Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1797 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 09:40pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis

Re: How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
Dublin_Gunner Nov 14, 2007, 12:06pm EST Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Re: How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis
Sander - impatience or simply cheapness is no reason to go pirating.

"oh, that car is more expensive here, I think I'll just steal one"

Sorry, none of your excuses are washing with me.

Sure, it may be a bad decision on EA's part, sure, the prices should probably be lower - fact is, they're not, and there's nothing you can do to change that.

So instead of illegally copying the product, wait until it releases over this side of the pond, walk to the shop, and buy it. Simple.

I'm not saying I'm a goody two-shoes, but I really dont agree with pirating software

Lancool PC K62
Phenom II x3 @ 3.5Ghz
4GB DDR2-800
ASUS GTX570 DirectCU II
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sander Sassen Nov 14, 2007, 12:23pm EST Report Abuse
Dublin,

I'm not advocating piracy, let that be clear. I'm just describing how this will affect a lot of people that want to buy the game in Europe, and what actions they'll take to get their hands on a copy.

What I described is not a fictious scenario, I'm sure 1000s of people are grabbing a illegal copy off of a p2p network, or from some ftp. Many of these will not have gone to these lengths if they had the option to buy it.

Keep in mind that many gamers have waited with baited breath for this game to be released, hence the sooner they can get their hands on it the better. EA apparantly does not realize this, or doesn't care. But because of their policies they are pushing people that don't have such strong moral objections against using a pirated copy in the hands of piracy.

Cheers,

Sander Sassen
Editor in Chief - Hardware Analysis
ssassen@hardwareanalysis.com
fgjhj hgdjhgjghj Nov 14, 2007, 12:44pm EST Report Abuse
Sander, I understand where you are coming from. EA expects me to pay £35 (~>$70) for BF2 complete collection on EA link UK but on the US site $39.

After a bit of deliberation, if you put a US state and say you are in in the US on the EA site and then pay through click and buy instead of Paypal or EA's payment processor, click and buy then ask you for your billing details separately where you can state your true address and sucessfully verify your card and payment.

So in the end I got a legit BF2 for about 19 quid about a tenner off the prices in stores here and nearly less than double the ludicrous price they want in euro land :)

SBD Nov 14, 2007, 12:52pm EST Report Abuse
BTW inq has been writting about this lmao

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/14/confess...sis-pirate

TBH if i could, i would get every other games i buy from a torrent just to average out the cost, so that i'm paying what the US does lol

But i'm in uni and well lets just say if they found out i was using p2p on there internet i wouldn't be at uni for much longer lmao!

E6750 C2D (3.2Ghz)
GIGABYTE P35 DQ6
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4
8800GTS 512mb (780/2200)
Rooin Nov 14, 2007, 12:54pm EST Report Abuse
Wouldn't it be just as easy to find a state side friend to make your purchase for you, and ship it to you?

================================================================
"Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment." - Lucas http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
SBD Nov 14, 2007, 12:57pm EST Report Abuse
Well that would be good, but 9 times out of 10 you would need to pay import tax and handling charges which in the end isnt worth it.

E6750 C2D (3.2Ghz)
GIGABYTE P35 DQ6
8800GTS 512mb (780/2200)
Rooin Nov 14, 2007, 01:04pm EST Report Abuse
Well how much extra would it cost to do it that way, an get it now, instead of at the later spiked price?

Thats what you need to look at.

Isn't the tax based on the cost of the item, or am I mistaken?

For all they [the shipper] know its Home movie DVDs which are "Priceless" but can also be considered a gift?

================================================================
"Even Satan wouldn't use customer service as a form of punishment." - Lucas http://www.ctrlaltdel-online.com
SBD Nov 14, 2007, 01:13pm EST Report Abuse
It's pot luck i have managed to buy a psp from japan and get it new for less than £100 about 9 months before it came out in england. I then got a DS lite with a few games from the US i was charged £18 tax then £14 handling lol! was still cheaper but i might not be when it comes to buying one game.

