Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 934 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 24 - 04:01pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Projects /

New Genome Sheriff in Town 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dan Mepham Feb 04, 2002, 07:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> I suppose I deserved this...
Went to crank my Athlon up - I know its good for 1.5GHz, just wasnt sure if the cheap power supply I'm using could handle it. 1.4GHz, all good. 1.46, seemed to be okay. Tried for 1.5GHz. Worked fine for 5 minutes, then POOF. Just turned off.

To make a long story short, RIP one cheap 300W power supply. Too late to buy a new one tonight, so I'll have to wait till tomorrow. In the mean time, only extra I had to stick in was an even CHEAPER 250W, which I'm now using, forcing me to run the thing at only 1.2GHz until I can get a new one.

So I'm going to be running a few hundred MHz slower than usual tonight. Very well, Dave, my arch-nemesis, you win this round... ;)

Dan Mepham
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Robert Kropiewnicki Feb 04, 2002, 08:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: New Genome Sheriff in Town
Gak! Dan!!!! Using el cheap power supplies???? In Athlon systems???? You've just set the forums back 10 weeks!!!!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been betrayed!!!!!!!

Ladies and gents, do as I say, not as Dan does!

:-)

Dan Mepham Feb 04, 2002, 09:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah yeah, lay it on me. Since I deserve this, I'm willing to let it slide. :) Ironic thing is, that's the first piece of advice I always give people building Athlon systems! Especially 1GHz ones they plan to overclock to 1.5GHz. ALWAYS use a good power supply!

What is this? Some perverse form of poetic justice? :) Rest assured, I'll be replacing it with a *decent* one tomorrow.

Dan Mepham
joestyles Feb 04, 2002, 10:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey Dan,
I hope you can help with with a question?
As you must live close to me if your attending UofW and I live in Etobicoke but work in ayr, were do you go to buy good equipment. Like brand name stuff? You said you were going to pick up a good poewr supply, where is it that you go? All the places i go are to busy trying to pawn off all there generic crap. Telling me that i don't need the good stuff, and that there el cheapo stuff works just as good .
This would be a big help to me if you could fill me in.

Thanks in advance.
Robin

Darren Krape Feb 04, 2002, 11:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ironic thing is, that's the first piece of advice I always give people building Athlon systems! Especially 1GHz ones they plan to overclock to 1.5GHz. ALWAYS use a good power supply!

Would an Antec 400w work? /me runs out an tries to o/c his 1.4 to 2.5

Not to get back on topic (run, run away!), is there any way to archive stats on genome numbers? I would think since EM2 can do it one at a time, that something like it could just remember those numbers. You could just do the numbers somewhere else (like exel, ick...) as long as you have them. Thoughts?

Darren Krape

Chief Graphics Designer
dkrape@hardwareanalysis.com
http://www.darrenkrape.com
#hardwareanalysis on newnet.net
Rhort Feb 05, 2002, 04:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
I'm collecting the team stats from the Statsman site and archiving them in Excel, plotting a graph to keep an eye on the gap between us and ea.com.

I'm afraid that the best I can say is that their rate of accelleration away from us has slowed slightly.

_________________________________________________________________________________
~ The manual said "Requires Windows '95 or better" ...so I installed Linux!
Dan Mepham Feb 05, 2002, 12:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You'll be pleased to know I just picked up a nice Sparke supply on my way home, and it's purring along happily now. :)

Dan Mepham
Rhort Feb 06, 2002, 06:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
Is it just me, or is the results page not being updated? Mine still shows Sunday :-(

_________________________________________________________________________________
Sander Sassen Feb 06, 2002, 06:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ooohh, cannoliboy, you sneaky man, you ...

Okay, I'm up for a challenge I'm guessing you got some people interested in running Genome for you, or took some money out of your savings and bought a few extra machines. But that's cool, you're now #1 on my list, Rhort and Sverre are next.

Best regards,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
DaveO Feb 06, 2002, 08:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No, you're right Rhort, it's not updating too well. Hasn't really been much good since Christmas. Seems only to be the servers hosting the stats, the uploads still seem to go up and register fine once an update finally happens, although I have to admit I tend to hold off until the updates are working properly. Probably related to the problem Rob listed further up in this thread.

--------------------------------------
What does this button do?
Sander Sassen Feb 06, 2002, 02:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
M..u..s..t...g..o...f..a..s..t..e..r...

Okay got the Hyper Threading working on the Xeons, now doing two Genome clients on each CPU, which is funny cause XP already indicated I had four CPUs instead of two.

Cheers,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
Rhort Feb 08, 2002, 09:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> [No Subject]
...which one of the two front runners will claim the 20,000 Units trophy?

DaveO Feb 09, 2002, 07:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh, it's gonna be me, don't you worry about that Rhort ;)

--------------------------------------
What does this button do?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.