Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1491 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 12 - 02:47pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

exentia pc - monitor goes on/off intermitantly? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
Paul Eades Nov 19, 2010, 08:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Nov 19, 2010, 08:52am EST

>> Re: exentia pc - monitor goes on/off intermitantly?
Think I may have traced the problem in PC No. 2. I swapped the psu with my other Elonex and it worked fine, so faulty PSU methinks! Noted that the faulty PSU is the earlier version (REV00) the newer updated version in PC No. 1 being REV001. Anyway I saw a note on this site by Gerald Naidoo in S Africa (thanks Gerald by the way!) who suggested the problem was the smoothing capacitor in the PSU so I changed it and so far it seems to be OK. I will report further following extensive testing. Fingers crossed!!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
M H Nov 19, 2010, 10:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Paul,

Just read your update for the elonex problem which it seems you have finally sorted out, WELL DONE

Can you advise where you got your replacement parts from to carry out the replacements and do you have an in put as to how to strip the elonex to get to the parts and replace them.

I have managed to split the main unit from the base up to now but called it a draw after that as I became quite worried about losing track of the wires and plugs etc if I started to take them apart, not to mention the few plastic lugs I manged to snap off when attempting to take the main unit apart.

regards

Malcolm

Paul Eades Nov 19, 2010, 10:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 19, 2010, 10:42am EST

Hi Malcolm

Try the following link to see pictures of how to dismantle it.

http://www.laptops-we-r.com/610%20MEDIA%20CENTER%20OPENING%20REPAIR.htm

See also the following link for a written description of how to dismantle it:

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1208040-gateway_610xl_disassembly

Getting to the PSU was actually quite easy, just take your time. I would suggest however that you get a magnetic phillips screwdriver because it's a fiddly job getting screws in and out due to their location and also put the PC 'screen down' with a cloth underneath when you work on it.

Note that I have had to replace inverters on my other Elonex, but here the screen just went blank - possibly because the fan vents had blocked up with dust over the years and maybe overheated!

On this Elonex however, the screen flicked on and off, so I took the advice and replaced the PSU smoothing capacitor. Note that the capacitor was purchased from:

RS Components
P.O. Box 99
Corby
Northants
NN17 9RS

http://rswww.com/

Stock No. 575-416 and is a Snap-In Cap HC 150uF 450V 105deg C. Note the size is 30mm H by 25mm W and the distance between the terminals is 10mm. Price 18.60 for two (one as a spare) including VAT plus P&P - a bit steep but cheaper than a new PSU! I suggest you open up your own PSU to check first however.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

cheers

Paul

Brian Lee Dec 14, 2011, 04:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Gerald, many thanks for the advice, I have successfully carried out the repair you describe for around 5 and an hours work using a Panasonic cap (EETHC2W151CA from RS Components - stock no. 575-416).

Best wishes,

Brian

M H Dec 14, 2011, 07:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello Everyone,

Did anybody ever get a copy of the elonex extia assembly/stri[p down instructions that would allow us to strip down and get to the parts that need replacing.

If anyone does have the instructions in pdf could they put them on the site for us to access or send an e-mail where we could get in touch for a copy.

It would be apprciated by all.

regards

barmal

mike kuzma Apr 04, 2012, 07:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
actually the problem i have is when i turn my EL EX on a box appears on the screen displaying a self diagnosis that says no signal check signal cable can anyone help me?

