Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1753 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 07:40pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Will Microsoft keep missing the boat?

Re: Will Microsoft keep missing the boat? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Michel Merlin Jan 31, 2008, 02:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 31, 2008, 03:44am EST

>> W3.11WG networked well already; W95's success was drivers and marketing

DsL.Dilbert said
Bill Gates had the foresight to know the value of [TCP/IP] and delayed [Windows 95] so that it could be included... the situation of market share today for Microsoft and Apple might be different had Bill Gates not taken the extra time to include TCP/IP.

Networking with W3.11WG (Windows 3.11 for Workgroups) was just as reliable, and even easier, than with W95 - at least as long as you remained in MS networks, which was then the case for about everyone. Windows 95's real improvement was IMO (as I recalled on http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/70370/?o=40#525864 Wed 16 Jan 2008 17:20 GMT above) that it came with modern WDM 32-bit virtual drivers for 95% of the hardware then available. This was also IMO one of the most important real causes for W95's success (notwithstanding marketing causes). I don't think at all that just adding a complete TCP/IP stack in W95 caused a big change in 2008 market shares.

The above is only my rememberings. For more, see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.1x#Windows_for_Workgroups
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_95#Internet_Explorer

Versailles, Thu 31 Jan 2008 08:47:00 +0100, edited (phrasing) 09:44:30

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dustin Horne Feb 01, 2008, 02:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Re: Will Microsoft keep missing the boat?
Awesome! Now this is what I like to see....people are actually "Analyzing" things and formulating ideas about possibilities instead of just bitching. :D

Yuhong Bao Apr 14, 2008, 09:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 14, 2008, 09:06pm EDT

Sorry, that was a mistake. Please ignore

rob temp Aug 28, 2008, 05:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The problem (or is it?) is that microsoft define what a boat is. Whether the technology is stolen, bought, sat-on or corrupted by them, m$'s marketting dept can push their mediocre products to the masses and, unfortunately, at the moment, the masses use and even purchase it in preferrence to anything else, free or otherwise. Unfortunately as a powerless user i have to live by the maxim: Life's a bitch and then u die.
As frustrating as it is (to a unix & 8bit veteran), i actually prefer to use M$ windows, simply because of the software base behind it.

cheers,
Rob.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.