Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1083 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 09:42am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Compaq Presario v3000 doesn't start-help!!! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Robin Mitchell May 06, 2008, 10:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Compaq Presario v3000 doesn't start-help!!!
Well after reinstalling operating systems and trying all kinds of things, the problems wouldn't go away:

The laptop wouldn't turn on without being plugged in
It wouldn't turn on the first try ever
The wireless internet card almost never got powered on by the computer
The network settings were inaccessible (Unknown Error)

So, I downloaded the Compaq Service Manual for the computer. The problems all pointed to the motherboard. So I ordered a new one for $350 from HP. It was a relatively easy install with the manual, and now the computer is like brand new!

I will be happy if HP gave out a free extended warranty, although I already spent my $350..

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
none none Sep 15, 2008, 02:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
same problem and its terrible. been doing hard reboot since 5 hours ago with no luck on seeing anything.

Ric Shanahan Sep 16, 2008, 06:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Tristan. I use my v3000 more as a learning tool than a necessary item. After I lost the ability to see the screen I spent money on a new display. No joy but it is a better display than I had. Short version, I sent it out to a repair shop and $250 later had a new graphics chip. The computer still freezes randomly (5 minutes or less to sometimes almost an hour). I would listen to the last advice and replace the motherboard. I think the new ones have fewer problems.

Ross Walker Sep 25, 2008, 10:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Several PC's and Laptops ( Compaq & HP ) have a problem with hardware conflicts during boot-up. All of them seem to have AMD processors, and they all require their BIOS to be upgraded. If you go to the HP website, search for software updates & downloads for your model, you will se on the page with the downloadable files a notice from HP concerning some models. Follow that link and you may find that your model qualifies for FREE repairs.
There is an updated BIOS file + winflash for those models that are still working but experiencing problems.

Ric Shanahan Sep 29, 2008, 06:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi. Good advice on the BIOS but I have installed F.3C version and still have the problem (random freezes). I have been experimenting with nVidia drivers NOT from the HP website. If I have any success I will post it here first, but an HP tech said the motherboard needed replacement, not under warranty. About $300 plus shipping. Grrr...

akhtar hossain Oct 04, 2008, 01:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Compaq Presario V3000 - Does Not Recognize Hard Drive
My Comapq Persario V3000 suddenly stopped working. It will start to boot up and then do a memory dump. This cycle will continue attempt to boot up and do a memory dump.

1. I ran the Hard Drive Diagonstic Test - Both the Quick and Comprehensive Tests are successful.

2. I then used a Windows XP install CD and booted up from the CD. In teh setup program when I selected to Repair and even Install I get an error stating that no hard drive was found.

What do you recommend I should do as the next step.

Ric Shanahan Oct 05, 2008, 01:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi. A sudden failure usually indicates a hardware failure. It COULD be the hard drive but since your diagnostics found it it may not be. If you have access to another computer, download and burn a CD copy of 'Bart PE', http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/ . Change the boot order in BIOS. This will allow you to look around after booting from the CD. Depending on the drive brand you may also want to download 'SEA Tools' http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools and burn to a CD. This will diagnose many brands of HDD. (My v3000 need a motherboard to fix my problem, an investment I can not make for a machine I only use to learn on. Your case may be different.) Good Luck!

Bronia Gres Oct 07, 2008, 12:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you all for posting on this matter. I took me 25 times to start up my Presario v3000 so I went to look up how to resbuild it and I found this this chat about the problem. I also have the wirless issue - it went out about 9 months ago for no reason, than wireless came back about 3 months ago for about 3 days and now it's gonne again. I contacted HP regarding this issue:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&...&cc=us

and they said it known issue and are sending me box to have mother board replace - I am sooooo happy becaue I already started to look for another laptop.

Thank you everybody.

Saurabh Bansal Dec 05, 2008, 02:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Even am having the same problem, random freezes and it just wont start without the power cable plugged in, and evn free extended warranty is n't applicable outside US, any solutions so far?
mine is compaq v3424AU

Saurabh Bansal Dec 05, 2008, 02:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 05, 2008, 02:14pm EST

Even am having the same problem, random freezes and it just wont start without the power cable plugged in, and evn free extended warranty is n't applicable outside US, any solutions so far?
mine is compaq v3424AU

Shannon's Theorem Dec 29, 2008, 01:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi
I had this non starting problem 2 times during last 2 years.
HP replaced the motherboard twice during this time (free - because of 1 yr original warranty + 1 yr extended warranty for this problem.)
This problem is not AMD specific, one of my friend had intel dual core, he too had the same problem.
It's advised on HP site to upgrade the bios (download and run the exe file).

Even after doing all this - I find that my laptop sometimes gives trouble.
It doesn't start sometimes. So I have to remove battery and try starting it 4-5 times untill it starts windows. It wastes a lot of time to start it sometimes. I'm not sure whether to ask for warranty for this problem. Is anybody here having the same problem?

m j Dec 30, 2008, 11:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah I've been having this problem as well. I've seen posts of people having their system board replaced several times, so I'm not even going to bother picking up a system board on ebay. I know there's a extended warranty HP is providing for this issue, but I bought mine overseas and am no longer there, so for me to be covered I'd have to send it from india. It's just annoying to have to disconnect everything and wait just to power it on. Although today I powered off and back on atleast 5x and it's come up everytime. Someone mentioned that solder was popping off a chip when flexed? You think it would be feasable to open the laptop up and resolder those solder points if that is the problem?

