Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1174 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 02:12am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Compaq Presario v3000 doesn't start-help!!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Pratish Menon Mar 17, 2008, 08:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Compaq Presario v3000 doesn't start-help!!!
Hi Robinson,

I bought my laptop in Mumbai, but same difference; I have a national one-year carry-in warranty on this anyway.

I am not really sure about how we can deal with them, esp when the warranty's expired. In fact, when they first checked my serial number in their system they told me that the system was out of warranty. I had to produce the bills to prove that this was not the case.

I'd recommend that you speak to the HP Service Centre folks at 040 23388511. They seemed quite helpful, but adamant where the warranty was concerned.

Good luck and hope it works out without any damage to your wallet!

Cheers,
Prats

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Dave Yezback Mar 17, 2008, 09:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HP said if I authorized a $399 charge to my cc they would send a box and fix it with 90 day warranty.

Laptop Willie Mar 17, 2008, 10:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pratish Menon said:
Thanks Ric :)

Like you said, I'm saved this time. I am seriously considering buying an extended warranty so I don't have to shell out a humongous amount of money to get it up & running again!

By the way, Windows Update shows an 'update' to the nVidia GeForce driver; it's an optional hardware update but I am not quite sure if I should be going ahead and installing it. Any thoughts?

P.S. The new motherboard pops up an HP display logo now; it used be the COMPAQ one before the replacement. I am not sure it will make much of a difference though :)

Extended warranty. Good idea. With the numbers of problems listed just here, I'd get it for as long as I could. HP could show some class by recalling or extending the warranty without charge on these models. If you recall, Dell had to be sued to make that happen.

I personally use the automatic update feature in windows. this checks you system for what it needs and installs it. No problems so far.

The logo doesn't make any difference. The bios holds this logo. It just proves that these boards are used in both computers and will have the same problems.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Pratish Menon Mar 17, 2008, 10:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 17, 2008, 10:13am EDT

Yeah, they've been hard-selling the extended warranty quite a bit and they have 1/2/3 year options as well. Will probably go in for the one-year warranty for now.

Am planning to try out that Windows update tonight; shall keep you posted on the outcome. Fingers crossed! :)

Dave:
I think you should have a word with HP to figure out what the problem really is. Is your laptop out of warranty as well? If so, there's precious little you can do unless you haven't tried out all the solutions mentioned in this thread.

Good luck.

Cheers,
Prats

Dave Yezback Mar 17, 2008, 11:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
HP and I talked, they were adament about it being out of warranty and offered the $399 repair.

I will try again with a letter since the phone person may be scripted.

It just looks like they have a overheating problem that they corrected in later models.

Not Happy. :(

john albrich Mar 17, 2008, 12:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pratish Menon said:
...In fact, when they first checked my serial number in their system they told me that the system was out of warranty. I had to produce the bills to prove that this was not the case....

That is EXACTLY what HP service/support tried to do to me, too.

I bought an still factory-sealed HP drive directly off-the-shelf from retailer OfficeMax. When I tried to send it in for repair/replace (well within the written one-year-from-date-of-purchase manufacturer's warranty), HP support told me their records showed that the warranty had expired almost a year ago. That would mean it had to have been purchased almost TWO YEARS ago.

Here's just a tiny fraction of the months-long painful and incredibly time-consuming story:

14:58 START OF CALL with person named "Jack". At this point in time, the support was being provided domestically in the U.S.

First Problem experienced with HP phone support was:
Their automated system said product was out of warranty based ONLY on product and model number...
(note: Jack hadn't even asked me for the purchase date)

Jack put me on hold to research the "out of warranty" issue.

Then, he asked me for yet another "Product Number". I gave him ALL the numbers available on the box, the drive itself, and electronically, and NONE of the numbers (or any other information I provided) satisfied Jack.

15:48
Jack got back on the phone, and told me he still needed the product
number, and I told him I'd given him EVERY number possible. There are no more data to give. (I suppose I could loaded a copy of the firmware and calculated the firmware checksum and given that to him, but somehow I don't think that would help)

Jack asked me if I was looking at the "top" of the drive. I told him
yes, I was, and by the way, the bottom of the drive is completely blank. No writing, no engraving, no labels, etc.

