Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1368 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 05:50pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Networking / Wireless /

Problem With Broadband Cable ISP= COX 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
john albrich Mar 26, 2008, 08:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Problem With Broadband Cable ISP= COX
Just an observation of a symptom coincident to the broadband internet problem.

About the same time this first started causing a problem with my computer's network connection, the Cox DigitalTV set-top box (ScientificAtlanta, a really old "Explorer2000" model) started failing to properly load daily schedules, or it would take 20 to 30 MINUTES (when it should take about 5 seconds) to load the program descriptions for the on-screen listings display.

It often also started taking up to 5 entire seconds to respond to a remote control button press (REALLY REALLY aggravating when you're trying to review channels and detailed descriptions).

Since we know the signal quality was ok, I hypothesize that the Explorer2000's processor is so busy trying to handle network issues, or being kept waiting on network input, that it isn't getting to the remote-control memory queue as quickly as it needs to. (all the signals from the remote are being received and queued-up (to a limit of about 4 it seems), they just don't execute right-away)

So, at the same time you replace the broadband network modem, it's also a good idea to replace any older digitalTV set-top box.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Alex Brown Sep 06, 2013, 04:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 06, 2013, 04:25am EDT

>> Re: Problem With Broadband Cable ISP= COX
john albrich said:
Malinda Danner said:
Just an update for you. I finally went down to the cox store and got one of their cable modems and my problems are now gone.

Perhaps your problem was also related to the DOCSIS standards issue...just a different symptom?

I could suspect that Cox intentionally created a cash cow just by changing the network barely enough to force many customers to go out and buy/rent a new modem from them...except that in all the time I spent with the lame helpdesk people, not once did they recommend getting a new modem! I got a D-Link DCM-202 from newegg.com for about $20 after sale, rebate, and free shipping!

Yeah i'm also suspect in which Cox purposely developed a dollars cow through adjusting this circle rarely enough to be able to pressure many buyers to look away as well as buy/rent a whole new modem at their store.

Visit http://www.telesystemscorp.com/telephone-services.php to know more about Phone Service Providers in your area.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.