Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1079 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:22pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Site Comments /

How can we improve HWA?! 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Dr. Peaceful Mar 23, 2008, 05:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: How can we improve HWA?!
Sean Costello said:
cant wait ;)

Me, too. Sounds like very good stuffs from Vitaliy's posts above.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Mar 23, 2008, 05:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 23, 2008, 06:03pm EDT

Moved to PM so as not to clutter here.

Gerritt Mar 24, 2008, 10:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Insofar as the avitar/pic/gif options, why don't we compromise and attach them to the profile page only. That way if I want to see your mug or cute animated unicorn or whatnot I can see it when I view your profile, and don't have to see it in the post threads themselves?
This would allow a level of personallization without cluttering the threads, and reduce the bandwidth required to serve up the site.
Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Dr. Peaceful Mar 24, 2008, 11:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After looking at some of the other forums (fora?) out there. I truly think that HWA should maintain its clean and professional look. While it won't hurt to add a tiny bit of colorful features, but I think maintaining a primarily text based system will suffice. It will keep things simple and straight to the point.

Take a look at this thread from another forum. All those smilies hurts my eyes. I hope HWA won't turn into some cheesy sh*t like that. ;)
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/275053.aspx

john albrich Mar 24, 2008, 03:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dr. Peaceful said:
...Take a look at this thread from another forum. All those smilies hurts my eyes. I hope HWA won't turn into some cheesy sh*t like that. ;)
http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/275053.aspx

Gaaaahhhhh!!!! My eyes! My eyes!

Gerritt Mar 24, 2008, 10:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oy veh,
I thought I came up with a solution that helped both, clean and providing an avitar.
Am I such a joke now that the present posters just ignore what I was trying to say?
I re-state; I DON'T want avitars in the post, but am willing to accept them in the profile.
I don't really care what your bandwidth is, it is the bandwidth of HWA that I'm concerned about, and I think a profile based avitar is better than a post avitar, though none is better from my perspective.

Gerritt
GAHHHHH...my rant...sorry folks.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
john albrich Mar 24, 2008, 11:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gerritt said:
...Am I such a joke now that the present posters just ignore what I was trying to say?...
I don't really care what your bandwidth is, it is the bandwidth of HWA that I'm concerned about, and I think a profile based avitar is better than a post avitar, though none is better from my perspective....

I was just reacting to Dr. Peaceful's post re: an OTT site.

I'm on-board with your position on this, although I do also have concerns for individual bandwidth. Special concerns for someone who may be operating on a crippled system while debugging a problem and relying on HWA for help. The less taxing on system resources in those cases the better.

Gerritt Mar 27, 2008, 12:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
john albrich said:
Gerritt said:
...Am I such a joke now that the present posters just ignore what I was trying to say?...
I don't really care what your bandwidth is, it is the bandwidth of HWA that I'm concerned about, and I think a profile based avitar is better than a post avitar, though none is better from my perspective....

I was just reacting to Dr. Peaceful's post re: an OTT site.

I'm on-board with your position on this, although I do also have concerns for individual bandwidth. Special concerns for someone who may be operating on a crippled system while debugging a problem and relying on HWA for help. The less taxing on system resources in those cases the better.

John, once again, we are in agreement. The cleaner it is, the better it is, especially for those with low bandwidth. But what is it that these types of folks are looking for?
Good answers with the shortest turnaround, and with the minimal load time. John, I've been hither and yaun, and don't know of a single site that has given the same degree of Power expertise as you have done here. I wanted to point out that the others may want to see the personalization that is intrensic to other sites, here.
Given the present text centric environment, I think it is good that we do so, but at the same time, permit those that want to be more expressive to do so within the profile area, vs. the inline post area.
Having explained myself, I still think that we are in agreement on this.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
john albrich Mar 27, 2008, 03:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 27, 2008, 03:53am EDT

Another appearance/ease-of-use item:

Provide for auto wrap-around of long URLs to a fixed-maximum-width, so that the width of the thread page is not dictated by some gazillion-characters long URL. Those super-wide pages drive me crazy.

This would also eliminate the need for "tinyurl" which I believe is not only an HWA archival vulnerability, but a user security and privacy issue as well (all three of which I've mentioned before).

Gerritt Mar 28, 2008, 07:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
john albrich said:
Another appearance/ease-of-use item:

Provide for auto wrap-around of long URLs to a fixed-maximum-width, so that the width of the thread page is not dictated by some gazillion-characters long URL. Those super-wide pages drive me crazy.

This would also eliminate the need for "tinyurl" which I believe is not only an HWA archival vulnerability, but a user security and privacy issue as well (all three of which I've mentioned before).

As a "big screen" bigot, I've been hammered before for my inclusion of the gazillion character URLs. I couldn't understand the bad feedback that I recieved until I had to work a 800x600 screen, but even then I could scrape it into notepad, then repost it. Being able to post the originating URL gives a better if not totally secure point of reference.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Jan 09, 2009, 12:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
* bump *

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.