E6750 C2D (3.2Ghz)
GIGABYTE P35 DQ6
8800GTS 512mb (780/2200)
Unatommer Nov 14, 2007, 01:17pm EST Report Abuse
I agree that he has a logical argument from the consumer perspective. However, there are outside forces such as governments and taxes that interfere with distribution and the cost of doing business.
Basically I have two points to counter the reasons I just gave: (yes, i'm disagreeing with myself!)
1. How long has this game been under development? You mean to tell me EA could not have coordinated a release in the U.S. and Europe at the same time? That's bull crap - they had plenty of time to release it on both ends.
2. The cost of doing business is not that much higher in Europe to justify the additional cost over the US price, ESPECIALLY downloaded versions of the game.

Scarcity will always push people to find other ways of obtaining the item, no matter what it is. So, I can say that EA has and will continue to lose dollars to possible sales, while p**sing off their customers if they keep their idiotic corporate "Policy".

I on the other hand do not have this problem as I live in the U.S. - so the best I can say is sorry guys, it's not my fault! I'll let you know how the game is while you're waiting for it to download on bittorrent...

Anthony Vickery Nov 14, 2007, 01:27pm EST Report Abuse
Sean McMullin said:
Entitlement has nothing to do with it. If a publisher is doing a physical-media-only push to the gaming market, then it's expected there will be some sort of delay in getting product to different geographic regions. But disabling an entirely legitimate delivery method simply because the consumer lives in a "wrong" region is arbitrary, pointless nonsense.

EA are more than capable of doing a worldwide launch of a piece of software. Crytek are probably not that impressed with the prices down the road from their very offices but there's not a lot any developer can do with EA.

On a very related note, it was the CEO at EA who recently claimed that software is too expensive & now they continue to pull what is essentially price gouging. Crysis is a very good game but they have to start walking the path they talk up themselves.

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2007/10/31/what-eas-ceo-...ght-years/

Sander, we need more people to boycott/petition against this kind of attitude but you get my applause for your actions and having the balls to talk about it in public.

dark41 Nov 14, 2007, 01:33pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 14, 2007, 01:36pm EST

As Monty Pythons used to say: "And now for something completely different!"

I'll probably break a forum rule or 2 here too, but I'm willing to live with the consequences. :)

As a USA citizen, who was born, raised, and lived 40+ years there, I've now moved to AU and become a permanent resident. I have a different perspective than most people on USA issues. As reluctant as I was to leave "home sweet home" (I used to buy into that USA is the best country in the world crap), I have very few regrets anymore.

I learned a long time ago that exchange rates don't have anything to do with pricing. While the AUD is now almost equal to the USD, we still pay almost double what the USA does for most products.

But then our mininum wage is $15.50/hr and the USA's is $7 something/hr. We've been paying almost double what the USA currently pays for gasoline for a long time and have never had a reason to complain. They do. They've run their economy into the ground and frankly, they've lived high on the hog for far too long considering what they've done to earn it. The AUD is currently at 92% of the USD. You do the math. I wouldn't trade economies with the USA. In fact, they'd have to pay dearly to compete with ours. The irony of the situation is that they still think they do. :)

Keeping up with the Jones and political crapola (that seems to be contingent upon being a world power) has taken it's toll on the USA and their economy. The values that once made the USA a great country have been pretty much lost. I suspect it'll get much worse before it gets better.

I don't know if EU does the same, but AU taxes imports heavily. That's fine for products that are produced in AU as I'm all in favor of promoting buying products from one's country, as long as the products are produced in that country. It makes no difference to me if it's a download, or boxed DVD, or a car. But when products are not produced in one's home country and still the taxes discourage buying these products, it's ridiculous and encourages pirating. I have no sympathy for big business nor governments who let greed dictate pricing.

I don't pirate games. I'm one of those idiots who waits an extra couple of weeks for it to become available on CD/DVD here and pays full price for it. Since I make my living off computers, I respect the DRM of anyone who can make software work well on a PC.

However I share 25,000+ MP3s on P2P. I see music as art. Since any (so called) artist can copy someone else's song and collect the profits, I feel that I have as much right to share this art with whoever I choose. I actually paid for this stuff, where another artist didn't. Go figure. It's never been illegal to copy a song from the radio on cassette tape and give that tape to whoever I want that I'm aware of. So what's different about the PC? The RIAA would have us believe that new technology = new rules. I'd love for them to sue me so I could let a jury decide if anything has changed. In fact I'm hoping they will try so I can retire a rich man. :)

I agree that waiting for products produced in the USA in other countries is a PITA. But the USA economy is collapsing, and I think that's a good thing. The entire world will be better off with a standard economy that is not based upon the USD which hasn't been based upon anything since Nixon took it off the gold standard. The USD has been losing ground since the 1920s. It's collapse is inevitable IMO, and long overdue.

