!) and although they have both blu ray and hd dvd "sections" (basically its like 6 shelves) blue ray does a much better job of advertising it. There are posters on the outside of the building right by the doors and a big cardboard standup when you walk in. I didn't see anything about hd dvd and didn't even know they had it there until i walked by that section which i wasnt going to because i already got what i had come for (Hot Fuzz). Anyway if they dont step it up a notch they're gunna be like beta...

G. G. Aug 19, 2007, 09:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
HD DVD Disc Capacity.

Need I say more? ;)

only 90GB on a Double sided triple layer that is supposedly under development??????

Blu-ray can do 100GB on a double sided dual layer TODAY.....

Physical size / Single layer capacity / Dual layer capacity

12 cm single sided / 25 GB / 50 GB
12 cm double sided / 50 GB / 100 GB
8 cm single sided / 7.8 GB / 15.6 GB
8 cm double sided / 15.6 GB / 31.2 GB

Blu-ray pwns HD-DVD and it is selling 2:1 in movies over HD-DVD !!! :)

OH ... almost forgot to add...

Blu-ray is the only format accepted and backed by the Blu-ray Disc Association - http://www.blu-raydisc.com/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
SuPeR Xp Aug 19, 2007, 10:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
leastcmplicated said:
so i havent read this entire thread cause honestly, i dont care so if i say something thats already been said i'm sorry. But I was at blockbuster today (i know! renting a movie at an actual store zomg!) and although they have both blu ray and hd dvd "sections" (basically its like 6 shelves) blue ray does a much better job of advertising it. There are posters on the outside of the building right by the doors and a big cardboard standup when you walk in. I didn't see anything about hd dvd and didn't even know they had it there until i walked by that section which i wasnt going to because i already got what i had come for (Hot Fuzz). Anyway if they dont step it up a notch they're gunna be like beta...

Its not HD DVD that does the advertising, its the store. HD DVD supplies pictures & posters to them everytime they order bulk videos, so can you say bias?

This format war was never fair to begine with. And once again, this shows SONY paying off companies to undercut HD DVD.

SuPeR Xp Aug 19, 2007, 10:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
G. G. said:
S_U_P_E_R X_P said:
HD DVD Disc Capacity.

Need I say more? ;)

only 90GB on a Double sided triple layer that is supposedly under development??????

Blu-ray can do 100GB on a double sided dual layer TODAY.....

Physical size / Single layer capacity / Dual layer capacity

12 cm single sided / 25 GB / 50 GB
12 cm double sided / 50 GB / 100 GB
8 cm single sided / 7.8 GB / 15.6 GB
8 cm double sided / 15.6 GB / 31.2 GB

Blu-ray pwns HD-DVD and it is selling 2:1 in movies over HD-DVD !!! :)

OH ... almost forgot to add...

Blu-ray is the only format accepted and backed by the Blu-ray Disc Association - http://www.blu-raydisc.com/

Wow, and I find it funny that a smaller capasity HD DVD movie called '300' has as**t load more to offer then the larger Blu-Ray disc LOL, right, capasity means JACK &s**t, and Jack left town ;)

Blu-Ray is a failed technology, sorry to burst your bubbles, and before you know it, SONY will dump it for something newer, and screw everybody up.

Sean Costello Aug 19, 2007, 10:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
its capacity, not capasity :P

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
G. G. Aug 19, 2007, 10:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 19, 2007, 10:57pm EDT

S_U_P_E_R X_P said:

Blu-Ray is a failed technology, sorry to burst your bubbles, and before you know it, SONY will dump it for something newer, and screw everybody up.

The only "Bubble" I see around here is you creating one for yourself to fluff up HD-DVD and to show your HATRED for Sony..... With this type of attitude and one sided bias..... how the hell the general folks out there to determine the type of info you are spilling out is true or just made up because of your over extended bias. You talk about fairness from the get go between Blu-ray and HD-DVD when you cant even be fair between what both has to offer.

As for me... I could care less about which format survives... only as long as one survives.. I am not going to sink my money for either one.... until the general market says which one stays... and then only then I will suport whoever fare through it all. Let it be Blu-ray or HD-DVD..... I aint gonna invest into one or the other only to find out that the one I so happened to pick is going to be faded out.... So let them both do their thing to convince the market who is better or at least the industry deciding which format to adopt and then passing it down to us the consumer.

