Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1397 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 10:39am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Overclocking /

Asus striker extreme overclocking with c2q q6600 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
tom cauley Sep 06, 2009, 01:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus striker extreme overclocking with c2q q6600
Thanks very much Shawn. That's a great article you sent. I will have to read it over a few more times. The problem again is that when I go into my BIOS I can't seem to find things that have the exact same labels. I'm sure if I keep reading I will eventually figure it out. I'm a bit chicken because my Blackbird was a lemon (in my opinion) and has gone back to the shop 3 times for things like constant blue screens, one slow SATA port, a failed RAID 0 array etc.

To answer your question, with the Ai thing I chose the standard 15% setting, after finding that the 20% one made my computer freeze after it booted into Vista. I then went into Tools where I used a Tuning thing to bump up the CPU External frequency to 312 MHz. So I'm reading a processor speed of 2812.54 a CPU voltage of 1.28 and FSB of 1250. I have liquid cooling so I guess I should be able to push this thing.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Shawn Langley Sep 06, 2009, 02:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wouldn't expect an OEM water cooling system to perform as well as a custom built system but yes being liquid based should help a lot.....having said that I am not too familiar with the quality of a Voodoo PC's interiors so you might find it performs as well as a swiftech block and a nice laing pump time will tell.

But start adding a little voltage to your over clock and keep a close eye on the temperatures while running prime95 for a little while, everyone has their own limits but id say 65oC is getting warm while nothing over 70oC (The actual chip is rated to something like 90 but its best to have a safety net in case something's not reading right)

Voltage....1.3v is around stock so try 1.35v maybe eventually 1.4v see how you get on I wouldn't venture much further than that for now see how it goes. There may be an option called "load line calibration" enable that if its present see if it helps at all.

Also do you know if you have the B3 or G0 revision of the Q6600? Download a program called CPUz and it will say.

Having voices in your head is normal. Listening to them, common. Arguing, acceptable. However, when you lose the argument, you're in trouble.
Shawn Langley Sep 06, 2009, 02:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
O just to mention as long as you are just messing with the FSB and the multiplier you shouldn't be able to irreversibly break anything as long as you are sensible. A BIOS reset should resolve any failure's to boot if you go too far...assuming the system doesn't just recover itself after a failed boot. Its the voltage adjustments that cause pain to the system so be careful with it.

Having voices in your head is normal. Listening to them, common. Arguing, acceptable. However, when you lose the argument, you're in trouble.
tom cauley Sep 06, 2009, 11:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Shawn,

Thanks again. I checked and mine is a G0. Did I read somewhere that that is the better of the 2 for overclocking?

Shawn Langley Sep 07, 2009, 04:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Generally yes it is...produces less heat will allow you to push it further ^.^ I reckon you'll see 3.0ghz without too much hurt maybe 3.2. Keep tweaking :)

Plug & Play Sep 07, 2009, 05:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Just stumbled across this topic. I bought this exact board the week it was released back in the day...and within a day the board blew and took my RAM with it. I cant believe peeps are still having trouble with this board.

But to get a stable overclock you gotta use the bios mate.....What I try to do is get the timings on my RAM as tight as possible and then overclock the CPU. Google your board and look on Xtreme system forums you will get a guide on there.

i5 2500K @ 4.8Ghz- Corsiar H50 WaterCooler- Coolermaster Realpower 1000w- Asus P8P67 Deluxe - Asus 6990 4GB - 8GB Corsair DDR3 2000Mhz - X-Fi Sound - 7.1 Surround Speakers - BenQ 24" TFT - G9x Mouse- G19 Keyboard
tom cauley Oct 04, 2010, 10:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well here we are a year later and I finally did it. I dropped the multiplier to 8 and upped the FSB to 1800 for an OC of 3600 from the stock 2400. I have the RAM voltage at 2.1 which is what my 8 gigs of Dominator says on itThe mobo says it takes 1.8V RAM. I also upped the voltage on Vcore, NB, SB and changed some other stuff. It's very stable and I have not tried going higher.

But now I am bored and want to go faster withoiut doing damage I would like to buy the fastest processor I can for the Striker extreme but it loooks to my like the fastest LGA 775's like the 9000 series are not acceptible because they are 32 nm?