I'm probably no happier about waiting than anyone else is. The difference is that I believe the end result will be worth waiting for. To keep it in perspective, it's a silly PC game. Is it really worth compromising your principals over just to have it before everyone else? If the answer is yes, then you have bigger problems than waiting for the game to become available in your neighborhood. ;)

EX38-DS5
E8500@4.0GHz (445x9, 1.40v) TRUE Black
Corsair HX620W
2x2gb Kingston HyperX 9600
HIS IceQ4 HD4850
2X1TB F1s (RAID 0) XP Pro/Win7 Ult 64
Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
Cambridge Soundworks 500w 5.1
G5, Antec 1200
G. G. Nov 14, 2007, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse
Let's see...

49.00 USD = 34.24 EURO

Sander says his cost is 59.99 EURO

59.99 EURO = 87.57 USD.

I say wait till your prices goes down after the initial buying frenzy due to high demand.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
John Ingram Nov 14, 2007, 02:13pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 14, 2007, 02:15pm EST

Surely the argument should be about 'fanboyishness'. ie,. having to have the latest hardware and games the day they come out at whatever the price. This is why as another test, you could go in to any PC gaming thread as say 'PC gaming is slowly dying' and get totally flamed by people talkiong about games that have not yet come out on PC, the fact that 5 hour single player games (HL2 EP1 and 2, COD4, etc) are okay because they are brilliant for those five hours and always pointing out it's your fault you don;t have the hardware to run any given game.

I wouldn't buy any linear closed world PC game for more than £10/$20. They are just not value for money with their 10-15 hour single player gameplay (Bioshock, Timeshift, etc), What I have done for 3 years now, is buy the Bioshock's of this world on ebay, 4-6 weeks after it comes out for at least half price, as gamers who buy it new play it four or five times over the space of 10 days then let it sit there for a week or so and then put it up on ebay.

For games like Medieval II Total War and Kingdoms, STALKER, Supreme Commander, and future titles like Far Cry 2, STALKER: Clear Sky, Mass Effect, The Precursors and White Gold, all open world non-linear 80 hour plus games, I am willing to pay full price as they have more than enough value for money!

In the 90's all games, of whatever genre, put enough content in for at least 30 hours of gameplay. We should not buy the Crysis's and the Bioshock's and The Witcher's and the COD4's that give so little single play value for money and rely on multiplayer - fine for online gamers, but nothing for those that do not play online (50%) and those that play on and offline (40%). There is a hell of a lot of difference paying £35 for a STALKER that I have put 100 hours into, than a Bioshock that got 40 hours of my time before I was bored . I didn't mind just 40 hours though, as I paid £14 for it! £35 for a 15 hour gameplay game is just not value for money in my book!

You can see therefore, why I bought HL2 new, and bought the episodes second hand. Or why I bought The Longest Journey (50 hours gameplay), by Funcom, new - but bought Funcom's Dreamfall (TLJ follow-up) (12 hours gameplay) on eBay for £8.

A game is not a game. Each game is different and needs to be looked at on it's own merits. An 85% reviewed STALKER, with 80 hours of solid fun is a much higher score than a 93% for a Bioshock (for example) with 15 hours of fairly linear play.

If PC gamers just got a bit more mature,. with a bit more patience, and a bit more questioning of how to make PC games as popular as they were 10+ years ago, instead of this 'everything is okay - don't rock the boat' attitude they have, then maybe all PC games in all markets would be worth buying, whatever the price. Certainly at this moment I have no problem with the £50 I spent on MTW2 and Kingdoms, because I have already put 50 hours into it and have barely scratched the surface. Even Supreme Commander, that I purchased 4 months ago, is still being enjoyed as I am only about 70% through the campaign!

Given that Crysis by Crytek, like Far Cry before it, will be a well disguised linear game, and Far Cry 2 by Ubisoft is going to be an open world, non linear game, I think you can tell which game I will buy used on eBay and which one I will be willing to buy new in my local retailer!