I again told him there were no additional product numbers on the drive
or the product box or electronically using drive interrogation utilities. He has every scrap of data about that drive to which I have access.

At this point, Jack told me (yet again) to "find the product number and when you do, call back to us."

That statement, and the way he said it, blew me away. Many of you might agree I'm more or less technically competent. Jack made it sound like he thought I couldn't tie my own shoelaces. (I bet he didn't even know what I was talking about when I told him about electronically interrogating the drive's data)

In response to that condescending remark, I asked Jack very politely to let me speak with a manager. He refused to do so.

Jack then repeated his "find the product number and when you do, call
back to us." line.

I then responded with, "If a 1st line manager not avail, I'd be willing to talk to a 2nd line."

"Jack" repeated that NO manager is available."

I asked to go over the data I'd provided again. He reluctantly agreed to do so.

We went over the numbers yet again, without any resolution to the new "Product Number" problem.

15:55
At this point, Jack said he had to go back to "your case information"
again, and asked me to hold on. I told him I would. Being suspicious, and having been on the phone for a long time already, I asked him to confirm he'd call me back if we got "disconnected for some reason". Jack confirmed he had all my contact info, read it back to me, and said he would call me back if we got disconnected.

At 16:03,
"On-hold" music stopped playing and call was disconnected BY HP SUPPORT

"Jack" NEVER called back.

After months of my trying to deal with HP support desk on this problem, HP "support" transferred my "case" to an overseas support desk. They insisted that I had to start over, from square one. EVERYTHING communicated with the US desk was simply dis-regarded. Also, by this time, my one-year warranty (from date of purchase) had expired by a few weeks. Things deteriorated from then on .

Months later, the problem was NEVER resolved through HP support.

john albrich Mar 17, 2008, 01:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 17, 2008, 01:08pm EDT

Reference: my above post

About 5 months after I first tried to get warranty service on this drive, I got an email from HP that contained this self-serving gem:
...Once again, thank you for contacting HP Total Care. Delivering total support for all of your HP products.
HP Total Care is a J.D. Power and Associates Certified Technology Service and Support Center, recognized for consistently providing "An Outstanding* Customer Service Experience".

To HP's Total Care system (ca. 2006)...you suck!

To HP's individual technically competent employees...you rock!

*Note that it said "Outstanding". It didn't say "Superior". Perhaps it was "Consistently...Outstandingly" bad?

BTW, The failed drive was eventually replaced to exceed my satisfactions. But, doing so required my being lucky that an HP employee decided to act well beyond his official job responsibilities. In doing so, he completely by-passed HP's award-winning "Total Care" support system in place at that time.

In just a few minutes, that employee took care of the customer the way "HP's Total Care" should have taken care of the customer all those months ago.

Pratish Menon Mar 17, 2008, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dave:
If it's an overheating problem, I am almost expecting mine to conk off again. The problem actually did get progressively worse as temperatures in this part of the world started soaring (maybe HP will blame global warming for this? 8) ). In any case, I hope that writing a letter will elicit a better response from them? It's not uncommon for these companies to palm off products with problems and not recall/replace faulty products... In fact, I sincerely hope that nobody gets hurt by the overheating or something... That's probably when this problem would take on more serious proportions.

For the record, I have a Canon PowershotA95 which developed a problem with its CCD (after over two years of purchase in another country). The service centre shipped the part from Japan and replaced it absolutely free of cost, even though it was well out of warranty, stating that this was a 'known issue' and that Canon was doing it for all cameras developing such problems. Evidently, this problem was brought upon by warm temperatures & humid conditions :) I guess it's a sin to own any electronic equipment in a warm country? :O

Pratish Menon Mar 17, 2008, 01:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John, you certainly seem to have tasted both the worst and best of HP customer support... By the way, while hardselling the extended warranty to me, they tried to sell me extra RAM and god-knows-what-else-but-i-didn't-need as well...