Meats_Of_Evil Oct 05, 2010, 12:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Lol that's an awesome comeback. How high is your v-core? also what speed and timings is your RAM at?

I would love to get a 3.6 ghz overclock on my Q6600 but the v-core increments that I need to make it stable generate too much heat for my cpu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything I write is Sarcasm.
tom cauley Oct 05, 2010, 03:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Meats_Of_Evil said:
Lol that's an awesome comeback. How high is your v-core? also what speed and timings is your RAM at?

I would love to get a 3.6 ghz overclock on my Q6600 but the v-core increments that I need to make it stable generate too much heat for my cpu.

Here is all that I have done to finally have some success. I think I am finally learning a bit. I’ve done a lot of Goggling to see e\what other people have for OC settings but usually I got confused or lost because they always had a different BIOS. My Blackbird came with an HP 5.5 BIOS which I upgraded to 5.6. Using the AI Overclock I could get 15% or after upgrading to 8 gigs of RAM 20%. It didn’t like 8 gigs and I noticed the Dominator RAM said 2.1 V on it while the Striker called for 1.8 V RAM. I then read that I could up the NB voltage to 1.4. This solved the RAM problem.

I then tried the latest ASUS BIOS 1901 but it was actually worse for Overclocking i.e. only 15% using the AI Overclock. I still felt like a total amateur for using the AI OC with its 5, 10 15 and 20% settings.

I then read about DOWNgrading the ASUS Bios to the 1300 series one but my computer would not accept that. I then tried the next one up i.e. 1504 and now this I think was a huge breakthrough. Now I was finding other peoples settings that actually read like the ones in my 1504 so I could start plugging in numbers. I found one in particular where the guy lowered the multiplier to 8 and raised the FSB to 1700. I went to 1700 but then quickly upped it to 1800. I have not tried to go higher (yet) .Here is what I have now. I’ve played around with the voltages a bit. It seems quite stable.

FSB - Memory Clock Mode [Unlinked]
FSB (QDR), MHz [1800]
MEM (DDR), MHz [850] (increased this from 800.) It actually reads 843.8 now.

CPU Multiplier [8.0]

Over Voltage
VCore Voltage [1.51250]
Memory Voltage set to 2.1V to match my Dominator RAM
1.2v HT Voltage [1.50]
NB Core Voltage [1.45]
SB Core Voltage [1.50]
CPU VTT Voltage [Auto]
DDR II Controller Ref Voltage [Auto]
DDR II Channel A Ref Voltage [Auto]
DDR II Channel B Ref Voltage [Auto]

My Rig
• HP Blackbird 002
• Quad Core Q6600 GO version OC’d to 3600 (from 2400)
• Windows 7 64 bit
• 2 x 150 gig Raptors in RAID 0
• Many other drives both internal and USB
• Blu Ray Burner
• DVD Burner
• 4 x 2 gig DIMMS of Corsair Dominator RAM PC2-8500 1066 MHz - OK on my RAM it says latency 5-5-5-15. In the BIOS it says 4-4-4-12. Should I change this in the BIOS to the 5-5-5-15 or even something else? And what is meant by “loosen up your RAM”? I keep reading this in Overclocking forums and instructions.

In the System Clocks Page I added 1 to each setting so now they read 101, 101, 101 and 201. Maybe you can tell me why I did this. I copied it from someone else’s settings but don’t even know what they mean LOL. Should I even put them back to where they were?
Temps hit 70C after up to 2.5 hours of Prime 95 – no problems. When idling they are in the 40’s, maybe even hit 50 when doing usual work or surfing.

However I get the odd minor problem such as just now I woke it from sleeping since yesterday and got a BSOD “memory_management”. This has happened several times under same circumstances. What does it mean??? When this happens if I push the reset button that restarts it then it can not detect the RAID array. However if I shut it OFF and re-start, then no problemo at all. This seems minor to me but on the other hand I don’t like BSOD’s due to some very bad past experiences.

Also in Windows Control Panel the 3 power option choices are still there in Control panel but you can not change each one’s settings or timings anymore.

Anything you can suggest or teach me about RAM timings would be greatly appreciated and if I have left anything out just let me know.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.