Paul Eades Apr 04, 2012, 08:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oddly enough I have recently been having the same problem, so any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

edwardallene Apr 10, 2012, 08:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I should say that your problem is my problem too. It flickers many times and I have a hint that the monitor plug is loose that is why monitor flicks but I repaired it and nothing's happened. I hope everybody here could help us. Thank you.

ben panesar Sep 23, 2012, 07:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Paul E
Been following all the posts with interest,I also have a Elonex Exentia with the dreaded blinking of the monitor screen. I had replaced both invertors approx 8 to 10 months ago all was fine until the screen stated to flicker again.
Questions
1/Has the replacement smoothing capaicators fixed the flickering screen issue for good ?
2/ If not how long before the return of the fault ?
3/Just a matter of time weather it goes to PC heaven or invest some more time into this hobby pf ours which keep the forums intresting!
4/Any help would be appreciated
Regards Ben

ben panesar Sep 23, 2012, 07:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Guys
Have had this blinking screen so on another post to replace the ram modules ( I did for some spares I had ) so now running 1 GB from 2 and for the time no screen blanking !
Will keep you posted on developments
Regards Ben

Paul Eades Sep 24, 2012, 08:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 24, 2012, 08:46am EDT

Just to throw in my pennies worth!

I have had ongoing problems with a flickering screen for some time and up to a point have reduced, but not eliminated the problem. I have tried all the usual including the following:

* replacing inverters on several occasions
* replacing the PSU with the REV 01 modified version (3 times)
* pulling out the PSU connectors and replacing them again (bad connections)
* stripping the PC down without a back, so as to reduce the internal temperatures which according to a temperature diagnosis tool I used seems to run hotter than normal even with the fans running normally and the vents cleaned
* reducing the hardware acceleration on the video as low as it will go to reduce the drain on power required.

What I have noticed, is that the problem usually (but not always) occurs when I am trying to run anything on video playback or TV. I have also noticed a clicking sound somewhere at the back on occasions when the screen blanks off, but have not been able to locate exactly where it comes from.

Most (but not all) of the time, I can get it to run standard PC functions such as e-mail and internet. If I do get blinking, I often find that shutting the PC down and removing and replacing the PRU leads will cure it temporarily. I suspect there may be several reasons why the blinking occurs, which may individually (or collectively) contribute to the problem, hence the difficulty in pinning it down.

E.g. PSU is unable to provide enough power to run the video functions and assuming the PSU is functioning correctly, possibly due to poor connections limiting the amount of juice available to components. Some components suffering from intermittent breakdown due to poor design, faulty parts, gradual deterioration or overheating. I do not think the inverters are the primary reason for this problem, as in my experience when they go, they go - there is nothing intermittent about it - the screen just goes blank! Changing them has not altered the blinking problem. I also upgraded the RAM to 2GB sometime ago and that does not appear to have made any difference either.

ben panesar Sep 24, 2012, 10:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Paul

Thanks for your concise information.

I was just about to purchase the capacitors which I will hold at the moment so in summary should I go around to the power supply of things and look and upgrading and keeping it out of the machine as suggested by others on the forum?

I've actually loaded XP basic been running hard with no issues on iplayer etc have alos removed the rear ram stick down from 2 GB to 1 GB will keep testing to see If a see an improvement

Is the machine still in use or have you finally given up.

Regards Ben

Paul Eades Sep 24, 2012, 10:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The machine is still being used, but nothing like to the extent it was. I have given up watching TV on it, as the downgraded hardware acceleration won't support the software, which takes a lot of processing power. I also watch some limited video material, but also on a reduced screen size and resolution. Generally it is happy running standard PC stuff and music files most of the time.

ben panesar Sep 24, 2012, 10:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Paul

Thanks for you comments and advice so far.

Have you considered upping the wattage of the power supply to 200 or 250 watts if indeed the original supply is not man enough Etc

This will save me a lot of time and trouble if you have already gone down this route ?

Thanks again for your advice

Regards Ben

Paul Eades Sep 24, 2012, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I haven't gone down this route myself, as I suspect that this may be a bit of a red herring seeing as how it worked perfectly well for years with the standard PSU. I rather suspect the problem is elsewhere!

ben panesar Sep 27, 2012, 05:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

ben panesar Sep 27, 2012, 05:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Paul
Thanks for your info I've reimaged my PC toWindows XP rmoved my 1 GB memory stick from the rear slot and all appears to be well !
Will keep testing and feedback any issues as they appear

Regarsd Ben

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.