Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1493 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 12:20am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Windows XP, 2000, 98 /

how do i disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Hali Barbowa Apr 22, 2010, 12:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: how do i disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing?
I am having the same problem. How exactly do I disable the BIOS memory, or whatever it is? By the way, I have the code, but where do I put the code? I am totally lost!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Nivedita Sandeep May 07, 2010, 09:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey i am also facing the same problem, kindly give the procedure in simple words how to disable shadowing in BIOS.

from start up i entered set up, but did not find any option of shadowing in it.

i own lenevo y410 3000 series notebook n phoenix bios.3.05 version

Kindly help..

Thanks in advance...

Nick Farrah Dec 31, 2010, 06:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Don't know if this will work universally, but it worked for me on my Dell Latitude D520 running Windows XP when I was getting this error the first time I used Mozy to back up my files. Click on Start, click on Run, type msconfig, hit enter. Click on the Services tab. Scroll down until you see "Volume Shadow Copy". Unselect it. Click "Enable all" near the bottom of the dialog box. Restart your computer. Good luck.

john albrich Dec 31, 2010, 11:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 01, 2011, 12:28am EST

I realize this is an older thread, but that last post was misinformation. Do NOT follow those instructions to address this BIOS/cacheing issue.

Disabling VSS can cause important programs to stop working properly, and worst-case could cause loss of data (usually by causing the failure of backup programs and/or procedures).

VSS (Volume Shadow Service) has nothing to do with whether or not cacheing is enabled/disabled. They are totally different animals.

VSS is an Microsoft OS file handling SOFTWARE Service, primarily having to do with providing the ability to copy files that are in use by the system...e.g. by backup programs.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc757854%28WS.10%29.aspx

It's availability depends on which OS one is using. For example, Win2000 does not support VSS and programs that rely on that service won't work or will have to try to use an alternative method of trying to access current data (such as file locking)...which may or may not be successful.

BIOS cache memory settings are a HARDWARE function, and vary from computer to computer. Some provide them, some don't. Some provide cacheing of video RAM to system RAM as well. In either case, IF available it is selected via a sub-menu(s) within the BIOS Settings screen, which is entered by the user by invoking specific key(s) during the boot-up screen. If the option is not available within these sub-menus then the user cannot enable/disable it.

edit: changed from wiki source to microsoft source of VSS explanation

jawaid khan Mar 02, 2011, 10:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello sir, i m jawaid have me HP laptop & comming continue blue screen in technical information:***stop: 0x0000001A(0x00041287,0x7FFF0000,0x00000000,0x00000000) what i do

andre john Feb 01, 2012, 07:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with my Windows 7............please what should I do?

declan bonn Feb 01, 2012, 02:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> dell e4300 latitude help
hi peeps i am trying to disable the cmos chip on my Dell latitude...the problem is i cannot find it on my board.i have taken the laptop apart and cannot locate the chip......ks24c02....i believe this is the chip that stores the cmos information.please could someone help me locate this chip as it is driving me mad that i cant find it....yours very very very very greatful in advance Declan in Ireland

kommalapati amarnath Jan 05, 2013, 09:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hali Barbowa said:
I am having the same problem. How exactly do I disable the BIOS memory, or whatever it is? By the way, I have the code, but where do I put the code? I am totally lost!

kommalapati amarnath Jan 05, 2013, 09:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 05, 2013, 09:19am EST

iam amarnath using samsung rc520 laptop & comming continue blue screen in technical information:*** stop:0x000000f4

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.