So Sander, how about an intelligent debate on the state of PC gaming, rather than the cost of a particular game in a particular market? It's long overdue!

Bitmap Nov 14, 2007, 02:23pm EST Report Abuse
Sander, what you did was, plain and simple, illegal. Not only that, but you posted it on a public, and as far as Google is concerned, high-ish ranking site. If you get arrested, it's your own damn fault, to be frank. I'll not feel sorry for you.

Conversely, if you were trying to do something bold and stupid to drive more traffic to Hardware Analysis, well, then. . .

Mission Accomplished

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
NerdXcore Nov 14, 2007, 02:25pm EST Report Abuse
I agree that we are overcharged here in the uk compared to lots of other countries, Especially the states. Despite looking forward to the release of the game I wont be buying the game nor will I be stealing it though I might add with such a price difference . My copy of battlefield 2142 is worse for wear due to it constantly going in and out of drive but EA stop me from backing it up onto hard disk or release a no cd patch. Once its completely had it I wont get another and I will avoid EA games as much as possible as they seem to treat their customers with complete contempt (I my opinion) Its a shame as they release some good games but are over the top with their security, I might go for COD4 where its only 5quid more than the us price

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600 Processor
(2.40GHz ,4MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz)
Windows XP Pro
ASUS P5N-E SLI nForce 650i SLI(C55) Mainboard - Core 2 Duo/Quad-Core - ATX
2048MB corsair dominator 1066mhz DDR2 Memory
320GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
nVIDIA GeForce 880
angryhippy Nov 14, 2007, 02:40pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 14, 2007, 02:42pm EST

$80.66US for a game? That's outrageous! Hoist the Jolly Roger!

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken

Get Hippied out!
http://www.angryhippy.net
Me at work: http://tinyurl.com/3nvncb3
My rig! A Blah blah.With a blah blah! SWEET! http://tinyurl.com/4yujmff
Da Beast! http://tinyurl.com/3sapr2b
i5 3570K 4.6GHz http://snipurl.com/26r3cot
Win7-8 Pro 64bit
Bitmap Nov 14, 2007, 02:53pm EST Report Abuse
See, if I'm at Target, and see that a certain movie is $19.99 and then I head over to FYE and see it's $24.99, I don't say, "Well, FYE is charging too much. I think I'll steal it from them." I simply buy it from another source, like, oh, I dunno, Target. That seems a bit more logical to me than simply stealing it.

Confession: The primary reason of me posting this is because I forgot to check the "Send me an email when someone posts a reply to my message." box. :P

________
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you. YOU'RE locked up in here with ME." - Walter Kovacs, A.K.A. Rorschach.
Bitmap Nov 14, 2007, 02:58pm EST Report Abuse
Sander Sassen said:
Dublin,

I'm not advocating piracy, let that be clear. I'm just describing how this will affect a lot of people that want to buy the game in Europe, and what actions they'll take to get their hands on a copy.

If you weren't advocating piracy, then why would you do it? That's like, I don't advocate doing marijuana, but I'm gonna smoke it anyway. You're being hypocritical and immature. You pirated it, and you're advocating such piracy on the grounds that the product is too expensive. Normally, I'm all about "sticking it to the man," but there are better alternatives here. Legal alternatives. The fact that it's more expensive doesn't mean squat to the government. Stealing is stealing, Sander, and I truly hope it comes back to bite you in the ass.

Heh, like I said earlier, Mission Accomplished.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=pirate+crysis&btn...gle+Search

________
Nov 14, 2007, 03:06pm EST Report Abuse
Bobby Phillipps Nov 14, 2007, 11:58am PST
[...] I don't advocate doing marijuana, but I'm gonna smoke it anyway.

Good man.

Bitmap Nov 14, 2007, 03:13pm EST Report Abuse
I feel the Hardware Analysis community ought to see a part of a conversation between myself and Sander.

Sander Sassen wrote:
[...]Did I go out and try to buy Crysis? Well, yes, that part is all true. Is my torrent client now busy reeling my pirated copy of Crysis in? Well, no, that part is fictious.[...]

To which I replied

Bobby Phillipps wrote:

So... you lied for the purposes of sparking discussion and driving more traffic to the site? Good ethics you have there, Sander. Admirable, even. </sarcasm>

We've been duped.

________

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.