I got an insight into the serial number problem too. It seems that the 'distributors' register the serial number with HP when they get hold of the product. HP keys this into the system. Usually, the retailer that you buy the product from, is supposed to communicate the serial numbers of the products sold and the entries are updated in HP's system. However, most retailers fail to do so and the end result - the warranty tends to be backdated... and causes problems for people like us. In my case, the warranty was dated as expiring on Feb 9, 2008 whereas according to my bill, it would be May 3, 2008!

This particular piece of info was incidentally (and probably accidentally) communicated to me by one of the (well intentioned & helpful) chaps at the service centre.

Robin Mitchell Apr 04, 2008, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Regarding the original topic of this forum:

jarrod Avilan said:
Hi

I have a compaq presario v3000 that simply won't start. I press the on button and the top row of lights (on switch light, vloume control, mute and DVD player light) comes on but thats it. Occasionally i hear some faint 'boot sounds' from inside but thats it.
Please help!

I have had the same problem for about a year now. I could take up space and time by explaining why HP wouldn't fix it, but instead I'll say what I found as a possible solution.

I had a lot of problems on my V3000 that I thought were hardware problems:
Laptop wouldn't start at all without being plugged in,
When plugged in, starting takes a few tries,
Wireless internet card inoperable,
Network card gets an "unknown error" when I try to look at properties,
When I close the screen with the computer and speakers on, speakers make a terrible screeching noise. But when they are muted, it's fine.

So I figured reinstalling Windows might help to solve some of the more software related ones. So I erased my Windows XP Home install and installed Windows XP Professional.

Instantly, ALL my problems were fixed. Amazing, I thought. I was very happy.

I turned it off and on with and without the battery lots of times just becuase I was so happy it would finally start. Because after all a laptop that won't start without AC is hardly portable.

But, after two days worth of installing stuff and updating stuff, the startup problem returned. Now I am very sad. I am suspicious that it was caused when I downloaded some recommended Compaq drivers from Microsoft update. So now I am thinking about reinstalling Windows again and doing like one update at a time to make sure this doens't happen again.

I hope this information helps us find the solution.

john albrich Apr 04, 2008, 03:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Robin Mitchell said:
...I am suspicious that it was caused when I downloaded some recommended Compaq drivers from Microsoft update. So now I am thinking about reinstalling Windows again and doing like one update at a time to make sure this doens't happen again....

Some ideas that might save you some time next time this happens:

1) Before installing each update, create a restore point. That way, you can always back-out the update to the last known "good" restore-point and you won't necessarily have to re-install to get rid of a problem. If you don't want to take the time to create a restore-point before each and every update, an alternative is to create a restore point after every 3 or 4 updates...it will save a little time, but of course the granularity of the saved system state is reduced. Which means that when the problem occurs you may have to go back to the last known "good" restore-point and still install one or two more updates afterwards (because they weren't captured in the last restore-point)

or, my preferred way to handle problems like thsi...

2) While you're updating, create a periodic backup of the system disk. You can use a freeware program like DriveImageXML (majorgeeks.com) to do so. Again, this can save you time in that you don't have to go through all the re-install and update procedures if some particular updates cause a problem. You just load your last working "good" backup image, and you're up and running again. However, since you're not creating a backup before every update, again you may need to still install the few updatss between your last backup and the "bad" update you discover. Still, you can save a lot of time. Another advantage of this approach is that when you are done you will have a known good backup image of your system ready to use in the future so you won't have to waste time re-installing from scratch next time you have a problem.

Laptop Willie Apr 04, 2008, 04:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It may also be possible to just uninstall the suspected upgrades and save time and trouble.

Laptop Willie
john albrich Apr 04, 2008, 07:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 04, 2008, 07:15pm EDT

Laptop Willie said:
It may also be possible to just uninstall the suspected upgrades and save time and trouble.

That's true, but I never fully trust Windows or application uninstalls. I've had too many time-wasting experiences with them. A lot of detritus is often left in the registry. However, sometimes a high-quality 3rd party uninstaller will provide acceptable results.