Shannon's Theorem Dec 31, 2008, 01:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Which solder are u talking abt? i ll have to see the service manual. but what if it makes it unusable? atleast now it starts, wastes 20 mins though. i ll chk out my local service centre again prolly.

m j Dec 31, 2008, 01:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 31, 2008, 01:16pm EST

Laptop Willie said:
Pratish Menon said:
Since my laptop was still under warranty, I went to the HP authorized service centre in my city. They had to replace the motherboard; would have cost me around $500 but the warranty saved me!

It saved you this time.
I have had a chance to delve into this model and have found that it suffers from the same problems that many others do. The video chips are BGA (Ball Grid Array) chips. These chips work fine until the motherboard is flexed by heat or by the owner applying to much force when picking them up. The chip then pops one or more solder joints and the damage is done. This type chip has no leads and is soldered to the board by the smallest bead of solder. In the manufacturing process if the board fails testing, it is sent to an xray machine to see if the beads have shorted. if not, the board is reheated to re-flow the solder beads. When the board passes, it is sent to whom ever for making the computer. The problem with the xray unit is it can only see if a bead is shorted, not if it is not soldered properly. That is why many BGA chips "fail" in your computer. Some rework plants are using a bonding agent to try and bond the chips to the board to reduce the flexing of these boards. To correct this problem at the start, requires a thicker main/mother board to reduce flexing of the board. This requires forethought and attention to quality before the first chip is soldered. I'm done preaching now.:)

Marlon Sionzon Feb 02, 2009, 03:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,
Need help on a Compaq Presario V3000 (p/n GC263PA). Was updating the Bios by using the one on the HP website (F.39) and the update was completed but after the restart, the Windows XP on it crashed. Keeps restarting now. Hard Drive Self Test passes but even if I try using windows XP installer, all it says is there is no hard disk detected.
Anybody there who can help me? I sure would appreciate it. Thanks in advance

Rohit Venkat Feb 13, 2009, 06:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I have been having the same problem on my v3228AU for almost two months. But I feel It all went south after I ungraded to the F.39 bios. I have replaced the harddrive, the ram reinstalled the operating system more than 3 time over the past 2 weeks, And in an act of desperation i actually took the damn thing completely apart to put some new heatsink compound. And the best part of it all I was sane enough to bring this thing all the way from India to the US thinking its a good computer. I am so frustrated with this computer I probably wont buy a compaq ever again.

Laptop Willie Feb 14, 2009, 09:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rohit Venkat said:
Hi, I have been having the same problem on my v3228AU for almost two months. But I feel It all went south after I ungraded to the F.39 bios. I have replaced the harddrive, the ram reinstalled the operating system more than 3 time over the past 2 weeks, And in an act of desperation i actually took the damn thing completely apart to put some new heatsink compound. And the best part of it all I was sane enough to bring this thing all the way from India to the US thinking its a good computer. I am so frustrated with this computer I probably wont buy a compaq ever again.

It would appear that you can get into your BIOS. If so you may not have it set correctly. I really am not sure if this is the case, but in some BIOS you can set your HDD size. It is best in all cases to set this to auto detect. It will detect the size of the hard drive and detect that it is there. If it doesn't detect it then, you most likely have a bad Hard Drive.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
mathias reno Mar 19, 2009, 05:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We should sue HP for that. I bought a mb on eBay because i was out of warranty and now i have the same problem again. It's a shame that Hp did not replace this defected mb to every one even over warranty or to sell it for cheap price. personally i'll never buy any hp product.......finito with this garbage........

Herry Janto May 17, 2009, 01:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
jarrod Avilan said:
Hi

I have a compaq presario v3000 that simply won't start. I press the on button and the top row of lights (on switch light, vloume control, mute and DVD player light) comes on but thats it. Occasionally i hear some faint 'boot sounds' from inside but thats it.
Please help!

I had the same problem like you, with the defferent reason. After using V3000 from morning to afternoon, when I want to use it again in night, my V3000 cannot be boot up. All the blue light still on, but I cannot see anything on the monitor. I try to open all the screw driver but I change my mind, I search anywhere about the same problem I had, and I decided to follow Ben Mas (http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/71328/?o=20#558738) , open the hard drive cover then pull out the batteray (back up batteray) connector, connect the V3000 to the power supply, the notebook boot up... Then I shut it down, replug the batteray connector and the hard drive. Then my V3000 came back normal.... Thanks to Ben Mas....

Binh Vo Jun 03, 2009, 06:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

My laptop seemed to have this problem just now. I turned it on and it did run until I put in the window password to log on, but it kept saying, "Now loading your personal setting," and it doesn't do anything else.

I'm thinking it has a virus, but I'm not sure. Can anyone confirm if this is indeed the same problem everyone else is having? (the BIOS and replacement of system board.

I'm not a computer-savvy and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.