Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1414 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 11:54am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, caught in a bit of a crysis...

Re: Nvidia's 8800GT, caught in a bit of a crysis? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
TamTheBam Nov 13, 2007, 05:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Re: Nvidia's 8800GT, caught in a bit of a crysis?

Well I'd rather wait 2 years to upgrade and play CRYSIS:EPISODE II...THE PHANTOM KOREANS

....I'm back, but only as a part-timer... :)
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Scumbag Blues Nov 13, 2007, 07:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got a eVGA e-GeForce 8800GT Superclocked Edition for $269.99CDN luckily just as it was released. It even came with a Bioshock mousepad and a retail copy of Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. :D

~

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD4 | G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600 4GB | XFX Radeon HD 6950
Unatommer Nov 14, 2007, 01:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I purchased an ATI/AMD (DAAMIT?) 2900pro about 4 or 5 weeks ago and have been happy with it (Overclocked to XT speeds - its the same card, different bios). Almost wish I would have waited for this card, but I had already waited so long that I said to myself "if Nvidia can't tell me when a new product is coming out, screw them..."

Considering power consumption, this card is much better than my 2900pro, although when you compare the two (pro oc'd to xt speeds to 8800gt), these two cards are in the same relative performance ballpark per dollar ($260us for 2900pro).

I know I should have waited for the 8800gt, but my 7800gt was getting old and I wanted to play all my games on max settings. :D

Bolda Nov 25, 2007, 05:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John Ingram said:
angryhippy said:
John Ingram said:
I don;t know about the U.S. but in the UK, over 80% of homes still have a regular TV!

By Government policy, all analog TV programming will be phased out pretty soon. I think the target is 2009. Actually I'm not sure I follow. You're saying you can't plug your card into a regular TV? That doesn't make sense. What happens when you try.

Like a lot of people, I have no Full screen capability on TV allowing for small window on PC but full screen on TV. That option isn't even in the new control panel. Secondly, the picture is black and white because MNTSC is stuck in the signal option, greyed out and not changeable, thirdly, any saves I make in the Control Panel are lost on reboot, and whenever I muck around too much with it I get an error and 'Do you want to tell Microsoft about this' message.

As to UK going 'digital', for most that means getting a set-top box for their regular TV (around 60 million new electrical items being plugged in and having to be left on standby - so much for the environment!). So it won't change anything for me and many others that cannot use the new card/control panel with TV Out successfully. I heard the new ATI cards had a similar problem, and they released a patch that by all accounts got the ATI cards working perfectly. No joy with/from Nvidia however.

And if you need any proof Nvidia is struggling at the moment, is the bi-weekly updates it seems to be having at the moment!

In conclusion, from what I have read on the forums, the latest Nvidia drivers have problems and the new Control Panel foisted on customers without them asking is as buggy as hell!

I can attest to the above personally!

I think the problem with no/poor analogue tv out may be due to the Hollywood/Microsoft deal incorporated into windows vista and maybe ever xp now with recent updates. it disables ( or deliberately degrades) any unencrypted output from video and sound hardware, when PREMIUM CONTENT is detected. and the detection of such seem to leave a lot to be desired.
This may leave hardware manufacturers to pay very little attention to outputs that cannot be used acording to Hollywood/Microsoft rules.
Just my opinion, boldarok

Radomir Jordanovic Nov 25, 2007, 06:14am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe that somewhat, but what about all the slingbox users that have analog TVs? Plenty of people on Internet forums daily look for MythTV updates and ask questions, and most of them may not have a 1080i/p TV. I think there are still manufacturers out there who make little cards with excellent TV output via S-Video or composite connections. I had quite a few GeForce4 MX cards that had great TV output. I'd be disheartened if this quality were to become "obsolete."

Silverstone 750W, Asus P5KC, C2 Q6600, 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600
ATI HD 4850 512MB, 1TB Caviar. 1TB Seagate
t karlowicz Nov 26, 2007, 10:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
" For many customers, however, it is a time to rejoice, here is a $250 video card that will let you play Crysis, BioShock, Quake Wars, Unreal Tournament 3 and Valve's Orange Box of gaming bliss at highest resolution"

The statement above is a little mis-leading and could perhaps be clarified,
so that people don't run out and buy a 8800GT expecting to play Crysis at 1680+

My 7900GTO can play BioShock,
and all Orange Box games at 1680 w/ setting on high no problem.

There currently is no card available that will play Crysis at 1680+ what so ever.
(let alone with AA enabled)

Tomek.

Robert McCurdy Jan 28, 2008, 04:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having the same problem as John.
My new computer has most of the latest stuff, except I'm sticking with XP for now.
My old computer has a Geforce2 card and can output full screen automatically using the 'Full Screen Video' function. Unfortunately I can't find it on the Geforce 8800 gt card. All I get is a stinking wizard > 'Start the NVIDIA Control Panel'.
This panel doesn't have the menu items to let me specify what I want it to do - I know cause I've tried them all! As a reasonalbly experienced user include - I've tried everything else as well.
It IS a function because some applications - like (3DMark2006) will do so automatically - so it CAN do it!
At the moment all I'm getting (using a clone setup) is an overblown desktop too large for the TV screen (a 50'' plasma, 16:9 ratio), which is the same ratio as my 22'' Samsung LCD monitor.

Is there anyway to get to the old display menus, so I can find the Full Screen Video function?
I have a sneaky suspicion this isn't a problem with Visa.
Maybe I could download some registry fix?

Regards
Robert McCurdy

angryhippy Jan 28, 2008, 05:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I think that if you have RivaTuner, you can use the drop down menu on the main tab under the target adapter box / customize and select low level refresh rate settings. Then in the refresh rates window go to the Monitor Driver wizard, and you can manually set the maximum display resolution. Hope that helps. The new nVidia control panel sucks! I just recently started using the RivaTuner and like it quite a bit.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Beavis Khan Jan 28, 2008, 09:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robert McCurdy said:

This panel doesn't have the menu items to let me specify what I want it to do - I know cause I've tried them all! As a reasonalbly experienced user include - I've tried everything else as well.

Robert,

Make sure you're in "Advanced Mode" in the control panel. Then, expand the "Display" section and look for the "Flat Panel Scaling" sub-section. Pick your display, then pick how you want it to handle scaling (not at all, using the card, or using the monitor). HTH.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.