Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1764 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 07:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis

Re: How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Chris McGee Nov 17, 2007, 06:54pm EST Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Nov 17, 2007, 06:54pm EST

>> Re: Re: How EA games pushed me to pirate Crysis
Sander Sassen said:
Sigh, sometimes I get the distinct impression people are getting dumber by the minute?

It is not illegal to express your opinion about piracy, nor is it illegal to discuss piracy, heck it even isn't illegal to play the rol of the devil's advocate to provoke a discussion about piracy.

However discussing piracy does *not* include making posts that lead other members to become pirates themselves, ie. specific instructions, how-to's, links to warez, etc, etc.

Not allowing the discussion of piracy but for the manner described above, or express your opinion about the subject would be a direct violation of the fundamental right to express one's opinion and free speech.

Best regards,

Sander, you are right, it is not illegal to discuss piracy etc, it is, however, against the FUP of this site. The sentence 'I am just going to download Crysis off of a P2P network' not only tells people how to pirate copyrighted software, it positively encourages it when you consider your status as editor of the site.

The explanation you posted earlier (The 'of any nature' part clearly signifies that you're not to discuss how to crack a game) does not hold any water for anyone with a half decent command of the english language. If it meant do not discuss practical methods of software piracy, that it what it would have said. Do not discuss illegal acts of any nature is very clear and unambiguous and you have broken that rule.

It's your site and you can do what you want with it but don't lie to us and don't try and play us for a bunch of mugs.

edit: And yes, you can take this post as proof that people are getting 'dumber by the minute'. :P

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
CrAsHnBuRnXp Nov 17, 2007, 07:16pm EST Report Abuse
Sander Sassen said:
Mark,

You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to engage in or discuss illegal activities of any nature.

The 'of any nature' part clearly signifies that you're not to discuss how to crack a game, where to get serials, cracks, etc. A discussion about the act of piracy, or on piracy in general, is perfectly acceptable provided it does not mean you post direct links to clear examples of piracy, for example a link to a Crysis torrent. Obviously there's a bit of a grey area that needs further scrutiny, but I'm sure we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Cheers,

Then re-word the FUP. Because by what is quoted above, it states in laymen terms that there should not be any mention of it what-so-ever anywhere on the forum. Discussing how you may or may not pirate a game/movie/song/or whatever is still technically breaking the FUP.

CrAsHnBuRnXp Nov 17, 2007, 07:21pm EST Report Abuse
Sander Sassen said:
Hans Moleman said:
Sander Sassen said:
Mark,

You will not use these forums to violate any laws nor to engage in or discuss illegal activities of any nature.

The 'of any nature' part clearly signifies that you're not to discuss how to crack a game, where to get serials, cracks, etc. A discussion about the act of piracy, or on piracy in general, is perfectly acceptable provided it does not mean you post direct links to clear examples of piracy, for example a link to a Crysis torrent. Obviously there's a bit of a grey area that needs further scrutiny, but I'm sure we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Cheers,

Software piracy is illegal. Discussing software piracy is discussing an illegal activity. On what planet do the words "of any nature" clearly signify that discussing the ILLEGAL ACT OF PIRACY is ok?

If this thread were started by a member, I would have ignored it and waited for it to be locked or deleted. Moderators have consistently deleted threads like this since they violate the rules. I think that as the owner you should hold yourself to the same standard.

Frankly, if I were a mod, I would have quit too. The fact that you not only encouraged illegal activities, but also lied in an attempt to get more attention, is unprofessional and really injures the reputation of this forum. Excuse it however you like, the facts speak for themselves.

Sigh, sometimes I get the distinct impression people are getting dumber by the minute?

It is not illegal to express your opinion about piracy, nor is it illegal to discuss piracy, heck it even isn't illegal to play the rol of the devil's advocate to provoke a discussion about piracy.

However discussing piracy does *not* include making posts that lead other members to become pirates themselves, ie. specific instructions, how-to's, links to warez, etc, etc.

Not allowing the discussion of piracy but for the manner described above, or express your opinion about the subject would be a direct violation of the fundamental right to express one's opinion and free speech.

Best regards,

I agree. It is NOT illegal to express your opinion nor discuss piracy in its state. However, when you have the FUP state that it is against the rules to even mention illegal downloading is what is coming into play here. Not the fact that everyone outside this forum can talk about piracy. Its everyone inside this forum that has to abide by the forum rules which states that you will not talk about nor engage in illegal activities in any nature. That includes discussing it.

FordGT90Concept Nov 17, 2007, 07:30pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 17, 2007, 07:58pm EST

Sander Sassen said:
...dumber by the minute?

You already betrayed your members and now you're making them out to be dumb. Respect and support for you is sinking faster than the Titanic.

I really see one of two plausible solutions to this situation:
1) The all inclusive FUP is clarified to allow discussion of but not assisting or promoting of criminal activity (copyright infringement).
2) Article and subsequent threads deleted (as it is in violation of the existing FUP).

The third and unfavorable solution is to keep the status quo and let it erode away at HWA. Some already jumped ship, more will.

Fair Use Policy (FUP):

Let's fill it in as it applies to this instance...
Fair Use Policy (FUP):
You will not use these forums to infringe upon copyright law nor to point to where copyrighted material may be obtained illegally or discuss piracy of any nature.

The last half of the article is the discussion of piracy as does the title and you suggested P2P technology as a means to obtain copyrighted material. The FUP, as is, caught your article in two violations.

Vitaliy (Administrator) Nov 17, 2007, 07:37pm EST Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 18, 2007, 03:24pm EST

Can we drop this conversation?

I think everyone understands now what the intent of the article was, and what the intent of FUP is. For example, terrorism is illegal, but certainly there is no intention for FUP to prevent people from discussing 9/11 or other current events (other than the fact that it is off-topic for this site).

We'll review FUP to clarify things. There is no need to cling to every word, they aren't the Constitution and we aren't arguing a case in the Supreme Court.

EDIT: I'm locking this thread after deleting a handful of post after this one. If you'd like to discuss DRM or other digital rights policies please start a new thread in appropriate forum. Please refrain from attacking other forum members or staff.

This thread has been locked by forum moderators and no further posts are allowed.

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.