Ric Shanahan Apr 05, 2008, 04:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well now I'm heartbroken. Tried what was in my power to get my 'white screen' LCD display to show normally. Finally ordered a new(er) display on eBay, put it in this afternoon and... a white display. This means that maybe the original display was OK. S-video and VGA both work. So can Laptop Willie or you other kind folks provide any tests or tricks for me? Someone mentioned the motherboard. Maybe, but as I said earlier the machine boots, works on axillary video, seems to run fine with the exception of the LCD. Thanks to all.

Manny Santos Apr 15, 2008, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem.

I've sent it to HP repair centre and they said that the motherboard is faulty!!!

l gerard May 04, 2008, 01:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yeah same problem here. lucky for me, they replaced my motherboard. took me about 1+ week. after they have replaced the motherboard, i've noticed that they updated the bios too. you should read the link provided earlier (hp limited warranty).

And from the website, it is stated that even if your warranty is over, maybe 1 year, they can still replace for you . (i think 2 years).. check the website for more info.

well thanks for the help too. i freaked out earlier when i did not know what had happened until i read this site.

Laptop Willie May 04, 2008, 01:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 04, 2008, 01:26pm EDT

Ric Shanahan said:
Well now I'm heartbroken. Tried what was in my power to get my 'white screen' LCD display to show normally. Finally ordered a new(er) display on eBay, put it in this afternoon and... a white display. This means that maybe the original display was OK. S-video and VGA both work. So can Laptop Willie or you other kind folks provide any tests or tricks for me? Someone mentioned the motherboard. Maybe, but as I said earlier the machine boots, works on axillary video, seems to run fine with the exception of the LCD. Thanks to all.

Ric,
Sorry I haven't gotten back sooner, Life happens. As I have suggested other laptops, it is most likely that the video BGA has "popped" a solder ball on the IC. This Can happen when the motherboard is flexed. The flexing could be caused by heat or by smiply picking it up. To me, the case isn't rugged enough to support the weight of the full laptop and bends the motherboard. That is my opinion of what has happened. Of course I could be wrong. In changing the LCD, did you also replace the LCD cable?

Laptop Willie
Ric Shanahan May 04, 2008, 07:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi. Laptop Willie. That is a strong possibility. I had replaced the keyboard and top case. (Cable to LCD was replaced when I installed the new display.) Case really is kind of flimsy. Rather than give up on such a nice laptop I sent it out to CA via eBay. Waiting to hear what they find. In an email they said it sounded like a motherboard issue which they could repair. Thanks for your response!

eve j May 06, 2008, 04:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yep, same problem here too - the lights come on but nobody's home. I thought it was related to the sleep function, like it wont wake up. (Mine also had regular bouts of blue screen, with a message like ”crash physical memory dumps” when I used movie maker and other video editing programs).

Sometimes I could coerce it to wake up but then finally it would not budge no matter what I tried so I rang HP and they took it in to replace the system board (still under warranty).

When I got it back things seemed to go okay initially and HP recommended I update the drivers for the video stuff/blue screen problem. Did that but still got a blue screen dump shortly after.

Anyway, the other day it did it again. Lights on, nobody home and it ain’t waking up. Rang HP, they said system board needs replacing. I said they already did that and it is now two months out of warranty but the chick said she’d do it under warranty anyway (phew).

But what the heck is going on? I found this item which seems similar to our problem – seems to be a dud model!

http://www.crn.com.au/News/15493,hp-aust-pledges-to-replace-fa...-part.aspx

What can we do?
(I’ve only had a quick squiz at this thread so if someone has already answered stuff that Ive raised Id be grateful if youd paste as a direct reply to mine).

Pratish Menon May 06, 2008, 04:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Guys,

I got an email from HP a coupla days ago....

Here's a link
https://h50084.www5.hp.com/rd.asp?ID=MTAyNTA5MTQmODY0MyY2MzY5J...1nJTNEJTNE

They're talking about an extended warranty (free) for the laptops with the models mentioned. I'd recommend that you check the link and find out if your model and its symptoms qualify for a 'free replacement' and the extended warranty.

Good Luck :)

cheers,
Prats

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.