Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1392 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 04:39am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Engineering /

20k Raptor In the Works 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
mothow Jun 13, 2008, 06:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: 20k Raptor In the Works
I bet they wont even be close to affordable

ASRock Z97 Extreme 4 / i7 4790K / Corsair H80i / 4x4GB Crucial Ballistix Smart Tracer DDR3 1600 / 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black / 240GB Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD / 2x Evga GTX 670 FTW 2GB in SLI / Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty / Corsair HX1000w
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
FordGT90Concept Jun 13, 2008, 06:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Initially, it will be expensive but since it probably is a 10K RPM drive, the price will probably come down pretty quick and rest just above the other 10K drives they offer.

SuPeR Xp Jun 13, 2008, 07:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Yeah, that does make sense. 2 x 10k RPM platers stripped between the platters which theoretically means it handles data at the speed of a 20k RPM even though it isn't. That makes sense--but dirty.

Well that is what I head from somewhere ;)
Two drives in RAID 0 something like hardware Raid 0.

-------------------------------------------------
Custom AMD HAF 932 Red Dragon GAMING MOD!!!
http://www.techpowerup.com/gallery/2442.html
FordGT90Concept Jun 13, 2008, 09:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The official term for it is platter striping. In order to get around the patent, they are probably implementing it in a slightly different way than listed here:
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/7324301/claims.html

john albrich Jun 13, 2008, 10:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 13, 2008, 10:11pm EDT

Or, they might have obtained a license to the patent. There's also a LOT of patent cross-licensing done in the computer hardware and software industries. Cross-licensing allows companies to use each others' patent(s) for no cost...like "We'll let you use our patents A, B, and C, if you let us use your patents X, Y, and Z....that sort of thing.

G. G. Jun 14, 2008, 12:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
FordGT90Concept said:
Yeah, that does make sense. 2 x 10k RPM platers stripped between the platters which theoretically means it handles data at the speed of a 20k RPM even though it isn't. That makes sense--but dirty.

isnt that kinda like marketing with memory speed ??? DDR800 = PC64000.... the bigger the number on the box the better???????

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.