So stop being a politician and the continual of the smearing campaign for HD-DVD.

If you are so damn comfident about HD-DVD future.... why arent you sporting a HD-DVD add-in drive in your computer system or have HD-DVD players like 360 or stand-alone players all throughout your house and buy boat loads of HD-DVD movie titles....... Or are you going to wait till which format becomes standard before you dive into it....?????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
Brendan Falvey Aug 19, 2007, 11:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 20, 2007, 12:13am EDT

Settle down fellah the system and content suppliers are the enemy not each other. lets see if we can find a strategy to suit us not them.

The lack of region codes is a real plus. Its only purpose is to allow the movie moguls to release stuff to suit themselves. Region codes were eventually found to be anti competitive in Australia and its use discontinued. What do they need region codes for other than marketing b#$%@&t since for full resolution on HDMI HDTV connections they use DRM or similar protection. Next mogul onanists will be supplying drives already covered in a prophylactic. They just want a nice quiet tame market that will let them take money out of your pocket.

As for the advertising it may depend upon both the supplier ensuring their promotions are properly displayed and even pay money for valuable middle shelf space like in supermarkets.

SuPeR Xp Aug 20, 2007, 02:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 20, 2007, 02:00am EDT

GG cool down.
Your quote:
"So stop being a politician and the continual of the smearing campaign for HD-DVD"

I am just stating the facts bro.

And my setup:
Dual-Core Multi-Media Gaming PC w/ 22" HDTV
XBOX 360 HD DVD Player via PC
HD DVD's: 8
New HD DVD titles to add - Army of Darkness, Serenity & The Chronicles of Riddick
Will Order - Terminator 2 Judgment Day, Total Recal & Brotherhood of the Wolf (HD DVD's)
42" Panasonic/LG/Toshiba? 1080p Plasma/LCD? HDTV (Coming Soon)

FordGT90Concept Aug 20, 2007, 02:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 20, 2007, 02:06am EDT

Why does that look like copy & paste to me?

Personally, I don't watch many videos and plain old DVD is plenty for me. No game has yet to reach two dual layer DVD disks either so, I really couldn't care less which format takes the majority until it actually becomes relevant to me.

G. G. Aug 20, 2007, 02:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Personally, I don't watch many videos and plain old DVD is plenty for me. No game has yet to reach two dual layer DVD disks either so, I really couldn't care less which format takes the majority until it actually becomes relevant to me.

Well....... Personally I watch alot of movies via video... and plain old DVD is fine with me. Over the years, I have purchased up lots of movies and now I think I am up in the hundreds. I really dont care who wins out.... I just dont want to take a chance and start investing in to one format or the other and then my luck it would be the one that goes down the toilet... I dont want to be one of them Betamax or Laser Disc owners that was left in the dust... I'll just sit tight for now. You watch........ both format will stay around and neither will concede to the other.... then the consumer will loose. Both format are compatible to DVD but NOT compatible to each other..... hence the wait till the dust settles.

-
FordGT90Concept Aug 20, 2007, 09:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I say if the DVD Forum doesn't start advertising, BD-DVD already won.

Adam Kolak Aug 20, 2007, 01:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 20, 2007, 01:29pm EDT

Paramount and Dreamworks have announced they are going HD-DVD exclusive:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/bye-bye-blu_ray/paramount-and-dream...291339.php

They were formally selling discs on both formats. And now they join Universal as the only major Hollywood studios to be exclusive to HD-DVD.

The game ain't over till it's over.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Sean Costello Aug 20, 2007, 04:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
lol Army of Darkness is on HD-DVD?

That movie is awesome :)

______
Story of My Life- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c764JWVt5Fw
SuPeR Xp Aug 20, 2007, 05:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
I say if the DVD Forum doesn't start advertising, BD-DVD already won.

I agree Ford, so they better get some advertising out the door this Christmas Holidays. I went back to Best Buy Canada & they actually changed the displays for both HD DVD & Blu-Ray, both are now being presented equally. As for Wal-Mart Canada, no change as of today. HD DVD is being screwed by the current employee’s there & favoring Blu-Ray overall.

And yes it is a Cut & Paste from another Forum I am currently on. It’s my home HD DVD Theater setup I am currently running in my basements Wreck Room.

Take Care,

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.